How to Style Converse

I recently bought a pair of Converse sneakers. Yes, I know, a little late to the party. I mean, I knew (from Pinterest) that they were super cute, but let me tell you, they are also cozy, practical and go with everything. Literally, I don’t think you can go wrong styling Converse. So I thought it would be fun to put together some outfits to give you a few ideas on how to style Converse sneakers. Then, if you don’t already own them, you need to grab a pair.

How to Style Converse

how to style your converse

These types of shoes are also called Chuck Taylors. Did you know why? I had to look it up, but in the 1920’s a basketball player & shoe salesmen (because those go together), Chuck Taylor, became a spokesmen for these shoes. They have been called Chuck Taylors — or Chucks — since then! Little tidbit for ya!

So for this post I took some inspiration from Pinterest because, well, duh, and then recreated my own outfits from what I had. I have a whole board on how to style converse. Yep.ย But you know me, I don’t like to spend extra money if I don’t have to, so of course, I used what I had in my closet. I always want to encourage you guys that even when you see a super cute outfit on Pinterest, look first to your own closet before you buy anything. A lot of times you can recreate it with what you already have! Remember my tips on how to get the most out of your wardrobe? Still applies! Then if you don’t have it and you feel like it would be a good fit for your wardrobe, you know it will be a good purchase. That’s shopping smart!

How to style converse – chunky sweater & boyfriend jeans

how to style chucks - chunky sweater and boyfriend jeans

aztec cardigan // black tee // beanie // boyfriend jeans // Converse

Doesn’t this combo just look delightful? It’s like a mom uniform but cute. It’s been a go-to for me lately. It’s especially lovely for the spring since the chunky cardigan adds some warmth but isn’t too much and you can toss the beanie off if it’s too warm. I am wishing it was too warm here. It’s getting there, but not quite…

Here’s my take on this one.

how to style chucks - chunky sweater and boyfriend jeans

My husband’s beanie, my old, ripped-up, make-shift boyfriend jeans, Chucks, and warm aztec sweater. Love it. I do need a new pair of boyfriend jeans though. These are just old jeans that got ripped up and I call them boyfriend jeans… I’ve got my eyes on this pair

How to style converse: Maxi Dress

how to style converse - maxi dress

dress // jean jacket // Converse

Yes, you can style your converse with a maxi dress! This maxi is from Gap and it’s super comfortable. Paired with a jean jacket and your Chucks, you’ve got the perfect spring outfit. Here is how I styled my Converse with a maxi dress.

how to style converse - maxi dress

I ended up loving this outfit. Like I said, super comfortable, goes perfect with the Chucks, and perfect for spring! It’s time to bust out the maxi dresses, ladies! Spring is here! (or should be very, very soon!)

How to style converse: With a dress

sweater dress and converse

Dressย (Plus Size version here)ย // Bag // Converse

I wouldn’t have originally thought to add the leopard to this outfit combo, but since it’s a neutral (yes, it is!) it definitely goes! I got the inspiration for this look here and I thought that was so cute! Now all I need to finish off my look is the bag!

how to style converse - with a dress

I bought this dress and another one like it when I was in San Francisco for the Stitch Fix vacay back in October. I fell in love. I have been looking for something like this since I saw Rachel wear one like it in Friends. Hers wasn’t striped, but a long-sleeved, sweater dress that is also long in length as well. The great thing about a dress like this one is that you can dress it up with a pair of heels or wear it casually with some boots or Converse! I hadn’t worn it with Converse before but I saw this super cute picture on Pinterest and knew I needed to try it.

Here are the looks I put together with the inspiration pictures I found on Pinterest. The maxi dress is from this site and the striped Navy dress is from here. Thanks for the inspiration ladies!

how to style your converse

So there you have it! Three simple ways to style Converse kicks! If you don’t have a pair already, you’ve gotta grab some.ย They go with everything, are comfortable to wear, and practical for every day life – they really are the perfect shoe!

Do you have a pair of Converse? If so, how do you style them? If not, what are you waiting for?! Grab a pair!

19 Responses to How to Style Converse

1. Ada March 18, 2015 at 1:09 am #

This is the one pair of sneakers I want the most. You did a great job styling them, especially with the jeans.

Have a great day! Ada.

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Seriously, they were a great purchase for me, I have loved them so far! Hope you get to get a pair!

2. Lynn March 18, 2015 at 3:26 am #

What type of socks (if any) do you wear with them? TIA

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 5:06 am #

I don’t wear any socks with mine, which I might pay for later when they start to smell! But maybe some really low socks would work! Hope this helps!

• Cheri March 28, 2015 at 12:22 pm #

They actually sell socks that are specifically made to wear with Converse and are made by Converse. The socks are super low cut and thinner than normal athletic socks. I got mine from DSW and love them. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natalia March 29, 2015 at 3:37 am #

oh that does help! I will definitely be checking those out soon!

3. Marta March 18, 2015 at 7:55 am #

Chucks are one of the items on my spring wish list & these are so many cute ways to style them!
    Marta

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Yes there are! You should grab a pair! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Amanda March 18, 2015 at 9:03 am #

I wear mine with maxi skirts, boyfriend jeans, skinny jeans, dresses. I got a pair of light gray ones for Christmas and I love them so much! My mom even just bought herself a pink pair and a white pair!

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 4:49 am #

I know! Now that I have the white ones, I want to add more to my collection! Grey sounds like a good color to start with!

5. Beata March 20, 2015 at 5:01 am #

I wear them with a jeans ! I like haw you stylish them – fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• Natalia March 24, 2015 at 6:03 am #

Thank you! They are great with jeans!

6. Madaline March 20, 2015 at 6:25 am #

AHHH I need a pair. They have become wildly popular here in Italy and I keep passing shops with them in the window every.single. morning. I want them in sky blue…

• Natalia March 24, 2015 at 6:03 am #

I am starting to think about what color I want next! Trying not to be boring and go for black.. maybe red? They’re so fun and versatile!

7. Alex April 25, 2015 at 11:40 am #

Ha! I have that exact grey Gap dress and wear it my denim jacket and Cons all the time, usually my red hightops or my chartreuse low ones! Definitely wear socks as they will keep you blister and shoe stink free ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Stefani May 9, 2016 at 7:24 pm #

I recently bought a pair after years of putting my adorable boys in them. I always had my boys wear thin socks to keep the foot stink down. However, when I see women I don’t see socks? I’m curious if you wear socks. If you don’t do your feet start stinking? Lol.

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 9:35 am #

I do it both ways actually. There are some socks you can buy that are really low that aren’t so bad, you can’t see them. But when I can’t find those socks or don’t have the time, I slip them on without socks! Try putting baby powder in them or actually baking soda is a great way to grab the stink out!

9. Laura Williams October 25, 2016 at 2:57 am #

I love how you’ve styled these! I wear mine with a pair of skin coloured socks. I’m not sure what they’re called but I refer to them as ‘dolly shoe socks’ because they have the same cut as dolly shoes so are invisible when wearing a pair of Converse. I have this style of white Converse which are surprisingly easy to keep clean: https://www.treds.co.uk/unisex/trainers/converse/136823c-ct-ox/white/38i8

• Natalia November 2, 2016 at 10:52 am #