4 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now

I have to admit something. My hair has been looking mighty frail lately. And I just don’t like it.

Remember back in January when I tried out that ‘no-poo’ fad? Well, ya, I think I’m still paying for it. My hair hasn’t been the same since and it got me thinking. In reality, it’s going to be a process for me to get my hair back looking and feeling healthy again. Thankfully I didn’t do the no-poo method for very long! But in the meantime, while I am nursing my hair back to life, what can I do so that it doesn’t look so… gross?

Then this post title popped into my head – Thing You Can Do Right Now to Make Your Hair Look Healthier! It’s a little long so I settled with the current post title – 4 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now. So if you are struggling with dead ends or lifeless hair like me, keep reading!

4 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now

things you can do for healthier hair

Now, just to be clear, there are a lot of things you can do to maintain healthy hair and to have healthier hair over all. I wrote a whole post about it. These 4 tips for healthier hair I’m sharing today are really just things you can do immediately to help your hair look healthier. So continue to follow these tips over all and if you need a little hair pick-me-up, then check out the 4 tips below!

Get a trim

Yep, this is probably the best thing you can do. Trims are crucial for healthier hair. Trust me, I should know, I haven’t had one in a while! I’m walking proof that trims are a good thing. So call your hair stylist and make an appointment, mama’s hair needs some life. If it’s not in the budget to get your hair trimmed when you need it, try the local beauty school. The prices are a lot cheaper and it’s hard to mess up a trim. Also you’re helping someone get some good practice!

**Side Note** – let me just clarify that just because some kind of ‘hair law’ dictates that you get a trim every 6 weeks doesn’t mean you have to! If you’re hair is looking healthy and you don’t see a lot of split ends, then you don’t need a trim! Make sure you talk with your stylist about how often you should get them done. If they are pushing for a trim every 6 weeks when you really don’t feel like you need it, they might just be trying to get an extra $30 weeks out of ya! Know your hair!

Do your color

healthier hair at home

This one saved me. I hadn’t colored my hair in… well, in a long time. It was bad. My husband was all “Hey babe, when are you getting your color done?” His nice way of saying “Dang girl, your hair needs some work!” So when my parents were visiting last week, one of the first nights they were here, we busted out the Madison Reed and got it done. It took my hair from brassy, faded reddish- brown to a healthy, deep red-brown. So. Much. Better. It can get pricey if you only go to your stylist, but if you can, try coloring your hair yourself at home. Madison Reed has a system where the product is delivered to your house every ____ weeks (you choose the time between color) so you can always know that you have your color waiting for you! A fresh color with a fresh trim will really step up your hair game.

Deep condition

deep conditioner for healthier hair

It’s really as easy as some coconut oil at home – no need to go to the salon or buy some fancy deep conditioning treatment. My favorite is a mixture of coconut oil & Argan oil whipped together and applied at night. (If you’re not into DIY beauty – this deep conditioning treatment is great) Check out my 2 ingredient hair mask you can do at home. I did it last week and LOVE the results! If you don’t want to sleep with the deep conditioner in, then just apply it when you have time and leave it on for an hour or so. Make sure you wash it out completely though, otherwise it will just look greasy. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!

Also, if you don’t have time do add the deep conditioner before hand and leave it over night or even for an hour, try switching out your regular conditioner for a nice deep conditioner once every couple weeks (or once a week for curly hair). Leave it in while you shave your legs and lather up then rinse like normal. You’ve got a deep conditioning treatment without any extra time!

Hair gloss

hair gloss for healthier hair

An amazing alternative to hair color and definitely something you can do yourself, hair gloss is like a deep conditioning/semi-permanent hair color all in one. It boosts color and shine, repairs and protects, replenishes lost color at the ends, corrects tones & eliminates brassiness all the while adding a high-shine finish! In my opinion, the best way to use a gloss is between colors. It’s semi-permanent and lasts up to 8 washes. If you are looking to save money and go longer in between salon visits – this is the perfect solution. If you don’t color your hair and still want the added shine the hair gloss can give you, there is a clear gloss just for you!

Well there you have it! Four simple tips you can do right now to have healthier hair! So if you’ve got a party coming up or are just tired of feeling like your hair is breaking off everywhere (me!) this is for you. Even if you just do a couple of them you’d still see improvement!

Anything you’d add to the list? I’d love to hear your tips too!

25 Responses to 4 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now

1. Emily March 17, 2015 at 1:44 am #

Great post! I’m not sure if colouring is so good for your hair, but I adore the idea of the coconut and argain oil whip! I’ll defiantly be trying that out.

Much love,
    Emily❭❭ peroxidefox

• Natalia March 17, 2015 at 6:55 am #

If you chose a product like Madison Reed where they take out the bad stuff like ammonia, resorcinol, PPD, and parabens, then it actually isn’t as bad for you! You have a good point though, typical drug store products might not help your hair be healthier, just momentarily look healthier because the color is nicer!

2. Monica March 18, 2015 at 6:34 am #

What color Madison Reed do you use? Your hair is gorgeous!

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 4:51 am #

It’s called Trieste Red. Thank you! 🙂

3. Mary K March 18, 2015 at 8:30 am #

Where is the Madison Reed hair gloss available? Or do you have to buy it online?

• Natalia March 19, 2015 at 4:50 am #

Right now it’s only available online. Unless you’re in the San Francisco area, I think they have salons there. Otherwise the links are in the post!

4. Laura Dembowski March 21, 2015 at 7:24 am #

I just posted about Moroccanoil products on my blog. They are so good for my hair!

• Natalia March 24, 2015 at 6:02 am #

Oh I saw, those look great! I haven’t tried the hairspray, I’ll have to do that soon!

5. Rachel May 5, 2015 at 10:22 pm #

Ok, just to clarify this really important point.

Coloring your hair maybe look more healthy right now, but it is NOT healthy for neither your skin or your hair. No matter what. There are chemicals in all hair coloring products to make it last and these chemicals are going in to your body. Would you dye your babies hair with hair coloring product? You would never do that, right 🙂 Because we are aware its not healthy.

But you are absolutely right about about it looking more healthy on a short term! 🙂

• Natalia May 11, 2015 at 2:07 am #

Well, that’s what the post was about! Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now! I do chose Madison Reed which is a healthier version on hair dye, but I am aware that’s it’s still chemicals.

• Krystal June 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

So let me clarify that coloring your hair does NOT seep or cause harm to your body. However, it does damage your hair over time. I do have to agree that a fresh color makes your hair look fabulous! Just the long term effects aren’t so great. P.s love the post!

• Natalia June 27, 2015 at 10:57 am #

I completely agree! if you’re looking for a quick fix, this could be it! If you’re thinking over time, maybe not so much 🙂

• elle October 3, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

red henna 100% chemical free i have used it and it is wonderful.

6. Wizmo July 13, 2015 at 11:17 pm #

Hi,

I do agree with Krystal that hair coloring will surely damage the hair. But we can use natural products like Henna or mehendi to color our hair. It is completely safe and it nourishes the hair too.

7. Veronica Marks November 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm #

I just moved to a state with super dry air, and after living in Florida for a few years, it’s made my hair go crazy! I definitely think a deep condition would help it a ton. Thanks for the tip for the 2 ingredient hair mask! I’ll have to try that out this weekend.

• Natalia November 23, 2015 at 11:04 am #

Yes, I think it will help! When it’s dry out, putting moisture back in your hair is important!

8. Cassady Leiper December 29, 2015 at 7:10 am #

This is really helpful. But I have only one question. How often do you recommend getting a trim?

9. Ginger February 4, 2016 at 1:10 pm #

Hey there!! I love your color! Can you tell me which shade you use? Thanks for the article! Great info!!

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:16 am #

I use Venezia Brown and Trieste Red from Madison Reed. Love it!

• Erin July 21, 2016 at 7:47 pm #

Do you combine them at a 1:1 ratio? It’s stunning. I switched from all over color to highlights/lowlights because color faded from my grays after two washes no matter what. I like it but not sure if it would look fake in the winter. Your color makes me want to go back to all over color.

• Natalia August 16, 2016 at 6:51 am #

Yes, I just combine the two boxes into one big color and it’s exactly what I want!

10. Barbara Wilson May 31, 2016 at 5:16 am #

This post is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I love the your recommendation!

1. healthy beauty tips | Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in - March 23, 2015

[…] 4 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair Right Now http://manouvellemode.com/Even if you've been fighting breakage and dull hair for a while, these 4 simple tips will help you get healthier hair right now. They're easy & inexpensive! […]

2. 20 Ways to Take Care of Your Hair | Short Hairstyles Trends Curly Thin Thick Hair - December 2, 2015

[…] Healthier Hair via (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || […]

3. 20 modi per prendersi cura dei tuoi capelli - modelli di capelli - March 28, 2018

[…] Ottieni capelli più sani attraverso […]