Homemade Face Cream for Oily Skin

You guys may have noticed by now that I like to make some of my beauty products at home. I have gone to a completely natural face care routine and couldn’t be happier. I still wear normal makeup and I’m not sure if I’ll stop that anytime soon, but for the skin care, I’m loving that it’s natural! I have also seen a huge difference in the way my face has cleared up as well, so I’m loving it!

Today I have a homemade face cream or oily skin recipe for you. It’s really fun to experiment with all these natural ingredients and see results, I’m loving it! One of these days I’m gonna do a post with my whole routine with a video so you can see how it’s done. But for now, the homemade face cream for oily skin!

The reason I think this cream is great for the day is because it’s lightweight and doesn’t feel oily. You’ll see when I tell you the ingredients why they’re great for a face cream for oily skin! Let’s get to it!

Homemade Face Cream for Oily Skin

homemade face cream for oily skin

Here is what you’ll need:

Now remember when I shared my whipped face lotion for sensitive skin? I mentioned that each oil that I include in making lotions has a comedogenic rating — 0 being won’t clog pores and 5 being highly likely to. The jojoba oil and the beeswax are a 2 rating and the hemp seed oils is 0. So you’re keeping the rating of this lotion nice and low which is perfect for a face cream for oily skin!

Now I love to explain why these ingredients are so good for our skin. It’s why I like to make lotion myself, because you can see all the awesomeness going into it!

Jojoba Oil – This is actually not an oil at all but more of a waxy substance that is very similar to our skin’s natural oil called sebum. Because of this, it is said that this oil can ‘trick’ our skin into thinking it’s producing enough oil, which helps balance oil production. It has been know to help acne, psoriasis, sunburn and chapped skin. Perfect for oily skin!

Hemp Seed Oil – This oil is a dry oil and with a comedogenic rating of 0, it is very unlikey that it will clog your pores. It’s known for reducing the size of pores, blackheads, and acne. It also can prevent premature aging, and is effective in maintaining moisture balance.

Beeswax – I used this mainly as a way to thicken this cream, but it’s also great for your skin! It provides a film of protection against irritants while still allowing the skin to breathe. It’s also a comedogenic rating of 2 so that’s still pretty low. It locks moisture in and has a lot of healing benefits as well because of it’s anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral benefits.

Aloe Vera Gel – Aside from feeling great on a sunburn, aloe vera gel can be great for treating acne, reduce inflamation in the skin, and help your skin heal quickly and naturally. It’s also great for reducing wrinkles with it’s plethora of antioxidants including, beta carotene, vitamin C and E. (source)

Essential oils –  As I mentioned Tea TreeRosemaryLavenderFennel and citrus oils are great for oily skin. I would start with what you have and blend them to create what you want. I suggest about 5 drops each of 3 or 4 oils. I would encourage you to play around with the oils you like to create a smell you like as well!

homemade day cream

Now for the instructions. It’s also very easy. Here you go:

• With a double broiler, heat the jojoba, hemp, rosehip seed, and beeswax together until combined.
  • Remove from heat and let it cool a bit.
  • After you can see it’s started to cool and solidify, with a hand mixer, start whipping it up. While whipping, add the aloe vera gel, and essential oils.
  • Once it’s all whipped up, you should have a lovely face cream!

See, so simple! Not as simple as last week, but still not too involved.

What do you think, is this an homemade face cream for oily skin you’d like to try? I am having a ton of fun making (and using!) these!! I am loving the results too – that’s always motivating!

Have a great day!

64 Responses to Homemade Face Cream for Oily Skin

1. Emma March 17, 2015 at 8:04 am #

Nice recipe, I will make this face cream tomorrow.
    I cant wait
    Thanks

2. Konnie May 24, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I’m confused….Your directions mention rose hip seed oil, but the ingredients don’t.

• Natalia June 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

Sorry about this, I used it for my lotion which is very similar, but it’s not great for oily skin, so I took it out. I just forgot to take it out of the directions I guess! You can use it, it’s great for agin skin, you can use about a teaspoon. If not, just leave it out entirely!

3. D June 3, 2015 at 7:35 am #

Your ingredients list does not list rose hip seed oil, but the instructions do. Was that a mistake, or how much do you use? Thanks!

• Natalia June 4, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Oh sorry about that! I did use Rose Hip seed oil, but it’s not the greatest ingredient for oily skin, so I took it out. I use about a teaspoon if you want to add it. It’s great for aging, but not so much for oily skin!

4. KAREN August 4, 2015 at 8:01 am #

Hi Natalia

What is the shelf life for this cream?

• Natalia August 10, 2015 at 9:08 am #

It depends on the shelf life of each ingredient you use. So I would check those and then go by the shortest one just to be sure! Vitamin e helps preserve, but I didn’t include it because it’s not always great for sensitive skin. Worth I try though if you want to prolong the shelf life!

• Vanessa August 30, 2015 at 9:05 am #

Thanks for the recipe. I’d like to use Vit E, how much should I use? Btw, thanks for the comedogenic rating. Really useful.

• Natalia August 30, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

You’re welcome, I’m glad you like it! I would use a teaspoon or even a half a teaspoon if you have oily skin. Start small and then if you think you can handle more, add a little more!

5. Bless August 22, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

Will the Aloe Vera be from a fresh plant or already made store bought product? Thank you.

• Natalia August 30, 2015 at 4:26 pm #

I think the store bought will last longer in the recipe, but the other aloe will work just fine. Add some vitamin e oil for a longer shelf life!

6. Shawna Stobaugh August 28, 2015 at 9:38 pm #

This stuff is amazing! I switched the hemp oil for gradeseed oil, I know it’s good for oily skin & had it on hand. It worked just as good & leaves your skin almost dewy & very subple. Not greasy though. I added ylang ylang, lavender, frankincense, rose, orange & lemon essential oils that are all good for the skin. It has been the only thing I’ve made off Pinterest that I was super excited about being amazing! Thank you so much! I doubled the recipe & have enough for anytime I want. Shawna in Kansas City, MO

• Natalia August 30, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

Oh I am SO glad to hear that you used this and love it!! So good to know! Thanks for the tip about grapes oil, I might try that one next time!

7. Lydia October 27, 2015 at 12:21 pm #

I love this recipe. Is there a print button like you have on your whipped face lotion for sensitive skin? The print button under your share this does not come up as a recipe card. It shows the whole page with all the comments and all the ads. If possible please can you add it? Thank you. 😉

• Natalia October 28, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

I’m sorry, I actually don’t have a print page for this recipe! Maybe take a screen shot of the ingredients and then print thaT? Or write them down? Sorry for the inconvenience!

8. Cheryl November 2, 2015 at 8:20 pm #

Hello! I’ve been wanting to try a recipe for a diy face lotion with hemp seed oil bc it’s higher in linoleic vs oleic. Do you have any suggestions to substitute the jojoba oil and beeswax in your recipe?

9. Heidi OBerg December 9, 2015 at 1:29 pm #

This sounds fantastic. Just a quick question though, I went and bought some raw coconut oil, could I substitute either the jojoba oil or hemp seed oil with the coconut oil?

• Natalia December 16, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

When I was reading about comedogenic ratings on different oils coconut oil actually scored pretty high at a level 4. This means it can clog your pores. So I wouldn’t suggest it although maybe for the rest of your body, just not the face. Eyes might be okay. You could give it a try and if it works great but if you break out, you’ll know why. Just my suggestion!! Hope it helps!

10. Heidi OBerg December 12, 2015 at 3:30 pm #

Can I substitute coconut oil for one or both of the oils used?

• Natalia December 16, 2015 at 5:23 pm #

I am sorry it took so long to answer your comment! I wouldn’t suggest coconut oil, but you can give it a try and see if it works! Coconut oil could clog pores. Let me know what you end up doing!

11. Sandy January 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm #

Hi there, do you think I could add Rosehip seed oil to this? I hear that Rosehip and jojoba oils work really well for oily skin. Thanks!

• Natalia January 14, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Yep! Rosehip see oil is great for your skin and especially anti-aging!

12. D January 23, 2016 at 10:46 pm #

Hi! I was wondering how long you mix this at the end when you combine all the ingredients together. I made this moisturizer and I mixed it with a hand mixer for probably 40 minutes because it was too thin. Also the color of it is more on the green side than yellow. It’s still works amazing though. been using or a week and love it already. Xx

• Natalia January 26, 2016 at 6:31 am #

The green could be because of one of your ingredients. Do any of them have a green tint to them? And I didn’t mix them that long, only until they are combined. Don’t worry about it being thin, it will thicken up when the beeswax hardens. Glad you’re liking it! 🙂

13. ash February 8, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

How long does this keep?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:15 am #

I would check the ingredients on all your products and use that as a date!

• Diana January 7, 2018 at 5:40 am #

Hi, This recipe sounds great but if you have aloe in it you need to add a preservative. Vita e is not a preservative it’s an antioxidant. It will extend shelf life but any recipe containing water won’t last more than a week.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks for your tips!

14. A February 19, 2016 at 3:03 am #

So my face is highly sensitive to comedogenic products, i break out on a 1 even. so is it possible to do this recipie with shea butter and argan oil?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:14 am #

Yes! Use all the products that are 0 if you can!

15. Revathi March 4, 2016 at 6:06 am #

Hi, awesome recipe. I have a question though. Can I replace beeswax with Shea butter ?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:12 am #

Since they’re both pretty thick, I imagine you could. It might have a different texture, but it’ll probably work!

16. Sandy April 4, 2016 at 5:56 pm #

Hi! I’m on my second jar of this lotion. I love it! I added a 1/2 tsp vitamin e oil to see if it will make it last a little longer. Thanks for posting this! 🙂

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Yep, I usually add vitamin e too! Glad you like it! 🙂

17. Eva June 15, 2016 at 10:43 am #

Thank you for this recipe! I will be trying it today. I was wondering if I can incorporate Shea butter in it- maybe split the jojoba part in half. What do you think?

• Natalia June 24, 2016 at 3:42 pm #

You most certainly can! Shea butter is thicker than jojoba oil though, so maybe lessen the amount of beeswax you put in so it’s not too thick. Or replace the beeswax with the shea butter!

18. julixa July 27, 2016 at 10:21 am #

Thank you for this recipe and explanation. Among the listed recipe, which one would lightening the face, if non could I add lightening powder to it?

• Natalia August 16, 2016 at 6:48 am #

I honestly have no idea about lightening powder, so I am no help here!

19. Kay August 12, 2016 at 11:31 pm #

Mine turnes out green like someone mentioned in here. Must be from the hemp seed oil. Do I have to store it in the fridge since hemp seed oil needs to be refrigerated? Also, mine turned out oily/greasy. I wonder what I did wrong….?????…

• Natalia August 16, 2016 at 6:41 am #

Sometimes it feels oily/greasy but in this case it’s a good kind of grease/oil. And the reason this is good for oily skin is because if you are putting oil on your skin, your skin won’t feel like it needs to produce as much. The color & texture is fine/normal. If your hemp seed oil needs refrigerating, then yes, I’d keep it in the fridge or sub out that oil if you don’t’ want to.

20. Zetty August 27, 2016 at 6:55 am #

Can Ireplace hemp seed oil with black cumin oil for oily skin? Thankyou xoxo

• Natalia September 23, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

I actually have no idea bout black hemp seed oil, sorry!!

21. Harry October 4, 2016 at 2:49 am #

Hi there, I’ve made the cream last night and smells great. I’ve got naturally oily skin, I’ve put the cream on but have noticed my face is now even more shiny than before. It that normal?

• Natalia October 10, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

It depends, you know your own skin best, but sometimes it takes a while for your skin to adjust. Maybe give it a little time and see how it works? If it doesn’t adjust try adding some arrowroot powder or something to the cream to make it not as oily? Good luck!

22. Shellie October 31, 2016 at 6:40 pm #

I am in love with Rosehip oil at the moment, using it directly on my face. I have some redness across my nose and cheeks and wondered if there was something more direct I could be using? love this recipe and sharing the link to it on my blog.

23. Angela November 10, 2016 at 8:27 am #

Does this cream help to treat acne & acne scars? how long should I use it to see improvements?

• Natalia November 10, 2016 at 10:52 am #

I’m not sure if this cream works on acne scars. What I would do would be to do some research on some essential oils that work well on scars etc and add those instead of the ones I’ve included.

24. Lauren November 12, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

I’ve started making this and it won’t thicken. It’s still a liquid after a lot of whipping. I tried adding more beeswax, but nope. I grated my beeswax and I’m thinking maybe that’s why? Perhaps if you used pelleted beeswax there was more of it in a teaspoon and a half? I even tried adding some more aloe vera gel. How long did it take yours to get to a cream consistency?

• Natalia November 14, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

As soon as the beeswax starts to harden, the moisturizer hardens. So I would guess that you didn’t have enough beeswax. I used the pellets in mine, so maybe you’re right, maybe it ends up being more. Try adding a little more and see if that helps!

25. Lauren Mazzarella November 28, 2016 at 3:08 pm #

Is it suppose to feel heavy on my face?

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:52 am #

I don’t know about heavy, but it definitely has an oil to it. If you don’t like that you can add some arrow root powder or corn starch to it to eliminate some of the grease! Good luck!

26. Chelsea Smith February 6, 2017 at 4:25 pm #

Can less jojoba oil and more hemp seed oil be used? Jojoba oil is very expensive and one the whole bottle I bought will all have to be used for the recipe.

27. Anju Singhal April 9, 2018 at 4:36 am #

Can I replace hempseed oil with another oil? If so please suggest

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 11:40 am #

Hemp seed oil is non comedogenic so another oil that is not as well would probably work

1. ♥ Top 5 Foundations for Oily Skin (Drugstore) - March 6, 2015

[…] because I've found my absolute holy grail foundation that I'd recommend over all foundations (for oily skin)! I hope this video is helpful and please leave any questions/comments/requests in the comment […]

2. Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in - March 11, 2015

[…] Homemade Face Cream for Oily Skin – Ma Nouvelle Mode http://manouvellemode.com/Store bought face cream for oily skin can have added ingredients and fillers that aren't beneficial. Make your own with this simple all-natural recipe. […]

3. How to make Eyelid Primer for Oily Skin - March 20, 2015

[…] is a homemade primer tutorial, especially for oily skin. You can make using products found in your makeup kit and home. Apply before you put on your shadow […]

4. Fennel Essential Oil 101 – The Essential Penguin - January 17, 2016

[…] Homemade Day Cream for Oily Skin […]

5. DIY Face Cream For Oily Skin – Bath and Body - December 15, 2016

[…] You can grab the full recipe over at manouvellemode.com  […]

6. DIY Face Cream For Oily Skin | It's Handmade - December 15, 2016

[…] You can grab the full recipe over at manouvellemode.com  […]

7. My Blog - April 9, 2018

[…] likes having oily skin. But how do you get rid of it? Try this day cream! It’s lightweight and doesn’t leave your skin feeling oily. It also balances oil production, […]

8. 101 Uses for Jojoba Oil – JojobaOil.com - April 9, 2018