Tips for Biracial Skin Care

**These are my own little brown babies and the tips I use to keep their skin healthy with Aveeno® Baby Daily Moisture Lotion & Baby Wash & Shampoo. This post is part of a sponsored post from SocialStars but as always, all tips & opinions are my own!**

When I married my husband I didn’t think much about what it would be like to raise interracial kids. To have an interracial family. I just loved my husband and I guess I figured everything would work out from there! I was naive and not much of a ‘look to the future’ or ‘think things through’ type gal, so this makes sense. It turns out it’s a lot harder and more involved than I thought! The marriage & raising the kids!

Obviously the differences in our races & cultures could be a ton of posts, but today I am going to talk about hygiene. There are a few things to know about biracial skin care that I’ve learned along the way. I also have been consulting my husband as I write to make sure it makes sense!

Tips for Biracial Skin Care

Biracial skin care tips

Disclaimer: I have two boys. I don’t know much about a caring for a biracial daughter’s hair. It will obviously be the same for biracial skin care, and I have some tips for the hair, but no personal experience. Sorry!

Let’s get to it!

Moisturize

hygiene for biracial kids with Aveeno

My poor baby with his cast! You can see he really needs to moisturize right where the cast is! But it’s hopefully coming off next week!

It’s funny because I had no idea how big of a deal this was. When a white person doesn’t moisturize it really does’t make that much of a difference. I mean, of course it’s healthier to stay moisturized, but you can’t notice it as much. When a black or biracial person doesn’t moisturize it’s called “ashy.” And it’s not a good look. It actually upsets my husband when I forget lotion on our kids. Sorry, babe, I’m learning!! White parents who have adopted black babies – this is an important one!

I have been using my Aveeno® Baby Daily Moisturize Lotion and I love it. Obviously I don’t have babies anymore (although they’re still my babies!) I still think their skin deserves the same gentle ingredients while getting the job done. It doesn’t contain any drying alcohols and lasts for 24 hours! So I can be sure that when I put it on them before school in the morning, they’re good to go for the day. My husband and I have already been using the regular Aveeno® Daily Moisture Lotion, so this for our kids was a no brainer.

Don’t wash often

biracial skin care

I am not even going to say how often (or how un-often) I wash my kids hair. You’ll think I’m gross. I probably am. But the truth is that with the type of hair they have, they don’t need it as much. It is already prone to being dry & coarse, the more you wash it, the more you strip it of it’s natural oils, the dryer it gets! Once a week should be fine, maybe even less if your kids are fully black.

Use moisturizing shampoos

This definitely goes with not washing too much because when you do, you want to make sure you’re using products that aren’t going to strip their hair of the good oils and make it even dryer than before! Mommas, you’re gonna love this one! Aveeno® Baby Wash & Shampoo is perfect. It simplifies things because you can wash their hair and then their bodies in the same swoop. It has ACTIVE NATURALS® Oat Extract which has a soothing effect while gently nourishing their delicate skin. It’s also tear-free, so no worries about screaming babies with soap in their eyes! In fact, this is how my husband rinses the kids hair:

washing hair with Aveeno Baby

Me, no matter what, I tilt their head back gently, put my head on their forehead so it doesn’t run into their eyes. I push the water back through the hair to rinse it down the back, you know how it goes. And then my husband’s all “close your eyes.” And then does this. Thank goodness for tear-free! Gosh, he is such a funny man. And we are SO different!

Don’t use drying products

This may seem obvious, but a lot of products actually have alcohol in them. So even when you’re moisturizing, you’re actually could be drying out the skin more! Like I mentioned, the Aveeno® Baby Lotion has no alcohol, won’t clog pores, is fragrance free (fragrance can be irritating to some skin types), and is hypoallergenic. These reasons are why I’ve chosen to use it for my babies’ skin!

I know it’s a simple thing, but I feel so accomplished when I send my kids off to school dressed nice, hair all spikey, and moisturized up. It doesn’t happen every morning, but it’s what I aim for. I want my kids to feel good about themselves and have it be healthy for their skin at the same time.

I hope this was helpful information! I know that as a white mom of my little brown babies, biracial skin care wasn’t something I knew a lot about to begin with. Thankfully I have my husband to help me learn, but I know a lot of families who have adopted black babies might not have anyone to learn from! Keep them moisturized and love them like crazy and you should be good to go! 🙂

Anything any other moms of mixed babies or black mothers would want to add? I’d love to hear it and I’m sure it’d be helpful for everyone! Thanks for reading & I hope you have a fabulous day!

25 Responses to Tips for Biracial Skin Care

1. Taylor February 3, 2015 at 7:04 am #

Love! I use aveeno on my little brown one too!!
    One thing though: Did your little guys inherit the curls?? Do you keep their hair short or do you rock their curls?? We always end up with fluff 😉

• Natalia February 3, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

Love it!! My boys’ hair is always short because my husband likes them to always look nice and clean and ‘edged up.’ They do have curly hair, but we would have to let it grow pretty long to see the curls. Right now it’s mainly just coarse and thick but not too curly. My little guy used to have amazing curls before we cut it!! I kinda miss them, but they were harder to manage. You could alway try a little gel in their hair to hold the curl and fight the fluff. I did that from time to time with the boys when they had curls. Hope that helps!

• Jordan May 29, 2016 at 4:04 pm #

I have a little brown baby boy too he dead super curly hair and it’s starting to change to daddies hair at the back after his bath with damp hair I use “just for me hair milk” it has Shea butter, soy milk and honey in it and it tames the frizz and poof and defines his curls so they stay nice and smooth love the product and works great… Hope this helps

• Jordan May 29, 2016 at 4:06 pm #

Sorry auto correct he has super curly hair

• Natalia June 24, 2016 at 3:47 pm #

That’s great, thank you! We keep our boys’ hair pretty short so there are never tangles. They also have weird texture where if it’s long enough it would get curly, but it most certainly isn’t curly now. So short is the way to go with it!

2. Demi February 3, 2015 at 10:31 am #

Very cool post! My daughter is bi-racial and I have found alot of the same things to be true for her as you have for your guys. 🙂 Definitely keeping her skin moisturized is a big thing and depending on the time of year it can be more or less needed. Her hair on the other hand is more like mine or my moms, except very thick and black in color and wavy. We have to use a smoothing shampoo to keep Frizz under control. She is only going on 12 so it has been important to keep her hair about shoulder length so she can manage brushing it herself.

• Natalia February 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

Ya, I know it’s different for little mixed girls hair. My boys is always so short that it’s not that big of a deal. But I do like the Aveeno, it’s been working for us. I do kinda sorta wish I had a daughter just a tiny bit when I think of how amazing her hair would be!!

3. christina February 3, 2015 at 2:51 pm #

you are seriously in so much trouble with those boys. HEARTBREAKERS in the making 🙂

• Natalia February 4, 2015 at 4:58 am #

Oh man, don’t tell me!! I’m not looking forward to that!

4. Robin February 6, 2015 at 10:03 pm #

Hello there Natalia! May I first start off by saying that your boys are just absolutely beautiful. I’am so glad that I found your blog as it was a very good read indeed. Iam a black female with a biracial 3 yr old daughter, Elizabeth. Although she did not inherit my hair type (her dad is Lebanese) she definitely does have dry skin and some adorable curls. If I may share, some of the products that I currently use for her hair are Aussie Hair Insurance leave-in conditioner for detangling and Herbal Essences tousling spray gel for the fly aways. They both have a light clean scent to them and work amazingly! I also use Eucerin Original Healing soothing repair cream. It’s super duper thick and a little goes a very long way despite the price…and I swear by it! I have always been curious about Aveno products so thank you very much for suggesting them. Robin:)

• Natalia February 8, 2015 at 3:23 am #

Hey Robin! Thanks for sharing, those are some great tips! I bet your daughter has the most amazing hair! That’s seriously the one thing I ‘miss’ from not having a girl. My husband normally likes to keep our kids hair short and edged up nicely. I like it that way too, and it’s definitely easier! I have been really happy with the Aveeno products so far, so they’re worth a try if you ask me! Thanks for commenting too, I always love hearing from people!

5. Keri May 24, 2015 at 11:07 am #

This is great information for foster care families! My parents began foster care while I was a senior in high school, and the first placement they got was a sibling group of 3 biracial children. They were supposedly 1/4 black and 3/4 white. The oldest was a girl age 4 and had a complexion like your boys with dark kinky curly hair. The middle girl was 3 with fair skin and blonde kinky hair. The The youngest was a baby boy, so his hair wasn’t an issue. They were all beautiful children. The first night we got them my mom and I spent HOURS trying to untangle and manage the girls’ matted hair which didn’t look like it had been washed or even combed in months. It was definitely a learning process seeing that everyone else in the family had stick straight hair and no experience with biracial hair. It took weeks to get their hair looking nice. Wish we would’ve known this information then! Will definitely be saving this for future reference now that my husband and I are looking into foster care.

• Natalia June 4, 2015 at 3:32 pm #

What a lovely story! I love hearing about loving families like yours taking kids in. I am sure they are forever thankful for your love. It can be hard with no experience! I do think about that, at least I have my husband, but it would be hard for people adopting children of a different race. Glad this was helpful!

6. Kat February 23, 2016 at 1:33 am #

I have 3 biracial boys. Ages 7 , 2 and 9 months, and all are completely different in hair and skin. I use coconut oil for both hair and skin for all of them. When. I use other products we love Cantu products and Shea moister product (we use the baby for the youngest)the 7 year old has super dry skin with short, dark brown almost black, dry course hair. The 2 year old has normal skin, with long, light brown with reddish curly (so much that it dreads every single night) thin hair. The baby has oily skin with dark brown super thick course hair (also dreads overnight). I use the wet brush on all of their hair. It’s truly amazing.

7. Elizabeth A. July 7, 2016 at 11:58 am #

Thank you for sharing all these tips and suggestions. My husband and I are getting ready to have our first child and me, being white, had no idea what products to use, or what would be the best for the little one. SOOO glad I came across this post!!

• Natalia July 19, 2016 at 11:10 am #

Glad you liked it! Congrats on your baby, he/she is going to be beautiful!

8. Brandy July 27, 2016 at 6:15 pm #

Your kids are adorable. Love your post i to have a lil man. Did your kids skin ever break out alot on there back and chest. Maybe i need to switch him to the aveno products

9. Brandy July 27, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

Did your babies ever get rashes like they are broke out all the time. I to have a mixed lil boy. Trying to learn how to take care of jis skin but i notice that it has a rash on his back alot. Do you think the aveno products are what he might need. Thanks

• Natalia August 16, 2016 at 6:46 am #

My kids’s skin is really sensitive and they never broke out with Aveeno. I would make sure that whatever you buy, buy hypoallergenic product without coloring or added scents. Hopefully that helps!

10. marie November 26, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Natalia,

Thanks you so very much for the resource!
    I was moisturizing my boy (9 months old) every-other-day after bath and within the last week (I’m sure it’s the change in weather) his skin has suddenly become super dry.
    My boy doesn’t look particularly mixed so I didn’t realize (until now) that his skin appears to look more white skin but behaves more like black skin. Oops! We’re still learning.
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I would hate for him to be uncomfortable due to my ignorance!!!

11. Debbie November 30, 2017 at 5:02 am #

We have a biracial son who is 3 1/2. He likes to wipe his messy hands in his hair while he is eating. We are trying to work on this but it is a process. Is washing his hair once a week really enough? I am open to ideas. Thanks.

12. Michele January 26, 2018 at 6:38 am #

My son’s hair is just like your boys’, but darker. We did keep it short but now he is 11 and wants to grow it out. Any suggestion as to a style? I’m having a hard time with this as he currently just looks messy and unkempt.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 12:05 pm #

I completely understand as my older son is 11 and has this. I think you have to deal with messiness until it’s past that weird in between stage. Just keep it edged up nicely and try some product until it’s through the weirdness. Good luck!

13. Christina March 10, 2018 at 1:21 pm #

What beautiful boys! I have tried aveeno hair products on my biracial daughters hair but still dried her hair out. Use only cowashing conditioners, leave in conditioners, and oils (either argon, coconut or shea. Have used olive oil with no other options and it was good) Marc Anthony has a great line and just started using some Loreal products. Just bought a few new brands to try but I wont say them until I have an opinion about them. Her hair takes a good 20 to 30 minutes total to do so once, maybe twice a week is plenty. She is 2.5 and really starting to get some length but she is still so patient. I may try the Aveeno skin cream though.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 11:54 am #

I am sure that girls’ hair is much more involved for sure! My boys like to keep it short (this post was done while my younger had longer hair) so it makes it easier on me. I have definitely learned to keep their skin hydrated though!