Homemade Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin

You guys I am so beyond exciting to share my most recent beauty DIY with you- face lotion for sensitive skin. I have so much fun experimenting with stuff in my ‘beauty kitchen’ (which is just my regular kitchen, if you were wondering) and I really want to share what I made, why I’m so in love and why you should give it a try too.

My skin care regime is all natural. I don’t use anything on my face that is premade in a factory (for skin care – I wear regular makeup). I make my face wash, my toner, my lotion, and my night cream. And you guys, the difference it has made on my skin is out of this world! Is my skin perfect now? Unfortunately, no. But I have noticed a big difference as to how clear it is, the amount of breakouts I get, and even the fine lines around my eyes have started to go away! I really can’t even say enough about this stuff.

Now, I know it sounds too good to be true, trust me, I thought so too! How could something so simple and so inexpensive (comparatively) be so effective? Well, I think we’ve started to over-do things. Think about it, the beauty industry is a HUGE one, not to mention the anti-aging industry!! They don’t want us to know we can make better products at home that are better for us and better for our skin!

Okay, I’m getting off my soap box. I know making beauty treatments isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But honestly I would just give it a try – it’s that worth it. A little of the product goes a long way so you know it will last a while.

Homemade Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin

homemade face lotion for sensitive skin

What you’ll need:

The reason I am making a big deal out of this baby being without coconut oil is because coconut oil – as fabulous as it may be – actually has a comedogenic rating of 4 out of 5! If you’re wondering what the heck that means, I feel ya, I didn’t know either. But after researching oils that are good for the face I found this page. All the comedogenic ratings for natural ingredients we put in products. Zero being will not clog pores and 5 being definitely more likely too. Like I said, coconut oil landed at a 4.

Now I didn’t notice that coconut oil was clogging my pores, I used to wash my face & had been using it for a face lotion for a while as well. I didn’t break out horribly more. However, since I’ve started using this cream (and another one I’ll post next week), I can’t tell you how much of a difference I’ve seen. My skin is smoother and clearer across the board. It’s a noticeable difference for me. Here is why I used each ingredient, what their rating is and why they make a good face lotion for sensitive skin.

Shea butter, rating 0 – With the comedogenic rating of 0 it means that it is very unlikely that this will clog your pores. This is great for people with oily skin or who are prone to breakouts. It also has amazing moisturizing & healing properties, is know for helping heal eczema and other skin disorders, and actually has UV so it’s protecting as well! It is high in vitamin A, E, and D so it fights wrinkles by maintaining your skin’s elasticity. Sounds like a super ingredient to me! Can you see why I wanted to include it?

**Note: when buying Shea Butter it is important to get cold-pressed, unrefined Shea butter. Refined Shea butter uses chemicals to extract it and loses most of it’s benefits in the process.**

Apricot Seed Oil, rating 2 – This oil is light and gently moisturizing which is a great combo for the Shea butter. It is a non-irritant and is soothing so it’s great for people with sensitive skin. Because it is light, it doesn’t feel too oily on your skin. It helps to improve skin tone, nourish the skin and lower the appearance of aging signs, like wrinkles, lines and blemishes. (source) Yes.Please.

**Note: even though it’s a wonderful oil, it does have a comedogenic rating of 2. So if you are really prone to acne and breakouts and think your skin won’t tolerate it, try swapping Hemp Seed Oil which has a 0 rating. (amazing stuff!)**

Vitamin E Oil– I think we all know this is a great vitamin for our skin. But why exactly? LiveStrong says “Vitamin E oil prevents the formation of wrinkles by blocking free radical damage. It treats wrinkles by boosting collagen production, a connective tissue that keeps skin elastic. Vitamin E oil also treats wrinkles by supporting new skin cell growth and speeding up cell regeneration.” (source) It’s also known to be a natural sun block of sorts, protecting the skin from UV rays.

**Note: I didn’t find a comedogenic rating for Vitamin E, but it can clog pores when used alone, so if you have acne prone skin, either leave it out entirely or half the amount. **

Aloe Vera Gel, rating 0 – Aside from feeling great on a sunburn, aloe vera gel can be great for treating acne, reduce inflamation in the skin, and help your skin heal quickly and naturally. It’s also great for reducing wrinkles with it’s plethora of antioxidants including, beta carotene, vitamin C and E. (source)

Essential oils I used Myrrh, Clary Sage, and Helichrysum (all affiliate links – you can use the code NOUVELLE for 10% off!) These essential oils are know for being great for aging. The reason I chose them is because I had already used 4 other essential oils in known for fighting aging in another lotion I made and I wanted to mix it up so I can be getting a ton of awesome benefits of ALLTHEOILS! Other anti-aging oils are Patchouli, Frankincense, Carrot Seed, Geranium, and Sandalwood.

Are you convinced yet? That you need to try this cream? Well, if all those amazing benefits for your skin don’t convince you, I don’t know what will!!

Here is how you make this face lotion for sensitive skin, you’re gonna die, it’s so easy.

Put the Shea butter into a bowl for mixing. Using a hand mixer or your Kitchen Aid blender with whisk attachment, start whisking away. You will see it whips up rather nicely! Drizzle in the apricot kernel oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Gel, and then the essential oils. THAT’S IT!

homemade face lotion Facebook

Homemade Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin

Total Time: 5 minutes

See more about Edamam on

Ingredients

• 3 Tbsp Shea Butter
  • 3 Tbsp Apricot Kernel Oil
  • 1 tsp Vitamin E
  • 1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel
  • Essential oils - 5 drops Myrrh, 3 drops Clary Sage, 5 drops Helichrysum

Instructions

1. Whip up the Shea Butter in a bowl with a hand blender or a standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Once it's whipped up nicely, drizzle in the Apricot Kernel Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Gel, and the Essential Oils. Store in a glass container in a cool, dry location away from direct sunlight. Shelf life about 6-12 months.

You can see that with all the amazing properties in all the ingredients how this homemade face lotion for sensitive skin is a must have. My skin feels great after using it and I have noticed the difference!

What do you think, is this one you’d give a try?

105 Responses to Homemade Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin

1. Katie February 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm #

Ok that’s it! I’m doing it! Where do you buy most of the stuff?

• Natalia February 3, 2015 at 2:27 am #

I’ve bought most of it on Amazon, but you can try like Lassen’s in simi – I think… Or Mountain Rose Herbs is another good, reliable place to buy natural ingredients from. But if you have Amazon Prime, just grab them all from there & you’ll have it in 2 days! Hope that helps, let me know if you like it!

2. Ingrid February 3, 2015 at 6:23 am #

I want to try this! Where did you get your little container? Also, are he essential oils mainly for their scent? Or because of their specific anti-aging properties? I just wondered if other ones would be just as good. Geranium sounds like it would smell great!

• Natalia February 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm #

I actually got the little containers from pots of dessert I bought at the local market! After they were eaten (tough job, but someone’s gotta do it!) I washed them out and boiled them and used them again! They are glass and you need glass when you use essential oils so it was perfect. And any of the oils I named would be good. I’ve heard great things about Geranium, I think it would be excellent! I havne’t used it yet, but it’s on my list to buy and try! I think any mix of what I named would be great for anti aging, just find a blend you like!

3. Joyce Hill February 3, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

I went to Sparks and put in your discount code and it only gave the 10% the Camp Wander gives, your discount stated 20% just curious about the difference.

Just found you blog and it is interesting so will be checking it out.

Thanks

• Natalia February 4, 2015 at 4:42 am #

Oh shoot, it is a 10% discount code! My mistake completely. I am so sorry, I realize that is very misleading and I didn’t mean to do it, I really apologize! I will fix it right away. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I appreciate it. So sorry!!

4. Lisa February 6, 2015 at 7:20 am #

I would love to make this for myself and my daughter, but the cost is scaring me a bit. I totally get that “you get what you pay for”, and I am very careful about products we use. I’ve just convinced my daughter to try the ocm for her recent acne breakouts. I explained to her that harsh cleansers are drying and can increase breakouts. It’s hard to admit when mom is right!

Do you think leaving out the essential oils would be okay?

• Natalia February 6, 2015 at 9:34 am #

OH I completely understand! I recently bit the bullet and bought the oils I wanted, even though they were expensive. However, I chose ones that were good for aging. Some oils that are good for acne and less expensive are tea tree oil (melaleuca), lavender, and lemon. What I would do is add some lemon into the oil for facial cleansing as it’s great to help clean the skin but can make your skin more sensitive to light. So it’s not one I would recommend for a lotion during the day. Also these three are 3 of the 4 oils that come in one of the starter packs! You can get the one with 5m bottles for $19.99 or the 15 ml bottles for $49.99 – both definitely a lot more cost effective! Here’s a link to what I’m talking about: http://sparknaturals.com/index.php/kits/essential-4-pack.html?idev_id=4824 Also, use the code NOUVELLE for 10% off! Hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

And SO great about your daughter. I cannot tell you the difference I’ve seen since using the oil cleansing method. I have a lotion I’m posting soon that is perfect for oily skin, maybe that’d be helpful too? I should do one for acne prone skin as well. I am sure she’ll start seeing the benefits soon!!

5. Kimberlee February 9, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

Just what I was looking for – the rating for shea butter for your skin – found your post on pinterest. I look forward to trying your recipe soon. Thanks.

6. Leilani March 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm #

Hi, thanks for the recipe. I want to add cucumber to this. Would I use it as an oil or as an extract or use fresh cucumber?

• Natalia March 12, 2015 at 3:29 am #

I would start by using an oil just because I think the shelf life would be longer. If not that I would use extract. Last resort, if you’re making in smaller amounts, I would add it fresh. I just don’t know how long it would keep if you added it fresh. However, I do know that the Vitamin E is good for naturally helping preserve the product. Hope this helps!

7. Julie March 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

Natalia,
    I need to leave out the Aloe and substitute it with something else. How can I incorporate Tamanu oil and Rosehip oil to your recipe? My goal for the lotion: Moisturize, Help my rosacea(non-acne kind..just get flush easy), Non-Greasy, help with aging. I’m open to your thoughts for a special recipe.

Thanks 🙂

• Natalia March 26, 2015 at 6:47 am #

You can leave out the aloe entirely, it won’t effect the recipe. I have never used Tamanu oil, but I imagine you can just substitute it for the apricot kernel oil. Or go half and half. You can just add rosehip seed oil to this one, I have done that and it’s great! Just add a teaspoon or so. Rosehip seed oil, apricot kernel oil, and the essential oils are all wonderful for anti-aging. I have seen a clear difference in my skin from using this lotion and another one I made. You can also add vegetable glycerin in place of the aloe or just to add as it helps retain moisture and helps in other skin related ailments. Here’s a little list I found on how it’s good. http://healthnbodytips.com/glycerin-vegetable-glycerine-uses.html/ Hope this info helps!!

• Julie March 26, 2015 at 4:14 pm #

I will give your advice a try and report back with my findings. Thanks so much for the help!!

• Natalia March 28, 2015 at 5:49 am #

Sounds good, I’d love to see how it works for you!

8. Emma March 25, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

I think you should use more Coconut Oil to clear your face before using your recipe

• Natalia March 26, 2015 at 6:40 am #

Like as a makeup remover? It does work great as a makeup remover! Thanks for the suggestion!

9. Moni June 5, 2015 at 8:37 pm #

Hi I’ve made your lotion twice now and I love it. I did change it up a bit by adding a little bit of baking soda to remove some of the greediness. I also use it on my dogs. (They are hairless) and their skin is feels great! Thanks for sharing.

• Natalia June 12, 2015 at 8:25 am #

So glad you love it, thank you! And thanks for sharing that tweak in the recipe, sounds like a great idea!

10. Cheryl June 16, 2015 at 3:25 am #

This looks great, i use a lot of shea butter in my creams as i find it does wonders for the skin!

• Natalia June 17, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

I love shea butter on the skin too! So many great qualities!

11. Leah July 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

Natalia,
    I love the idea of this recipe. I have had an issue with my lotion being very greasy on my skin and takes forever to absorb. Any suggestions on why? I haven’t tried your recipe but the recipe I used had several of the same ingredients. Also, do you melt down the Shea butter first? Thanks, Leah

• Natalia July 12, 2015 at 10:17 pm #

In this recipe I whip the shea butter but I think you could melt it too. Have you tried adding a powder, like arrowroot powder, do lotions? I honestly haven’t but it’s supposed to take some of the greasiness away. I want to try it, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet! Hopefully this helps!

12. Stephanie August 1, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

So, this is an amazing idea! I have had one heck of a time trying to find the right products for my sensitive face, and have had too many red-faced days than I’d care to admit to – I have finally decided on all natural soap and coconut oil for face care. I am so glad I found this @ http://affimity.com/#/sharedPost/19/11136 – what a miracle! I have yet to find a lotion that helps, and this is an awesome idea that I will definitely be trying VERY soon. Thanks so much!! I will be saving and sharing!

• Natalia August 4, 2015 at 7:01 am #

So glad you liked it! Let me know how it turns out for you, I hope it works!

13. Deb August 1, 2015 at 8:17 pm #

Hello- does this have to be stored in pots or would the consistency allow for a pump bottle as well?

• Natalia August 4, 2015 at 7:00 am #

I have never tried that, but I would say give it a try! It seems like the consistency would work for pumps, but I just don’t know. Let me know if it works!

14. jessica August 5, 2015 at 4:35 am #

Hey just wondering for the aloe vera gel is this just straight from the garden?

• Natalia August 10, 2015 at 9:07 am #

No I bought my aloe vera gel, but I imagine that works too. It just might make the shelf life a little shorter because it’s so fresh.

15. Kim August 23, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Hi Natalia, your recipe sounds great. Will definitely give it a try. Do you also have a eye cream recipe for sensitive skin? Thanks.

• Natalia August 30, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

I am going to start to work on some eye creams, but not yet!

16. nelsy billinger September 3, 2015 at 7:03 am #

I will try it. Thanks.

17. Emily October 12, 2015 at 10:10 am #

Do you know what class Shea butter you used? A, B, C or F??

• Natalia October 19, 2015 at 11:34 am #

I honestly don’t know, I know I bought it from Mountain Rose Herbs when I was in the States. When I was in France I bought it at a bio store. Hope that helps!

18. Ivanna October 21, 2015 at 5:48 am #

I made the moisturiser few days ago, no apricot kernel oil but I used sweet almond oil instead. I also used a mix of tea tree, lavender and rosemary essential oils. Been using it and loves it!! It’s rather oily at first but after a while (5 mins i think) it’s absorbed and my face doesn’t look oily anymore. A bit shiny on the nose area but I just dabbed with tissue and problem solved! Love love love it! I let my daughter use it too and she loves it too!

• Natalia October 28, 2015 at 2:05 pm #

So glad to hear that you and your daughter are using it and loving it!! I am all out, I need to make more soon!!

19. Tracey November 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm #

I made this and swapped out the essential oils for lavender, frankincense, carrot, and neroli. It’s divine! It smells wonderful and my skin, which is sensitive and combination type, hasn’t had any issues with it. My cheeks and forehead have been so dry lately so I went searching and decided to try the oil cleansing method (using castor oil, olive oil, apricot, and sweet almond) and your recipe for this lotion. The only thing I have found is that it leaves my skin very greasy. I find myself trying to massage it in more and even blotting with a tissue. I didn’t change anything in the recipe except for the essential oils and only use about a quarter sized amount. Any ideas?

• Natalia November 17, 2015 at 10:45 am #

Yes, you can try arrowroot powder or cornstarch in it to kinda soak up the grease. Hope that helps!

20. Veronica December 31, 2015 at 8:02 am #

Can you use olive oil instead of apricot kernel oil?

• Natalia January 4, 2016 at 10:40 am #

They both have a comedogenic rating of 2 so I imagine it wouldn’t make that much of a difference. Just make sure the quality is good on the Olive oil you choose, there are a lot of cheap imposter ones out there. And the other thought I had is the smell. I don’t particularly care for it, but if it doesn’t bother you, then have at it!

21. Melissa January 1, 2016 at 5:29 am #

What do u think about using argan oil to replace the apricot oil. I thought that it had a zero comedogenic rating and natural spf as well, plus tons of other benefits.

• Natalia January 4, 2016 at 10:37 am #

I love Argan oil and you’re right, it does have a zero comedogenic rating! I haven’t heard about the natural sf, but a lot of these oils do, so it makes sense. And yes, lots of great benefits for Argan oil! I would recommend it. Let me know how it turns out!

22. Stacey January 1, 2016 at 11:46 pm #

Hi- in the article you mention you have another facial moisturizer recipe. I can’t find it on your site. Could you post a link thank you.

23. Kristin January 9, 2016 at 1:10 pm #

I swapped the Shea for cocoa butter. I couldn’t get it to whip up with a whisk attachment so I’m trying the blender now but it’s been 6 mins n no change. Any suggestions?

• Natalia January 21, 2016 at 4:05 pm #

You could try melting all the ingredients all together first and them whipping them when it starts to solidify. Mine whipped up nicely though, so I don’t know what to tell you! Sorry!

24. Maurine January 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm #

This article taught me so much! Thanks for posting!

• Natalia January 14, 2016 at 10:47 am #

I’m glad it helped!

25. Josette January 13, 2016 at 10:00 am #

I was wanting to know if you or anyone else had issues with the shea being almost “gritty”. It’s a NOW organic shea butter. I wasn’t sure if melting would help fix the problem or not, just what I’ve observed from using it on my hands. Thanks!

• Natalia January 14, 2016 at 10:46 am #

I didn’t have this, but you could try melting it. I’ve never tried the NOW brand though. It shouldn’t be gritty though, so maybe worth a try in melting it. Good luck!

• Carey March 13, 2018 at 5:36 pm #

Shea butter when it melts & resolidifies slowly, will get these hard gritty spots. Those gritty spots are certain components of the shea butter finding each other & crystalizing. Those spots will have a higher melt temperature than the rest of the shea butter, when melting it again. Make sure they get completely melted (under the most gentle heat possible), and then when everything is melted, cool it all quickly, so the gritty spots don’t re-form. When it starts to harden again, then whip it.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 11:53 am #

Great tips, thank you!

26. Kris February 28, 2016 at 7:43 am #

After almost a year of trying to find a lotion for my face and nothing works, I found this and will try it. Very costly but I’m desperate at this point. Since my stage 3 Melanoma cancer bought this past year, my face started up with eczema. Drives me crazy! Found out I’m allergic to a lot of organic stuff so it’s been tough. I researched your ingredients and I picked the other essential oils you recommended. I mostly picked the ones that were Good for fighting cancer and eczema, oh and UV protected.
    So I made it up and it was really runny. I added more Shea butter. Did this happen to you? What did I do wrong? I followed the recipe.

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:14 am #

No, it didn’t happen to me. But try not melting the shea better, keep it solid and whip it. You can add beeswax or another solid formula if you need to. Hopefully this helps and works for you! 🙂

27. Leah February 29, 2016 at 4:57 pm #

I am replacing my current face moisturizer with a variation of this recipe. Do you think it would work well to replace the apricot seed oil with jojoba oil? That Is what I would like to use but I want to make sure the measurements don’t need to be any different.

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:03 am #

Yes, you can do that. It’s a pretty versatile recipe, so I would give that a try. Let me know if it works!

28. Leah February 29, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

I also forgot to ask about how many ounces this recipe makes?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:12 am #

I honestly don’t know! It filled the jar I have there… sorry I can’t be of more help! 🙂

29. Darta March 4, 2016 at 2:31 pm #

How long does it stay good? Is there an expiry date? 🙂

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:11 am #

Check the ingredients on each of your products and then take that for an expiry date! 🙂

30. Kelsey March 13, 2016 at 1:30 pm #

I was wondering if you think I could swap out the apricot seed oil with rose hip? I don’t have apricot or hemp at home so I’m just curious if you know the difference it would make in the lotion.

Thanks!
    Kelsey

31. Jeanine March 19, 2016 at 3:22 pm #

Natalia,

I tried your face lotion for sensitive skin and it works great! You have a great site and a beautiful family.

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:10 am #

So glad you loved it! Thanks for letting me know!

32. Andrea April 5, 2016 at 6:34 pm #

I am going to try this recipe and can’t wait! I am changing it up a bit and instead of apricot oil, I am using hempseed oil and instead of vitamin e, I am using honey. Hopefully this won’t change it too much but the non comedogenic of hempseed is 0 and I want to make sure my face doesn’t break out. I also think I am going to skip on EO for now, so I will report back to see the results of the changes 🙂

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Sounds good! I’d love to hear how it works for you!

33. Sharon April 9, 2016 at 7:28 am #

Do you have a recipe for night cream?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 9:54 am #

Not really, I would just switch between this one and the other face lotion I posted about. I think just getting the good ingredients is what’s important!

34. Vera Demetroules May 13, 2016 at 5:16 pm #

Hi,I’m about to make your recipe,since I have no carrot seed oil ,do you think sweet almond oil would be ok to use instead?
    Finally,a facial cream with no coconut oil:) thanks,i hope it works.( btw,i love coconut oil,but its nice to have a break sometimes)

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 9:32 am #

Yes, sweet almond oil should be fine! I like coconut oil too, but it’s actually a 4 comedogenic rating which is pretty high and can clog pores. So I don’t really use it on my face. This is a great alternative!

35. Kay July 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

Hi, was going to try this, but it seemed like an awful lot of oils to add. I’ve got oily skin. Do you think it would ok, to just use 2T of oil instead of 3? Also I was going to try 1 of Jojoba and 1 of Avocado. Do you think that would work? I’ve been using a cream with coconut oil in it that I really love, but here in Texas during the summer, it’s just too runny no matter how little I use. Thought I would try this for daytime and the coconut oil one for the nighttime.
    Thanks,

• Natalia July 19, 2016 at 11:06 am #

I am not a esthetician but I think that if you have oily skin it’s often because your skin doesn’t get the proper oils and then it produces more to over compensate, if that makes sense. Of course, check with your esthetician first! I think he changes you suggested sound good, try them and let me know how it works!

36. Mary July 24, 2016 at 10:33 am #

Hi Natalia,

I followed your recipe to a T and I waited a while once I put it on my face and its so greasy. What should I put in it to take some of the grease out and how much?
    Thanks Mary

• Natalia August 16, 2016 at 6:50 am #

You can add a little cornstarch or arrowroot powder. This will absorb some of the grease and make it more bearable for you. I didn’t mind the grease because I put it on before bed at night, but I do understand what you mean

37. Kaonie August 30, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Can I use all of the ingredients that has 0 rating instead of those ingredients that you have given?

38. same September 6, 2016 at 2:17 am #

thanks for sharing us

39. Kate September 14, 2016 at 4:28 am #

Hi, can this b made without essential oils

• Natalia September 23, 2016 at 5:54 pm #

Of course! Just leave them out 🙂

40. Puva September 23, 2016 at 6:49 am #

I have all the ingredients ready but i want to use the following items;
    Beeswax, shea butter, geranium essential oil, helichrysum essential oil, almond oil, apricot kernel oil (all organics products). How much of quantity of each that i need to make a good face cream? And does the items go well for mild sensitive skin?Please advice. Thank you very much

• Natalia September 23, 2016 at 6:04 pm #

I honeslty have no idea. I would just try it out and see what works for you. You could try the recipe I have here but substitute the ingredients that you have. As far as for sensitive skin, you will just have to look up all the ingredients!

41. Liz November 18, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

Vitamin E had a rating of 2. It’s on the tiny side strip on that page.

42. Roberta Westbrooks December 11, 2016 at 6:25 am #

I would definitely try this recipe. Where to get the Shea butter?. I hope these are easy to get my hands on. Thanks for sharing.

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:49 am #

Shea butter should be easy to find. I bought mine at a local Sprouts or whole foods. You can also find it online at a place like mountain rose herbs. Good luck!

43. Tara W December 11, 2016 at 2:10 pm #

Hi there! I just made this recipe and LOVE the feeling of it! So thank you for sharing! The only thing is I don’t really like the strong smell of the shea butter. I put a few drops of lavendar, vanilla, and tea tree oil but still have a very strong smell of shea. What would you recommend to damper the smell…I will try adding more oils, but then don’t want to make it tooo strong smelling! Thank you!

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:48 am #

You could switch out the shea butter for something with a similar consistency. Another reader suggested mango butter, but I haven’t heard how it turned out. Good luck!

44. S Williams December 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm #

How long does this stay good for since it has the aloe vera gel in it? Does it need to be refrigerated?

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:47 am #

I did refrigerate mine, the vitamin e oil helps with shelf life. I would just check the dates on all your ingredients and then go by the earliest date to be safe!

45. Kaylin December 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

This sounds amazing! How long does this product last and does it matter where you store it?

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:46 am #

I store it in the cupboard, and it should last as long as your ingredients are good for. Adding vitamin e oil helps extend shelf life 🙂

46. Erica Pacheco December 18, 2016 at 9:17 am #

I am so excited that I found this page. I also love that you included the link to check the rating of each oil and the likelihood of them clogging pores! I am going to make this right away, but will be changing the ingredients for my skin type. I have extremely dry skin, but am prone to break outs with anything on my face. I will be using mango butter instead of Shea butter, only because that is what I have on hand. But it also has a 0 for the rating so win… I am also going to use argon oil rather than apricot kernel because it too has a 0 for a rating, and is already a great oil for anti aging. I’ll check back to let you know how I made out!

• Natalia December 28, 2016 at 8:45 am #

This sounds great! Sounds like you already know what you’re doing because both oils you swapped out are the same consistency! Let me know how it turns out! 🙂

• Erica Pacheco January 4, 2017 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Natalia,
      So my lotion came out great. I think it should be a little creamier, but that may be because my portions were a little off. (I need a new scale) It absorbs in real nicely with no oily feeling. And after almost 3 weeks, no breakouts. Thank you again! I’ll have to take a look and see if you have any other recipes to try.
      Blessings, Erica

47. Emily February 21, 2017 at 7:28 am #

Hi,

So I’ve used cold-pressed, unrefined Shea butter before. The way I used it and I’ve heard the only way to activate that type of Shea butter is to melt it. Could I melt the Shea butter and then add in the other ingredients?

• Natalia January 2, 2018 at 9:42 am #

Yes, melt it in a double broiler though so that it doesn’t get gritty

48. Beth Bishop May 13, 2017 at 10:17 pm #

It was a relief to find something minus the coconut oil. I’ve been a looking for one without it, and thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. I am going to make this soon and would let you know about the results.
    Love your blog… and would try others, too.

49. Elly Jocham February 3, 2018 at 12:34 am #

Hi, I just made my first batch and I’m so excited. It is so nice! I noticed a couple of comments from other mentioning adding corn starch to hep with the oily feel. How much would you recommend? Thank you again for the amazing recipe.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 12:01 pm #

I would start small, maybe a teaspoon and move up from there. You can also try arrowroot powder as well. Hope it works out!

50. Yaritza Vazquez February 18, 2018 at 9:02 pm #

Hello! I am trying to make my own facial moisturizer, but I was curious if I could tweak the ingredients? I have frankincense oil as my essential oil and I was wondering if instead of the apricot seed oil if I could use argan and Moroccan oil. Would these three oils be enough? I would be incorporating everything else.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 11:56 am #

Those oils are great!! Frankincense is an excellent oil for skin, and Moroccan as well! Give it a try!

51. Robin February 23, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

I just made this but substituted hemp oil for the peach. The whole mixture seemed thick and greasy. Not sure what I did wrong or if that’s normal.

52. Jilly March 17, 2018 at 10:44 am #

Do you have a suggestion for what to replace the shea butter with? For some reason, shea will cause my skin to burn unpleasantly after a few hours. Same with argan oil.

• Natalia April 17, 2018 at 11:48 am #

So weird! Cocoa butter or mango butter would work too. Really anything with the same texture should work, but check the comedogenic rating to see if it’s low.

1. 200+ DIY Beauty Products and Recipes: The Ultimate List - The Nourished Life - January 25, 2016

[…] 43. Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin […]

2. 6+ DIY Lotions Your Face Will Thank You For - This Natural Home - April 23, 2018

[…] Homemade Sensitive Skin Face Lotion: Ma Nouvelle Mode […]