Simple Tips to Make the Most out of your Wardrobe

You know, it can be hard to write a fashion/beauty blog. It sometimes feels like I need to buy ALLTHETHINGS! Thankfully, (and by choice, of course) I’m a practical fashion/beauty blog for women who don’t have all the money, all the time, and all of the energy it takes to have a perfect wardrobe all the time. So instead of me coming here to tell you what you need to add to your wardrobe, let’s talk about how to make the most out of your wardrobe!

How to Make the Most out of your Wardrobe

simple tips to get the most out of your wardrobe

minimize

Yep, get rid of stuff. Seems counterintuitive, right? How can I create cute outfits when I’m getting rid of clothes? Well, most of the time we have a ton of clothes in our closet that we don’t wear for various reasons, too small, too big, doesn’t fit right, never really liked the color etc. etc. All those things are taking up too much space and distracting from the pieces that you will actually wear! Get rid of them! And by get rid of them, I definitely mean donate them or sell them online or some way of upcylcing them some how. Try not to just throw them in the garbage!

The other day my husband was cleaning the bathrooms (hey, I say if he can’t teach ’em how to pee properly, then he cleans the toilet!) and I thought I’d go on a little cleaning/purging trip too! Mine was with my closet.

making the most of your wardrobe

Yes, I just threw my shoes on the floor in my closet. And yes, my closet is really that small. I know it doesn’t look that different, but I finally took out the clothes I didn’t wear. I took down and folded up all the tank tops that I won’t wear until spring and tidied things up a bit.There are also a few pieces that I told myself if I don’t find a way to wear them within the week, they’re out too.

There’s even the concept of a capsule wardrobe which I’m not sure I could ever do, but I like the concept. Caroline from Un-Fancy creates a capsule wardrobe each season and then just works within what she’s chosen. She shops for each capsule wardrobe but not during the season. Interesting concept!

mix and match

Girl, I feel ya. It’s easy to reach for the thing that you know works. And you know, you’re going somewhere different today so you won’t see all the same people! #Score. But really, try to mix and match things in a way you haven’t done. Colors, patterns, materials — it’s all the rage! Although I must admit, I haven’t gotten fully around to complete pattern mixing. I just can’t do it!

how to make the most out of your closet: mix and match

Have you done a 7×7 Remix? It will change the way you look at your wardrobe, promise. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s when you take 7 articles of clothing and wear only them for 7 days. Yes, it’s a challenge, but through the challenge you learn to mix and match things you might not have before. You learn to be resourceful with what you already have. And when the 7 days are done, you’re equipped to look at the rest of your closet that way as well!

try new things

This kind of piggy backs on the 7×7 challenge as well. When you are forced to work with the clothes you have, you get creative. So try tucking it in instead of letting it hang. Pull that skirt up higher and pair it with a belt. (If it’s a long skirt – I’m not suggesting Pretty Woman outfits just to make the most out of your wardrobe!) Belt that cardigan instead of just letting it hang. Layer in ways you never thought of before. Really you’ll love the ideas you come up with and all of a sudden your small wardrobe (because of #1) will seem so full of options!

find inspiration

One word: Pinterest. Don’t reinvent the wheel! Just browse through Pinterest and find styles you like and that you’d like to copy. I’ve got a style inboard, one for cozy fashion, and even one for beautiful shoes! Then look at your closet and see which articles of clothing you already own would work for that. They don’t have to be the same color, material, length etc. remember, you’re doing your take on the style. Just work with what you’ve got to recreate looks you already love!

don’t shop

This is probably not news to anyone, but more is not always better! I imagine a lot of heavy shoppers still look in their closets and think “I’ve got nothing to wear!” Instead of shopping for new clothes, use tips 1 through 4 to make the most out of your wardrobe. You will feel more satisfied, more creative, and have more money in your bank account! Wins all over the place!

invest in quality pieces

I know, I know, I just said “don’t shop.” And I meant it!! I think it’s wise to limit spending as much as possible. However, if you do need to shop, don’t buy just to buy. Once you’ve purged your closet and worked with what you’ve got & done your ‘research’ you should be able to shop wisely. And when you do, invest in good quality, classic, timeless pieces that will last. Sure those boots at Target might only cost $48 but they’ll only last one season. Maybe Nordstrom Rack’s cost $150 and you’ll have them for 4 seasons. I saw this list of 10 must have shoes for women and I definitely agree!

There you have it! Those are my simple, yet hopefully effective, tips to get the most out of your wardrobe! It seems like 2015 is the year for simplifying life, it might as well start in the closet!

Any tips you might have to add?

Good luck! And let me know how it goes!

15 Responses to Simple Tips to Make the Most out of your Wardrobe

1. Julie January 28, 2015 at 3:36 am #

So many great tips! I really need to get better at remixing my wardrobe a bit. I’m one of the ones that is guilty of, if I know it looks good I will just keeping wearing it that way. lol!

2. Joanna January 28, 2015 at 6:20 am #

Great post! I imposed a clothes and shoes shopping ban on myself after a very ‘shoppy’ summer vacation last year – and I can honestly say that it is not only becoming easier and easier as the months go by, but I seem to be using more of the clothes I have (instead of just using a few pieces over and over). Does that make sense? When I had lots and lots of clothes ( I purged as well, when I started my ban) I seemed to still always reach for the same combinations of a few of them. Now I seem to be mixing and matching what I have more! I’m pleasantly surprised! I think I will try your 7×7 experiment, and see how it goes… Thanks for the inspiration!

• Natalia January 29, 2015 at 1:27 am #

Oh I totally get it! I tend to do that too, a full closet and always reaching for the same thing! I actually don’t shop so much so a shopping ban wouldn’t really affect me that much, but it’s so great to do what you’re doing. Learning to work with what we’ve got can do so much! I think I might do a 7×7 challenge starting next week! You should join!

3. Cate @ Wild Ruffle January 28, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

I’ve actually done several challenges for myself where I take one article of clothing, and wear it seven different ways every day for a week. It’s fun to see all the news ways you can make something work!

I love your tips – I’m going to share on the Wild Ruffle FB. I know our readers would love your tips too!

• Natalia January 29, 2015 at 1:25 am #

Thanks so much for sharing, I appreciate it! That is also a great challenge! I’m gonna have to try that one!

4. Jen @ Librarian for Life and Style January 28, 2015 at 5:56 pm #

I definitely use Pinterest to help with this! I’ve set up special boards like “Easy work outfits” and type in similar items from my wardrobe. Really helps when I have one of those “I’m feeling so uninspired… what do I have to wear?” days 🙂

• Natalia January 29, 2015 at 1:23 am #

Totally! Definitely help and ain’t no shame! That’s what the Pinterest is for – being inspired!

5. kathleen February 3, 2015 at 7:40 am #

I have been doing the capsule wardrobe from unfancy. Im really enjoying it. My husband and I both did it and ended up making over$100 selling our unwanted clothes to platos closet. And now we’re know that we love everything in our closets, not just like. I love your tips, especially the 7×7 remix, I need to try that!

• Natalia February 3, 2015 at 1:16 pm #

OH that’s so great! I gave away a lot of my clothes the other day although I could probably afford to do more. I don’t have that much, but I still don’t wear everything in my closet. I might need a little more color than the unfancy closet though. Oh and the 7×7 is starting tomorrow, you should join!! Check back tomorrow there will be more details!

6. Alison February 5, 2015 at 3:43 am #

Any tips on what to search for when looking to pinterest for fashion advice??

• Natalia February 6, 2015 at 9:36 am #

I would say search for what your style is. Or an idea you like but don’t know how to wear. Like if you like long skirts search maxi skirt. If you want to see ideas on how to wear a chambray shirt, search that. People are so versatile, you will search for one thing and get a ton of ideas! If you don’t even know where to start I would just suggest searching “cute fashion” or “cute stylish outfits” something like that. Hope that’s helpful!

7. Jasmine Poole February 24, 2015 at 11:09 pm #

Great tips and great ideas. Women don’t need to spend a lot of money to have the best wardrobe around. To create beautiful look, they can purchase the most suitable and quality fashion accessories for their current wardrobe.

8. Carolyn February 27, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

Natalie, you seem like a very lovely young lady. I’d love to meet you some day. You seem very practical, yet, “hip”. Is that still a word? I could probably be your mother’ sage, but I like fashion and staying in on things. I’m still trying to find my “style” address because I like so many looks…too many. How about a “classy bohemian or shabby-chic” look?
    Thank you. Will follow you now.
    Mama Carolyn

• Natalia March 3, 2015 at 5:01 am #

Hi Mama Carolyn, Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate it! Glad to know you enjoy reading along. I totally understand about finding your own style, sometimes it’s hard! I will try to do some looks with a classy bohemian/shabby chic type style, but also searching Pinterest is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!