Simple ways to tie a scarf

The other day on Instagram someone commented on the way I had my scarf tied and asked for a tutorial. Now, I know that there are a million ways to tie a scarf. In fact, Wendy from Wendy’s Lookbook has the most amazing video tutorial on it. Today I am going to show you 3 simple different ways to tie a scarf. Because I’m all about simple. And scarves with this freezing weather!

How to tie a scarf

simple ways to wear a scarf

How to tie a scarf: Lightweight

how to tie a scarf lightweight

This was the scarf I was wearing in the Instagram picture. It’s one of my favorites. I think I got it at Zara a little while back and it’s been worth it. Leopard is pretty much a neutral and this lightweight scarf can be worn during the winter months with a heavy jacket or even coming into the spring as the weather is warming up. Versatile is a must have!

how to tie a scarf lightweight

You start by draping it around your neck, one side hanging longer than the other. Then take the top of the longer hanging side and wrap it around your shoulder letting the bottom part drape down. Pull the rest all the way around and then tug on the middle hanging part to make it even the way you want it. Voila!

How to tie a scarf: The Blanket Scarf

how to tie a blanket scarf

Oh, the blanket scarf. You are lovely. Seriously, this thing has been through it all with me. On train station benches when you take the wrong train home and have to wait, in eastern European hostels when you’re just not quite sure how clean the sheets are. During freezing cold, sorry-excuse-for-a-gym basketball games cheering on your son. Or even as a pillow for your kids on super long train rides. We have quite the relationship us two, and I’m so happy I bought you!

Okay, enough with all the sentimental-ness over a scarf, let’s talk about how to tie this scarf!

how to tie a scarf - the blanket scarf

I love this one bunched up at my neck because the whole purpose of this massive blanket is to keep you warm. So I start the same way as the first scarf and wrap it around. Then I pull both of the longer hanging sections down and under the section that is wrapped around my neck. Then just adjust the section around your neck so that it’s nice and even and puffy and you’re good to go!

circle scarf

The obvious way to tie a circle scarf is to wrap it around two or three times and call it a day. That is definitely a good option, but I’ thought I’d mix it up a bit! This type of scarf and the way you tie it is more for lighter weather perhaps and would look a lot better peeking out of a coat than standing on its own.

how to tie a circle scarf

Lay the scarf along the back of your neck and pull one end through one of the holes. Then twist the section that you just passed the scarf through and pass through the same section again. You’ll have somewhat of a twisty knot thing. Then pull the sections out a little bit to make it more poofy and full and you’re done!

So there you have it – 3 simple ways to tie a scarf! These are my go-to looks for tying scarves because they’re simple but still cute.

This post wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t share some of my favorite scarves so you can shop the look! I actually found almost the exact scarf as the houndstooth one that I have! Here’s some of my favorites:

what scarf to buy

Starting at the top, left to right:

What are your go-to looks? Which look is your favorite? I hope I gave you a few ideas to work with! If not, at least you got to hear about my love story with my blanket scarf. It’s really sweet, isn’t it? 😉

Have a great Tuesday!

14 Responses to Simple ways to tie a scarf

1. Jennie January 21, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

I am Always looking for easy and stylish ways to tie scarves. This post is just perfect for what I need – thanks! Just pinned it.

• Natalia January 23, 2015 at 12:14 am #

So glad you liked it, thank you!

2. Janette @ The 2 Seasons January 22, 2015 at 3:47 pm #

We are going to feature this post on our Seasons’ Saturday Selections. Feel free to share that with you readers. We loved this post.

Janette and Jordan

• Natalia January 23, 2015 at 12:06 am #

Thank you so much Janette & Jordan! I am honored 🙂 I’ll keep an eye out for it so I can share it 🙂

3. Anna Giuffre January 25, 2015 at 11:48 pm #

Hi Natalia, I am a big fan of your blog. I really enjoy your posts about fashion and makeup – not only because they are some of my favourite things but also because you always seem to ‘keep it real’. Your personality always shines through and you come across as being unpretentious and realistic but still girly and fun. Love your work, take care

• Natalia January 28, 2015 at 1:17 am #

I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me! Thank you! Glad you’re enjoying it, I’ll keep doing my best! 🙂

4. Ada March 4, 2015 at 2:04 am #

Thanks so much for this awesome post Natalia. Since I own one of each of these scarves (actually the houndstooth one is pretty much identical to yours) and I love scarves in general, this post is awesome for me. I am always looking for new ways to tie them or style them. =)

Hope all is well. <3 Ada.

• Natalia March 4, 2015 at 1:44 pm #

So glad you like it! I love my houndstooth, it’s so big and comfy!!

5. Monica March 4, 2015 at 8:36 am #

Love this tutorial! I’m a big scarves fan myself, I can never have too many. I love all the ones you have styled here too. I think the second one is my favorite.

• Natalia March 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

I totally agree, can never have too many scarves! They add so much to an outfit!

6. Conni J March 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm #

love, love a great tutorial, especially on something so many women wear. xx, Conni

• Natalia March 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

Thank you! It is definitely very practical and comfy!

7. Lauraa Ping November 30, 2016 at 10:26 pm #

Hi Natalia, Scarf is all time trendy in fashion compared to any other outfits. It can be used in summer and winter both which is a great benefit for the women and girls. If anyone do not knows to tie a scarf then they can go through your blog where the simple and best ways are given. Even i got to learn many more styles from your tips. Lovable Post 🙂

1. The 2 Seasons- The Mother/Daughter Lifestyle Blog - January 23, 2015

[…] makes scarf tying look so […]