How I feel about being robbed

This weekend my family was robbed.

Someone broke into our house and stole our computers – including my new Mac purchased in August, an iPad – also purchased in August, my Cannon Camera and a lens, 7 of my husband’s expensive watches, my two makeup palettes (weird?), and our hard drives – one of which contained a TON of our family photos.

My first reaction was shocked. You hear about it, but I have never been robbed. There couldn’t be someone out there that would break into our house and actually take our things. Could there? Where are their values?

My second reaction was feeling violated. Someone who we don’t know was rummaging around our house, in our private space, in our lives. They were in our bedroom and my office. They were probably in our sons’ bedroom except for there is nothing valuable to take from there.

Then there was disappointment. Some of these are things that we can’t wait to replace. I use my computer every day for work. My camera I use for work and family was gone too. My husband’s watch collection was something that he had built up over time. Then, not to mention, the tons of family photos that were on the hard drive. Disappointing.

Then it started to hit me. If you knew a little bit of my life you’d know how clearly faithful The Lord has been to us. There have been times where I had to watch our grocery budget so closely that I would choose a product that was a couple cents cheaper just to save money. There have been times when we didn’t know how we would even pay for the groceries that we needed. Not mention bills that consistently roll in. An MacBook Pro? Ya right, in my dreams.

I couldn’t even tell you how exactly we made it through those times. Somehow there was alway enough money. Never really more, but enough. One time it was a few savings bonds my grandma had gotten for me when I was young. Then it was a cousin giving me a part time job. A few things here and there and we got through.

God is so faithful. He has always been so faithful to us. When we thought there was just no way we’d make it or be okay – we were. When there were no jobs and no work and therefore no income, we survived. So when someone broke into house and took our stuff, I was upset, of course! I don’t want to spend money out of my hard earned savings to buy a computer I just bought in August. I don’t want to buy a camera that was supposed to last me years. I don’t want to.

But I can.

I can afford a new computer. Will our bank account take a hit? Sure. Is this what I want to be purchasing right now? No. But the fact that I can buy a new one is not lost on me. The fact that The Lord basically turned this little hobby of a blog into an actual income. He has walked us through every step of the way so far and blessed us more than we could have ever imagined – who am I to start grumbling when something negative happens?

We are so far beyond blessed. We have two beautiful boys. We have a good marriage. We have a house over our head, shoes on our feet, and food on our plates. We are not rich, but we are oh so well taken care of! We are provided for and loved by our almighty God. Those blessings are not lost on me.

Fortunately we can replace some of the items sooner than later. We are still taking our family vacation and our kids are still getting presents. We are NOT going to let this petty thief steal our joy!!

If you got anything out of this story at all today, whether you believe in God or not, I hope you walk away counting your blessings.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!

26 Responses to How I feel about being robbed

1. Starla December 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Very well written! I’m sorry that something like that had to happen, but like you said you are counting your blessings. You are awesome! Happy Holidays to you and your beautiful family! I love looking at all of your pictures, I am in a interracial relationship myself and I love to see beautiful families just like yours! <3 🙂

• Natalia December 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Thank you! Gotta count our blessing for sure! Glad to have you visiting, thanks for leaving a comment! God bless!

2. Krista December 7, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Aww Natalia! I’m very sorry to hear your home was robbed and that you lost irreplaceable family photos. That’s probably the thing that hurts the most and I understand as it’s happened to me many years ago. I love how you put a positive spin on such a negative situation and I sincerely hope that you and your family can feel safe in your home and be able to replace the lost things in time. Please ENJOY your vacation and have a wonderful Christmas.

• Natalia December 7, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Thank you Krista! I remembered that I might have some of those photos in an old computer at home so I’m holding it hope! Overall, we’ll be okay. Thanks for your encouragement!

3. Loris Ayoub December 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm #

I am very sorry that you had to go through this… I think you should invest in an alarm or something it will make you guys feel safe.. on the other hand your words really inspired me… we must never forget to be greatful. ..I hope the police finds your things

• Natalia December 14, 2014 at 1:54 am #

Thank you! We rent our house from year to year and never know if we’re coming back. That’s why we’ve never thought of an alarm. But after this, specially with my husband being gone often – we’d think about it! Thanks for your kind words!

4. Amanda December 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

You’re awesome! And what a great example you’re setting to all of us, reminding us to count our blessings and thank God for all that we do have. I’m so sorry that happened to your family. Our car has been broken into with a few things stolen and it’s a horrible feeling.

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

It really is a horrible feeling! Someone you don’t know in your private space. But thankfully I feel like god has given me the grace to see. Him through it! He has been faithful my entire life, he won’t stop now!

5. grammygoodwill December 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Oh, Natalia. I am so sorry this happened to you. It is amazing that you can find the light in this awful thing that happened. I’m so glad you aren’t letting this thief steal your happiness.

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Thank you! Trying to keep the best attitude!

6. Marina December 7, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

I know it’s not everything but since you bought the computer/ipad recently the receipts could still be on record with the store/apple and you can submit those to your homeowners insurance and they should at least give you a check for a percentage of their worth. I’ve been

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Yes, thankfully we’ve been working with the insurance to get some money back. They’ve been really helpful so far! We’ll see what happens!

7. Katie Pidge December 7, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Natalia, you and the fam have been so heavy on my heart since I read your first post. But I am BLESSED by your response to this and encouraged to have the same outlook on my life when trials hit. You’re right – we are beyond blessed and focusing on that is better than focusing on the negative! Love you friend 🙂

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks Katie! Miss you!

8. Hege | Repolished December 8, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Oh no! So sorry to hear that Natalia! But glad you guys are ok and way to keep a positive attitude! My friend is a photographer and had her harddrive with all the client photos on it, stolen with a bunch of other stuff from her office a couple of years ago. She was devastated and decided to start a Facebook thread asking for whoever took them to just give back the harddrive, no questions asked. She does live in a smallish town, but after three days, she got it back! Might be worth a try?

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

That is a super awesome story! Good to hear when the good in people wins out. Unfortunately I’m not friends with enough people on Facebook who live here to really have that work for me. If I were in the states that’d be a great idea! We’re being taken care of though, so I can’t complain!

9. Stephanie December 8, 2014 at 7:23 am #

Natalia – thanks for sharing your story! I’m so sorry you were robbed but very thankful for your outlook.

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thank you! It’s a bummer too, but The Lord works in mysterious ways. To am sure he’s working now!

10. Lindsay December 8, 2014 at 7:27 am #

I’m so sorry to hear about this, but it is awesome that you’re able to use this situation to reflect on God’s faithfulness to you and your family, and to reflect on where your joy truly is–not in your family photos or the cool things you (used to) have, but in the Lord. What an encouraging post!

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thank you, I am glad you were encouraged! God has been so a faithful to me in my life, I know I have no right to feel any different! He has taken care of me so well in the past, he will continue to do so!

11. Josephine December 8, 2014 at 8:12 am #

Such an unfortunate event! Hoping you will overcome this quickly…

Romans 8:28
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

I truly believe it! Even though it’s a bummer Gods plan is always so much more amazing than mine! I love watching it unfold!

12. Julie @ Artwork by JM December 8, 2014 at 11:15 am #

I’m so sorry to hear that this happened to you! I was robbed once, thankfully I wasn’t home when it happened. Someone had broken into my apartment and left the door open when they left. I had to call someone to go in with me because I was so scared they were still in there. I remember the fear afterwards and how violated I felt. I didn’t even care about the things that were taken so much. It just bothered me to know someone had gotten into my home. So scary!

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

It is so weird! I never really thought it through before how it would feel so violating, but it is! Someone we don’t know was in our personal space rummaging through our stuff! So scary for yo too! What a bummer!

13. christina December 10, 2014 at 9:23 am #

wow, how very frustrating and disappointing! I guess it’s just as well, too, that you didn’t end up having to pay for that work you were wanting done 🙂 it’s inspiring to see you choosing thankfulness!

• Natalia December 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Yep, it’s a bummer! Although I’m still thinking about having you guys set up the email. I just can’t figure it out. But maybe I should wait and try to do it when I get a computer!