You are Beautiful

I am sure you’ve seen it. It’s been shared a bunch of times on Facebook. And I hope this isn’t redundant but I thought it was too powerful a message to not share right now. Specially because it really hit home for me.

Colbie Collait just came out with her new song called “Try.”

Here’s the lyrics:

Put your make-up on
Get your nails done
Curl your hair
Run the extra mile
Keep it slim so they like you, do they like you?

Get your sexy on
Don’t be shy, girl
Take it off
This is what you want, to belong, so they like you
Do you like you?

You don’t have to try so hard
You don’t have to, give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don’t have to change a single thing

You don’t have to try, try, try, try
You don’t have to try, try, try, try
You don’t have to try, try, try, try
You don’t have to try
Yooou don’t have to try

Get your shopping on, at the mall, max your credit cards

You don’t have to choose, buy it all, so they like you
Do they like you?

Wait a second,
Why, should you care, what they think of you
When you’re all alone, by yourself, do you like you?
Do you like you?

Take your make-up off
Let your hair down
Take a breath
Look into the mirror, at yourself
Don’t you like you?
Cause I like you

It resonated with me. I am generally pretty confident. Not really confident, but just okay with the way I was made. Sure there are physical qualities that aren’t my favorite, but hey, I can’t change them, so I might as well be okay with them.

But lately, I don’t know what it is, I felt pressure to be a particular way. To look a particular way or dress a particular way. Like if only I was skinnier, then that outfit would look good on me. Or if my ears didn’t stick out I could wear that hat.

It’s not okay. Even though I write a beauty/fashion blog, I couldn’t agree more with what Colbie writes about in this song. I love makeup. I love dressing up and feeling pretty that way. And that’s okay too! But feeling pretty in your own skin and being confident in yourself, flaws and all, is important! You don’t have to look like anyone but you. You are beautiful!

It’s tough when the world portrays perfection. Not just beauty, it goes over the top in the other direction – no break outs, no cellulite, heaven forbid no extra pounds. Even if they’re there, let’s just shave them off in Photoshop. Let all the imperfect people who buy our magazines think that these people are perfection. How does that make sense? It doesn’t.

You are beautiful. Just the way you are. You might have a zit or some extra pounds you’d still like to drop or saggy boobs after feeding babies. You’re still beautiful. It doesn’t mean you can’t try to work on those things. Hit the gym if you want to tighten up! Use some night cream for that zit! But be confident in yourself as a person.

In the spirit of being all natural and embracing our natural beauty, I’m going to share a picture of me with no makeup. Un-touched, really close up, uneven skin tones and all, just me.

true beauty

I’ll let Colbie take it from here. She says it pretty well.

Take your make-up off
Let your hair down
Take a breath
Look into the mirror, at yourself
Don’t you like you?
Cause I like you

15 Responses to You are Beautiful

1. Agi July 15, 2014 at 8:03 am #

I did a blog post a few months back about this very topic. I have a very hard time seeing myself as beautiful. Many of us do. I’m working on it. Love your picture. Beautiful!!!!

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

• Natalia July 15, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

I think most women, whether they admit it or not have a hair time with it! But as long as we’re working on it, that’s what matters! You’re beautiful!

2. The Domestic Fringe July 15, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Love this post!

I’ve been feeling unusually unhappy with myself lately too, like I never look “good enough” (whatever good enough is). I’m not even sure why I feel so bad about myself lately. I’ve never spent a ton of time worrying or beating myself up over myself, but lately it’s been different. I suspect it’s because I’ll be turning 40 in a few months. I definitely feel like the craziness in my head has got to stop though. It’s not good for me.

Anyway, thank you for this post.
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia July 15, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

I so feel ya. I don’t know why with me either, but I guess it’s just that, a constant battle. And that’s okay, as long as we’re battling!! Hang in there girl, you are beautiful!

3. Ronda July 16, 2014 at 10:53 am #

This song is so beautiful, the video is just absolutely amazing and I’ve shared it with all of my friends on facebook and anywhere else I can. Your picture is gorgeous! I loved your age-progressio-if-I-don’t-take-care-of-my-skin picture from the other day too!

I’ll be 50 (50!!!!!) on Monday, and this is exactly how I feel in my life right now.

xoxo, Ronda

• Natalia July 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Thank you, Ronda! I love hearing this! We need to embrace our beauty and encourage each other in that too! There’s enough negativity in the world, lets’ be the light!

4. Kimmy July 16, 2014 at 11:06 am #

I love this post. I feel like I have been hard on myself my whole life. Thank for your sharing this and reminding us (particularly us beauty bloggers) to take a step back and reflect on how we see beauty. I love my makeup and skincare, but it’s nice to be reminded and encouraged to accept myself flaws and all. 🙂

• Natalia July 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

I totally agree. I love all those kinds of things too, products are fun for me! But no one ‘look’ is perfect and we’re all uniquely beautiful!

• Kimmy July 18, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Agreed! We are all uniquely beautiful! Well said.

5. Imperfect Allie July 16, 2014 at 11:49 am #

Great message! You look great even without makeup!

6. Ana M July 21, 2014 at 12:33 am #

It’s true that all of us women should stop worrying about satisfying the unrealistic concept of beauty society portrays and start embracing the unique beauty each woman has. Beauty that does not come only from the outside, but from the inside. The beauty of who we are as a person will radiate and enhance our outer beauty. I love what you are doing and I just want to say thank you1 because sometimes we need to be reminded about these fundamental truths!
    Ps. You look Gorgeous in that picture

• Natalia July 28, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Thank you so much, you’re so sweet! It’s so true, being a women, especially in this day and age is super stinkin’ hard! I do want to be an encouragement to women to embrace their beautiful and what that is for THEM. not anyone else. And you’re right, it will radiate through and you will be beautiful on the outside as well. I always say, confidence is your best accessory!

1. Montagne Jeunesse Sleep Spa Face Mask | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - July 17, 2014

[…] the product the first time. No secrets here people, totally untouched photos. We’re all about being comfortable in our own skin in the Ma Nouvelle Mode community. The first photo is before I used the product at night. The […]