I don’t know about you, but during summer my feet can take a beating. Sandals all day everyday except for when playing volleyball, swimming, heck – sometimes I don’t even put on shoes! So I thought it’d be fun to come up with a homemade foot scrub to help heal and rejuvenate your feet this summer. It also makes a super cute gift!
Coconut Lime Foot Scrub
It’s very easy to make too. Here’s what you’ll need and why it’s good for your skin/feet:
- Coconut Oil – This super oil is great for your skin & very hydrating. For more benefits, you can read this article.
- Epson salt – It’s a natural exfoliant and anti-inflammation remedy that’s great to treat dry skin, sore muscles, small wounds and even to fight illness. Anyone else’s feet sore at the end of the day? That’s why I used it as an exfoliant in this recipe
- Limes for their zest – It’s known to rejuvenate skin, protect from infection & reduce odor! (maybe you’re husband will like this scrub too!)
- Baking soda – Helps protect feet from microbial infections & bad odor.
- Lime Essential Oil – Helps reduce pain and makes the scrub smell lovely.
- Citrus zester (or cheese grater if you don’t have one) – Just to zest the limes 🙂
- Glass containers – To package it all pretty!
You can probably figure it out from the pictures and the measurements are workable but here’s what I did.
- Start by using a double broiler or two glass containers to heat the coconut oil. Put hot water in one glass bowl and then set the other glass bowl on top. Heat it through until it’s entirely a liquid. About 2 Tbsp for a half a cup of Epson salt. You can adjust this with how oily you want it. I wanted more of a scrub.
- Add the Lime Essential Oil and mix completely. Just a couple drops!
- Add the Epson salt and baking soda and mix together. I added 1/2 cup of Epson salt and 1 Tbsp of baking soda.
- Zest of one lime over it all and blend. It smells lovely!
- Voila! You’ve got a lovely smelling and great for your foot scrub!
The labels, in case you were wondering, were done by my lovely momma! She’s one talented lady, you can check out more of her work here. You can make your own by using the free printable she made for you, cutting them out, and running them through a sticker machine. Super easy!
This scrub can be used other places but know that Epson salt is one of the heavier exfoliants used and it’s probably best used on the feet where our skin is a bit tougher. Also lime essential oil can (but not always) cause photo-sensitivity to the sun, which could be a bummer. That’s why I think it’s best for your feet! And obviously, if you use this in the shower, it will make the bottom of your shower slippery! It’s probably best to use in a tub and then add warm water to rinse & soak.
So take your feet on a nice relaxing trip to the islands, they’re been working hard, they deserve it!
Some other posts you might like: