Where to Stay in Paris

Going to Paris? Have no idea where you want to stay during your trip? What is where and what area is the best? No worries, I’ve gotcha covered with a quick post on where to stay in Paris.

I have never lived in Paris, but I’ve been multiple times and stayed a few different places. I am in love with the city, it’s truly magical. You can check out my other posts: a guide to visiting Parisgetting around Paris, taking a walk through Paris for more info. Since I’ve booked quite a few hotels — for myself and others — I thought it would be great to share the information I’ve learned on where to stay in Paris.

Where to stay in Paris

Guide to Where to stay in Paris

First, let me start by saying that unless you pay the big bucks, the hotels will not be comparable to American hotels. They are just not the same. European hotels are smaller and older right off the bat. They might have an elevator but it will be tiny. So get that image of some grand suite out of your mind if you’re looking to score a deal in Paris.

Things to look for in a hotel in Paris

I think one of the most important things about the location of the hotel is where it is in relation to a metro station. It doesn’t have to be one of the bigger metro stations, just one. Most of all the hotels I stayed in were within a 5 minute walk, however, there was this one time I got a deal and it was more than a 15 minute confusing walk to the hotel and that was a huge bummer. Definitely not worth the savings.

Even though the hotels are older, they should still have all the amenities you’re looking for. i.e. personal bathroom, not smelly (totally had a smelly hotel before), clean, nice sheets etc. I would suggest checking reviews before booking the hotel.

In my personal opinion, it isn’t that important to be really central in Paris. For one, those hotels cost a lot more. They are probably nicer, but with the amazing metro system that Paris has, there is just no need. So unless you want to drop some serious dough downtown, don’t do it. Need help navigating the subway system? I’ve gotcha covered.

What areas are best?

where to stay in Paris

These are the areas that Paris is generally divided into and where you can look to book via Priceline.com. Let me breakdown the areas on where to stay in Paris for ya here:

1. Alesia – Orleans – Quite removed the downtown, I would check review for how the area is.
  2. Bastille – Bercy – The hotel I stayed here was close to the Hippodrome and was absolutely awful. Thank goodness it was only for one night. The bathrooms smelled like pee, I could hardly stand it. I think it was due to plumbing, not to uncleanliness, but still, awful. The area isn’t so bad though. It’s removed from Paris central, but like I said, with the subways, it’s not hard to get into the center. I would not recommend driving in Paris.
  3. Batignolles – Clichy – Don’t know much about this area except that it’s removed from the center. I would make sure to check the subway system before booking here.
  4.  – Same thing as #3 – it’s rather removed. Not a problem if you can book close to a metro station and you’re looking to save money.
  5. Champs Elysees – Arc de Triomphe – The richest part of Paris! I’ve never stayed here, you can probably guess why.
  6. Champs Elysees Etoile – Avenue Monceau – A little removed from the richest part of Paris. Never stayed here either, you can probably guess why…
  7. Eiffel Tower – Even though it’s the most famous landmark in Paris, it’s not central. But as you can imagine, it’s easy to get to! You could very well wake up with a pretty amazing view! You can also find some good deals in this area.
  8.  – Gare means train station in French, so as you can imagine, this is in the train station area. Never stayed in this area but honestly, my first thought is that there are so many better options than staying close to a ‘gare.’
  9. La Defense – Neuilly – I have actually stayed here, with a friend one year. It’s completely outside of Paris in the ‘business district.’ The hotels are nicer and newer and we had a lovely time. There is a train/metro that goes into the center so it’s easy to get to. BUT I feel like you miss the whole feeling of Paris by staying out there. If it’s your first time, I wouldn’t do it.
  10. Latin Quarter – Ever heard of the Sorbonne? Shakespeare and Company? The left bank? These are all here. It’s just across the street/river from Notre Dame. There can be some shady areas though – do your research!
  11. Republique –  I have stayed here the most. The Crown Plaza here is really nice and I found some good deals. It’s not super central but there’s a big metro station and you can get anywhere you want to go from here.
  12. Montmarte – Sacre Coeur – Pigalle – Sacre Coeur, another huge landmark of Paris and the Montmarte district. Last time I was there I took the bus and driving through I wasn’t too sure about the area surrounding it. It wouldn’t be my first choice.
  13. Montparnasse – This is another train area where there is a big ‘gare.’ Once again, wouldn’t be my first choice.
  14. Opera Quarter East – Louvre Museum – Kinda self explanatory, close to the Louvre on the right bank of the Seine. It seems like a lovely area, although it could be kinda expensive.
  15. Opera Quarter West – Jardin des Tuileries – Similar to #14, it would be absolutely lovely to stay close to the Jardin des Tuileries which stretches out in front of the Louvre. It makes for a nice, long, beautiful walk.
  16. Place D’Italie – I have stayed in this area and it’s been a favorite. It’s less expensive and close to a larger metro station. It’s also oh so pretty.
  17. Porte de Versailles – The reason this is called “the door to Versailles” is because it’s on the outskirts of the city. You have to take a train to Versailles from Paris, so I suppose it would be closer from here. But still not in Versailles. I’ve never stayed in this part but visited, it didn’t seem very nice to me.
  18. Porte de Montreuil – Another one on the outskirts, this would be a little too far for me. Remember the farther away you get from Paris the less ‘Parisian’ it feels. Just a thought.
  19. St Germain – This is close to the Latin Quarter and would be an absolutely lovely place to stay! Right in the center and close to a lot of great landmarks. Probably a little more on the expensive side.

Phew, that’s quite a lot!! And if you’ve never been or don’t know much about the city, finding where to stay in Paris can be super intimidating! I hope my little breakdown helps you decide where you want to go and what works for you on your trip. Each trip is different for everyone, so make a choice that works for you!

Where & How to book hotels in Paris

There are really so many options, as you probably know, for booking hotels. My favorite way to do it is so check a site like Kayak and scope out the prices. Then I head over to Priceline and use their “Name Your Own Price” tool. I put in the areas where I want to book and the number of stars I want. I usually start with 4 stars and will go down to 3 if I’m not finding the price I want. Then I low-ball the number figure hardcore. I will keep bidding until it gets up to the prices I see on other sites. If that’s the case, I go and choose the hotel I want for the price I am willing to pay.

Does that make sense?

Now you’re set to enjoy your trip!! Hopefully this helped you weed through where to stay in Paris, now just get that hotel, buy a subway ticket and enjoy the amazing beauty that is The City of Light!

Any questions? Leave them below, I always love helping someone experience Paris!

Other posts you might like:

A complete guide to visiting Paris Visit Paris – what to see and where to go

guide to getting around paris Getting around Paris – a guide to using the subway system in Paris

take a walk through Paris

A beauty walk to take in Paris

34 Responses to Where to Stay in Paris

1. Anna June 10, 2014 at 6:41 am #

Well, I don’t have any immediate plans to head to Paris, but when I do, I’ll keep these in mind!! It’s always good to know where to stay. Thanks!

• Natalia June 11, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Specially in such a big city like Paris. So many options, who knows where the right areas are? Hope it was helpful! 🙂

• john March 5, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

Stay at the Ritz, Bristil, Plaza Athene, can never go wrong staying there

• Natalia March 10, 2015 at 3:55 am #

Thanks for the recommendations!

2. Niki June 10, 2014 at 11:37 am #

I am DYING to go to Paris! It’s in discussion actually for possibly being our first trip post-baby! I am pinning this for future reference!

• Natalia June 11, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Oh how fun! You would LOVE it, it’s such a lovely city!! Let me know when you book it! Any tips I can offer, I will! 🙂 And CONGRATS! I didn’t know you were pregnant! How did I miss that?!

3. Jean June 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm #

We stayed close to Notre Dame – a few blocks east & south. It was a nice area, close to a metro stop. I don’t see this area on your list. are you calling it something else? I only spent 3 days in Paris – and to think that I never really had the desire to visit! I’m planning to go back & stay longer – so much to see & do!

• Natalia June 20, 2014 at 8:19 am #

It depends where exactly, but I’m sure it’s on the list. I used the map from Priceline because I like the way they divided it up. I know the feeling of getting hooked on Paris! It’s an amazing place to visit! I’m in love with it too! 🙂

4. Rami July 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

http://www.villy.co has a good map where you can add a specific place to see in which neighborhood in Paris it falls

• Natalia July 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

Oh that’s cool! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

5. Hannah August 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

I am going to Paris early next year and have found that private rental apartments seem to be the best value for money. Not to mention make you feel like you are really living there. Try sites like home away or trip advisor holiday rentals.
    The one I found was 60euro a night 2minutes walk from the champs élysées

• Natalia August 6, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

Oh wow, that sounds fabulous! Did you use AirBnB? I checked that out once but it didn’t work out. I might try it again though for a vacation this year!

6. Ana Maria December 5, 2014 at 8:42 am #

Hi Natalia, after year dreaming to go to Paris, I believe I am finally going next year 2015, but I am still researching for information, so thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of Paris. I heard that June and July is the most expensive time to go to Paris, also super hot. I don’t want to go when is super cold either, so when is a good time to go? I was reading that you went in October, I was also planning for that same month. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Ana Maria

• Natalia December 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm #

October is a great time to go! Fall will be in full swing; it’s beautiful but it shouldn’t rain too much if at all. It might even be warm a little! November would be even cheaper but you risk getting more rain. So fun you’re getting to go, it will not disappoint. There is something magical about that city!!

7. Ana Maria December 5, 2014 at 8:44 am #

…years…

8. Savannah December 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

I stayed in the Montparnasse district my last visit to Paris and loved it. Our hotel was wedged between 2 metro stops and very close to the pantheon. We were easily able to walk to the Eiffel tower. And the views from the top of Montparnasse tower were, dare I say, better than from the Eiffel! (Kind of like seeing nyc from 30 rock so you can actually see the Empire State building.) The neighborhood was upper class and beyond safe. And our hotel was 2 steps away from the entrance of the catacombs. I would def reccomended the area! I can’t wait to go back! I think we will stay closer to the lourve!

• Natalia December 25, 2014 at 11:45 am #

This sounds fabulous, the perfect location!! Can you tell me what hotel? I always want to have good options on hand. And thanks for sharing your experience, I’m sure it will be great for others to read as well!

• Savannah October 2, 2015 at 7:08 am #

It was Hotel Le Royal on Boulevard Raspail!

9. Susan Lyons January 25, 2015 at 12:30 am #

Im so excited to find ur blog. My husband and I are going to Paris in Marxh. We will be there for a week. I’m concerned about what to pack. I’m from So Cal so not sure if I need to buy warmer clothes. Any advice on clothes would be great!

• Natalia January 28, 2015 at 1:20 am #

Oh my word, you’re going to have the time of your life! I get so excited whenever I hear of anyone going to Paris, you’ll love it! I would pack layers. Paris is March will probably be chilly, but could also have some sun and warm up. With layers you can just strip them off during the day. Continue to check the weather ahead of time to see what it will be like and you should be good! I’m a So Cal girl living here (Not Paris, just in France) and it’s been quite the adjustment!

10. Carmen February 25, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks for the review of the areas! I have used Airbnb before and loved it. I’m looking at it again for our first visit to Paris in March, and two of my top four choices are located in Montmartre. What was it about the area you didn’t like? Did it not feel safe? I have a three year old and would love to know!

• Natalia February 27, 2015 at 4:41 am #

The area is okay, but it just didn’t seem the safest. It’s turned into a lower income area, from what it looks like to me. I would just check out where the location is on AirBNB and maybe ask the person about it to make sure. I think Paris is generally pretty safe, besides the regular stuff — pick pocket etc. — so you should be okay. It’s also on a hill so if you plan to do a lot of walking with your 3-year-old, it might present a problem. However, the metro/bus would be fine. You’ll love Paris! And so fun you’re taking your daughter!

11. Pauleen May 8, 2015 at 4:14 am #

we have stayed at Hotel Ste Beuve twice, most recently in May 2015. Convenient to two metro stations ,walking distance to lots of cafes and the Montparnasse Tower. We felt very safe in the area, http://en.hotelsaintebeuve.com

• Natalia May 11, 2015 at 2:04 am #

Oh I’ll have to check that one out next time I’m there! I once stayed in hotel that was far from the metros and never again!! Montparnasse is also close to a trains station – sounds perfect!

12. stacy August 10, 2015 at 10:44 am #

This was So helpful! Thank you soo much for doing this! I am headed to Paris next month, staying 2 days. I can’t wait !!!

• Natalia August 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm #

You’ll love it! Paris is a magical place!

13. Delma November 18, 2015 at 10:50 am #

I find this post very patronising indeed. Doesn’t it follow that one would check reviews wherever you are staying in the world, and whoever you are, whether from the US or not? Also, hotel styles differ all over the world, the fact that they may be smaller or older doesn’t automatically mean that they are inferior! I have stayed in some of the most beautiful smaller, older hotels in France.
    I couldn’t make myself read any further than the first few paragraphs so I’m sorry if you actually said anything useful later on!!!

• Natalia November 20, 2015 at 10:42 am #

Well I am sorry you feel that way and felt like you needed to comment before reading the rest of the post! If you had kept reading you might have seen that I said “That being said, even though they are smaller and older and not what we’re used to, they can still be quaint and lovely and usually the staff are very kind as well.” I love Paris and I love Europe and I enjoy the smaller hotels and older buildings. However, I do know that if you are American and you haven’t traveled outside of the US much or at all, you might not know what to expect. I wanted to preface the post with that so that people were aware. I didn’t say it was bad, just different. If you have ever read any of my blog you’d know how much I adore France, traveling and experiencing other cultures.

14. Delma November 19, 2015 at 3:54 am #

Only showing the “we love you so much, you are so clever” comments ?
    Very sad.

• Natalia November 20, 2015 at 10:44 am #

Seriously? Goodness gracious!! I have to approve comments on my site because I don’t want to let spam comments come through. I am so sorry I didn’t get to your negative comment within 24 hours! It has been approved and your critique will stay on the blog — no worries! I am not afraid of a little negativity from behind a computer screen! Sheesh.

15. Kymberleigh January 4, 2016 at 9:15 pm #

Natalia, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences & valuable information with us!
    I’m planning a trip to Paris & I am enjoying reading your blog as well as another blogger on Paris tips.
    Delma needs to relax…… Maybe Delma is a robot?

• Natalia January 21, 2016 at 4:06 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it! And it’s okay about the other comments. I’m getting used to it! Teaches me to stay tough & not sweat the little stuff!

16. Seanna September 5, 2016 at 9:34 pm #

We were in Paris just three weeks ago, and stayed in the Marais District. We were just a couple of blocks from the St Paul Metro, and walking distance to many shops and restaurants / cafes, and even to Notre Dame! It was a lovely area, and we were very, very pleased with our hotel room, which fit our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 full grown teenage daughters). The room was separated into two separate bedrooms, plus a very spacious bathroom with a large walk-in shower. Our room included a lovely basic continental breakfast with fresh orange juice and the best coffee I’ve ever had! The only downside was that we were literally on the ground floor, which meant that we could not sleep with the windows open, and it was over 30 degrees Celsius when we were there! The hotel provided two very efficient fans, though, so it was fine. There is another room for a family, but it was up on the 6th floor, so it may have been warmer than our ground floor. We would happily stay in this area again!

• Natalia September 23, 2016 at 5:57 pm #

That’s good to know! I’m always looking for new areas in Paris to stay in! Thanks for sharing! 🙂