3 great pregnancy outfits

People tend to think that pregnant women feel beautiful and darling all throughout the three trimesters it takes to grow a baby.

We preggos know that this is simply not true.

As I am in the midst of my third pregnancy I can honestly say that I just don’t feel pretty all the while a tiny human is germinating inside of me. I feel fat. I feel awkward. I feel ugly.

It can be super depressing, even though it is such a short period of time. While my head might tell me that my body is working for a noble cause, my hormones and the part of my brain that is still manipulated by horrible media and impossible ideals will thwart any attempt at rationalizing.

Therefore, I struggle. I struggle to remember why my body looks like it does and to not sulk for nine months. I’ve come up with some ways to empower myself against the ridiculous negativity that gets in the way of enjoying life. What I love so much about MaNouvelleMode is that Natalia is all about embracing your own beauty.

Embracing your own beauty implies that you embrace your season in life. I want to embrace this season of baby-growing, and feel good about myself while I’m here.

There is so much beauty in pregnancy. I see it so clearly when I’m not pregnant. I see the swell of a womb, glowing skin, and fullness of life.

It’s ironic that it is so difficult to embrace when it’s me. However, this is how I want to see myself while I’m carrying my child. For the next few weeks I’ll be sharing ways to feel pretty while pregnant.

Today its all about the clothes. Oh, the clothes…

People will tell you that you only need the basics when you’re pregnant, and that is partly true. I will tell you that you need clothes that make you feel like a woman. Anything that makes you feel pretty or sexy is a plus. Here are my five maternity staples:

Maxi dresses, dolman tops, colored pants, drapey cardigans, and fitted tanks.

1.) Maxi dresses:

Fortunately, for us preggos, maxi dresses are very much “in” right now. Many pregnant women can just grab a larger size off the regular rack and make it work with the belly. I can do this half the time. When I’m lucky, I buy a larger maxi dress and let it hug the belly. When I’m unlucky, the dress makes me look like a bloated caterpillar. But whatevs.

Outfit 1--full body

This dress was one of the larger ones that didn’t make me look like a caterpillar. I actually found it at a Goodwill for $6.00! I’m not a huge fan of my arms, so I paired it with this cute lace cardigan.

Outfit 1

Now, I have to put a plug in for this maternity dress. I found that this online boutique, PinkBlushMaternity.com has the best maternity clothes ever. Like, ever. Their prices are really reasonable, they ship super fast, and the fit is great.

Pink Blush Dress

2.) Dolman Tops:

When I first heard the term “dolman” I thought it was in reference to some extinct species of birds. Or fish. You can imagine my surprise when I found out it signified this amazing shirt! This is another “in” style right now, and like the maxi dress larger sizes translate into great maternity wear! What I love about the dolman style is that it’s clingy in flattering places–and loose in others.

Outfit 2--closeup

Did I mention that this shirt is comfortable? I got this one from PinkBlushMaternity as well and I love it because it’s lightweight and BREATHABLE. So all that nasty boob-sweat that comes with pregnancy has a chance to “air out.”

You know what I’m talking about. Don’t act grossed out.

3.) Colored pants, drapey cardigans, and fitted tanks:

Yes, I’m combining all three. Because that’s how I wear them.

Red Pants

These pants are definitely maternity–I got them from Motherhood Maternity, the cardigan is from Target (not maternity), and the tank is also Target (maternity).

Red Pants 2

When I’m knocked up, the first thing to grow is the chest region. Oy. It takes quite a while for my belly to catch up. I’ve found that by wearing tight tanks I can accentuate the round belly and pay homage to the amazing boobs I have for a short time.

I run into trouble anytime I try to wear “flowy” tops, because there is no cut off from boobs to belly. I just look like I’ve got termites in my abdomen and have to wear a tent.

So there you have it.

Clothes have the power to take you from zero to ten. Zero being a dairy cow, and ten being a super hot pregnant chic 😉

Thanks so much, Natalia, for having me! If you want to read about maternity shopping gone wrong read this post. If you want to read about some of the biggest perks of being pregnant, read this one. You can follow me on Instagram @thehilljean and Twitter @thehilljean. Hope to see you there!

19 Responses to 3 great pregnancy outfits

1. Anna @ IHOD April 30, 2014 at 5:34 am #

I love that these looks are comfortable and stylish, and really emphasize your natural beauty! Love these looks:)

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 8:04 am #

Hillary really is a beauty inside and out. Love that she was able to share!

2. Sheila April 30, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Natalia – I did a double take when I began reading this…Natalia’s pregnant?? OMG how did I miss that?? and then I realized it is a guest blog LOL. My maternity days are long past but my daughter is expecting my first grandbaby later this summer and I promptly shared this article with her – the outfits are fun, stylish and very practical! Great post!

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 8:03 am #

I thought that might happen!! LOL and my wordpress was acting weird so I couldn’t write an intro! Nope just my cute friend Hillary! Congrats on your first grandbaby! I’ve heard it’s just the best. I know my parents love it!

3. hollow tree ventures April 30, 2014 at 9:55 am #

This almost – ALMOST – makes me want another baby, just for the clothes. However, I’m crazy in love with that dolman top and am now on a mission to find one.*

*One in every color, of course.

You look AMAZING, by the way – stylish as always, making pregnancy look gooooood.

4. Alicia April 30, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Gorgeous! The clothes and the beautiful mom who wears them so well.

5. Anna April 30, 2014 at 10:38 am #

You look amazing! Love all these looks!

6. Niki April 30, 2014 at 11:19 am #

You look SO gorgeous pregnant! Although you may not feel it, you do! I love all of your outfit ideas and I cannot wait until the day I can shop at PinkBlush. They have the cutest stuff!

7. Meredith April 30, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Oh my goodness! You are so adorable! I have a friend I want to get a really cute maternity outfit for and you have inspired me. Thanks, Hillary!

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 8:02 am #

She is inspiring! Loved her outfits!

8. christina April 30, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

I especially LOVE the last outfit!!! and serious movie star status in the dolman top 🙂 you look great in all of them, Hillary!

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Isn’t she adorable! I wish I looked like that pregnant. I was a total house.

9. Chris Carter April 30, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

All of those outfits are STUNNING on you!! I love that first dress especially… and those pants with the tank top and sweater? ADORABLE!! How do you pull off your cuteness? Your fashion? I shopped a lot of thrift/second hand stores for my maternity wear. The best place to do it! 🙂

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Isn’t she the cutest? I mean, really I never looked like that!! Love it!

10. Natalie May 5, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Hillary, Fantastic guest post. Love all the outfits on you – especially the first dress and cardi. Only one baby for me so far but i’m sure there’ll be a few more in the future so i’ll be saving these for future inspiration!
    Thanks for inviting Hillary to share Natalia!

• Natalia May 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm #

Of course, I knew everyone would love her!! She is totally cute, such a joy, and a great friend. I was happy to have her!

1. Fashionable Maternity Clothes | Because my life is fascinatingBecause my life is fascinating - April 30, 2014

[…] guys! I’m over at my friend Natalia’s site, MaNouvelleMode talking about maternity fashion. There are pictures. Many pictures. I want you to know it was super […]

2. DIY Body Scrub | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - May 12, 2014

[…] week I had my friend Hilary come and talk about pregnancy style. She’s super cute and if you haven’t read it, check it out! I apologize if you thought […]

3. Gained Too Much During PregnancyBecause my life is fascinating - May 15, 2014

[…] Looking for Maternity Fashion inspiration? Check out 3 Great Pregnancy Outfits […]