Let’s take a walk through Paris

Let’s take a walk, shall we? We’ve already chatted about the top ten things to see in Paris. And last week I showed you the Paris Metro system and a few key stops to know about to get around town. However, Paris is such a gorgeous city and it’s not too hard to actually walk most of the city. The metro system is excellent and easy, but if you’re taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip, may I suggest taking a walk through Paris.

So today, come along with me! Let’s walk through the City of Light!

take a walk through paris

We are going to hop on the subway and head to the Eiffel Tower to start. Although you can get off at Bir-Hakeim we’re going to use the Champs de Mars stop. Pop up from the metro and you’ll be right at Musée de l’Homme. Walk a little bit (most likely you can just follow the crowds) and you are at probably the most popular attraction in Paris! And there is a reason. It is beautiful.

The Eiffel Tower

And the view from the top is incredible. If you only have one chance to visit this wonderful city, pay to go to the top. It is worth it! Since you are touring with me, enjoy the view!

View from the top of the Eiffel Tower

Now that you’ve got a pretty incredible view of the city, let’s continue our walk. If you are so inclined, there is a beautiful little pathway to the right of the tower with some pretty fabulous apartments. Nothing super famous about it (excpet being next to the Eiffel Tower) but it’s so beautiful it’s almost magical.  Eiffel Tower park

Once you’ve explored the area a bit we’ll start the bulk of our walk today. At the end of the big grassy park take a left. Walk and walk and walk until you hit George V or the Champs Elysées. There you’ll be able to see the biggest roundabout in Paris that is a pain to drive around. You know it’s big when your GPS says “enter the roundabout 8th exit.”

Arc de triumph

After we’ve been able to go up the Arc and have a fabulous view of the Champs Elysées, we’re going to take a walk down it. Enjoy the beautiful shops, the cobblestone streets and the pretty lights. It’s one of the wealthiest streets in Paris and I’m sure you see why!

in front of the Champs elysees

Once we’ve walked the length of the Champs Elysées, we have two choices. We could just keep walking all the way to the Place de la Concorde or catch a bike ride. We did that this last time in Paris, my mom, her friend, and me. We felt so bad for the driver — that is not a light load!! But it got us there quicker than walking and we could still see the city as we passed (as opposed to the metro). Not a bad choice! (sorry for the bad photo – but just to give you an idea of what I’m talking about!)

Champs Bike

Once you’re at the Place de la Concord you’ll want to jump off and take a look at the little plaque that labels where Marie Antoinette & others were beheaded during the French Revolution. It’s a tiny little plaque. Maybe they’re not so proud of their revolution history? Still, for history nerds like me, it’s fun to see.

Where Marie Antoinette died

Then we’ll keep walking straight ahead entering the Tuileries garden. It’s such a beautiful walk. We’ll take a stop for a bit though, because we’ve been walking for a while and I’m sure we could use a break. Let’s pop into Angelina’s, the beautiful little tea room that was frequented by the likes of Coco Chanel & Audrey Hepburn. I’ll take one chocolat chaud, s’il vous plait! We’ve earned this one, ladies. Enjoy it.

Angelina's Paris

Now that we’re refreshed, let’s continue our walk into the Louvre. We can tour around if you like or just hit the hot spots like the crown jewels or the Mona Lisa (called La Joconde in French). If you’re an art lover, we can stay here a bit longer. If you’re like me, we’ll just hit up the spots we know/understand, and bounce. Of course, photos in front of the pyramids, that’s a must!

The Louvre

Let’s continue along the Seine River a bit and cross at Pont Neuf – the oldest bridge in Paris. Once we’ve crossed we’ll be in the heart of Paris, where it all began,  Île de la Cité . Here is where you will find the Conciergerie (where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned), Notre Dame, and Saint Chapelle. Let’s tour Notre Dame, shall we?

Notre Dame Cathedral

Magnificent, isn’t it? It not the prettiest cathedral I’ve ever seen in France, but it’s really cool to see how it was built and the fact that it was done so long ago. It’s amazing they were able to create such beauty. After we’ve done our photo ops and taken a (free!) tour, let’s cross the bridge heading the other direction, away from the Louvre. Just across, tucked behind some trees, you’ll find Shakespeare and Company. Let’s go inside, grab a book and sit a while.

bookstore in paris

Well, I think that’s it for today. I think we’ve seen quite a lot and had a nice long walking day around the city. I’m so glad you’ve joined me!! If you’re blessed enough to be in Paris more than one day, I would definitely recommend seeing Sacre Coeur. It has an incredible view of the city, the Opera Garnier because it’s amazing and Versailles because it’s magnificent.

I hope you enjoyed our walking tour today. Next week I think I’ll take you on a tour of the Paris Opera House — the Opera Garnier — because I have some pretty pictures and I never shared them!! It is a must-see in my opinion in Paris.

Now go have some cake because you walked a lot today! 😉

Check out more posts about visiting Paris!

A complete guide to visiting Paris

guide to getting around paris

Guide to Where to stay in Paris

29 Responses to Let’s take a walk through Paris

1. Ida March 18, 2014 at 8:16 am #

It is taking serious will-power to not jump onto a plane right now and land in Paris!! So beautiful!

• Natalia March 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

DO IT!! Best decision you’ll make today!! 🙂

2. The Domestic Fringe March 18, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

It’s so awesome that you get to live in such a beautiful place. Love all the photos!
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia March 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Oh man, it is really cool! I mean, I don’t live in Paris, but it’s so fun to be in France! Beautiful country!

3. Emily March 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

LOVE this! Just followed you on Pinterest & Instagram – lets connect & be friends! @emilyahlbum 🙂

• Natalia March 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Done! Love meeting new people!

4. Kelly March 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

These are great tips, thank you! I have bookmarked them for my upcoming trip!

• Natalia March 20, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Oh good, I’m so glad! I’m sure your trip will be amazing!! 🙂

5. Doreen Armstrong April 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Hi Natalia, thank you for the wonderful tour of Paris. I was there a few years back. I fell in love with Paris and hope to go back soon.
    thanks
    Doreen

• Natalia April 8, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

It is a fabulous city, so much to see and do. It’s like a dream. I will always love Paris.

6. Deirdre April 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

Just took my first trip into Paris. The city has my heart. It was even more beautiful than one could imagine!

• Natalia April 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Oh I am so glad to hear you share my sentiments exactly! It truly is a marvelous city!

7. Jamie April 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

This is so great! I’m actually visiting Paris in a couple of weeks! Any favorite shopping spots I should check out?

• Natalia April 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Oh yay, you’ll have SO much fun!! Check out the Galleries Lafayette which is just behind the Opera Garnier. Or the Champs of course but that might be expensive. Also just on the other side of the louvre there’s some great shopping, lots of fun stores. Have fun!!

8. Carolina April 18, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Wow you saw a lot in a day! You guys were road runners. 😉

• Natalia April 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

I know, we really did! But it was a beautiful walk, well worth it.

9. Julie July 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

Paris is always a good idea. Just came back from Paris.
    Can’t wait to go back.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Julie x

• Natalia July 3, 2014 at 8:53 am #

Oh it is, isn’t it? I love that city so much!! I can always think of a good reason!

10. Lourdes August 30, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Hi Natalia, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. I went to Paris earlier this month for the first time, I totally fell in love with such an amazing city. It was a wonderful experience to be there, more than I expected from a trip. I realized Paris is more than the Eiffel tower, wines, crepes and macaroons, Paris is like an entity in itself. J’adore Paris!

• Natalia August 31, 2014 at 12:30 am #

OH my gosh, yes! Isn’t it? There’s just something about the city, it’s almost magical. I know that sounds a little dramatic, but I’m sure you understand! So fun that you were able to go!

11. Katrina September 24, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Im planning to go on an Education Abroad program studying art history in Paris this upcoming summer. I was wondering since there is so much walking what shoes do you recommend wearing?

I know that the style there is ballet flats, heels, etc. But I must says someone who isn’t use to walking for long periods or miles and miles. This shoes will be harsh on the feet.

• Natalia September 25, 2014 at 4:52 am #

They love boots here too. Do you have any ankle booties? They don’t have to have heels, just ankle booties with flats. But I guess it will be summer, so it could be kinda warm. I would suggest the ballet flats or even some cute sandals that are comfy and keep your feet strapped in. I have never visited Paris in the summer so I don’t really know. I would say whatever you choose, wear them in before you go!

12. Ulyana November 21, 2014 at 10:19 am #

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for a wonderful tour. I will be going to Paris for 2 days in early December and definitely want to follow your foot steps and do a walking tour.

• Natalia November 22, 2014 at 12:05 am #

OH I hope you get a chance! I hope the weather is good for you too. It’ll be cold, but if it’s not rainy, it’ll be perfect! Even in the rain Paris is beautiful!

13. Hind November 30, 2014 at 10:22 am #

Paris is definitely one of the best cities I visited this year.

Hind from Morocco.

14. Christina February 13, 2015 at 6:45 pm #

Wow! Glad I came across your blog. Totally did this last time I was there… The metro to the tour d Eiffel. Walked till Tuileries, was actually planning to walk till the louvre but my booties got in the way… Paris is just too beatiful for words. And you said… It’s definitely a lot of walking. Parisians are actually friendly and not stuck up as some people say.. Got lost several times but people were just so friendly to help…

• Natalia February 24, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Isn’t it a great walk? So much fun. Parisians can be very nice once you are nice and give a little effort. I think they don’t like the stereotypical American who says things like “why don’t they speak English here?!” Which sounds ridiculous, but I’ve heard it said a few times!! Anyway, sounds like you had an amazing trip!

15. George June 7, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

Dear Natalia hi,
    we are running http://www.guidora.com. We are selling travel itineraries for 3 or more days at specific destinations. Would you like to become our affiliate? We give 50% commission on sales. Just msg us at our email, in case you are interested.

Thnx and keep up the good work with your blog!

George

1. Saturday Morning Reading - The Rachel Emily Blog - February 28, 2015

[…] you have been to Paris or not (raises hand) I think you can appreciate this Walk Through Paris post from Ma Nouvelle Mode. She literally walks from one side of Paristo the other, snapping […]