Embrace your True Beauty

What is beautiful?

Is it tall (but not too tall), white (not not too white), thin (but not too thin), with perfect blonde-ish beach-wavy hair?

Recently my older son has become a little more aware of the way he looks, how he’s different and what he ‘should’ look like. He is very self-conscious about his teeth, because it’s taken a while to have the front two come in. He is very aware that he is ‘brown’ as he calls it and that he’s pretty much the only kid in the area that is. He has never mentioned that as a negative thing, but he is still very aware.

my boys

And honestly, it breaks my heart that he’s started to find things ‘wrong’ with himself. I wish it were easier for him and really for everyone to look in the mirror and see the ย beautiful work that God did. He doesn’t make mistakes and you were made the exact way you were supposed to be made.

I write this blog about beauty, fashion, hair, and style not because those things are the way to become beautiful. I hope my point never comes across that I think you need these things to look or feel great about yourself. I absolutely never want to give the impression that you have to look a particular way to be beautiful.

So today I thought would be as good a time as ever to get back to the roots of why I am here writing. Makeup, hair, style, they’re fun. I enjoy them. I enjoy putting myself together and feeling good about myself after. But that’s not beauty. Me, exactly the way God formed me, that’s beautiful. With my big ears, ย big feet, my 6-foot-tall frame, my big thighs and small boobs — all those things are beautiful.

And you. When you look in the mirror, whether you see pale skin or chocolate brown, stick straight hair or frizzy as ever — you too are beautiful!! What an amazing world we live in that no one looks exactly the same! Can you imagine if everyone was the same or even similar? How boring!!

Today, I have a little challenge for you. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you’re beautiful. Give yourself permission to say it and to feel it. You’re not being cocky, you’re not self-centered, you’re not gloating. You’re admiring the handiwork of our Creator. And you know what, whether you agree or not with that last statement, it doesn’t matter. There is beauty in the individuality and uniqueness of each and every one of us.

I saw this video from the lovely Lupita Nyong’o as she accepted an award at an Essence Magazine’s Black Women in Hollywood show. She is well spoken, elegant and beautiful and I think what she shares can be applied to us all. I hope you get a minute to watch it!

Kinda deep for a Thursday morning? I watched this video the other day (thanks, Mom, for pointing it out!) and knew I had to write a little piece about it. I want to make sure I never lose focus about why I write here. I also truly want to be inspiring for anyone who happens to read. I want you to see your true beauty and feel like you can conquer your world.

Because, girl — you most certainly can.

12 Responses to Embrace your True Beauty

1. Ingrid March 13, 2014 at 6:29 am #

Breaks my heart that your little man is feeling self conscious the way he is. You are doing a great job mama, and keep it up. He will get more confident ๐Ÿ™‚ I always struggled with self image up until I hit 30 I swear! It is hard to accept that we are perfect the way we are. But the things that used to bother me, I now embrace. I love being tall, have accepted my big feet ๐Ÿ˜‰ and my frizzy hair! Keep on encouraging!

• Natalia March 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

Seriously, it’s a weird thing because his dad most certainly isn’t like that, he’s the most confident guy I know! And honestly, I’m not even like that, I’ve come to be okay with who I am. Of course there are things that aren’t my favorite, but I’m good, you know? We just keep trying to reinforce confidence in himself and not relying on what other people say because most of the time it doesn’t matter. But we’ve all got our baggage, I hope he grows out of this one!!

2. Ida March 13, 2014 at 7:00 am #

I love this post. I am actually in a mood today where I am wearing sneakers and a cardigan and have my crazy frizzy hair on the loose and I feel pretty. My stepkids have light skin and light eyes and they refer to my son as brown. It doesn’t bother him. Maybe he is too young to realize it or he just doesn’t care. Or I guess it’s because since I have tan skin and dark hair, he figures we match, so its fine! I think he is beautiful just he way he is and I try to defer my stepkids from acknowledging any difference. We are all people.

• Natalia March 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

I think seeing color is a totally normal thing. my kids say that about themselves and about me being ‘white.’ I’m okay with that, it is fact after all. It when you start treating people different based on looks in any form that matters. We are all people and different is unique!

3. Maggie March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am #

So true! Makeup/fashion/hair can all be fun, yet sometimes I find girls who use them to create someone who’s not them. That’s heartbreaking! I applaud you for redirecting everyone back to the fact that the way we are made is the most beautiful!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natalia March 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Thank you. I think it’s super important especially in this day and age. TV and even blogs make everyone feel inadequate because everyone portrays their best self. I’ll always be real though! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Cate @ Wild Ruffle March 13, 2014 at 7:08 am #

This is so great. I write about the same type of things, but what I really want people to know is that dressing well or taking care of your skin isn’t what beauty really is. I have two daughters, and I want them to know their true beauty comes from the Lord – and that they are perfect just the way they are. I’m going to have to share this post on the Wild Ruffle FB page this afternoon!

• Natalia March 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you! I am glad you liked it. I totally agree with you, too many people now a days are just getting the wrong idea. Young ladies and adults alike! I really want to emphasize it here. Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Ashley March 13, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

So. SO good. I’ve been thinking the same thoughts lately… especially with my Emma getting older. Great post!!!

• Natalia March 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

The older they get the harder things get because it’s so hard to figure out how to handle things! We just try to reaffirm my son that he’s so handsome and God made him just right. Hopefully it sinks in! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Luc March 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks for this post, very interesting, and it made me a little sad that your guy is already feeling this! And I think it hits a nerve with me, for my own son, whose aged 8. He came home from school recently saying that he is too skinny! He is skinny – he’s genetically made that way. I felt so sad that this was already an issue.
    I had a long talk about how many cool people in his life are skinny – his dad, his favourite cousin, in fact all of his cousins. I also talked about how his dad’s friends all wish they were built more like dad now as they hit their forties! But it is hard for a little guy to look forward thirty years of course! I definitely had more success with pointing out the other people he knew who were skinny, and how they are also strong and athletic.
    But at the same time, I didn’t want to make a massive deal about it!! Gah!
    Sounds like you handled this well, I think.

• Natalia March 18, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

Oh my heart goes out to him too! It’s hard being little and you just want to fit in. We try to encourage and encourage but I think the bottom line is no matter what we do (although we can help) our kids will have to figure it out on their own. It’s a tough thing because sometimes I’m like “Just listen to me!!” but he’ll learn better when he gets it himself!