It’s a glorious Monday here because guess what, we’re on vacation. My sons and I have two weeks without school and it’s wonderful. I love my school, but I am so thankful to have the same vacation as my kids. That, coupled with some really exciting news I can’t wait to share with you, makes my Monday pretty stinkin’ awesome.
So why not start off this week bold and fierce? Last week we started off Monday with some bold lip inspiration so why won’t we keep the trend going? I talked about the options for bold lip colors this spring last time and I thought it would also be fun to break it down, a post for each color. Hope you like it!
Why not start with red? Red lipstick is the most classic, basic bold lip out there and once you learn to rock it you’ll be on your way to bold colors everywhere. And you’ll feel fierce while doing it. BAM.
It’s really actually simple. If you’re intimidated by wearing a bold red lipstick color, don’t be!! Here are some tips and tricks to rocking it with confidence.
- Exfoliate before hand. This way your lips will be nice and smooth and ready for the lipstick. No crackling or chapped lips here!
- Don’t line with a red liner. I know you’ve probably seen that you should use a red liner, but in an effort to not have the color bleed, a neutral liner is probably best. Add the lipstick over the liner just up to the edge.
- Use a lip gloss brush. I always use a brush like shown in the pictures to make sure my lines are straight. You can get it exactly how you want it this way.
- Lock in with powder. In between coats you can lock in the color with a translucent powder. Then add your second coat. This should help it stay longer.
- Add concealer. To the outside of your lips to help prevent the color from bleeding and keep the line nice and smooth.
- Check on it. Take some subtle glances throughout the evening to make sure it’s all in place and not on your teeth. If you’re out with a friend or someone you trust, ask them to kindly let you know if something’s out of place.
- Reapply. There aren’t many lipsticks that will stay all day without needing to be reapplied. Even my matte MAC lipstick I have to reapply. It’s okay! Just take a second, reapply and you’re ready to go!
- Keep the rest of your look simple. No need to wear dark eye makeup or a smokey eye. I usually keep it simple with some strong dark eye liner or a cat eye. With the shadows I usually just wear creams with a light, light brown in the crease.
- Confidence!! I have to include this is almost every beauty post because seriously, it’s your best quality, I promise. Trust me, you look gorgeous. Know it, own it, and rock it like you were born to do it. Everyone will be very impressed.
Now if you’re wondering what colors will work for you and your skin tone – no worries. I’ve gotcha covered. Here’s a breakdown of which red lipstick will look best with your skin tone.
- For fair skin tones go with a true bright red with a blue undertone (rather than yellow) to bring warmth to your face.
- For beige skin try to find a coral-y red, more red with an orange/pumpkin-ish undertone. This way you have the red but it compliments your skin.
- For tan skin try a bold, brick red. A shade slightly darker and richer than a cherry red.
- For olive skin, try a bright berry red. Something with a fuchsia or raspberry undertone would be beautiful. Try to stay away from neon colors.
- For deep chocolate skin try a red that has a purple undertone. Something along the lines of pomegranate would be lovely.
- For a coffee skin color, try a beautiful true red. It will look lovely for the same reasons it does on the fair skinned gal – contrast!
My absolute favorite red lipstick that I unfortunately I lost somehow (how does one manage to loose a lipstick?!) is Maybelline Very Cherry. Coming in second is my MAC Viva Glam for a deeper matte red. And third but most certainly not least is my Revlon Rich Girl Red which is a more sheer red, great for starters. Here are my top ten favorites red lipsticks to choose from.
- Maybelline Verry Cherry – $7.49
- MAC Viva Glam – $16
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Rich Girl Glam– $6.99
- MAC in Ruby Woo – $16
- Nars Jungle Red – $26
- Bobby Brown Vintage Red – $28
- Bobby Brown Lip Gloss Siren Red – $24
- NYX Matte Lip color in Perfect Red – $5.99
- MAC in Lady Danger – $16
- Laura Mercier in Red Amour – $26
So there you have it! I feel like with this post you are pretty well equipped to go ahead and rock that saucy red!!
Do you already have a favorite red lipstick? Do share in the comments, I’m always looking for some new colors! Hope you have a fantastic Monday!