Finding the Perfect Red Lipstick

Hello all!

It’s a glorious Monday here because guess what, we’re on vacation. My sons and I have two weeks without school and it’s wonderful. I love my school, but I am so thankful to have the same vacation as my kids. That, coupled with some really exciting news I can’t wait to share with you, makes my Monday pretty stinkin’ awesome.

So why not start off this week bold and fierce? Last week we started off Monday with some bold lip inspiration so why won’t we keep the trend going? I talked about the options for bold lip colors this spring last time and I thought it would also be fun to break it down, a post for each color. Hope you like it!

Why not start with red? Red lipstick is the most classic, basic bold lip out there and once you learn to rock it you’ll be on your way to bold colors everywhere. And you’ll feel fierce while doing it. BAM.

Tips on how to wear bold red lipstick

It’s really actually simple. If you’re intimidated by wearing a bold red lipstick color, don’t be!! Here are some tips and tricks to rocking it with confidence.

• Exfoliate before hand. This way your lips will be nice and smooth and ready for the lipstick. No crackling or chapped lips here!
  • Don’t line with a red liner. I know you’ve probably seen that you should use a red liner, but in an effort to not have the color bleed, a neutral liner is probably best. Add the lipstick over the liner just up to the edge.
  • Use a lip gloss brush. I always use a brush like shown in the pictures to make sure my lines are straight. You can get it exactly how you want it this way.
  • Lock in with powder. In between coats you can lock in the color with a translucent powder. Then add your second coat. This should help it stay longer.
  • Add concealer. To the outside of your lips to help prevent the color from bleeding and keep the line nice and smooth.
  • Check on it. Take some subtle glances throughout the evening to make sure it’s all in place and not on your teeth. If you’re out with a friend or someone you trust, ask them to kindly let you know if something’s out of place.
  • Reapply. There aren’t many lipsticks that will stay all day without needing to be reapplied. Even my matte MAC lipstick I have to reapply. It’s okay! Just take a second, reapply and you’re ready to go!
  • Keep the rest of your look simple. No need to wear dark eye makeup or a smokey eye. I usually keep it simple with some strong dark eye liner or a cat eye. With the shadows I usually just wear creams with a light, light brown in the crease.
  • Confidence!! I have to include this is almost every beauty post because seriously, it’s your best quality, I promise. Trust me, you look gorgeous. Know it, own it, and rock it like you were born to do it. Everyone will be very impressed.

How to rock a red lip color

Now if you’re wondering what colors will work for you and your skin tone – no worries. I’ve gotcha covered. Here’s a breakdown of which red lipstick will look best with your skin tone.

• For fair skin tones go with a true bright red with a blue undertone (rather than yellow) to bring warmth to your face.
  • For beige skin try to find a coral-y red, more red with an orange/pumpkin-ish undertone. This way you have the red but it compliments your skin.
  • For tan skin try a bold, brick red. A shade slightly darker and richer than a cherry red.
  • For olive skin, try a bright berry red. Something with a fuchsia or raspberry undertone would be beautiful. Try to stay away from neon colors.
  • For deep chocolate skin try a red that has a purple undertone. Something along the lines of pomegranate would be lovely.
  • For a coffee skin color, try a beautiful true red. It will look lovely for the same reasons it does on the fair skinned gal – contrast!

My absolute favorite red lipstick that I unfortunately I lost somehow (how does one manage to loose a lipstick?!) is Maybelline Very Cherry. Coming in second is my MAC Viva Glam for a deeper matte red. And third but most certainly not least is my Revlon Rich Girl Red which is a more sheer red, great for starters. Here are my top ten favorites red lipsticks to choose from.

top ten red lipsticks you need to try

1. Maybelline Verry Cherry – $7.49
  2. MAC Viva Glam – $16
  3. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Rich Girl Glam– $6.99
  4. MAC  in Ruby Woo – $16
  5. Nars Jungle Red – $26
  6. Bobby Brown Vintage Red – $28
  7. Bobby Brown Lip Gloss Siren Red – $24
  8. NYX Matte Lip color in Perfect Red – $5.99
  9. MAC in Lady Danger – $16
  10. Laura Mercier in Red Amour – $26

So there you have it! I feel like with this post you are pretty well equipped to go ahead and rock that saucy red!!

Do you already have a favorite red lipstick? Do share in the comments, I’m always looking for some new colors! Hope you have a fantastic Monday!

17 Responses to Finding the Perfect Red Lipstick

1. Niki Caron March 3, 2014 at 7:46 am #

I love a good red lip and MAC’s Ruby Woo is one of my all time favorites!

• Natalia March 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Yes! MAC lipsticks are my all time favorites, all of them! Ruby Woo is definitely a perfect red!

2. Kate March 3, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

I love Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. It’s really easy for a relative makeup novice (me) and it has great longevity. I’m very fair-skinned with dark hair, and it seems to be a good color for me!

• Natalia March 3, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

Oh a lip pencil, I bet it’s fabulous! The name sounds fabulous anyway, Cruella. Sounds extra fierce, I’m gonna have to look that one up! 🙂

3. ida December 29, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I just started wearing red lips, the 1st red I chose was very cherry! I guess I chose wisely! I always thought i was too dark. Wish I could post a pic, I love it.

4. Emily August 14, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

I love Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fire & Ice and Loreal Infallible Prolast 2 step 24 hour Lipcolor in Infallible Red!

• Natalia August 17, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

Those sound beautiful, I’m gonna have to check them out! Thanks for sharing!

• Bethany December 8, 2015 at 4:50 pm #

Which lipstick on your 1-10 is for fair skin? I don’t know which has blue undertones. I’m guessing very cherry and ruby woo?

• Natalia December 16, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

You’re right, very true reds are great for fair skin! Give them a try and let me know what you thinK!

5. Kristina Veirum December 13, 2015 at 2:55 am #

My favorite red lipstick is also by Maybelline but it’s called Lady Red with the number 527 🙂 I find that Maybelline is very long lasting. I usually buy high end beauty products but I can’t imagine, that there would be many other brands that will beat this one. Many thanks for your top 10 red lipstick recommendations:-) Best regards from Kristina.

• Natalia December 16, 2015 at 5:27 pm #

Great tip, thank you! I am gonna have to try this one!

6. Jackie January 8, 2016 at 7:55 am #

Thanks for the tip about a neutral liner works awesome. I have always loved Nars and Maybelline must try the very cherry

• Natalia January 14, 2016 at 10:47 am #

I’m glad that tip helped!

1. Pink Lipsticks to try this Spring | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - March 17, 2014

[…] last time we talked about the classic red lip. It’s for everyone. I promise you can wear a bold red lip! But since spring is showing its […]

2. Orange Lipsticks to Try | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - March 24, 2014

[…] last couple Mondays we’ve chatted about lipstick colors to wear. We talked about the perfect red lipstick and how to get it. Then we talked about rocking a pink lipstick because it’s absolutely […]

3. Summer Lipstick Colors | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - June 16, 2014

[…] you might think “it looks great on her, but I could never wear it.” Not true, ladies! There’s a red for everyone! When choosing the reds for this collection I chose brighter, orange-ish reds as opposed to deeper […]

4. Noir – The Faux Parisian - January 21, 2016

[…] Now a couple variations to the all-black trend include adding a pop of color in a bag or statement piece of jewelry, a bright shoe or even just a pop of color on the lips. I’m in love with a good red lip and I think it amps up the look by about a billion or so. If you can’t find the right red lipstick or think you can’t wear it because of your skintone or it always gets on your teeth then there are solutions. […]