Our French House Tour

Hello all!

Today I’m pretty excited about my post. The other day I shared with you all on Instagram that I had totally cleaned my house. It was beautiful. And of course, you might agree, when your house is that clean, it needs to be documented!! So I bring you..

French House Tour

While it was clean (the hour after I cleaned it… it’s not nearly as clean right now…) I decided I needed to snap pictures of it for my French house tour. See the thing is that I had wanted to do a French house tour for a long time but some stuff stopped me. For starters, I’ve never had a house quite as cute as the one we’re living in now. Secondly, I had it in my mind that it needed to be beyond perfect. Fresh flowers, little extras everywhere, you know the drill. But then I decided, that’s not life. I don’t always have fresh flowers. Actually hardly ever! Our house is lived in. It’s real, it’s us, and it most certainly isn’t always perfect. If I waited for perfect, I’d never get it done.

That being said, these pictures are definitely more ‘perfect’ than our day to day lives around here. Backpacks in the entry way, little pebbles everywhere (we have a pebble path that wraps around our house=never clean floors), papers on the counter, you know, the usual. So just don’t think we live like this all the time. I wish.

And fair warning — picture overload!! I hope you enjoy them!

French Dining Area

French dining area

My mom hand-painted the beautiful Bon AppΓ©tit sign. I mean, seriously? That’s some talent. And I bought that table with my own hard earned blogging money and it’s my favorite piece in the whole house. It’s beautiful.

French dining areas French doors French kitchen sitting area French living area

French rug

I forgot, any house tour of ours needs to come with a disclaimer. The life of a basketuer and his family is an interesting one. We sign contracts to play for a team only for one, maybe two years and then we move again. In fact, we’ve been married 6 1/2 years and have lived in 6 houses in France. This is the prettiest one we’ve had by far and my favorite. If you watch House Hunter’s International, you may have seen my family in one of our other houses here. Yep, that’s us, in case you were wondering.

All that to say — the mismatched chairs, the tiny/no space kitchen, most of the furniture, the tiiiiiiny oven and things like that — those are not our choices. We get a house that is mostly furnished and we have to make the most out of it. Some of the things here I have bought — the table, the black & white blanket, the rug — the rest we work around. Just thought I’d throw that out there. πŸ™‚ Since we know we’re going to move soon, we usually don’t buy a lot for our house. We will be in this house for two years, so we’ve done a little more.

French Kitchen

French kitchen space French kitchen chevron French kitchen extras 2 French kitchen extras French Kitchen view French kitchen

It’s small, but not the smallest we’ve ever had! The chevron my mom brought from the States when she visited and it’s mean to line drawers. But it looked so cute I couldn’t resist! I think it really brings the kitchen together. And all our stuff sitting on top? Ya, that’s because we have next to no storage. And for a big, hungry family, it kind stinks. We make it work somehow!

French Living Area

French book case French living areas French living space French space French wall

I absolutely love my subway-ish poster with all the city names. I love items that have a special meaning and since we travel a ton, it’s fun to have this one with places we’ve been and places we’re dying to go. So far I’ve hit 5 on the list.

The pictures around it, that you can’t see very well, are pictures of places that we’ve been that we’ve taken and small posters from a street vendor in Paris. So we’ve got London, Sweden, Paris, and Amsterdam represented in personal pictures.

You can’t see him super well, but I adore my little owl that hangs out on the book shelf. He’s just so smart and cute. Thank you to my friend Lorraine, I probably wouldn’t have bought him!

Well, that’s all I have for today. As I add more or fix up other rooms, I will share them. On my list of to-dos is the boys room which needs a ton of help, and my office which also needs a ton of help!

So what do you think? Is it what you imagined a little French house would look like?

33 Responses to Our French House Tour

1. Rachel S. February 27, 2014 at 6:05 am #

I’m not sure what I thought a French house would look like! The kitchen is small like I imagined, but far more modern and stylish than I would have thought (but that’s all you, I’m sure!). I love the house! I wish mine had such clean lines! And clean floors…

• Natalia February 27, 2014 at 11:25 am #

Thanks! My floors are hardly ever that clean though, I must admit! And I must say this isn’t a very typical French house, it has a lot more open space than usual. But I’ll take it!

2. Autumn February 27, 2014 at 6:17 am #

It looks great! Love the chevron! So fun!

• Natalia February 27, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Thank you! The chevron was definitely a fun touch!

3. Amy S. February 27, 2014 at 6:25 am #

What a great place – love all of the light! It reminds of a flat I lived in for a while in Belgium, compact but just so cute at the same time. I really love the chevron on the cabinet, dresses it up nicely!

• Natalia February 27, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Thank you! So fun you lived in Belgium! I have just visited once, but it’s a beautiful place!! This house is definitely our favorite!

4. Lisa February 27, 2014 at 7:28 am #

Cute house! I love how light it is and the wood ceiling and counters. I notice the stove and fridge are smaller than what we use in America. That would take some getting used to.

• Natalia February 27, 2014 at 11:23 am #

Yes, yes they are. A lot smaller than American fridges!! We actually asked for another one this year to fit all our groceries!

5. Niki Caron February 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Your home is so beautiful and so airy! I love the hand painted sign in the kitchen!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:49 am #

Thank you! My mom is one talented lady! I just wish I could have done it!

6. Leigh Anne February 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

It’s super cute! I love the way you styled it! I cannot imagine having no storage & a tiny fridge….how do the French do it? Do they just go to the grocery store every day? I just went to WalMart yest and it will last 2wks but I’m pretty sure my stuff wouldn’t come close to fitting in your fridge. Not trying to be mean….just curious how their culture is differnt from ours :)). So glad u shared! I bet moving that often has made you keep a lighter load. We have been in the same house for 10 yrs and I feel the need to purge!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:49 am #

Yes, definitely a lighter load here. Our kids have one toy chest of toys. And every year when we move we go through them and toss the broken ones and give away the ones they don’t play with. Same with clothes. I don’t know if I would have lived this wa otherwise, but I love that we have to do it and it’s made me realize how great it is. Oh and no offense whatsoever about my fridge! It is tiny and it is hard to feed my always hungry family with this tiny space. So we actually asked for another fridge and have it in the garage. But the French do go shopping more often than Americans because they like their food fresh. So maybe 2 or 3 times a week they walk to the market. Not me, I go once a week because I don’t really like grocery shopping! I like the idea of always having fresh fruits/veggies etc. but I don’t like the idea of always being at the store!

7. jeannett February 27, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

loooooooove this.
    so cute.
    and love that table.

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:43 am #

Thank you! The table is my pride and joy in this house. I’m very protective of my baby!

8. jeannett February 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Oh, and bedrooms?
    You know like in Cribs when they ALWAYS say “and this is where the magic happens”?

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:42 am #

LOL you don’t want to see “where the magic happens” because it’s literally a bed and a dresser. French rooms are smaaaaallllll. But I will get to it, if only to show Americans how lucky they really are! πŸ™‚

9. Sherry February 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

It looks great! So clean, simple and modern. Love it! Thanks for sharing:)

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:44 am #

Of course! It was really fun to do!

10. Nathalia February 28, 2014 at 12:52 am #

That looks like such a pretty house and it has so many windows! I know what it’s like to have to work with what is already there, since my family moved a lot and I follow that tradition. But you know, I feel almost claustrophobic if I think of having to choose all the furniture for FOREVER. Yes it would all be perfect and match and what not, but then I could never decide if this is the style I would want.
    We bought or collected all our own furniture and a lot of times for versatility, but if you have to arrange it around existing furniture you can get much more creative.

Btw, my friend has one of those straw-covered chairs, it is already a little rickety and usually reserved for the last person to get seated, and told her I didn’t mind, because they made me feel like I was in France. They all thought I was crazy, but look, you have them in your French house in France!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 4:45 am #

Oh I love that we had them and that you said that, how fun! Show your friends so they know you’re not crazy! πŸ™‚ I totally understand about the furniture forever thing. I don’t know what I’ll do when we have to really live in one place. I’ve grown to love this crazy life of ours!

11. Tammi February 28, 2014 at 4:57 am #

Oh, it brings back such wonderful memories!!!!! And you did a great job with the photos showing the whole space. Maybe when Dad and Jorge get there they can fix the shelving in the entryway so you can get that photo in your next post πŸ™‚ I can.not.wait. to get there and to see you. We miss you and all your boys so much! Good job on the photos! And I’ll have to tell Lorraine she got a shout-out. She’ll like that!
    Love you!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Yes, tell her! Can’t wait for you guys either, I hope you get to come!! πŸ™‚

12. chrissy@thePEARLblog February 28, 2014 at 6:07 am #

I love the bright light that comes in the house. Girl you make it look so cute in there. I love it all. esp the chevron cupboards! mixed with pops of green. swoon!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Thank you, you’re so sweet! Seriously, I think the pictures make it look better than it is. But it’s a cute little place. And the green I started with when we got married and I wish I could change it now, but we can’t. So green it is!

13. Anna @ IHOD February 28, 2014 at 6:45 am #

Oh its lovely Natalia! So many fun eye catching details! Thank you for the fun tour!

• Natalia February 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Thank you! It’s by far the prettiest, most fun house we’ve had so far! I’m loving having a place I can actually do things to! πŸ™‚

14. Sheila March 2, 2014 at 5:29 am #

Hi Natalia,

Your little french house is charming!

All the natural light is fabulous – let the sunshine in – especially when it is wintertime!

I love your mismatched chairs and adore the little kitchen cart where you corral your utensils and spices in baskets.

Using the chevron shelf paper on the cabinet doors was brilliant – it’s a great detail that POPS!

A home designer/decorator has been born – next we will see you featured in Better Homes & Gardens….hehehe

Good job!

S.

• Natalia March 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

LOL, Let’s not push it!! I’m not a decorator, that’s for sure! I love our little house, and I wish I was better, but alas, not my strong suit! The mismatched chairs are a result of just getting whatever the team gives us. The kitchen cart I bought a few years ago and always need it because our kitchen is always small! But this house is my favorite by far!! I love the natural light too, now if only the sun would come out more!!

15. Wanda March 2, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Oh…Em…Gee! You WERE on House Hunters! I’ve been following your blog for almost a year and many, many times I thought, “She looks SO familiar. Her family situation sounds so familiar.”
    Lol now I know. Your home is lovely. Enjoy it to the max!

• Natalia March 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

So funny!! Yep, we were, a little while ago, but it reruns quite a bit I think. Every once in a while I’ll get texts, tweets, Facebooks saying “watching you on TV!!” It’s kinda weird! But it was a fun experience!

16. Courtney June 30, 2014 at 9:50 am #

I love what you’ve done with your space! Even with the chairs not matching in the dining, it looks fabulous! The chevron is brilliant and the natural light is awesome! Do you happen to have a link to or title of the episode of House Hunters? I watch it all the time but I don’t watch International much.

• Natalia July 3, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Hi! thank you so much, I love the way it turned out too. The title of our House Hunters Show is called “A family together in France.” I’m not sure if you can find it online, but I know it reruns a lot!!

1. Sunday Stoppings: Great Reads from around the InternetMa Nouvelle Mode - March 6, 2014

[…] you missed it this week, I shared 25 things about me you might not have known and I shared a peek into our little French home. It’s not much, but it’s ours and it’s cozy and cute. (when it’s clean)Β I […]