How to Use Dry Shampoo

So I have been M to the I to the A lately and I’m not gonna lie, I kinda liked it. It was the holidays and we were on vacation and my kids are still outta school and I just didn’t have that much motivation! I am excited about 2014 and ready to kick some serious butt. I’m giving school in France a shot (nervous!!), working, & still doing all the major mom/wife things I usually do. And I’m excited about it!

One of my blog goals in 2014 is to have a hair tutorial with a video up every Friday. This might be a total long shot for me because, well, I suck at consistency, but I wanted to give myself a goal. What a better way to start off those videos than with a little tut on how to use dry shampoo.

How to use Dry Shampoo

I wash my hair two times a week, if I’m lucky. I have a lot of thick hair and it’s a hassle to dry. I probably use dry shampoo more than I use regular shampoo! Let me give you a few reasons why I love it.

• Helps your hair look less greasy
  • Creates volume at the roots
  • Helps hold tease
  • Freshens up any look
  • Helps in styling hair

I could go on but you get the point, it’s awesome. If you don’t own any, you need to so stay tuned, I’ll suggest some later on. But seriously, what’s better than spraying your roots, styling your hair and walking out the door. I don’t know if there is anything…

Little disclaimer. I know you see lots of beautiful, perfectly coiffed hairstyles out there and those are fabulous. I have just come to the realization that, while I love those styles too, that will never be me. I’m not ‘perfectly coiffed.’ Come to think of it, I’m not ‘perfectly’ anything. And since this blog is a reflection of me, it’s not perfect either! The styles I want to share are for normal people. Women on the go. Who maybe don’t wash their hair as much as they’d like. Women who need quick, easy fixes. You get the picture.

Oh and if you want perfectly clean hair, just wash it. Dry shampoo is a quick fix, so if you’re expecting it to be perfect with it, you’ll be disappointed.

Here’s my experience:

how to use dry shampoo before and after

Oh geez, I need to color my hair. Point taken. Other than that, can you the difference? Total grease bomb in the first photo and nice and fluffy in the second. Like I said, this is not a cure all. If you want super clean hair then take a shower! In the meantime, this is fabulous!

Obviously using dry shampoo is super duper easy. But I’ve put together a little video explaining how to use it and how I use it. Check it out.

Now let’s talk about which products are the best. Here is my personal experience. I tried Tigi bed Head Rockaholic on clients and personally a bit. I liked it but I wasn’t completely WOWed by it, you know? Then I bought Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak because I don’t prefer to spend a buttload on products although I will if I have to. It worked but it was noticeable in my roots & I really could not stand the smell. Then I got a package for an ULTA Beauty campaign with ton of awesome products and Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Dry Shampoo was one of them. I tried it and loved it. You can really see the difference, it doesn’t leave a residue, and works with my brunette/redish hair. Score. Except the price tag, not my favorite. ($17.95 at ULTA)

So I asked on Facebook and got some other suggestions for you. Tresemme was one often suggested. Dove came recommended and even Not Your Mother’s a few times. The winners from the recommendations however were Batiste & Suave!

I think the bottom line is you have to find one that works for you. Everyone has different hair types & textures and what I love might not work for you. But who wants to buy a whole bottle of product just to find it doesn’t work? Bummer. Maybe try borrowing a spritz or two from a friend to see how you like it. I should start a beauty products trade website, wouldn’t that be cool? You could list old products and trade or buy new ones. Oh man, genius!

Here’s the links to the ones listed and some extras. Have at it! I think the best option is to just give them a try and find one that works for you! Good luck on your dry shampoo adventure!

This post contains affiliate links. This just means that if you click I get a small, small percentage and the price is still the same for you! Thanks for supporting Ma Nouvelle Mode in this small way!

20 Responses to How to Use Dry Shampoo

1. Sheila January 3, 2014 at 6:29 am #

Happy New Year Natalia!

My hair is very fine & I normally wash it everyday and have never ever tried a dry shampoo…however it appears this may be a good product to have on hand and I am going to check some out further…thanks for your thoughts & brand reviews!

P.S. going to share this blog with my daughter who has a very busy study & work schedule & may appreciate the convenience & time savings benefit these products could offer

Sheila

• Natalia January 4, 2014 at 6:34 am #

Oh yes, she definitely will if she hasn’t discovered it already! It’s a nice product to have even if it just extends the washing time a day or so. Cuts down on getting ready time in the morning! Hope you/she find one that works well for your type of hair! Happy New Year to you too! 🙂

2. JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose January 3, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Hi, I’ve never tried the dry shampoos before. I have thick coarse short hair so I may give the Suave a try, since I love their version of Sleek. Thanks for sharing Hopping over thru Creativity Unleashed party

• Natalia January 4, 2014 at 6:32 am #

Glad you like it! It’s definitely a must-have if you ask me. I need to try the suave as well. I think the key is finding your favorite since everyone is different!

3. Love it!! I got some dry shampoo a couple of years ago but I don’t think I was using it right because my hair looked just as greasy or maybe even more greasy after! Definitely going to try it again though. I can’t go more than 2 days without washing my hair! ps- Bonne Annee!! 😀

• Natalia January 4, 2014 at 6:31 am #

Bonne Annee a toi aussi! I don’t know if I’ve found dry shampoo here in France yet, but I haven’t really looked because I’ve always had some. Have you had any luck? It’s definitely worth another shot, love the stuff! Maybe try a different product though, it might work better on your hair or something. Good luck!

4. Andrea January 5, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

I have a lot of thick hair and it IS a pain to dry! I love dry shampoo. Definitely going to give some of the ones you suggested a try! Thanks!

• Natalia January 9, 2014 at 5:35 am #

Glad you liked it, thanks!

5. Jessi @ Practically Functional January 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

I have always wanted to try dry shampoo for those days when I’m in a rush, and it looks like it totally works for you! Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks for sharing this at Creativity Unleashed, pinning for sure!

• Natalia January 9, 2014 at 5:30 am #

Glad you liked it! It’s one of my favorite products that I use the most, a must-have for women if you ask me!! Hope you find a good one!

6. MedicMel January 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I am a paramedic and I work 24 hour shifts. I have waist length, very thick dense straight hair. It absorbs every smell I encounter as well as starts showing the grease. Often after shift I need to spend the day in town running errands so its been more than a day or 2 since I showered. I’ll do a bathroom cleanup, wash face, brush teeth, fresh deodorant and dry shampoo the hair. I feel like a normal woman instead of a stinky zombie that’s been up for 2 days. And I don’t feel as embarrassed to be out in public cuz I got rid of most of the stench.
    I’ve even used the dry shampoo to deodorize my clothes after entering a particularly wonderful smelling home/scene. It can leave white residue so spray from farther back and lightly but it has been a lifesaver when I can’t change and wash my uniforms mid shift.

• Natalia January 10, 2014 at 5:32 am #

OH wow! You’ve got it all figured out! And I’m sure you’ve found one where you love the smell, that definitely helps! Your hair sounds beautiful though, I love it!

7. Lush-Fab-Glam.com January 16, 2014 at 4:52 am #

Great tutorial Natalia, dry shampoos are a must when travelling or during a week with a hectic schedule. I use TRESemme dry shampoo which I reviewed here and included tips to achieve fabulous results: http://www.lush-fab-glam.com/2011/09/have-you-tried-fresh-start-dry-shampoo.html

• Natalia January 22, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Yes, TRESemme got a lot of great reviews from my readers. I’ll have to dry that one!

8. Sonia January 18, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Hi Natalia! I love your hair! You mentioned you color your hair. What hair dye do you use?

• Natalia January 22, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Hi! I use a super dark brown and a red and ix them together. Usually I buy the due & everything at Sally’s but I’ve also used store bought versions and been fine with that. Hope this helps!

1. Double Headband Bun | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - January 14, 2014

[…] pins too unless you’re some sort of hair magician. Dry shampoo helps with the volume IMO. (It even has it’s own dedicated post!) The smoothing serum helps because with all the teasing you don’t want your hair to look like […]

2. Easy French Twist HairstyleMa Nouvelle Mode - January 31, 2014

[…] Friday. So far I feel pretty good about myself, I’ve done all but one Friday! I started with how to use dry shampoo because we all need it, don’t we? The week after I showed you my “dirty hair […]

3. Braided Bangs Half Up | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - March 14, 2014

[…] Shampoo. I’m a sucker for Big Sexy Hair brand. But here’s a post on Dry Shampoo so you can pick the best one for […]

4. No Heat Summer Hairstyles | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - July 11, 2014

[…] had your hair so dirty even dry shampoo is like “nah girl. That ain’t gonna happen”? No? Well, hmmm, I’m having a […]