Sacre Couer

Can you believe it? I’ve been to Paris quite a few times and never once made it up to Sacre Couer? And really, I don’t know why. It’s a little out of the way, a bit on the outskirts and when I’m there by myself, I like to shop and when I’m with friends who’ve never been they want to see all the typically touristy stuff.

The weekend before last I was in Paris. And I really don’t care how often I go, I really don’t think it will ever get old. It’s such a beautiful, romantic city. And not the kind of lovey-dovey romance (although it can be that too) but the kind that is hard to describe. There’s just a sense about the city that  makes it so lovely.

In the past my mom has come with me to help me decorate my house & get used to my city. It’s really a lot of fun to do together. And I need some serious help. I could tell how you get into it though, it was so fun to see a house transform into a home. Anyway – more on that later! She decided to meet me in Paris because, well when is Paris ever a bad idea? I worked it out so I didn’t have my kids for the weekend and hopped on the earliest train available!

I took the train to the center, switched to the metro line that led to my hotel and made my way there. My mom had gotten in earlier that day, and we weren’t sure who’d make it to the hotel first. As I walked up and saw my hotel, my momma popped out! So fun! We left our bags (room wasn’t ready) and headed out for lunch. A little sidewalk cafe was perfect.

croque monsiuer

I had a ginormous burger and she had a croque monsieur – basically a French version of our ham & cheese sandwich but yummier. After a quick rest we were on our way! I love history and a few years ago read a 600 page biography on Marie Antoinette and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much that I bought another book by the same author about the wives of Henry VIII. So I wanted to see the conciergerie. This is where Marie Antoinette was in jail and spent the last days of her life.

It was closed.

Such. a. bummer.

So we made our way up to Sacre Couer. I had never been and oh what a sight! We didn’t climb the stairs *hangs head in shame* but took the little gondola thingie to the top. A little lazier, but so much easier.

me at scare couer sacre couer view from sacre couer

Beautiful, isn’t it? Really breath taking and no pictures would be able to do this view justice. If you’re in Paris and have time, this is a must see! I can’t believe I hadn’t been but definitely glad to mark it off my list.

After Sacre Couer we just strolled around. I took a picture of this beautiful metro stop and then a few days later while walking along the Seine I saw a drawing of it, so I bought it! Isn’t it pretty?

metro Cite Paris on the Seine

And I can’t leave you without leaving you with a pretty few of the city. When we popped up out of the metro and starting crossing a bridge this is what we saw. Now do you see what I mean by romantic? There is just something about this city.

I have a few more days to share, but I thought I would break them up a bit. You can read how we had to race to make our train ride & ended up taking a taxi home here. Because that’s just how I roll…

If you’d like to see more of my travels & life abroad, you can check out my Instagram or connect on Facebook! We usually have some pretty interesting conversations going on there!

Happy Tuesday!

12 Responses to Sacre Couer

1. Gina_AcuteDesigns October 29, 2013 at 6:46 am #

I haven’t been to paris in forever! I am jealous that you are so close – looks like you had an amazing time!

• Natalia October 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Yes, it is definitely so fun to be so close! Although it feels far, it’s like a 3 1/2 hour train ride. But then that’s a lot closer than so cal! You guys get to travel a lot though so that’s good! I’ve never been to Ireland, I’d love to go!

2. Tricia @ The Domestic Fringe October 29, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Wow. It really is beautiful. I have this goal of spending a summer in Europe. My dad lives in Portugal, so I figure I can make that my home base and then take short trips to all the other countries for a visit. It’s a bit of a dream right now, but I’m determined to make it happen.

Glad you got to spend some time with your mom.

~FringeGirl

• Natalia October 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Oh my gosh, DO IT! And it may seem like a dream because you’re not here, but when you get here you’ll see that it’s a lot easier than it looks. You could easily see so much of Europe doing that! They have airline that are really really cheap. I got a flight to London once for $30! If you do it while I am living here, you are more than welcome to stay with us. And I’m sure you’d find many people who would open up their homes for you to have that experience. It’s really amazing! I hope you get to do it someday!

3. Lisa October 29, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Beautiful city! I took French in high school and wanted to go on the senior trip to Paris. My parent’s wouldn’t let me. 🙁 Maybe someday, although now I don’t remember a lick of French except for Meri and Bonjour.

• Natalia October 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Oh I am sure it would come back so fast with a visit! It’s funny how it’s so hard to learn and so easy so lose! I hope you make it over someday, it’s such a beautiful country!

4. Alison October 30, 2013 at 4:37 am #

What a beautiful place! We just booked our tickets to Europe for Christmas, and we’re meeting up with friends to road-trip it a bit, so we’ll be starting Belgium at my in-law’s home, and finishing up in Paris. We might check out Sacre Couer! Gorgeous place; never been to it.

• Natalia October 31, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

It was definitely so beautiful. I had never been either, and the views are just breath taking. Every time I took a photo I just thought “this does not do it justice!” I mean so pretty! Who knows what the weather will be like when you’re there though! Hopefully you’ll make it up there!

5. Mélyssa December 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Oh you made a mistake it is the Sacre Coeur (like the heart) ^^

• Natalia December 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Whoops, thanks!!

• Mélyssa December 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

You welcome, kisses from France ! 😉

1. Things to see when you Visit ParisMa Nouvelle Mode - March 4, 2014

[…] all the times I had been to Paris I had never made it to Sacre Coeur until this last Paris trip in October. I am so glad I made it. The view is worth the trip in and of itself. On a clear day — which […]