My Whirlwind Life

So we’re here. If you didn’t already know, we spend half of the year in France. Well about 9-10 months. My husband plays basketball over here and we come and go. We have been married 6 years and we are living in our 6th house in our 5th city. Crazy, right? Little bit. You can follow the craziness on Instagram if you’d like. 🙂

I shared a picture a little while back of what I thought might have been our little French house while living here. Well, good news, we got that little French house and I’m in love. It’s beautiful!

What do you think? Isn’t it cute? The inside is fabulous although I’m a little stumped as to how to decorate. It’s not really my strong suite as I’ve never really had a house to do it to, so I might need some help.

First I thought I’d share a fun little update.

So we left for France Wednesday at 2 in the afternoon. My boys were tired because there was a little party the night before. I don’t mind tired, but they were past the ‘it’ll be fine’ kind of tired. It was more of a ‘my life is falling apart!!” kind of tired.

We had 5 suitcases, 3 carry ons, two kids, one momma, 3 flights and 3 countries. Phew! Needless to say it was a long journey!

The first flight, which was the longest — LAX to Amsterdam — was fine. The boys usually do okay. They have movies, they feed us, they can sleep. No major meltdowns or anything, the boys got a decent amount of sleep (I got none) and we made it to Amsterdam okay.

Our next flight was late. I already knew going into this flight that our following layover was really quick. Like 45 minutes quick. So a delay & a short layover aren’t a good mix. We get off the plane, Eli is a hot mess because he’s so tired & just “wants to hold daddy” and we’re trying to run though the airport. I think many years down the road I’ll look back and laugh at a lot of these experiences. Heck, who am I kidding, I laugh at them now! I do not, however, laugh at them when we’re in the middle of it.

So we arrive to the desk and the attendants say “You’re here for this flight? I’m sorry, too late.” Wwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaattt? I just ran through the airport with a crying child after already flight about 15 hours and you’re telling me I missed my flight?!

I lost it guys. I lost it. I started crying and there just wasn’t anything I could do. I couldn’t even talk to them because I couldn’t pull my shizz together. They poor guy at the counter was like “please, Madame, do not cry!”

It was a guy and a lady and for whatever reason (maybe my sobbing in the middle of the airport?) they decided to get to work. They got on the phones & computer and pushed a bunch of keys printed off some stuff and somehow they got me on that flight. I felt slightly ridiculous for having broken down so easily. “Oh hehehe, whoops! I’m okay now, thank you!”

We finally arrived in Nantes, the biggest airport closest to where we are living. I was soooo tired. Once again Eli cried the whole way from the plane to the luggage pick up. Lucky for me, Daddy was at the pick up waiting. Actually, he walked up about a minute after we had been there, if that. I was soooo ready to be sooooo mad he wasn’t standing there with open arms waiting as I walked off. But I cooled off a bit seeing as I still had to wait for me luggage.

Which never came. FIVE bags and not one of them got through. We arrived yesterday and they’re still not here. I am wearing the same leggings I traveled in, no underwear (TMI?), and my husband’s shirt. We had clothes in the carry on for the boys & even for my husband, just not me. You would think after all the traveling I have done I would learn to at least pack an extra pair of panties or something. But alas, this has never happened to me, so I guess you live and learn!

So here’s where you get a chance to offer a piece of advice. I love my little house, it’s adorable with a great backyard. It is white with blue shutters and is open and spacious inside. This is a lot to say for a French home. I have never spent time decorating a home/apartment because we have never lived somewhere longer than 9 months. This time we will be in this house for 2 years! I want to make it pretty & homey without spending a ton of money.

It’s messy — keep in mind I just got here & am still jet lagged. So what do you think? What would you do? Would you move the couches? Get rid of that chair in the corner? I want to put an office space/area in & I was thinking between the French doors & the window.

IMG_3557

And yes. There are absolutely no shelves in the kitchen. Or a pantry. I am gonna have to get creative this year!

IMG_3558

Oh and the sofas smell like cigarette smoke & make me feel sick. Someone please tell me how to make them smell better!!

8 Responses to My Whirlwind Life

1. Stephanie August 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

So crazy. That house is so cute however! And two years its yours that’s awesome. I have never traveled that far with kids but I totally would have melted down as well. Thanks for sharing your life with us!

• Natalia September 3, 2013 at 1:34 am #

Thank you! And yes, I think the meltdown was inevitable. Although I think I have made it before without one. But not when you have to take 3 different planes, that just puts me overboard! Thanks for your comment!

2. Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims August 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

I’ve been to that nantes airport!!!! 🙂 sad you had a rough journey but at least you are there now!!! 🙂

• Natalia September 3, 2013 at 1:30 am #

What was the city you lived in again? I love our city even though it’s small. The school my boys are at is perfect so far, I’m so excited! Yes, we’re so glad we’re here for sure. If you ever wanted to make a trip back, you’re welcome! 🙂

3. Katie Pidge September 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

AHHHHH!! This makes me smile! I’m sorry but the whole thing of you packing clothes for everyone else but not you is so a mom thing 🙂 I was laughing reading this because I could totally picture me in this situation just balling my eyes out. LOVE the new house! It looks like pinterest will be your new best friend and lots of crafts are on the way. Miss you!

• Natalia September 4, 2013 at 3:15 am #

Oh my gosh, I’ve already been searching pinterest for ideas! I need all the help I can get for sure! It has so much potential, I hope I do it justice! And even though those stories sound bad, I don’t mind because later I can laugh. And I have all these crazy memories of doing these crazy things and that’s funny! I wonder how much the boys will remember!

4. Sheila September 15, 2013 at 6:51 am #

Natalia,
    Moving into a new home is both exciting and lot of work! I made an international move from Canada to the USA a few few years ago and I am still fine tuning my space – it truly is a never ending work in progress 🙂
    A couple of years ago on a cruise vacation I visited France briefly & just loved it – I didn’t want to leave!
    Your new place looks so cute & will be absolutely charming once you put your personal touches on it!
    To my eye, the TV wall is crying for some attention & could easily become the focal point of the room. You might consider some tower shelving/bookcases on each side of the TV topped with another shelf to connect the two creating a crowning bridge. You could place baskets, candles or plants etc along the top to fill up the top space & the shelving could be used for anything you wish to display or baskets to organize various family belongings. The space between the windows would be a great place for a small desk – but remember keeping furnishings to scale is important. The wood & earth tones of the room are naturally inviting & you could add a pop of color with some accessories. I would keep the window treatments simple so they don’t block out the wonderful natural light and throw rugs also add warmth to tile or hard floors. As you know, Pinterest is a great place for inspiration & I also like Better Homes & Gardens for good decorating tips & DIY projects http://www.bhg.com/decorating/
    Good luck…I am looking forward to seeing your home makeover reveal! 🙂

P.S. Canada is bilingual, but even after several years of school french class I still cannot speak the language – how has that worked out for you?

• Natalia September 15, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Wow, thank you so much for all this! This is a ton of good info, I will definitely refer back to it! France is such an amazing, beautiful country. I love it here. It will always have a special place in my heart even when we’re done playing overseas. I am conversational but not fluent. As you know, it’s a difficult language! And we’ve been here on and off for 6 years now, but always long breaks in between & that hurts any momentum you might gain living the language, you know? But I am hoping this year to make some more progress and make it easier on me. Hopefully I can! Thanks again for your comment, I am excited to make some changes around my house!