Easy Faux-Hawk Tutorial

So if you follow me on Instagram or saw my post the other day, you might have noticed that I found a new hairstyle (for me) and I love it. It’s easy, perfect for dirty hair — which mine is most of the time — and cute! I’m not sure how these have been done before, but I’m pretty sure this is pretty easy. Hope you think so too!

faux-hawk

Like I mentioned, this style is perfect for a couple day old hair. I don’t wash my hair very often so I’m always trying to find ways to style it without having to have it perfectly clean. For this style, I hadn’t really done much else to it, I had just let it air dry.

faux hawk back

As far as products go, you really don’t need to many. Obviously you don’t really need a root pump since you’re tying it down. You could use some volumizing spray like this one (my personal favorite) or this for a less expensive version. I use both and like them both. You can also use a dry shampoo and the one I have been the most happy with has been Big Sexy Hair dry shampoo.

faux hawk side

Other than those products, all you need is some small hair ties, bobby pins and hairspray. That’s it! Start at the top by creating a small pompador toward the front the way you want it. Then for the first part of the faux-hawk part start it at the height you want it. You’re going to create 4 messy buns (or for short hair) down the back. Then you just pin away until it’s even and the way you want it to look and you’re done. It’s that easy!

fauxhawk side

So this is now a new favorite of mine! I’ve already worn it a couple of times. I feel funky & cute and it’s really practical which might be my favorite part. I made a video for you to see how it’s done. If you like it you can check out my YouTube channel & even subscribe for more videos!

So what do you think — is this a style you would try?

Have a great weekend!

Linking up to the linky parties here 🙂

19 Responses to Easy Faux-Hawk Tutorial

1. amy August 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

First of all, let me just say, you have GORGEOUS hair! I saw the picture in the post and knew I needed to fix my hair like this today. I grabbed my bobby pins and sat at my computer with a mirror and did it! SUPER easy! Great way to “hide” my split ends. Going to get a cut and color in 2 weeks so this is perfect to ride out the rest of summer. My little boys LOVE my “faux hawk” too!

• Natalia August 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Oh I love it! I love that you tried it and it was easy – it’s so fun to hear this! My boys thought I was super cool too! It’s a good way to win points with them!

2. Tanya August 30, 2013 at 8:00 am #

I just tried this and I absolutely love it! Cheers for the great idea!

• Natalia August 30, 2013 at 11:19 am #

So glad you liked it & it worked for you! I love hearing success stories! 🙂

• Tanya September 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Any tips on dismantling this style? I’ve worn it this way twice now but unfortunately both times resulted in very badly knotted hair and elastics! May have lost a huge chunk of hair haha.. and had to cut elastics out. Maybe I’m doing the buns TOO messy? I love this style but do need to find a better way to undo it afterwards!

3. P. September 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

hay, love your tutorial. 🙂 looking forvard to try this look.:)

• Natalia September 8, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Glad you like it! I’m sure it will look fabulous on you! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

4. Gosia September 8, 2013 at 7:04 am #

So cute! I would love to try it, hope I can make it…
    Gosia | Kiddie Foodies

• Natalia September 9, 2013 at 11:08 am #

I’m sure you can! Go for it!! It’s really easy, so I’m sure you’ll be fine. Hope it works!

5. Ashley September 11, 2013 at 7:21 am #

I saw your link on the Trendy Treehouse Linky party and had to look!! I will for sure be following you! I love blogs like yours…welllll basically anything that has awesome hair ideas I try to keep up with!! Thank you for putting your ideas out there!! Awesome tutorial as well!

Thank you for sharing!!

~ Ashley / gritstheblog.blogspot.com

• Natalia September 11, 2013 at 11:22 am #

So glad you like it, thank you! I love doing hair and have some great ideas coming for them so stay tuned! Nice to meet you!

6. Sumo September 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

I love this! I can’t wait to try this on myself and my daughter! I like wearing my hair up, but am getting tired of my usual hairstyles, so this will be a fun alternative! I’ll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

Thanks for linking up to the Block Party!
    Sumo:)

• Natalia September 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

I feel the same way, which is why I like to create hair tutorials like this! Thank you so much for featuring! I appreciate it!

7. Selina Torres September 18, 2013 at 7:02 am #

This is EXACTLY the look I needed for Halloween! Not to mention, it’s great for a ton of other situations too. Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!

• Natalia September 18, 2013 at 11:29 am #

So glad I could help! It’s a fun one for sure!

8. Deanna S. August 16, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

Oooh – thanks!

I just stumbled across this tutorial and am rocking it now! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

• Natalia August 17, 2015 at 1:32 pm #

So glad you love it! It’s a fun one, isn’t it?

1. 10 Cute Little Girl Hairstyles | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - August 11, 2014

[…] when it’s so hot. And in California, fall included since it’s hot then too! I have a tutorial for this look that I did on my own hair. It’s basically 4 messy buns pinned together to form a […]