Back to Basics Hair Tips: How to Use Bobby Pins

So hairstyles seem to be a popular thing in the blogosphere, don’t they? Which works for me because I actually enjoy trying to do my hair and finding new styles & trying new things. And it seems to be helpful to some people.

However, some people have requested simple tutorials, like the bare minimum kind. So I started thinking that it would be fun to do a little series called Back to Basics: Hair Tips. I could maybe venture into makeup too, but now I’m starting with hair.

So what a better way to start than how to use a bobby pin. It seems easy, and it is, you just have to get the hang of it. That’s what I’m here for today! And for those of you who have already got this down, no worries! I included a couple simple hairstyles in the video. Including the braided bangs that is so popular on Pinterest.

back to basics how to use bobby pins

How to use bobby pins so no one knows they’re there! Here the video for you:

The only reason the video is long is because I wanted to include some styles that go with bobby pinning. Of course, most styles do, but these are 3 simple styles: the braided bangs, hippie twists (like Christie’s), and side-swept hairstyle. Here are some pictures of the last style because I like it. 🙂

easy sideswept hairstyle

This style can be worn with long and short hair, curly or straight, you name it. It’s easy, it’s versatile, & it’s really pretty! I hope you like it!

easy sideswept hair

See how the side is tucked behind your ear but you can’t see the bobby pins – genius, right? That’s what I’m trying to show you in the video. I hope it comes across clear, but as always, any questions, ask away!

side view sideswept

So now it’s your turn! First of all, was that video helpful at all? Or are you like “oh my gosh girl, who doesn’t know how to use a bobby pin?”

And second – what else would you like to see in the ‘back to basics’ category? I would love to hear your suggestions! Comment here or come visit me on Facebook or Twitter, I love connecting with you guys!

Have a great Thursday!

63 Responses to Back to Basics Hair Tips: How to Use Bobby Pins

1. Theresa June 20, 2013 at 4:20 am #

I cant see the video…It may just be operator error but wanted to let you know 🙂
    GREAT idea too, I think everyone would find this helpful and fun

2. J June 20, 2013 at 7:27 am #

I actually love stuff like this! I feel like tutorials often take certain things for granted. I would LOVE some basic makeup tips. Like, I feel totally lost there, and makeup tutorials just seem overwhelming and confusing. You’re gorgeous and I love your blog!

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thank you so much!! I actually want to do some back to basics makeup tutorials too. Maybe eyeliner? Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Jessica F. June 20, 2013 at 7:51 am #

I don’t see a video they are all pictures to pin??

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Sorry! It wasn’t there! I went to bed before it was loaded and forgot that I had scheduled the post. My fault! It’s there now if you’d like to check it out!

4. AlyssaW. June 20, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Hmmm. I need to see this video since my slick, straight hair never seems to hold a bobby pin! Yet…I can’t actually find the video link? Just white space between the paragraphs. Perhpas you haven’t added it yet?

Looking forward to seeing it though.

xo,
    Alyssa

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 10:05 am #

You know what, I went to bed while the video was loading and forgot to add it! Sorry! But it’s up now if you want to check it out! Hope it helps!

5. Agi June 20, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Great tutorial. This is something that even with shorter hair I could do. Love it.

Stop by and link up. Pls show me some love in Wallis’ Facebook Summer Style contest: http://bit.ly/14bI4mp. You can vote once every hour. Thank you 🙂

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I linked up, thanks for letting me know!

6. JulieS June 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

I have naturally curly/frizzy hair and I’m having trouble getting the curls to come out naturally. Trying different hair gels doesn’t seem to be helping.

Could you share a “back to basics” on encouraging the curl in naturally curly hair? What products (that aren’t ridiculously expensive)?

Also, since I have curly hair, if I want it to be straight, I need to blow it dry with a big round brush. I’m pretty adept at that, but I’d love to see your tutorial on that, too!

thanks for the series. I could tell from your other tutorials that you were doing something funky w/ your bobby pins, but I wasn’t sure what it was. This is helpful! You’ve inspired me to more “up-dos!”

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Hi Julie!

I have a tutorial on styling curly hair here: http://manouvellemode.com/2013/02/28/14-tips-for-styling-curly-hair/ It doesn’t have a ton of products mentioned in it, I’m gonna have to do some more research on that.

I actually am planning on doing a blow dry tutorial. I love to blow dry hair, so it should be fun!

Glad you’re liking the series! Thanks for your comment!

7. Debbie @ Deliciously inspired June 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Thank you, Natalia. I really appreciate the info on bobby pins and the three styles.
    Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired

• Natalia June 20, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Glad you liked it Debbie! Thanks!

8. Amanda D June 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

I love this idea! a good foundation is necessary for the more advanced hairstyles.

As far as suggestions go…anything works really..but maybe the basics of using hair products like dry shampoo or how to tease your hair properly??

• Natalia June 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

That’s perfect, I’m doing that next week! Thanks for your comment!

9. Sherry June 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

Natalia! Your hair is gorgeous! Love this tutorial, I didn’t have a clue how to use bobby pins so this was quite helpful. Have a great weekend!

• Natalia June 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Glad you found it helpful!! Thanks for the comment!

10. Whitney June 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

no one has ever showed how to use a bobby pin like that before – thanks! i am still trying to get the hang of it, my hair is really thin, but curly, so it’s like the pin doesn’t have enough hair to grip after i twist it and try to pin it down? i am always up for more thin hair tutorials – or how about up-do’s that fit under a motorcycle helmet?! i’m tired of the ponytail 🙂 (i ride a scooter around town) anyway thanks for sharing the knowledge!

• Natalia June 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

I am so glad you like it! You can try teasing the hair a little bit before you pin & that might help them stay better (tutorial coming this week!). hairstyles for under a ponytail… hmm. I used to ride with my dad and it always got so messy & dirty with a helmet! Maybe some braids? Good luck with that!

11. Pomereta June 27, 2013 at 4:19 am #

Thanks for this post+video, I’m total disaster when it comes to my hair (ponytail=best friend), just realized that didn’t know how to use bobby pins correctly…ups!

• Natalia June 28, 2013 at 11:11 am #

So glad you like it! Hopefully this series will be helpful 🙂

12. Aleksandra June 30, 2013 at 3:05 am #

And I thought that there`s nothing to know about puting bobby pins 🙂 Great advice and ideas. Expecially with the bun – I immediately managed to do that! Thanks a lot!

• Natalia July 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

So glad you liked it! thank you!

13. Jen G. July 1, 2013 at 4:30 am #

Thanks so much for this video! I never knew you were supposed to use bobby pins that way. I am gonna try this morning when I do my hair. Thanks again!

• Natalia July 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

So glad you liked it! Thank you so much!

14. Jen July 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I love this video! Thank you so much! Just so you know, i enjoy following your blog. Happy Friday 🙂

• Natalia July 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Thank you so much for letting me know! I am so glad you like it. More coming soon!

15. Cami July 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks for this helpful video tutorial! I’m pretty clueless about stuff like this and it was really helpful. Now I’m inspired to try some new hairstyles. 🙂

• Natalia July 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Oh I’m so glad! That’s definitely what I’m trying to do! Inspire others to try new things as well!

16. Maggie July 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Thank you! This was helpful. Just one question though. I feel like every time I try to open the bobby pin, it gets crooked. I know it happens sometimes but it seems like it’s constantly. Am I doing something wrong or is it because they’re fairly cheap? Thanks!

• Natalia July 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Honestly, it could be the bobby pins. I have bought some before that I couldn’t get to go straight for the life of me. When I purchased others it worked out. Maybe try a different brand?

17. daPerley August 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Oh, how can your hair be so easy to work with?? Mine never are, when I was were younger it was just too tick and now when it’s a little thinner it like just sliding through everything (hair bands, hairclips and so on, most often I just take a few steps and then everything falls, the clips is on the same spot but my hair is down…). But at the same time it’s impossible to make a nice braid because of the hair getting “stuck” to it self even if it’s new cut, drowned in conditioner and so on, just getting crazy at it! Ponytails, straight, buns, you name it my hair makes everything look like crap. :/

• Natalia August 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

Have you tried using product in your hair? Maybe something that makes it less slippery, like a blow dry gel or a sea salt spray? That could help! Either way, I’m sure it’s beautiful!

18. Heather Harwood August 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

You did great!! I have really thin hair and love the hairstyles I see on pinterest and on shows like pretty little liars, but I’ve always been intimidated to try it and never knew the right ways. This video for instance taught me how to do the simplest thing the best way. You have inspired me to try more things with my hair to spice up my look. thank you so much!!!!

• Natalia August 15, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Oh I am so glad! I am so glad it’s helpful! And this one is perfect because it’s a base for so many other styles! Thanks for leaving a comment, I always love hearing from people!

19. Lani August 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks the lesson on pinning and the different styles. I have long thick hair with natural waves will help me try your tips. You have a beautiful face for all the different styles shown.

• Natalia August 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Thank you, you’re so kind! I am glad you liked the tutorial! 🙂

20. Jen August 17, 2013 at 8:13 am #

I appreciate this kind of “back to basics” tutorial! How about one on the best method of backcombing hair? Or the best way to use those U-shaped bobby pins? For makeup, how about one on how to use concealer — does it go under foundation? over it? that still seems a mystery to me!

You have lovely hair, and I have really enjoyed your other hair tutorials!

21. anu September 13, 2013 at 5:09 am #

great post………….

22. just_b March 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

Dear Natalia, thank you so much for doing this tutorial! I have so no idea how to do anything with my hair that any style seemed like out of reach. Now that I saw you nailing it down in detail I will at least give it one more try. Thank you and greetings from Berlin!

• Natalia March 27, 2014 at 2:12 am #

Oh I am so glad you liked it!! It makes me happy to see that it was useful for sure. I am going to do a basic hair tutorials starting in June I think covering a lot of basics! Hope you’ll like it!

23. Sarah May 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm #

I’ve used some of your styles in the 13 ways to wear your bangs section. This was the first video I watched or yours and I love it. You are seriously cute and I love your energy. I will definitely be checking out the rest of your how-to’s. I grew up with a mom who knew how to do a ponytail. That’s it. I used to be very frustrated by my hair, but thanks to the internet and some lovely people like you who are kind enough to share your tips, I’ve found a few styles that work with my crazy hair. I look forward to finding more on your site. Thank you so much and please keep it up.

• Natalia May 30, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and let me know, I really appreciate it! Glad you like it and I’m going to do my best to keep it up! 🙂

24. manoj August 24, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

hi,
    i have got long hair too my hair keeps falling on to my eyes& face is it okay if i use a couple of bobbypins to keep my hair of my face & eyes i am a male and i do tie up my hair in a bun and sometimes i tie it up in a pigtail

• Natalia September 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

I think it’s totally fine!

25. Courtney November 28, 2014 at 11:49 am #

I loved this. I consider myself hair retarded lol my sister is a hair stylist and yet I only know 3 hair styles which are point tail, hair clippy and straight. I’m going to try the side twist one today. My hair is super fine so I hope it holds so wish me luck.

• Natalia December 3, 2014 at 12:24 am #

If your hair is super fine you can always use some dry shampoo or hairspray with a little tease before you put the bobby pin in. That will help it hold! Good luck! 🙂

26. Min December 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

whoa! I’ve been doing it wrong all this time! THANKS!

27. Annie April 4, 2015 at 6:00 am #

Im not that clear. In the first style, from which side do u take the pin? Im just confused :/

• Natalia June 4, 2015 at 3:33 pm #

You grab the hair in the bobby pin, twist it up and over and push the pin down. I hope that makes sense! 🙂

28. Fran April 19, 2016 at 8:02 am #

I love braids! Unfortunately I was never brave enough to do most hairstyles. Now I’m ‘old’ and only want to please myself lol! So my question is, is 63 too old to do these braids? My bangs are as long as my hair, and my hair is long-about to my shoulder blades. I’ve let my hair grow in gray, so far it’s about 50%gray, and so a fair amount of brown.

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 9:49 am #

No way! Never too old! Where your hair how you want. And I think these braids would look pretty!

1. 13 Different ways to wear your bangs | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 20, 2013

[…] volume. I’ve had some people ask for this in a video – I’ve included it in this how to use bobby pin video. Hope it […]

2. Back to Basics: The Hair Tease | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 29, 2013

[…] started a little series last week called Back to Basics. I started with showing you my bobby pin technique. I also showed you a few styles in the video including the braided bouffant. The idea of this is to […]

3. Back to Basics: Hair Products that work! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - September 12, 2013

[…] want your bobby pins to stay? Tease the section you’re pinning […]

4. Simple Side French Braid | Ma Nouvelle Mode - October 11, 2013

[…] have done a few tutorials in my ‘Back to Basics’ series like how to bobby pin and how to tease your hair. I have many more up my sleeve and I am excited to share them with you. […]

5. Easy 4 step side ponytailMa Nouvelle Mode - March 2, 2014

[…] Take the top middle section and poof up and twist. Secure with a bobby pin. (Here’s my tutorial on how to use bobby pins) […]

6. 10 Quick Hairstyles For Short Hair - Aryable - May 22, 2016