Parenting & Potty Training

This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and GoodNites, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #BetterNights  http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO.

So last week I shared in a little video some insight, or just some general thoughts, on the ever elusive idea of balance as a parent, more so as a momma. It’s tough, isn’t it? I decided I wanted to write a little more about parenting and the funny, hard things that come with it in hopes to create a community of moms who come together & share with each other and most importantly support each other. The last thing we need is someone telling us some other way we need to do things. We’re giving it our best shot, gosh darnit!

So today the topic is potty training. Well, potty training in general but for me more specifically night-time training. If you follow me on Facebook, you might have seen a little while back I asked what moms do to help their kids sleep through the night without an accident.

I never knew that this was an issue. I went into parenting pretty clueless so each stage is absolutely new to me. I just assumed that you just did it, you just stopped. And I guess that is true, from most of the opinions I’ve gotten, parents are telling me that their kids just stopped. However it’s older than I thought and takes a little more effort.

We potty trained our boys really early. Honestly, I just hated diapers. I hated changing them, I hated the smell of the diaper genie or whatever that is, and all the mess & expense that goes with it. So I got it done early.

There still is the thought of night training. This is tough because how do you ‘train’ your kids to wake up when they have to use the restroom? My son sleep so hard, which is actually a beautiful thing, but it makes it tough to wake up during the night.

Then, through the wonderful world of Facebook and your amazing suggestions, I heard of these bed mats. GoodNites Disposable Bed Mats. Believe it or not, before posting on Facebook, I had never heard of them.

goodnites

So we tried it out. It’s a beautiful thing. It’s easy to change out if necessary, it’s non-intrusive, and the kids don’t feel embarrassed at all because they don’t have to wear a diaper. It’s a win-win for everyone! As you can see in the picture below, it just sticks on the sheets. You can also put it under the sheets, which I know would defeat the purpose, you’d still have to wash the sheets, but it’d be perfect for a slumber party or something, so they’re not embarrassed but still protected.

goonites bed mats

My little guy on the other hand, well, he’s 3 and still needs a diaper most of the time but absolutely hates it. He hates it because he wants to be big like his brother. I’m not ready to let him just use the mats, but GoodNites also have bedtime underwear. This is perfect for the E-man because, well, it has cool pictures on it and Eli’s really that easy.

IMG_2136

The tips I have to go off of and will be using for my kids are:

• GoodNites Bed Mats
  • Stopping water/drinks at dinner, around 5
  • Potty right before bed
  • Maybe even wake him up at night to take him, if we need to

So tell me – what do you do to help your kids sleep through the night dry? I heard some great stories/suggestions last time around, it was so helpful!! So leave yours in the comments, I read them all!

14 Responses to Parenting & Potty Training

1. Agi June 17, 2013 at 8:35 am #

I have a friend and her son is the same way. Some kids bladders are weaker than others. I’ve been very fortunate with my son, he is 4 and sleeps through the night in his underwear without an accident. But he also didn’t potty train, completely, until he was 3.5 years old. We only recently switched to his underwear from pull ups at night, at his request. Have you tried waking him up before you go to bed and putting him on the toilet? I’ve heard about that technique from other moms and they say it works. We haven’t had to do that with my son, but try it. Don’t worry, every child is different and their bladders mature at different rates. Glad those mats are helping. Good luck.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 11:27 am #

We have tried waking him at night, but now he sleeps in a bunk bed so it’s more of a hassle. I guess we still could, it’s just a little harder. I also need to watch when we give him his last liquids at night, I’m sure that would help, we just get off track. It’s such a process!!

2. Beth June 17, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Have this problem a lot with my little girl-she’s five. We found those mats they use in the hospital. They’re washable (they’re about 2 ft by 2ft.) and you can find them at places like Walmart and just about anywhere that stocks medical equipment (like walgreen’s and CVS) We bought two and switch em out at night when she wets. Nice because they’re reusable and they’re fabric with sort of a nylon/soft plastic-ish backing and therefore comfortable for her.

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 11:25 am #

That’s a great suggestion! Thank you for sharing, I might look into that!

• Celina June 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

I also use those for my kids. Much more cost effective than the disposable kind! My kids are 7,5,3, and 11 mos. My oldest wet the bed until she turned 6.5 and then she said she wanted to try to not use a diaper. She was ready and now we can go for weeks without an accident. My 5 and 3 year old also still use diapers for bed. 5 year old is now asking to “try” to not use a diaper. Sometimes she stays dry all night and sometimes not.

I had a really hard time dealing with this because I thought I had done something wrong. I would get so frustrated at the amount of laundry I had to do etc. Once I calmed down and just let it be my oldest came around:)

Keep on keepin’ on:)

• Natalia June 18, 2013 at 7:06 am #

Thank you!! It’s encouraging to know I’m not the only one, for sure. I am going to start trying all these things. Thanks for sharing your story!

3. Angelina-JoJo and Eloise June 17, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Such great and informative post. It’s amazing how potty training can be so different with every child. We have had those who have done it all on there own and those that actually needed to go through the training program. Thanks for sharing your story with us and an Awesome product 🙂
    xoxo

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Totally! My little guy hasn’t had nearly the same problems, although he still wears a diaper at night. Every kid is different and working with them is what matters I guess! Thanks for your comment!

4. eva June 17, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Hi Natalia,
    I wirk in a group Home die kids and One if gehe Kids (8 yrs old) was wetting his bed at night as well. Of course the reason for enuresis is usualy psychological in my workfield for the kids are dealing with different traumas BUT we applied some easy methods and they worked really well
    1) we supported small successes, so each time the bed was dry in the am, he got a little sticker (a Sun) that we put in a plan, it sounds like nothing but he was so proud each time he got a sun
    2)we trained his bladder, meaning he had to drink a set amount of water(2 viel each meal)and we sent him to the bathroom on a regular basis. The last time he drank was around 6pm
    3) we worked with an alarm that went off as soon as a drop of liquid touched his underwear and that worked right away!
    He hasnt wetted his bed in months now and i think it was the combination of our methods that helped him train his bladder

Maybe my insights can help you and Tae a little bit and let me know if u need more info, i def have more up my sleeve 🙂

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

These sound great, thank you for all the ideas! I haven’t done a sticker or reward system yet because I wasn’t sure it could help. But if you combine them all, maybe it will! I have heard about the alarm thing, I’ll have to try that one too. Thank you so much for your insight!

5. eva June 17, 2013 at 10:54 am #

I just noticed a bunch of mistakes-dang u auto correct. Sorry!!!

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Happens to me all the time! No worries!

6. Chelsea June 17, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

I know how you feel. Bryson, our 7 year old, still has accidents. At least once or twice a week. I feel the same way…what are we doing wrong?? But he is the same way. He sleeps hard! We try to wake him up before we go to bed and he is terrible to try and wake.

• Natalia June 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

That’s what I love about blogging. It’s scary putting things out there a little bit, but so comforting when you hear you’re not alone! Other parents are going through the same things! Thanks for taking the time to comment, it’s encouraging!