Parenting – The Good, Bad, Ugly, & all the Beautiful Inbetween

Parenting.

*Sigh*

Isn’t it a hard job? You’ve got these little people entrusted to your care & you have to do you best to keep them alive, let alone train them up to be good people.

But isn’t it beautiful? That even after a long night of no sleep, or attitude issues, or discipline issues you love them more than you thought you would. Not only that, but more than you thought you were capable of loving.

Did you ever think you’d be that mama bear that will go crazy to protect their babies? Well, I didn’t either, but don’t you dare talk bad about my babies because you’ll see that bear come out and trust me, it’s not pretty!

So even though I write a lot about beauty and fashion and all that jazz, I wanted to switch it up a bit. I wanted to write a little bit about parenting.

Because it’s hard. And we all do it differently. But the thing about that is, we could all probably learn a thing or two from each other. I know I’ve learned from just reading comments on my posts!

parenting2

I wanted to share in hopes that you will all share too. We can make this a lovely community of women who share their ups and downs and ultimately support each other.

There will be no negativity or tearing down in this community! We all do the best we can with what we know how & have no place in judging others ways & choices. Although I’m sure we’ve all been there. Let’s keep this particular place nice and helpful and uplifting.

I made a little video about the first parenting topic I chose: Balance. Why balance? Because it’s hard. And I’m pretty sure we all struggle with it. If you don’t, leave every.single.one. of your tips in the comments, because this mama needs it!

There are my thoughts on balance. Life is one big, beautiful journey we’re on and no one’s perfect. So let’s take the ups with the downs and embrace every part of it.

I would absolutely LOVE to hear your thoughts on balance. Do you have any tricks? What does your family do for balance in your home? Any advice for the summer months coming up? Share your thoughts here & let’s encourage each other!!

Have a great Monday!

7 Responses to Parenting – The Good, Bad, Ugly, & all the Beautiful Inbetween

1. Agi June 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Great post. It’s hard to find balance, especially now that I’m blogging. It was hard at first after my son was born. I didn’t ever expect it to be so hard. I didn’t take any me time and I paid the price. Since then my husband and I have both learned that we need some time to ourselves. I joined a mom group bookclub. I go to bootcamp once a week. My husband bathes my son. I also go out for dinner with girlfriends. Sometimes though I still don’t think it’s enough. I’ve definitely felt lately like I’m on empty and I really need a refill. I think it’s constant hard work to find balance.

The biggest thing is to give each other space and some time to heal and rejuvenate.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

• Natalia June 11, 2013 at 10:42 am #

I totally agree! It is hard. The whole reason I started this blog in the first place was because I needed more time for me. I was starting to lose myself and that’s just not who I am! I think it’s good to always be searching for balance, because we’ll probably land somewhere in the middle! Thanks for your comment!

2. Kassi June 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Hi, Natalia. I am blog stalking you tonight! 🙂 I own my own business, and I am also a very passionate, one track mind, perfectionist, type A girl, who also has a creative streak which results in constant mess and chaos. Lol. It is very easy to get LOST in one project and kind of, um, forget that I have children. Or that they need food. Or to go potty. Oops.
    I personally think it is WONDERFUL for children to learn to entertain themselves and sometimes figure things out and work out problems on their own. I am learning to let go of my control issues and ALLOW them to mess up, spill stuff, fight and argue, and then we fix it, clean up, and talk about what we learned.
    I have also found that it creates strong heart ties to live life together. My three year old knows her colors because she helps me sort laundry. My two year old can cut out biscuits because he cooks with me. They help Daddy carry in groceries. Sometimes it’s easier to just tell them to go play, but if I take a few extra minutes with them, not only are we building relationship, they are also learning a new skill, building confidence, and in the long run, it helps me because when we are rushing to get to church, I know they can both get dressed by themselves because we took an extra ten minutes on Thursday to learn how to buckle sandals and put on pants! It goes the other way, too. They live some of my life with me, and I take time out of my day to live their lives with them, 15 minutes to jump on the trampoline (Who needs to work out with two little kids?!), 10 minutes to visit the play house, 5 minutes to sing This Little Light of Mine.
    I SO don’t have it figured out, and I know in 10 years I’ll look back and say, “What was I thinking?!”, but my mom (who has raised six fairly well adjusted children) told me a few weeks ago, “There are lots of parenting theories and philosophies out there. And I don’t know that spanking is better than time out or if you should start your babies on fruits or veggies, but Ithink that what really matter is that you’re doing SOMETHING, that you’re loving your kids the best you can. Kids are resilient and can bounce back easily if you scheduled too many activities or let them cry too long before picking them up a few times, as long as the parents are present, involved, and tell their kids they love them.” This was a huge encouragement to me, and I hope it helps you, too!
    Your boys are absolutely ADORABLE by the way!

• Natalia June 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Yes, yes, yes, and YES! I totally agree! This is exactly what I’m talking about! And I whole-heartedly agree with your mom. There is no 100% guaranteed right way to do things. We’re all gonna mess up. I think what is important, like your mom said, is to be present & love them & do the best with what you have. My biggest prayer is that the Lord will cover my mistakes and use them to sculpt my boys to be the men He wants them to be. Every kid will have some sort of parent issue because it’s imperfect people raising imperfect children. It’s just important to know it’s a journey and our kids will work out their imporfections & their sins in their own time with god personally. We can’t teach them everything once and expect it to be learned. One of the hardest things for me is knowing that my kids will experience hurt & pain to learn lessons and I will just have to watch. I can’t, nor should I, keep them from it.

Anyway, now I’m getting preachy!! I totally agree with your comment and thank you so much for taking the time to post it. I love the way you are raising your kids, it’s sounds wonderful! All we can do is give our best and when we fail get up and try it again!!

3. Kassi June 14, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

Hahaha, here I go again. Best parenting advice ever, “The best thing parents can do for their children is to love each other.” Paraphrased from Debi Pearl’s, “Created to be a Help Meet.”

• Natalia June 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Well, that’s good cuz I’m still crazy in love with my husband!! And I’m pretty sure my kids know it! “Eewww Mom, why do you have to kiss Dad!!” so funny!

1. Parenting & Potty Training | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 17, 2013

[…] last week I shared in a little video some insight, or just some general thoughts, on the ever elusive idea of balance as a parent, more so as a […]