Cheat Sheet: How to wear Jeans & Shoes

Growing up in Southern California, I did not give all that much thought to shoes. I basically lived in flip flops. But, let’s face it, flip flops are not exactly classy. Don’t get me wrong, I will NEVER buy into the idea that flip flops shouldn’t be worn….NEVER! It is a SoCal staple and eternally fashionable in my parts. But the time came where I had to grow a little and in the process I formed a love for shoes. Not the shoes themselves per se, but the darling effect they can have on a pair of jeans or pants. But don’t forget, the opposite can be true as well. The wrong shoes with the wrong pair of pants and a look can go from fashion to frumpy in the blink of an eye. So here is my “Very Basic” cheat sheet. This is certainly not “all encompassing,” but it is my favorite ways to pair pants and shoes!
Jeans & Shoes

I have to add that there are really not that many “rules” I hold to so there is a lot of mixing and matching you can do. However, I do personally feel there are a couple rules that are really important:

1. Don’t try to stuff your pseudo- skinnies into boots. Seriously, this will not achieve the look you are going for. It would be better not to tuck them in at all then to have a lot of bunching.

I know many women do not feel like they can pull of skinnies. I hear ya! But let me encourage you by saying, boots automatically undo the “pear shape” effect that skinnies can have. They will balance you out perfectly. So even if you just buy one pair a super skinnies dedicated to the days you want to wear jeans tucked into boots it will be worth it! ย (side note: if you dislike the way skinnies sit on your hips, wear it with a longer shirt or tunic. Super stylish and incredibly flattering)

2. Try not to wear flats with wide leg or flared/bell pants! This look brings me back to 7th grade when the GRUNGE look was in. That was when it was ok to have jeans 3 times too long for our legs and actually wanted the bottoms of them to get shredded and dirty…blah!

But honestly, too much material gathering up at your shoes is overwhelming and will, without a doubt make you look a little “squat.” ***There are rare exceptions to this rule. Usually when the pants/jeans are more fancy ย looking and a cute little shoe peeping out the bottoms is simply perfect. If you want to wear flats but don’t know what to do with your jeans try rolling them ย or “pegging” them. It’s always a cute option!

I’m no fashion expert! These are just tips and tricks I’ve picked up over the years that have helped me always feel a little more put together in this crazy mommy world I am living in ๐Ÿ™‚ Whether its the right shoes or the right necklace, my mommy uniform can always use a little pick me up!

Hey Readers! I am blogging over at A Beautiful Window now and would love for you to follow along. Find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!ย <3<3 xoxo Christie

19 Responses to Cheat Sheet: How to wear Jeans & Shoes

1. Kassi May 21, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Christi,
    Thanks so much! You’re genuinely one of the most adorable women I have ever met!

• Christie May 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Thank you Kassi! That really means a lot! Seriously!! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Leigh Anne May 21, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Great cheat sheet! I haven’t ventured into the booties or low boots, but I’d love to get some for fall. And I agree, flats w/ flared pants…..always makes ya’ look short ๐Ÿ™‚

• Christie May 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

Glad you liked it! I wasn’t sure i would like booties either, but once I got them they became some of my favs. Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Donna May 21, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Thanks, Christie. I just fixed my jeans to two rolls!

4. Tamara @ The Workout Mama May 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

This is great!!!!! I am always at a loss with what shoes to wear! Pinning this!

• Christie May 21, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Yay! So glad it was helpful!

5. Amanda D May 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

I love this, it’s so easy! these are definitely fashion rules I can follow. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I need to try the ‘pegged’ jean look. I’ve never heard that term before.

• Christie May 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

It’s just another fancy way of rolling the jeans ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s especially cute with boyfriend jeans or at least something a little baggier. Have fun!

6. Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired May 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Awesome info – Can you come dress me?

• Christie May 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

๐Ÿ˜‰ I would be honored!

7. Priscila May 24, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Great tips!!!! I’ll have to pin it!

8. Annika June 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

I will always have a soft spot for flares & flip flops. ๐Ÿ™‚ The tip on the the ankle boots is very helpful. But what about high and low top sneakers??

• Christie June 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

I was actually going to do another cheat sheet on only flats since this one didn’t cover most flat options like the ones you mentioned- maybe you could tell me your fav way to wear high top flat since I have yet to own any? And of course any true California girl will eventually wear flip flops and flares! ๐Ÿ˜‰ xoxo

9. Boyfriend Jeans for Women February 3, 2015 at 1:31 am #

Hello Christie,

This is the totally Awesome! topic. All of these jeans look great on you! Me on the other hand, cannot pull off boyfriend jeans. you are definitely rockin’ all of these!

Thanks for doing the hard work for us! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Which jeans? Which Shoes? | Diva's Closet Austin - September 20, 2013

[…] |Check out the site, explains all really! http://manouvellemode.com/2013/05/21/cheat-sheet-how-to-wear-jeans-shoes/ […]

2. Pairing Jeans and Shoes: A cheat sheet Via | Info Hq Dot Us - September 24, 2014

[…] Via […]

3. 25 Denim Hacks To Save Your Favorite Jeans | HelloNatural.co - September 2, 2015

[…] Keep a cheat sheet of how to wear jeans and shoesย and you’ll spend less time anxiously trying on different pairs in front of the […]