The Rope Braid

Jet lag is kicking my bootie. Like, I shed tears before 8:00 am this morning. Mainly because jet lag is kicking my 6-year-old’s butt and he doesn’t fully understand the need to rest. Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself. It’s so weird how it takes your body to adjust.

So anyway, a month or two ago I shared this lovely rope braid over at Rags to Stitches blog. So I thought I would now share it with you! It’s easy and perfect for second (or third) day hair. Which, in turn, is perfect for summer!

quick and easy rope braid

My hair is short-ish and the pictures below kind of walk you through how it’s done. It still can be done! If you have shorter hair than I do, you can try just doing the rope braid half way and wearing it half up or in a ponytail. It’s just a really pretty way to add little something to you hair!

Rope Braid Collage

And for those of you who like to learn visually, here is a video tutorial. I did this almost two years ago and I don’t know why I appear ticked off in the video. But the way it’s done is still the same, so disregard my attitude problem!

I hope you are all having a better day than I am! Now off to the gym to see if that can lift my spirits!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, ,

19 Responses to The Rope Braid

1. rosenny May 10, 2013 at 7:31 am #

love this! thank you so much!!

• Natalia May 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

So glad you like it! thank you!

2. Anvariel May 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Beautiful, however I even don’t suppose that I can do that by myself, no way :)

• Natalia May 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Oh I’m sure you could! It’s really easy, give it a shot!

• Anvariel May 14, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I will try, however my hair is really “difficult” and make any hairstyle is a challange.

• Natalia May 14, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Let me know if you need any tips or anything. I’ll help if I can!

3. Anvariel May 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

OK. Thank you :)

4. Sammy July 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

I love this hairdo!! Thanks for sharing. (=

• Natalia July 22, 2013 at 10:02 am #

So glad you love it, thanks!

5. Jenny August 19, 2013 at 9:49 am #

I love this hairstyle! My shoulder-length hair is just long enough to do this style, but I, too, have pretty thick hair that always slips out of bobby pins. That’s why I’ve always steered away from styles that require pins (which is a heck of a lot), but your hair type seems fairly similar to mine so I know there most be a way to do it because I’m tired of just blowing my hair out all the time! What kind of bobby pins do you use in your hair to get them to stay? I’ve also watched your basic how to use bobby pins video, but I’m still struggling to get my hair to stay. Am I trying to catch too much hair in the bobby pin? Is the angled side of the pin supposed to be tucked in or out? I know I’m probably over-thinking this.. Thanks for your help!

• Natalia August 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Hair is tough because everyone’s is different! But I totally understand this, you’re right it sounds like my hair is similar. A few things I would suggest: first of all products! I have found that once I started using products my hair was so much easier to work with. I have a post coming up with some of my favorites, but Big Sexy Hair blow dry volumizing gel or John Freida blow dry volumizing spray are both very good. The reason these help is to add a little more texture to your hair to make it less slippery. You can also try teasing it where you need to pin. Even if it’s just a simple back-comb really quick, anything would help! I hope this helps you a little! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Aletheia December 30, 2015 at 12:06 pm #

I know this is a year and a half old (oops), but if your hair doesn’t take to bobby pins, you may want to try hair pins, the old-fashioned kind. :) The ones I mean look like bobby pins that’ve been stretched out a bit (so that they form a , but they have the bumpy bits on both sides (rather than have the one smooth side like bobby pins) and tend to stay in hair better due to it. They work best when spearing the hair into a mass (like holding it in place in a braid or bun), rather than anchoring it to your scalp, I’ve found. :)

• Natalia January 4, 2016 at 10:42 am #

This is true! hair pins definitely have their place and I love using them too! Thanks for the tip!

6. Melissa February 14, 2014 at 1:35 am #

Having trouble. :/ my bangs go to about my cheekbones, so I suppose that’s what the trouble is.. It’s an adorable hairstyle though!

• Natalia February 14, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

Is it because your bangs won’t stay? Because if you use hair pins it might help. Mine always have hair sticking out but when I am done i tuck it in with the hair pins. Hope this helps!

1. Learnin' The Ropes: 6 Ways to Style a Rope Braid | Latest-Hairstyles.com - November 22, 2013

[…] at Ma Nouvelle Mode calls this rope hairstyle “quick and easy,” and based on how simple it was for us to […]

2. I wanna be like Gracey | Librarian for Life and Style - October 2, 2014

[…] hair, but on this day, I decided to try an old favorite, side rope braids twisted into mini-buns {here’s a good online tutorial for this hairstyle}. This kind of style really only works when my hair is wet, as my thin hair has very little […]

3. 25 Easy Hairstyles to Try - February 11, 2015