Thrifty Fashion Finds- A Quirky Skirt

Want to know what my new obsession is?? Thrift Stores.  Now I live in Southern California and there are some uh-mazing thrift stores in these parts (I will gladly take the wealthy, fashionable socialite’s cast offs!) But you know what? My little town doesn’t have any over the top, amazing thrift stores. Just normal people donating normal cast offs (nothing overly exciting about that). But my home town’s good will is exactly where I have been finding my most loved pieces! Here’s why:

1. I can cut them up and play around with them without feeling bad if I don’t quite “nail-it”
2. There is major freedom in getting an item and figuring out how to make it work instead of seeing an item in a catalog and feeling like it has to be worn a certain way
3. Its affordable! I can play around with my clothing budget a ton more. A great skirt from Anthropologie can look down right fabulous paired with a $3 blouse.

So let me walk you through my system: QuirkySkirtCollage

Sorry for the hard to read type, I will do better next time! When I saw the skirt, I immediately loved it. I held it up, guessed that it would probably fit, and bought it (yes that is how I shop, I rarely try anything on in the store). When I got it home I discovered that it fit pretty well, but the button right at the top of the zipper would not button (there is nothing more frustrating than a stubborn button!) I still loved the skirt and I know I have about 10lbs of baby weight to lose, so I did not blame the skirt for this mishap (sigh). However, once throwing a belt on, the problem was fixed! I decided I needed to wear heels to balance the length.

Details: Skirt- Thrifted, Lace & Mustard Tank- Target, Belt- ANGL, Shoes- Naturalizer

quirkyskirt2

So you see, despite my limited clothing budget I am determined to keep my style fresh and fun! I see no need to break the bank in order to feel excited about what to wear. Will you join me as I challenge myself to think outside the box? Shop at affordable thrift stores and have some fun! I would love to see your look! Email me and I will feature it next time! Until then…..

Hey Readers! I am blogging over at A Beautiful Window now and would love for you to follow along. Find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest! <3<3 xoxo Christie

12 Responses to Thrifty Fashion Finds- A Quirky Skirt

1. heidi April 9, 2013 at 3:56 am #

Ohhh, what a cute skirt. And it’s a great find. Hope you have a wonderfHeidi’s Wanderingsul day.

2. Breenah April 9, 2013 at 9:15 am #

I found an awesome skirt at Goodwill, or so I thought. I went to try it on and had to put it on over my head because there was no zipper. It fit and was cute and flowy so I bought it figuring I could add a zipper. I get home and realize it was a 3x blouse. I hadn’t noticed the sleeves before. There are no more sleeves and I’m going to buy a zipper later, so I’m pretty stoked. It was only $5!

• Christie April 9, 2013 at 9:19 am #

ok that is the best thrift store story ever! You MUST share the finished product with me! That is something I have to to see 🙂 Thrifting is so fun! lol

3. O Blog da Susy April 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

I like it, but in my opinion i like the skirts more shorter, by the knees.

O Blog da Susy
    O Blog da Susy no Facebook

• Christie April 9, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

For me it depends on the skirt. But right now I am more partial to maxi skirts or mini skirts. In this case, i think it works 🙂 Maybe its the vintage lover in me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

4. Debbie April 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I think you look amazing and I like the skirt just the length it is – it provides you coverage when bending down with small children so it’s pretty and practical.  Mamas should look pretty but they are still mamas who get down on a blanket and play with little ones.

• Christie April 14, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Agreed! 🙂 this is certainly gets my momma stamp of approval! Thanks for commenting 🙂

5. Pomereta April 16, 2013 at 2:31 am #

Wish I had your view when it comes to clothes, you have a really sexy style, love your vintage skirt!

1. Thrifty Fashion Finds- A nerdy floral Skirt | Ma Nouvelle Mode - May 13, 2013

[…] for under $40! And for more thrifting fun, check out another thrift store find I had fun with on Ma Nouvelle Mode. So you see, despite my limited clothing budget I am determined to keep my style fresh and fun! I […]

2. Thrift Store Find! Updating an Old Fashion Skirt - Somewhat Simple - September 5, 2013