Remixing your Closet – 7×7

When I started this blog about 2 years ago, I started it to sort of ‘get my grove back’ if you will. I know this doesn’t happen to every mom, but for me I had a hard time adjusting to having kids and remaining cute and taking care of myself. Writing almost daily here, trying new things and pushing myself in different ways has really made a huge difference.

Which is really why I write. To encourage other women that can kinda feel me. The thing is, I also don’t have a lot of clothes nor a huge clothing budget. So I don’t have a lot to work with.

Now I could sit here and feel sorry for myself that I’ll never be Sydney or Kendi or Wendy, but you know what? That’s okay. That’s not me, never will be, and I want to speak to the ‘normal’ mommas who actually have to wear an outfit more than once. Which is why I’ll never be a true fashion blogger.

So today I’m gonna show you my super small closet and new little ‘project’ I’m working on.

remixing your closet - making the most out of a small wardrobe

That’s it people. That’s my closet. I have another small section where I put my jeans/pants and that is all. Slightly embarrassing but real. Oh and the part I covered up at the top to the right, that’s my husband’s stuff. We have to share an already small closet.

You might have heard of Kendi from Kendi’s Everyday little project of choosing 30 pieces of clothing and wearing them for 30 days in a bunch of different ways. The challenge is that you can’t shop during that time either. However, I have a very short attention span. I’m already behind on my Instagram photo a day challenge and it’s only the 8th.

So I’m changing it up a bit. I took 7 pieces and wore them 7 different ways throughout the week. It is such a great challenge! It made me look at my clothes differently. It challenged me to create outfits I might not have put together otherwise.

Here’s the pieces I chose this week:
remixing your closet 7 pieces 7 ways

Now most of my pieces I buy in Europe so I can’t link directly to where I bought them, but here’s some other alternatives. The coral pants I bought at a store called Jenifer in France. Here, here, and here are some other cute options. The over-sized shirt is from Zara which are very rare in America but here’s one from Nordstrom that’s similar. My precious chambray that I adoooooore I bought in Sweden. Here, here, and here are some really cute ones. The booties I bought a while back from Nordstrom rack but here are some at Nordstrom that are also cute and similar. The leather pants were a gift from the hubs I think from H&M but here are some that are similar. I bought the skirt at Charlotte Russe a while ago but here is one that’s similar. And lastly the polka dot shirt is from a French store called Promod. But here is one from Wallis.

Okay phew! You’ve got some shopping options if you want to! Now, onto my challenge!

Here is how I put those pieces together.  7 pieces 7 ways

Chambray & skirt

chambray and skirt I love love love this chambray. It’s comfortable, cute, goes so many ways. I bought it in Sweden last year so I can’t readily get another. I paired it here with my black skirt and I really liked it! The leopard scarf helped change it up a bit, I love that scarf. Here’s one that’s similar or here’s one from Target. Oh and yes, I rocked my hair like that. I’m keeping it real here folks. It was a messy messy bun kinda day.

Over-sized shirt & leather pants

oversized shirt and leather pants This one is an easy save choice. It all goes together, nothing special. I did tie the shirt in the back so it wasn’t as over-sized. That’s about as creative as I got with this one.

Chambray & coral pants

chambray & coral pants I really liked this outfit. I tucked in & buttoned up the chambray for a little bit different of a look. I added the necklace, while not the same color, it still goes and helps add femininity to the buttoned up chambray. Overall, I liked it!

Over-sized shirt & skirt

oversized shirt and skirt

Once again, pretty safe with the colors. I tucked in the shirt for a little bit different of a look and added a belt. If you’re wondering if I wear this kind of stuff just out and about the answer is yes. In Europe they tend to be a little dressier so I just roll with it.

Coral pants & polka dots

coral pants and polka dot top Loved this look! The pants make it pop and I like the black cami underneath. It was comfortable and cute, definitely something I’d wear again.

Chambray, over-sized shirt & leather

chambray & oversized shirt I wanted to mix things up a little bit, so I decided to just layer it up with this one. I tried it with the coral pants but it just didn’t work. Too much going on. This look was cute & comfortable and something a little different. I would have never worn this before this challenge! I tied it in the back again for definition and so you could see the chambray more.

Polka dots and pink

polka dot shirt and leather pants This one is plain and simple. I love this polka dot shirt with the lace in the back. I paired it with the leather pants but added a pink scarf (seen in the collage picture above) for some color. I also paired it with my favorite bright pink lipstick from MAC. I wore this to my husband’s basketball game Friday night, and I added a black blazer cuz it was cooooold.

So I learned from this first challenge to really think about how things can blend together before you pick your pieces. I should have thought of colors that would have blended better. I also would want to add more color into what I chose, the pants were the only color, really! I also learned accessories add a lot! And that I need to start stocking up on some!

Honestly, I loved this challenge. It really forced me to look at my closet and be creative with what I have. I am doing it again this week & challenging myself to wear only skirts!! Can’t wait to share what I come up with next week!

Linking up to Get your Pretty OnThe Pleated PoppyShannaStylelixirWardrobe Wednesday,Whatever, Whenever WednesdayTarget ThursdayAloha FridayskirtFalling for FridayFriday’s FanciesCasual Friday

88 Responses to Remixing your Closet – 7×7

1. Katty April 8, 2013 at 4:23 am #

Hi Natalia! I love love LOVE! this challenge! It’s so doable! I’ve always wantedto do a 30×30 but it seemed like so much work! NOw, a 7 for 7 is something I can actually do, and you just need to focus on one week at a time, and the next week you get to pick 7 new items! I’ll try it and I’ll let you know.
    Love the blog, btw. Have been following for months already. I just never commented

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Thank you so much for your compliments! I totally agree, the 30×30 is a bit intimidating and I have a short attention span, so I have never completed one. But a week, I can do a week! Good luck on the challenge, I would love to see what you come up with!

2. Carrie April 8, 2013 at 6:46 am #

I’ve been embracing the idea of keeping just the good pieces of my wardrobe and mixing them up.  Great ideas here!  Would you mind to link this to my blog hop?  I think our readers would love to see these outfits!  Thank you!

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thank you! It was actually a very fun challenge! I linked up 🙂

3. april April 8, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I love this idea. I really do need to try to do the same. I feel like I run out of ideas and options and have NO idea how to even put together an outfit. I am usually in jeans and a t-shirt or blouse or slacks and dressy shirt for work. My closet consists of about 20 black shirts because I’m top heavy and feel that black goes with everything….I’m going to challenge myself to put together 7 days of outfits… jeez…i hope I can do that!
    -april

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:50 am #

Yes do it! And limiting the amount of pieces that you have challenges you to put them together in different ways. I would have never layered the over-sized shirt over the chambray, but it worked and gave me another outfit! So you’re challenging yourself to try new things, put together new outfits, & work with what you got! I hope you enjoy it, I would love to hear how it turns out!

4. My Greatest Hits April 8, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Such great outfits! I’ve love for you to link up to My Style Monday. http://fashionsgreatesthits.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-style-monday_8.html

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Thank you! I linked it up 🙂

5. the domestic fringe April 8, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

I love this! All your outfits turned out fabulous. I should try something like this with my clothes. I have a limited wardrobe too.
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Oh I hope you do! I’d love to see what you come up with!

6. Anvariel April 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Wow! You are great! I have full wardrobe of clothes and I usualy don’t know what I should to wear.
    Best greetings from Poland 🙂

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:28 am #

Oh that’s great to hear from someone with a lot of clothes as well! We always think more clothes will solve the problem, but really it’s teaching ourselves to be creative with what we have! Thanks for your comment!

7. Kati Nickl April 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Natalia-

I am loving your blog and this post– It is always best when you can make the most out of your closet rather than going out and buying new things!! I am a new follower and would love it if you checked out my blog!

XO!

Kati
    Glitz & Gold

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Thank you so much for your kind words! It definitely helps challenging yourself to work with what you have! I will definitely check out your blog.

8. Mo April 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

This sounds like a fun challenge! I think you did well with the pieces you chose. I agree that accessories can add to an outfit and I don’t have much of them. New follower here! 🙂

Mo
    Who is that girl Mo?

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:26 am #

Thank you! Yes, I agree, I need more accessories! They help a lot. I definitely need to add some bold statement necklaces, I think that would help a lot. Thanks for your comment, so glad to have you!

9. Lindsey B April 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

I can’t believe how diverse these pieces are! I have always been REALLY bad about buying something with a specific outfit in mind and then it never varies. I just keep circulating those same exact outfits. It’s actually pretty lazy, I never switch it up or get creative. I cannot believe how many you got out of these few pieces! Once again you have inspired me, Natalia! I am definitely going to go into my closet and see how many looks I can put together with each piece. I guarantee it will triple my wardrobe! Just don’t tell my husband; I still have a shopping need to fulfill! 😉 haha

Lindsey
    High Heels and Training Wheels

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:30 am #

haha so funny!! It’s so true, we can’t let them in on our secret. But it’s true, it’s really helpful to take a different look at your closet. I would love to see you do the challenge and see what you come up with! Oh and I could have made more outfits, I just stopped at the 7. Amazing how that works isn’t it!?! Let me know if you get to give it a try!

• Lindsey B April 13, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I gave it a try! Posted all about you and the challenge! You can check it out here 🙂

Lindsey

• Natalia April 15, 2013 at 2:29 am #

LOVE IT! Thanks for the link back, so sweet!

10. Tamara @ The Workout Mama April 9, 2013 at 6:24 am #

Thank you for sharing what is in your closet! I am super impressed with how cute your wardrobe is even more after seeing the limited space you have to hang everything! Great post with great ideas!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:20 am #

Thank you! I don’t post pictures of my sweats days or the days I wear the same outfit twice cuz no one saw me the day before, haha! That would just be boring. But it is helping me to branch out and try new things with what I have! Definitely working on contentment!

11. Wanda April 9, 2013 at 6:40 am #

You look fabulous in all the outfits. That is a challenge that we all can benefit from. Getting the most from our clothes. Thanks so much. Visiting from A Bowl Full of Lemons. Blessings!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:19 am #

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked it. I do think it’s good, no matter what your closet looks like. Also a good lesson on contentment, which I’m working on! Thanks for stopping by!

12. Danielle Henderson April 9, 2013 at 9:36 am #

This is awesome! You make me feel no so bad about having a small closet to work with! I’ll def. be doing this during this week!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:16 am #

Oh good, I would love to hear how it turns out!

13. domestic bliss squared April 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Such a great idea! Amazing what you can do with a small wardrobe!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 1:16 am #

Thank you! Yes, there are options even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes!

14. Kelly @ Kiwi Womens Style April 10, 2013 at 3:04 am #

This was a really enjoyable post to read!  Fantastic outfits.  Thanks for sharing with WW xo

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 9:45 am #

I’m really glad you liked it!

15. Ashley April 10, 2013 at 4:05 am #

You totally rocked this challenge!!  I am a huge fan of shopping my own closet, and I love the outfits you came up with!!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thank you so much! It’s helpful, isn’t it? Creates a whole new wardrobe!

16. Priscila April 10, 2013 at 6:06 am #

You may have a small closet, but who needs a big one when you have such cute clothes? Im following your project on Instagram now!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Thank you! It’s funny how easy it is to think ‘the grass is always greener’ type of thing. But I had someone comment that even though they have a lot of clothes, they still have a hard time putting things together. So this is a challenge that would be good for anyone!

17. Jenn April 10, 2013 at 6:56 am #

I love all of these looks! (especially the chambray with the black skirt!) I also have a short attention span but maybe I’d last for the 7 day challenge!
    Jenn
    With Luck Blog

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Seriously! that was exactly my problem, I would try the 30 day challenge but a week in I would lose focus. This is a little more my speed!

18. Versatile Style by Tracey April 10, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Great idea for a doable challenge and you did a great job with it.!  My favorite was the striped top over the chambray shirt as it was unexpected…  I think you may have started something with this challenge and may have a lot of bloggers use this idea.. I just might  and will link back, giving you credit!!!!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Oh I would love it if you give it a try! I would love to see how you put things together, it’s really a fun form of creativity! Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

19. Cheryl April 10, 2013 at 10:17 am #

I love all of your outfits! I wish I could be creative as you. Your remixing is so fun to look at and you look good in every combination  too. 🙂

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Trust me, you can be! Just choose items you want to remix & you’ll get creative with it. When you’re staring at 7 pieces and they’re your only options you have to mix things up! Some of these outfits I wouldn’t have otherwise put together!

20. Aubree April 10, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Great post! I often wish I had a smaller closet, but then I just keep buying more clothes!

• Natalia April 10, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Wow, you wish you had a smaller closet?? You’re crazy! I rarely shop but I’m starting to more now. it’s just that when I start, it’s really hard to stop!

21. Agi April 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Love this. I recently did a 30 in 30 challenge. It was great. It definitely got me thinking about different ways i can wear my clothes and make different outfits.Visiting from the link up. Don’t forget to link up tomorrow. Show me your favorite spring trend. HOpe you can join. I’m also doing a giveaway for a $300 gift card to gap/old navy/banana republic. Come by and enter.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

• Natalia April 11, 2013 at 3:56 am #

It’s helpful isn’t it? Thanks for taking the time to comment, I’ll check you out soon!

22. Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts April 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts – you were featured today!
    –Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

• Natalia April 11, 2013 at 3:52 am #

Thanks so much Mandy! I am glad you liked it!

23. Jess @ Spool and Spoon April 11, 2013 at 5:23 am #

LOVE every single combo you put together!! BTW — Can I just say that every time I see ankle booties I think of you? You rock them so well.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Natalia April 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Awe seriously? Thanks so much! I am glad you liked it, I had fun doing it! I have another coming this next week!

24. Amber April 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I love this so much!! I need to clean out my closet SO badly but always hesitate to because I know my clothing stock will be SO tiny. I wear basically the same stuff over and over again anyway but I just love the idea of them all sitting there looking pretty.

• Natalia April 12, 2013 at 1:39 am #

Oh do this challenge before you clean out your closet! Then you’ll know what you really can wear and what you really don’t want/won’t wear. Then you’ll also know what items you want to add to your closet. It really is so helpful!

25. Kristine @the foley fam April 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

I canNOT believe that’s all the clothes you own!! You have such fabulous style, love how you used just the 7 pieces for a whole week’s worth of outfits! You totally inspired me beautiful friend!

Kristine –The Foley Fam {unedited}

• Natalia April 12, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Seriously, I am not lying, that’s my closet. So sad I know. But we travel so much almost everything I own fits into 2 suitcases!! It has to since we move internationally every year! Gotta get creative!

26. Rachel April 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

This is such a great idea and the outfits you came up with are so cute! you should do a challenge to other bloggers to do this kind of thing and link up their post about it with you! 🙂

• Natalia April 12, 2013 at 1:37 am #

That is a great idea! I am working on making it into something can participate in. I mean, of course people can participate no matter what, but you know, a little more organized! Thanks for your kind words! 🙂

27. Questing Jess April 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Great work getting creative! I really love how you’ve tied the oversized shirt, adds great shape and interest 🙂

28. Rachael Barclay April 12, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Just found you through Falling for Friday. I love love the outfits you put together from those 7 pieces! I have been wanting to do a challenge like this for some time now, you make it look very do-able. Off to check out the rest of your blog:)

• Natalia April 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Thank you! I am glad you like it! It was a fun challenge and is definitely for everyone! Even if you have a big closet, it’s fun to try new things and step out of your box. Glad you liked it!

29. Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired April 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

WOW – very impressive.  All outfits looked great on you.

• Natalia April 13, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Thank you! It was definitely a fun challenge!

30. Sherry April 14, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Wow!! This is a fantastic post. I’ve been wanting to do the 30 for 30 and I think you’ve just inspired me to go for it. You did an absolutely amazing job. Thanks so much for linking up with Fashion Informant!
    xo~Sherry

• Natalia April 15, 2013 at 2:26 am #

Of course, thanks for hosting the link up! I’ll be participating again! 🙂

31. Lynaea April 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Beautifully done!  I love the remix concept, and admire your stripes and dots, splash of coral…Denim!  I have some stripes upstairs in my “thrifted, waiting for refashioning” pile…I’m excited to get to them.  Thank you for sharing.  Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

• Natalia April 16, 2013 at 8:43 am #

I have a pile of clothes like that – “waiting for refashion” It’s fun to do but I don’t always get to them! Glad you found the challenge helpful!

32. Kristen April 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Hey girl!  I’m thrilled to have discovered your blog through the Best Of link up!  Love how you remixed these pieces. It gives me hope for my closet right now from which I feel I have nothing to wear. 🙂

• Natalia April 16, 2013 at 8:42 am #

I think we’ve all felt like we have nothing to wear! Probably more often than not! This challenge totally helped me rethink my closet and be creative with what I have. It’s a fun one to try!

33. Pomereta April 16, 2013 at 2:10 am #

Hi Natalia, haven’t been around later but loving your last posts, really inspired. I’m a disaster when it comes to put together clothes so…thanks for all the ideas!! ;O)

• Natalia April 16, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Hey girl! So glad you like them! This is a fun challenge to try, really stretches you!

34. Laurie April 16, 2013 at 8:00 am #

Love this! My husband and I share a tiny closet and every time I look at it, I cringe. This challenge has me inspired to look at it (and my clothing) in a new way. Thanks!

• Natalia April 16, 2013 at 8:39 am #

So glad you liked it! I have another post like this coming tomorrow except I wore only skirts and shorts – it was fun!

35. Lauren April 17, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Natalia!  I just discovered your blog from a posted picture on Go Chic or Go Home.  I love the outfits you chose!!  I especially like your coral pants and striped shirt.  I think they would go very well together.  I’ve been trying to find the perfect pair of coral pants and I’m having a hard time finding a pair in my price range!  Your outfits are great and I’m your newest subscriber! 🙂  I’m new to the blogging world so I love getting inspiration from fashion blogs like yours!  I look forward to reading more.

36. Lindsay June 7, 2013 at 5:39 am #

I love this! I always look at my closet and think, “I dont have anything to wear!” When I have tons of clothes. I think I need to do this! Thanks for the inspiration. I love those coral pants!! <3

• Natalia June 7, 2013 at 11:26 am #

I hope you give it a try! We’re having a link up for anyone who is trying the remixing your wardrobe challenge on June 12th. I hope you get to join!

37. Yakiniku September 5, 2013 at 2:17 am #

My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!
    Yakiniku recently posted..YakinikuMy Profile

• Natalia September 5, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Thank you! I am glad you liked it. You should join in sometime 🙂

38. T'onna August 17, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Cute outfits! I love your style!

• Natalia August 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

Thank you! I have fun with the 7×7. In fact, I think I need to do it again soon!

39. deb viator January 28, 2015 at 6:45 am #

great job girl

40. Theresa March 6, 2015 at 11:48 am #

I enjoyed reading some of your blog. I to am a born again Christian and the day I was saved was the greatest day of my life. I think you should write about that special day and what you think about life after death. I think you could be a shining light and an encouragement to many who read your blog.

• Natalia March 10, 2015 at 3:50 am #

Thank you! That is a great idea, but honestly, I was saved when I was around 5 years old and grew up in the church. I vaguely remember that day. However, the way the Lord has worked in my life from that day on and continues to do so is evidence of His love for me and my salvation. I try to write about that in our love story and other personal things I share here on my site. Hope that shines through!! I really do try! 🙂

1. 7×7 Remix your Closet with Hanes LegWear! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - April 17, 2013

[…] last week I challenged myself to wear 7 pieces of clothing 7 different ways. It was an awesome challenge and accomplished more than I thought it would. I had to think outside […]

2. 7 Bloggers, 7 Pieces, 7 Ways – Remix your Wardrobe! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 12, 2013

[…] post!! I have been waiting for it for a while. Remember a little while back when I took 7 pieces from my closet and remixed them to create 7 different outfits? And then again when I wore only skirts & shorts for a week, remixing again? Or when I showed […]

3. Remixing Your Closet | On The Upside - March 5, 2014

[…] over at Ma Nouvelle Mode wrote up this post about mixing things up with the few garments she has in her teeny […]