Embrace Your Beautiful

Be You. Be Beautiful.

embrace your beautiful

Have you ever wondered who was the authority on what was ‘pretty?’ Who said rail thin was beautiful? Or that if you didn’t have long, thick hair you were out of luck. And then who said that every single one of us had to fit into these predetermined requirements?

Says who? And why? It blows me, really, how women compare themselves to anyone and everyone and usually find themselves coming up short. Almost every time.

Why? Why are we coming up short? Well, in my opinion because comparing is a lose-lose situation. You either come out on top and you’re feeling pretty good about yourself (and in turn, pretty lowly of the other person), kinda high and mighty, or you come out less than worthy, kinda feeling sorry for yourself. Why is the tendency more often the latter? And even if we do come out on top it’s usually due to insecurity so think lowly of the other person to make ourselves feel better.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been there! I do it too often and I hate it every time I do it.

Jenna  from Life of the Wife posted an Instagram pic a little bit ago and said something along the lines of (can’t find the pic, so this isn’t an exact quote) “Ever feel pretty with your hair and makeup & just want to document it?” YES! Why the heck not? She wasn’t saying she was prettier than anyone else, she just felt good about herself! Is that a bad thing?! And yet, for some reason having confidence is more looked down upon than saying something like “feeling totally crappy and ugly today. And oh ya, I’m fat.”

So I want to start a movement. A movement where women everywhere embrace their OWN true beauty. Where it’s okay to know you look good and embrace that. It doesn’t make you better or worse than the next girl, because you aren’t comparing! A movement where we train ourselves to be okay with the way we look. Heck, maybe even embrace it!

Because it’s so easy to tear down. It’s so easy to listen to the bad stuff. And sometimes, it’s easier to be negative.

But doing the easy thing isn’t always the right thing.

I move that not only we embrace our own beauty, but that we learn to build up other women around us. We encourage and motivate others to embrace their beauty as well. Pay a compliment – that you really mean – say some kind words, help a sista out, encourage someone. You know, the good stuff.

Let’s think of it this way. What if your beautiful little child worked all day to create a pretty painting for you. He brought you the painting and was so proud in showing you and you say “That’s really nice, it’s very lovely in parts, but it has too much black over here. And this part should be blue. And I don’t really think this part goes. And it’s fat.”

Okay, so the fat part doesn’t fit into my analogy, but you get it, don’t you? We are all masterpieces in different ways and we’re saying “nice try, it’s okay in parts, but really, it’s not good enough. It should be like that painting over there.” And meanwhile, that painting is saying “if only I could be like that painting over there.”

How about saying “Thank you Lord! I am beautifully made and I am going to embrace the beauty you gave me.”

Trust me, I know this is hard. It’s a weird exercise to feel beautiful and be okay with it. Maybe even say it out loud. There are parts about me that I really don’t like. It annoys me that I have them. But there are parts that I love and am thankful for. So, as my husband always says (and he’s a pretty confident dude) “If I don’t love me, who will?”

How can we expect to go out and conquer our worlds while feeling sorry for ourselves or not good enough?

So let’s do something about it! Here’s my challenge for you today:

Tell me something beautiful about yourself. And as a practice of embracing it confidently – leave it in the comments, it will be like saying it out loud.

Be You, BeYOUtiful

We want to connect with you. I want to encourage you, we want to encourage each other. Use the hashtag #beyoubeYOUtiful on Twitter, Instagram, or Google+ and encourage others as you see it! Let’s start a movement!

Me and my girl Hillary are going to be talking & encouraging women to step out of their comfort zones and learn to embrace their own beautiful through some fashion & beauty. Can’t wait to chat with you guys and encourage each other!

Then be thankful for your gift, embrace it, and go out and conquer your day. 🙂

18 Responses to Embrace Your Beautiful

1. jimmie lee April 7, 2013 at 6:12 am #

This week a woman that i am friends with but don’t know very well yet told me that she thought I was strikingly beautiful. I don’t believe her because I don’t see it but anytime I am having a bad day or an “ugly” day I will remember what she said to me. I also remember the very first compliment I got from my husband before we were even dating. He looked at me and said, Do you know that you are absolutely beautiful. And I was hooked lol. When I don’t feel beautiful, I try to think about how i felt when I was told those two things!
    We are ALL beautiful in our own way and that is much to be appreciated 🙂
    Rock our “beautiful” girls!!!

• Natalia April 7, 2013 at 7:21 am #

AMEN! When I was growing up I was always shocked if a boy liked me or thought I was cute, I just never saw it. Now I realize, I am pretty! It even sounds vain to say that, but why not? I’m not saying I’m the prettiest or prettier than other girls, I just need to have confidence. And like you said, every woman is beautiful in their own right, and it will look different from the other girl and that’s okay!! We need to embrace our beautiful!

2. Samantha Marie April 7, 2013 at 7:23 am #

Thank you for the thought provoking and amazing post today! You are so right! I hope others can see this post and believe it, too. It is definitely easier to think negatively about yourself ESPECIALLY in comparison of others! But we are all made differently and that’s what makes us unique. Today, I want to remind myself that I have a gorgeous face especially my eyes. Thank you, again xo

• Natalia April 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Thank you! thank you for commenting! Isn’t it easier to be negative? To brush off a compliment with something bad about yourself. It’s really so silly. But why can’t we embrace our beauty. I hope it inspires a few people today!

3. Betsy April 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Oh, you are so wise!  We all struggle with this…and yes, we are all beautiful in our own ways.  What if we all looked alike?  Just the variety and differences are wonderful and each lovely in itself!

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 2:12 am #

That is an excellent point!! What a boring world this would be!

4. Leigh Anne April 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I really needed to hear this!  I think as women we always struggle with this…..comparison & not being content.  But The Lord made us all beautiful!  If only we can see our selves like He sees us!
    So….I am beautiful!  I have beautiful eyes and a lovely smile!
    Now, I just need to look at myself in the mirror each day and say the same things!
    Thanks for this exercise in loving ourselves!

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:56 am #

AMEN! If only we could see ourselves like He sees us! We would all be blown away and not know who he was talking about! I am so glad to have you participate in this ‘excercise’ you are beautiful!

5. The Domestic Fringe April 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I love this! You’re so right that it’s easier to be negative than it is to be positive, and for some odd reason, it’s more socially acceptable to be negative.

I have to admit, this is a new way of thinking about myself, but it’s good. I’m always dwelling on the things that don’t quite measure up to the imaginary standard of beauty, instead of enjoying the good things. You’re awesome to begin this campaign.
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Seriously! Why is it easier to be negative? But I think as women we need to not only embrace our true beauty but encourage others as well. And let go of what Hollywood or whoever says is beautiful. Encourage each other!

6. Katie April 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

I LOVE this!! There are days where my confidence is rockin’ and others where everything looks wrong to me, but I’m trying to always see the good! And I LOVE seeing the different beauty of others – thanks for pointing us chicks in a better direction!!!!

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 2:11 am #

Seriously, I have those days when it seems like no amount of makeup or cute hairstyles will make me look good! BUt mostly I just need to sleep & get over it! haha

7. Erika Vartsaba April 8, 2013 at 6:59 am #

I have always been that girl who thought she is less beautiful than other girls. I am 26 now and I understand that each and every women is beautiful. We have to accept ourselves and be comfortable in our own skins. I remember having not really liking my face until I was told I looked like my father. I love him so much so since that day I am proud that I have a face that makes me look like my sweet daddy. Thank you for this post Natalia! You are incredible, I cannot say it enough times 🙂

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Thank you! That is true, that is a compliment! I honestly believe it, every one is beautiful and confidence is seriously the best form of beauty. Someone could be not typically pretty but carries herself well and people think she’s gorgeous! Same for a beautiful woman with no confidence, it’s unbecoming! I am glad you liked the post, I hope you were encouraged! 🙂

• Erika Vartsaba April 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I sure am encouraged! Not only by this post but by your whole blog! What I love the most is that you are honest. You show us the downs as well as the ups and that makes the whole thing more real. I am glad I found you!

• Natalia April 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Thank you so much Erika! It really does mean a lot to me to hear that!

1. Be Your Best Your - April 7, 2013

[…] want you to join myself and my buddy Natalia from MaNouvelleMode in this new […]

2. Confident is Beautiful | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 25, 2013

[…] really don’t want you to feel like this when you come to my site. I want to encourage you to embrace your beautiful, however that looks for […]