Homemade Green Machine Smoothie

So lately I’ve been into making homemade smoothies. Healthy ones that I can hide veggies in for my kids and husband. I go on kicks, where I’m super healthy and awesome for like a week and then I forget and eat whatever. Thankfully there isn’t much junk around us to eat and that definitely helps.

But if we’re keeping it real, Eli and I made sugar cookies right before this. Hey, we were on a screen detox, I was running out of ideas!

But I asked on Facebook (whereI absolutely love connecting with you guys!) if you’d like the recipe and the overwhelming answer was yes! So here we are, actually a little on top of things with the recipe!

green machine smoothie

And you guys, I wouldn’t lie to you, this smoothie is good. My husband out right refuses to eat vegetables and hates that I try to slip them into places & hope that he doesn’t notice. He has actually picked out slivered almonds among rice because he didn’t want them. (Can you say stubborn? Just eat the almonds!) He drank this smoothie and actually said he liked it! Now I did make him try it, which was a feat in and of itself, but he didn’t have to say he liked it. And if you know my husband at all, he does not do or say things he doesn’t want to.

So with this recipe being kids & hubby approved, I feel confident to present it to you! Although my kids will seriously eat anything. It’s unreal.

Here is what you’ll need:

homemade green machine smoothie

• One kiwi
  • One banana
  • One pear/apple (I used a pear)
  • Half avocado
  • Cup of spinach or kale (I used spinach)
  • 3-4 slices of pineapple
  • Carrot juice (or some kind of non sugary juice)

Chop up all these ingredients and throw them in the blender. Few things – I realize there are a lot of fruits in this smoothie – probably why it tasted so good! However, you’re getting veggies in the spinach (which otherwise who really eats it?), carrot juice & nutrition from the avocado. You can definitely add more or less of any of these and mix it to be what you want.

But the way I see it is my kids are getting tons of healthy nutrition in just one cup. And they liked it so it’s not torture!

eli helping

Just so you know, it really helps to have a super hero on hand. He is very helpful in putting the fruits and veggies into the blender (and eating some along the way). You know, in case you were having trouble with anything.

Add the carrot juice.

carrot juice in smoothie

Here are some alternative liquids you can use in your smoothie:

• Water
  • Coconut water
  • Orange juice
  • Non dairy milks
  • Yogurt
  • Tea

Bottom line is you want to add as little to no sugar as possible. I didn’t add anything to this recipe and it was fabulous but if you need to you can add some agave sugar, honey, or brown sugar. I’m sure there’s a million more options but I’m not a huge health nut so I don’t know what they are.

eli blending

I had trouble turning on my blender, so I called my trusty super hero and he got it all taken care of.

Now I know some people (including myself until recently) think you need some fancy schmancy smoothie maker to make a good smoothie. And although I am not opposed to those gadgets, I told my husband how much they cost and he laughed at me and thought I was joking. So I had to make due with my $20 version.

It worked fine. I just blend it for 2-3 minutes and everything blends together really nicely.

I also didn’t add ice to mine because I don’t think it would have blended as nicely. I also don’t have an ice maker and you’ve seen my freezer. So I had to put the smoothie in the fridge after they were done for a little while. A good suggestion would be to create pre-made smoothie packs with different kinds of smoothies in little freezer bags. Then you just whip out a little bag when you want one and you have a nice, cold smoothie in no time!

eli drinking

Isn’t he adorable? I mean seriously, this kid. He’s a silly little boy & cracks me up on the regular.

Eli loved his green machine smoothie. Then when Tae got home from school, he gobbled up his. My kids eat like no ones business. Like all the time you guys, all the time. So if I can try to fill them up a bit with smoothies like these, packed with good things for them, I feel like super mom.

And then while I’m patting myself on the back, I turn around and Eli has spilled his smoothie and is licking it off the table like a dog.

Aaaaaand we’re grounded again.

So what do you think? Would you give this smoothie a try? Any suggestions to make it better?

20 Responses to Homemade Green Machine Smoothie

1. Candy Olivares March 12, 2013 at 3:25 am #

Sounds Delish Natalia!! Wow your hubby is really picky.. LOL!  I minced up carrots, onions and spinach and mixed in w/our hamburgers last night. My picky son ate it like a champ! 🙂  It’s sad we have to be so deceptive for our families to eat healthy.  Don’t stop mama! 🙂

• Natalia March 12, 2013 at 5:48 am #

Oh my gosh, my husband is so picky! He says it’s not picky that it’s easy because he just likes the same things, which is kind of true. My kids eat their veggies no problem & actually like them! It’s my husband I have to hide them from! haha!

2. Pomereta March 12, 2013 at 6:02 am #

We are big into smoothies here, but usually with lots of fruit never tried with spinach or any other veg. I do incorporate vegetables in soups & creams too, you just have to blend them well so they don’t find any piece or leafs. In summer icecreams & lollipops are great to add a bit more of fruit into the family diet…

• Natalia March 12, 2013 at 7:19 am #

Yes, I can’t wait for summer I’m gonna make these smoothies into Popsicles for the boys. They’ll love them and be getting healthy stuff instead of whatever is in the store bought ones! Putting veggies in smoothies is perfect because you can’t taste them at all, but it adds nutrients! perfect!

3. Katie March 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Gonna try this – have have a hubby and kids like that too! I tried putting veggies in a burger and he hand picked them out!!! Soo this sounds good and he loves the “green machine” from the store. Thanks!

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 5:00 am #

Oh he’ll love it, Katie! Seriously, Lavar is so stinkin’ picky, I think they’ll get along! I had this smoothie again this morning, it’s really good. I am posting another one next week that has carrots & is tropical. But you’ll be in Paris when I post it!! I’ll just have to make it for you when you’re here!

4. Camille David March 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

I am always looking for a good spin on the green smoothie! Also your munchkin is adorable – the hair is amazing – never cut it!!

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 4:59 am #

Thank you! I think he’s pretty stinkin cute too. 🙂 This smoothie is super good, I had it again this morning! Makes me feel healthy!

5. Tamara March 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Looks yummy! We like to add super foods to our smoothies in addition the fruits and veggies 🙂 Chia seeds, goji berries, raw cacao, and spirulina. The spirulina goes a long way so you only need maybe 1/4 tsp. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids. Smoothies are fun!

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 4:58 am #

These all sound amazing, thanks for the tips! We’re living in France right now and I wouldn’t have the slightest clue where to buy any of those things! I will have to try it when I’m back in the states. Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Evelyn @ My Turn for us March 13, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Great idea to use Carrot Juice!!   I think I will try to find it and try it next time:)

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Thank you! Yep, carrot juice is a great addition because it’s veggies but it still tastes great!

7. Alison @ Get Your Pretty On March 13, 2013 at 11:39 am #

I’m not a big fan of green smoothies but this one looks awesome! And your little super hero is too stinkin’ cute. I love how he’s your kitchen helper. Too sweet!

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Thank you! Yes, this green smoothie was good! I had another one this morning! And yes, super heroes are helpful! 🙂

8. Kristina March 15, 2013 at 8:17 am #

We love green smoothies at my house!  My husband and toddler are big fans.  I never thought to add avacado though.  yum.  And a little plus…my toddler used to struggle with constipation all the time, and hasn’t had one single issue since we started green smoothies.  Even if she only has them once or twice a `week…she is good to go 🙂

• Natalia March 15, 2013 at 9:35 am #

I was trying to think of things I could add that would add nutrition and not really affect the taste. And it worked! We love them in this house too!

9. The Domestic Fringe March 17, 2013 at 6:17 am #

This smoothie actually looks really good, and I love that you admitted you made sugar cookies beforehand. 🙂

I’m all about green drinks in my house, but no-one else will even give them a try. They’re party-poopers.

Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Night Stars. I enjoyed your post!
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia March 18, 2013 at 7:58 am #

You should make them try them with their eyes blindfolded & then when they like them so much, maybe it won’t matter if they’re green!

10. Ingrid March 19, 2013 at 7:29 am #

I have got to start making smoothies again and see if i can get my picky eating boy to drink them.  he used to love them!  now he gets really funny and tells me everything he doesn’t like makes his “throat feel funny” everything except peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and lucky charms! LOL

• Natalia March 20, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Interesting how that works, isn’t it? I feed my kids veggies at dinner and they have loved it and then just last night, same veggies I’ve made before Tae says “it tastes weird.” And he didn’t like it. he ate it, but it wasn’t his favorite. It was the same thing!! Kids are silly, these could really work for him!