Messy Side Bun for Short Hair

Guys, I am loving my short hair.

There were some people that said “Don’t do it! Don’t shop off your hair!” And honestly, as much as I really don’t like the cut (not the best job I’ve had) I am loving styling it. Why? Because it’s fast. I can do so much in less time, that’s my kind of style. Although I loved my long hair and kind of miss it too. Hmm… now I’m starting to sound crazy.

So you all get the benefit of my loving to style my short hair – short hair tutorials! I had my hair curled the other day and whipped out some looks and I wanted to share them with you. First off:

Messy Side Bun for Short Hair

messy side bun short hair

It’s easy peezy guys! And so pretty! I love that it is versatile. You can wear it out, maybe for a wedding, church, or just out and about. I know it’s gonna be a go-to look for me. Here’s some pics of the whole look:

messy side updo back on short hair

Here is what you’ll need:

messy side updo for short hair

Here’s the run down, but you can see the video for more spcifically how to do it.

• Tease, tease, tease from crown and on the sides.
  • twist and pin the opposite side of where the pony tail will be, leaving out two sections in front on each side.
  • Secure in a pony tail to the side of your choice.
  • Start pinning the curls to your head messily.
  • Loosely pin back the front sections into the curls.

messy side updo short hair

It’s really that simple, peeps! Don’t you love it? It’s now one of my favorite looks!

short hair messy side updo Well, what do you think? Do you like it? I have created a short little video to show you how to do this look. I hope you like it!

Oh and I talk a little bit about our tiny French bathroom and why it’s bizarre. Sometimes I wonder about the French. For a first world country, they sure got some things wrong. Anyway, enjoy!

, , , , , ,

55 Responses to Messy Side Bun for Short Hair

1. CARRIE March 7, 2013 at 6:16 am #

love it. i just got 8″ hacked off mine…i showed the gal the exact picture i wanted and it looks NOTHING like it…but im getting used to it…sort of….looking forward to trying the styles youve been posting 🙂

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 9:30 am #

A good hair stylist is hard to come by! The one I have in the states is great, but I had to try someone new here. Oh well, gotta learn to be creative!

• Yvie Wagner May 26, 2015 at 2:01 am #

Fantastic info Natalia, thank you….. Unfortunately I’m not too computer savvy & I just can’t see how to subscribe….. If you can help me out, I’d love just love it….
        BTW: Thanks, wish I was in France instead of the Middle East right now, but I suppose we are never satisfied 😉

2. Andrea S. March 7, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Love it! 🙂 In fact, I found your blog yesterday and subscribed because we have such similar hair and I’d even fixed my hair in a similar way this morning before I read this blog. Guess I’ll follow along a while! I enjoy your tutorials. Thanks!

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Glad you liked it, thank you! I found you on FB this morning! 🙂 Love meeting new people!

3. LIndsay March 7, 2013 at 7:33 am #

you look great with short hair! Love this tutorial, super cute style 🙂

4. Sandy a la Mode March 7, 2013 at 8:38 am #

i will be trying this one next!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Glad you liked them! Thanks Sandy!

5. Dawn March 7, 2013 at 9:04 am #

LOVE It…funny cause I’m wearing a side bun today too with my new shorter hair…although it’s not nearly as cute as yours! Work it, love the hair & video!

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Thanks! I’m sure yours is totally cute. Aren’t they great? Easy & cute!

• Dawn March 7, 2013 at 9:40 am #

girl, I’m ALL about easy! & cute

6. Amanda Lovan March 7, 2013 at 9:05 am #

How beautiful! Gonna have to try this one!

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Thank you! I hope it works for you!

7. The Domestic Fringe March 7, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I like this a lot. You inspired me today. I made a messy side bun, but my hair is a little longer, so I had to pull it through the elastic. Very fun! Great for second or third day hair.
    ~Fringegirl

• Natalia March 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Yes it is, isn’t it!? I am so glad you liked it, super easy, isn’t it?

8. Leigh Anne March 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Great tutorial! (That French bathroom is crazy, BTW! Is that your washer/dryer in your bathroom??)
    I had my 2nd day hair in a pony tail til I read your post this am & watched your video. After that, I headed to the bathroom and came out w/ the cutest side messy bun! Awesome! My hair is a bit longer w/ some natural wave so I just used the half-pulled thru method on the pony-tail part. Makes me feel all put together today…..if only my house & kids would agree!

• Natalia March 8, 2013 at 2:57 am #

Yay!! So glad you liked it and it worked for you! Perfect!!This makes me so happy, seriously, thank you so much for commenting & telling me!

Yes, that is my washer & dryer. In my already tiny bathroom. Seriously, some things about the French are just a little weird. But we have a washer & dryer, so I guess I can’t complain!

9. Sherri March 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the “short” hair tutorial! I loved it! Just what myself and my daughter needed! Love your site and I follow you religiously 🙂 Sherri

• Natalia March 8, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Thank you so much, Sherri! I am so glad you liked it. And thank you for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate it!

10. Leigh March 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Natalia, you are so inspiring! And helpful! And funny! I look forward to your posts – it’s like visiting with a friend. Truly. Thanks for having your blog for those of us “cute-hair” challenged girls. Before I started following you, all I knew how to do was put my hair in a normal pony tail. Now, I have the ca-utest hairdos!! All thanks to you.

• Natalia March 9, 2013 at 5:43 am #

Gosh, thank you so much Leigh! This makes me feel so good, I appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really does make me happy to relate to people. I am so glad you’re liking the hair-dos!!

11. Erika Vartsaba March 9, 2013 at 9:26 am #

I am loving it! Will make sure to try it out. Thank you for sharing. I have a little longer hair than yours but I think this do will work for me as well. Please share more curly up do options as I am miserable on that field.

• Natalia March 10, 2013 at 4:50 am #

So glad you liked it! I actually have some curly updos coming on the blog shortly!

12. Shandy March 10, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Love it, and it looks great on you 🙂 Victoria’s Secret So Sexy is my go-to dry shampoo. It works great! Found you at Think Pink Sunday. Have a great weekend!

• Natalia March 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Thank you! I actually heard they were pretty good, I’m gonna have to try them! Thanks for your comment! 🙂

13. maggie March 10, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Love this!! I recently donated my hair and am in crazy need of shorter hair ideas 🙂 thanks for sharing!

14. Heather @ The Unsophisticated Kitchen March 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Cute hair style!  I love it!  I have been growing my hair out for a long time but I am feeling that itch to cut it again and your cute cut makes me want short hair even more!

• Natalia March 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

I totally understand, that’s how mine got short! I am glad you like it, and you know what if you want to try it, it will probably work similar for long hair. Just pull your ponytail half way through & then pin. good luck!

15. Brooke March 11, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I always think messy should be so easy, but mine always looks really messy- not cute messy. I can’t wait to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing!  Have a great day!

• Natalia March 12, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I am so glad you like it! Messy is the new cool, so embrace it! I bet other’s think your messy is cute, beauty is all how you see it! So rock that messy ‘do!

16. Lisa March 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Love this messy bun! I have short hair too and just enough lenght for this to work for me too. Im acurally fiixing to have it cut shorter and your giving me second thoughts! Thanks for shareing. Come visit me somethime. Have a great week.

• Natalia March 12, 2013 at 5:49 am #

Glad you liked it! Give some short hair looks a try before you cut it! but hair always grows back!

17. Kim March 12, 2013 at 11:06 am #

turned out so cute! your hair is a little longer than mine. I wonder if I could pull it off.

• Natalia March 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

It actually might be easier to pin it all up! Give it a try, hope it works!

18. Laura@live-love-scrap March 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Love this- so pretty! Always appreciate ideas for short hair:)

• Natalia March 13, 2013 at 4:59 am #

Thanks! I have some new ones coming up! 🙂

19. Andrea March 14, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Love this! I always get jealous of all the cute buns I see everyone wearing! Perfect!

• Natalia March 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

You can do it! That’s why it’s a ‘messy’ bun! 🙂

20. eva scott March 22, 2013 at 9:40 am #

awww you’re so pretty and I love that messy side bun!!!!!

• Natalia March 24, 2013 at 3:07 am #

Thanks! it’s so easy too, that’s my favorite part!

21. Gabriela Castellanos April 3, 2013 at 4:48 am #

Coucou!! Thank you so mucho for the video!! I loved it!!! I’m living in France also for just one year, and your right about the bathrooms they are super tiny, I still don’t know why, is like the tiniest the better!!! Jajajaja loved the tutorial and love knowing I’m not the only one having troubles with short hair and tiny bathroom at the same time!!!

• Natalia April 3, 2013 at 5:07 am #

Oh how fun that you’re in France! Some of the things about being here are just funny. But then they’d probably think that about Americans too I guess! Either way, it’s a fun experience!

22. Susannah April 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

This is a great post! I love to see short hair tutorials, because it seems like everybody on the internet has long, luxurious hair with which to do whatever they want. We’re not all so lucky 🙂

I subscribe to your posts and get them by email at work, and I love them! I’ve put your website on my blogroll for my readers to have access to – http://www.agreatergorgeous.com 🙂

• Natalia April 4, 2013 at 5:10 am #

I am so glad you you like it, thank you! I recently cut my hair from being sooooo long so I’m trying to come up with some new ‘dos!

23. Priyanka August 27, 2013 at 3:32 am #

i loved it ! because i also struggled with my short hair, like i never get any hairstyle for my short hair and just like keep it open or a small pony all the time. but this one looks kinda sexy on me !
    i’m a fan of you now ! yay ! 😀

• Natalia August 30, 2013 at 11:32 am #

So glad you liked it!! Thanks for your comment!

24. Ashten April 8, 2016 at 2:27 pm #

Hi, the links to the products you like using, aren’t working. . What brands of dry shampoo and root lifting spray do you recommend?

• Natalia May 23, 2016 at 10:17 am #

I use Big Sexy Hair root pump for roots and BSH dry shampoo as well. They work great for me!

1. 7 Easy Up-Dos for Summer - July 9, 2013

[…] Messy Four Braid Up-do / 2.  Braided Do / 3.  Twist and Pin /  4.  Messy Side Bun / 5.  Twisted Sister  / 6.  Crossed Bun Remix  /  7. Elegant Faux […]

2. Le plein de tutriels pour la rentrée ! | BLABLA BLONDE - September 5, 2013

[…] là, un chignon d’inspiration bohème qui peut être fait sur cheveux plus court à voir ici, j’adore le côté décoiffé des chignons […]

3. Easy Faux-Hawk Tutorial | Ma Nouvelle Mode - September 11, 2013

[…] part start it at the height you want it. You’re going to create 4 messy buns (or for short hair) down the back. Then you just pin away until it’s even and the way you want it to look and […]

4. 7 HAIRSTYLES TO TRY THIS FALL | Best Friends For Frosting - November 25, 2013

[…] this messy side bun tutorial to switch up your hairstyle this season. It’s a great way to style that “second […]