7 Tips for Work/Life Balance at Home

A couple weeks ago I wrote a little bit on being a mom. How it’s kinda hard for me sometimes learning the big balance of this thing called life. You guys were so gracious with your encouragement and comments, I realized I wasn’t alone! So many other women feel or have felt the same thing. A lot of you also had some pretty great tips & pointers as well, which I very much appreciated!

So then I thought, instead of wallowing in my own little self pity party “life is hard, wah wah wah!” I thought I’d set out on a mission to encourage other women to fight the mom funk that is sometimes really hard to fight.

I realized, however, I don’t have all the answers. I am a new work at home momma. There are some other moms that have not only been doing it for a longer time but have some different tips. So I found a few moms who I know struggle with keeping in the balance, because we all do, and we’re giving some amazing pointers today!

My pointers today are going to be on balance personal life & work. Then I’m gonna link to all the ladies contributing so you can go to their blogs and check out their great tips too! So fun, right? Lots of resources all in one place!

Work/Life Balance

It’s this elusive thing we all try to achieve everyday. I am no expert, but I have a few pointers that might help a few of you out!

work life balance at home2

1.) Set a schedule

It helps to have an idea of the way that your day is going to go. Then you can make lists and check things off and stay on task. My son goes to school from 8:30 to 1:30 (French take 2 hour lunch breaks where he comes home for lunch). I spend this time with my little guy hanging out with him. Then we have lunch together and I take Tae back to school, Eli naps and this is momma’s work time. I have to have a schedule like this otherwise it’s too easy to put on too many movies for my kids. Tell me I’m not the only one!

Alissa from Rags to Stitches wrote an amazing post on organizing her work day. SO helpful!

2.) Change out of your pajamas

It’s so hard to be motivated to complete anything when you still look like you rolled out of bed. You don’t have to get all fancy or anything, but comfy cute is perfect. It will help you feel like you can accomplish more for the day. It also helps you feel like you can tackle little extra things you didn’t expect.

3.) Do your makeup & hair

032-001

Same as number two, but the days I do my makeup I feel like I can do so much more. This also helps for number 4 & 6. Try to find at least 3 makeup looks you can do in less that 5 minutes that you just slap on in the morning. This way you know you’re not spending a ton of time on in it but you still look and feel pretty. The picture above is from my “No makeup, Makeup” look.

4.) Get out of the house

eli & his airplane

Getting out of the house, even for a quick walk around the house, can really refresh your spirits. Specially if you work at a computer all day. It is so easy to get caught up in the world of Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, etc, and totally lose track of time! When you plan to take a break, be refreshed, let the kids run around like crazy if you can, then when you return home you’ll be ready to conquer whatever project needs to be done!

5.) Be okay when the schedule doesn’t go exactly as planned

I don’t know about you, but it’s so hard for me when I’m working and on a roll and getting stuff done and then something happens that takes me away. Eli spills in the kitchen (a regular occurrence), I need to make my husband lunch, or I need to run to the store or something.

amsterdam

Walking around Amsterdam

In fact, I was supposed to work on this post earlier than I have but instead my cousin & her husband are visiting and we decided to go to Amsterdam for the day! It put a little more stress on me later, but the day was amazing and I’m so glad I went. If I were too worked up on a schedule, I wouldn’t have been able to experience that. You’ve got to enjoy the benefits of working from home!

6.) Create Life situations

Walking in the park

Walking in the park

Like I mentioned in #4, it’s so easy to get  caught up on the internet. Someone mentioned on my last post to set a coffee date or something similar with a friend each week. This way you have something to look forward and a guarantee out of the house outing! You don’t want to miss out on real life because you get stuck behind the computer. I struggle with this one. Sometimes it’s easy to just let your self get stuck. But if you force yourself to create those circumstances, it will help balance it all out.

The picture above cracks me up. It’s me trying to take a picture of us and Lavar saying something what “what you doing? blah blah blah.” We’re such a funny blend, it’s awesome.

7.) Shut Down

When my son comes home from school at 4:30 I shut the computer down. I make them dinner, play with them, eat together, read books, get ready for bed. I try not to check my phone or open my computer. This is a specific time with my kids and I want to enjoy it without distractions. I also want them to see that it’s okay for mommy to work and she can put it away when we need her. This goes back to #1 because if you have a schedule and you’re conquering things when you’re supposed to, you will satisfied to shut down.

Sometimes I turn the computer back on after the kids are sleeping. But sometimes I keep it off and watch a movie or play a game with my husband. It’s nice to have options!

So I hope you enjoyed my tips! What are some tips that you would add for work/life balance! Leave them in the comments so we can all benefit from your wisdom!

Here’s the other ladies & their topics:

Organizing my Business Day: Alissa from Rags to Stitches
Work-space necessities: Aimee from Small Anchors
Work at Home Mom Routine: Alison from Get Your Pretty On
Tips for Keeping it Real: Hillary from Because My Life is Fascinating

I hope you’re able to find some great resources from the ladies above! They’re pretty amazing!

27 Responses to 7 Tips for Work/Life Balance at Home

1. Gina @ Oaxacaborn February 21, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Ooooh, Natalia, this one hit close to home! I’m guilty of NOT doing almost everything you list. And yet the (very few) days when I get out of that rut, oh wow, I feel like I could conquer the world! Thanks for the encouragement.

• Natalia February 21, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Oh girl, we’ve all been there! That’s why I write this kinda stuff because it’s helped me, it’s got to help someone else out there!! Glad you’re encouraged, you’re an amazing mother! 🙂

2. Emily February 21, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Such a great post! I agree with all of these things but I needed to be reminded of this especially right now during this cold weather. I have such a hard time gettin’ moving. So I’m getting up now, fixin’ my hair, doin’ my makeup and leaving the house 😉

• Natalia February 22, 2013 at 8:34 am #

I totally understand! When it’s cold I don’t want to go anywhere! But it really does still help me get going when I do the little things!

3. Hope February 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Great list. I work outside the home, but I can surely benefit from a schedule. Found you from Hilljean keeping it real link and following.

• Natalia February 22, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Isn’t it so true, a schedule helps so much.Thanks for stopping by!

4. Bonny @ thedomesticatedprincess.com February 22, 2013 at 12:54 am #

Thanks for the tips! I am guilty of wasting too much time on my blog and social media sites. I NEED to create a schedule and commit to turning off my computer from 3 to 9 on the weekdays and again by 11pm. You’ve inspired me!

• Natalia February 22, 2013 at 8:35 am #

I totally understand! I think most of us do. It’s good to refresh and get on track, I know I need it every once in a while!

5. aimee steckowski February 23, 2013 at 12:44 am #

love this — i abide by most of these rules too — but shutting down is SO hard for me. i recently changed my password on my email and never updated my phone’s email app — so it’s technically “broken”! it has been so freeing to not see the 78 emails that came in while i was asleep for 7 hours. 🙂 i can check at my leisure when i am actually settled in for my work-time versus first thing in the AM! i also need to work on a back-up plan for when my schedule doesn’t work the way i want it too. somedays, it just doesn’t work out.

thanks again for including me – i had a great time putting my ideas together!!

• Natalia February 23, 2013 at 4:36 am #

That’s a great idea! Except I think it might stress me out knowing I’m not taking care of things. But I think it’s good because most things don’t need to be responded to immediately, but with smart phones & technology everyone thinks they do! Thanks for joining in, it was fun!

6. The Domestic Fringe February 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

I am SO GLAD you linked this to Saturday Night Stars. I needed to read every single step. I need to follow so much of this advice. Thank you for writing this and sharing your heart with us. I need to be better at setting a schedule and getting out and getting dressed early. I always get dressed and do my makeup, but some days I’m doing this at 2:30 in the afternoon. So crazy. I’m terrible at being disciplined. Certainly something for me to work on. Thank you!
    ~FringeGirl

• Natalia February 24, 2013 at 5:55 am #

I think it’s a huge constant battle for most (if not all) of us! It’s tough balancing it all. I am glad you liked the post, thank you! And i think your link up is a great idea, I’ll be linking up for sure!

7. Kristin Cho February 23, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

I want to work from home more than I want anything right now lol  This post has really solidified my confidence that I could balance it!

I especially appreciate the simple act of getting out of our pajamas.  Just because we are home doesn’t mean we cannot be prepared for a successful day.  I make a point to get ready for school and work, but when I’m home I’m in my yoga pants.. and i’m virtually useless lol

Great tips~ bookmarking this for sure 🙂

• Natalia February 24, 2013 at 6:00 am #

It’s so true, isn’t it? I mean when I don’t get dressed and then have to do something unexpected it’s so hard!! But when I’m prepared for the day I feel like I can conquer whatever comes my way. I am glad you liked the post, thank you!

8. The Illiterate Author February 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Glad you posted about this! Stopping by from the Domestic Fringe. I don’t work from home, (sadly) but there are some good tips here for balancing life, blogging, and working too.

• Natalia February 25, 2013 at 6:06 am #

I think working out of the house would have some of the same but then some other difficulties too. I mean, maybe it’s not hard to get dressed every day… but hard to balance life in general after working & being tired! Thanks for stopping by!

9. Auntie Em February 25, 2013 at 5:55 am #

I’m visiting from the Fringe… I love these tips! I’ve been a working mom a long time and it’s still a battle I fight– you’d think I’d have it down pat by now, but no; so I’m always glad to get a bit more insight.
    Thanks!

• Natalia February 25, 2013 at 6:03 am #

I don’t know if we ever get it all the way down, you know?! It’s a tough balance! Thanks so much for stopping by!

10. KC @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family February 28, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Love your suggestions. I really need to work at implementing some of them or all of them. I think my work/life balance is totally out of whack and I’m going to burn out. Pinning this to refer to it often.
    Thanks so much.
    I left you a comment on another post, but I would love if you would link this one up at my link party as well.
    Have a great day enjoying the balance! 🙂
    KC

11. Liz March 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Hi there-
      Coming here from Domestic Fringe-and this is a helpful post! So true on #4-how much getting out of the house helps, mentally and physically, especially walking.  Thanks for sharing the tips!

• Natalia March 3, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Totally, doesn’t it!! Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it!

12. Ellie {Musing Momma} February 13, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

Great tips, Natalia! I work from home, although I have very set hours for my primary job so I can only be so flexible. The pieces about scheduling and “shutting” down when time is up are so huge! It is important to create boundaries around our family time and have some kind of structure that keeps work from totally bleeding into family time. One of my boundaries is that I don’t check my work email or voicemail on days off. My boss knows and respects this (lucky me!!!).

• Natalia February 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

That is great! I try to do the same. I mean, I think that’s what it’s about that we just always try. I think life will always be a balancing game, you know? All we can do is keep on trucking!

1. keep it real - February 21, 2013

[…] See Natalia for Tips on Work/Life Balance […]

2. Ronda de links - Hello! Creatividad - February 27, 2015

[…] Cuando uno empieza un negocio, al menos al principio en la mayoría de los casos no se plantea buscar una oficina. Estasarrancando y cualquier gasto fijo conlleva la palabra miedo. Llegará un momento en el que esta opción haya que planteársela, o quizá no, cada uno sabe lo que le funciona pero lo que esta claro es que para trabajar desde casa hay cosas que tener en cuenta, para que todo salga bien… Algunos tips. […]