Fight the Mom Funk

I have to admit. I am a little embarrassed to write this post. But I think it needs to be written. So here we go.

fighting the mom funk

It’s hard being a mom. Isn’t it?

We struggle with balance between our personal desires & lives and giving everything we have to our kids and family. I know I do. I have the hardest time finding balance between the two. I suppose it is a constant endeavor, this thing called balance.

So a couple weeks ago I was in a funk. You know the funk where you don’t get dressed.

You aren’t motivated to put on makeup.

You haven’t showered quite as often as you should. (or so your husband says… psh what does he know?)

You might have even forgotten to brush your teeth until later in the day. (Just me? Dang it.)

You figure, “Well all I do is take my kid to and from school, hang with my little & clean/cook all day! Why should I care?”

Guys, this was me. The person who writes a ‘fashion/beauty blog’ inspiring women to embrace their own beauty can’t get out of her sweats.

Now that’s just a tad bit embarrassing.

You know what snapped me out of it? You’re gonna laugh…

I put on a bra.

Yep. One day I put on a bra (it was that bad, people) and felt a little bit better about myself! Imagine what I’d feel like if I did my makeup or hair or something, this is incredible!

So I did that. I did my makeup. I got dressed cute. I fixed my hair. And you know what? I did feel great!

I felt like the house chores weren’t half bad. I felt happy to make my husband breakfast & play with my kids. I felt good about myself as I went about my errands.

I felt like I could conquer the day.

I just wanted to take a minute to refocus my life & this blog. I am here, writing this, not because I have it all together and I feel like I have some wisdom to impart to you. I am here writing because I am in the trenches with you!

I think we all are! Some might be better at it than others, but we’ve all had that feeling. I want this blog to be a place where women can come and be inspired to be a better version of themselves. I want to take the intimidation out of things like makeup, beauty, hair, fashion. I want those things to feel within reach for all of us, even if you’ve never been a ‘fashionista.’

Feeling good about yourself isn’t shallow, being confident is attractive, and being a mom doesn’t mean you have to lose yourself in the process!

And when you are here, at Ma Nouvelle Mode, I really, truly hope you feel encouraged, not judged. I hope you feel connected to a community of women, not alone. I hope you’re inspired to embrace your true beauty!

I’d love to hear from you all. If you can relate, how do you ‘fight the funk?’ What are your go-to ideas that help you feel good about yourself? Please share, I am sure it will encourage more than just me!

Oh and a side note – my husband who is not one for compliments, noticed and has complimented me each day I got dressed! Imagine that!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

38 Responses to Fight the Mom Funk

1. MommyCribNotes.com February 11, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Hi Natalia, I totally know what you’re talking about and work-life balance IS such a struggle. I recently read somewhere that we should really try for work-life purpose instead because really there is no such thing as finding balance. But, if you have purpose in your work and life even if it isn’t 50/50 it’s good. As for getting out of the funk, hair and makeup has always helped me feel good. Nothing special, just my basic makeup and a blow dry and I feel like I’m a better mom, worker, wife, etc. A cup of coffee and talking to another mother about the ups and downs always helps too.

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

I agree in that taking care of yourself helps you be a better mom, wife, worker etc. It’s funny how somethings so little or simple can make such a difference. I don’t think there is such a thing as perfect balance, but I do think it’s okay to constantly be working toward it. You know, you might mess up, and that’s okay, you just get back on the horse & keep going! Maybe it gets easier!

2. Alison @ Get Your Pretty On February 11, 2013 at 8:16 am #

I can SO relate to this post. This is really the whole reason behind my blog getting started. As a work from home mom of three, I know how important it is to feel pretty on a daily basis. It makes all the difference in how much I get done and how I feel about myself.

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

It totally does! That’s a reason I was drawn to your blog too. I love how you still look amazing as a WAHM of 3 kids! You’re an inspiration :)

3. Amy mayen February 11, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I have had sweat pants days for sure. I truly believe making yourself look good on the outside makes us feel better on the inside. For me, fashion can bolster my mood, & there’s definitely an emotional factor involved. If I’m feeling insecure, I might wear something extra fierce to give me some confidence that day. If I’m sad, bright colors or bold prints cheer me up. And maybe I’m a nut, but nobody can be in a bad mood wearing a super high cheerleader ponytail!

Thanks for stopping by http://www.sewsnbows.com. I was really scared to post link tips for hostesses, I didn’t want to look like a jerk. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks forced connects take away from the integrity of the blog. I’m looking forward to browsing your site! I love your raw honesty. Sometimes it’s hard to bare your true self online.

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Thanks for stopping by! So glad to connect with you. I love your take on emotional factor being involved, that’s amazing. Specially wearing something fierce! I’m totally gonna take that and use it for sure, thanks for sharing!

I thought your post was great! It wasn’t rude and you didn’t come across like you were telling people off. You were just writing some suggestions. I thought it was done well. I wouldn’t have commented otherwise! :)

4. CathyC February 11, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Thanks so much for sharing this, Natalia. I’m not a mom, but I’m home all day and find it easy to fall into the funk.  I can totally relate to the lack of showers/bra/teeth brushing and figured it was just me who got into this state.  At times I wish they had never invented yoga pants, since its so darn easy to live in them and not get officially dressed :-)  Reading your blog and trying something new with my hair (love your tutorials)  has rescued me from the yoga-pants-funk many times.  I also make a weekly coffee date with one of my fashionable friends, so that I *have* to get dressed, get out, and make an attempt to look like a put together woman.

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Oh I LOVE that tip of making a weekly coffee date! Because then you get some girl time & you need to get out and get dressed. Perfect blend. It is nice to know we’re not alone, isn’t it? I mean, it’s funny how something so small can be so hard! But definitely getting ready helps! It’s the main reason I started this blog. Glad you were encouraged, keep it up!

5. POMERETA February 11, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I read your words and seems you are talking about me. Putting the bra on helps, hehehe! Have been out of work for more than a year and for some time let myself go, but several moths ago realized that enough was enough and decided to start exercising and look after myself a bit more. Discovered Zumba classes…it made it for me (I have fun, socialize, burn my stress and exercise) have lost weight, meet new people and when I feel a bit down cheers me up, is like playing your favourite party song. I also went back to collage, cursing a master is helping me to focus in my career again and makes me feel like I still got it. My confidence is higher and me and my family are happier, of course some days I feel down and if it last more than a couple of days my remedy then is not staying home alone: I go for coffee with my girlfriends, exercise, go for a walk, cuddle my beautiful kids, or ask my husband for a bit of TLC…seems to work for now!  =O)

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

This is amazing, I love your take on it all! We’ve all been there I think, that’s why I write these posts. I don’t want women to think they’re the only ones that forget to brush their teeth. I know that’s totally gross, I’ve just been there. It is so great that you’ve been able to find some things that work for you. I also love the getting out and being social. It gives you an excuse to look cute too! Thank you for your input, it is really helpful! I appreciate the comment!

6. jimmie lee February 11, 2013 at 10:21 am #

I think lazy days are good every once in a while. But when it turns into days and weeks and months, somethings gotta give lol. Its beautiful here in pittsburgh today 46 degrees!!! (this is a rarity in winter) So in between my cleaning I am talking a walk with the little man today. Sunshine is good and I am taking advantage today instead of staying stuck in my funk :)

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I totally agree about lazy days! We don’t have a church here, so Sundays we just stay in the house in sweats and chill and it’s wonderful. It’s nice to have one day like that. And yes, take advantage of the good weather! That’s a good one! It’s freezing here and being a Cali girl, that’s hard to get around. But I do walk my son to and from school & sometimes into the city center. I try! But that is definitely great advice if it’s possible to do!

7. Kathleen@ Home Wasn't Built In A Day February 11, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Boy do I totally relate to this post! I have been in a “mom frump” since my daughter was born 20 months ago. I’m serious. I have blow dried my hair maybe 5 times since she’s been born, and put on makeup maybe an average of 2 or 3 times a month. Obviously if my hair and makeup aren’t done you can take a guess as to what I’m wearing each day. I kept seeing moms out and about and they would have matching outfits and hair and makeup would be done and they would look so pretty. I kept saying I wished I could look like that. And then it finally hit me- I CAN look like that! I have clothes that match if I would just put them on, I have a bag of makeup if I would just put it on. I have had long, elbow length long hair since I was in jr high and just didn’t ever know what to do with it. I would wear it in a wet bun straight out of the shower… like everyday. I thought I was “fixing myself up” if I added a little poof or elastic headband to the wet bun. Please! So I made a hair appointment and I got my hair cut super short above my shoulders and it actually has a style now! Last night after dinner I did a trial run and it took me 10 minutes to take my hair from wet out of the shower to dry and completely styled and ready for the day. I felt so much better having my hair done. I just needed to get out of my comfort zone and be shown a new hairstyle that would be easier for me to manage on a daily basis. It’s amazing what a new hairstyle can do for your confidence!!! I realize now I was always a short haired girl trapped in a long haired girl’s body!

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

haha I love this! I totally agree! I have thought that too – “oh she’s so pretty I wish I could…” fill in the blank. But wait – I can! I have the power to take care of myself. I am not vain if I care about the way I look. It’s okay to take 5 minutes to yourself. And that’s what I’ve been doing. I think women think that makeup and hair and getting ready is so time consuming. When really it isn’t that bad. I am going to do some tutorials with makeup looks under 5 minutes & hair etc. Just to show it can be done. I have 3 go-to makeup looks that are super easy & I know i can do them in less than 5 minutes. I think every woman should have something like this.

Thanks for sharing your story – this is seriously exactly what I was talking about and exactly why I post things like this! We can relate!

8. Ashley @ Forgetful Momma February 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

I always make myself get dressed, do my hair, and make-up and I feel so much better for it! I don’t dress up, jeans are my usual, but it is rare that I wear sweats or yoga pants. Oh, and I don’t leave the house 6 days a week and I still do it all. Otherwise I’d never get off the couch. :-)

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Gosh, I totally understand! I’ve been doing that the last couple weeks and it makes a WORLD of difference! Funny how easy it is to let it slip. But that’s life right, just always trying to balance it all out!

9. Erin K February 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Mom funk central here… The only thing that gets me out of my funk is actually doing my hair. I have long hair and will go two days in a messy bun. But if I just roll it in a sock at night,  it looks great in the morning.  If my hair looks good, I feel good. I might even put on a little mascara and lip gloss..
    I just have to find a way of getting out of pjs into different pjs every morning. Most days it’s just me and my little man at home so no need to get dressed up. I need to find comfy home clothes that aren’t pj pants and a tank.

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

I totally understand, I am at home with my boys too and don’t get out a ton. I think it’s good to have other options too, beside the sweats & yoga pants. Because there are days I stay in those! But the hair & makeup helps a ton too! Just know you’re not alone! Looks like lots of us have been there! :)

10. Leigh Anne February 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing and being honest! That’s what I love about this blog….along w/ the style/beauty inspiration.

I think we all have these days! I feel much better if I just get a shower & get dressed w/ simple makeup and maybe even a cap/hat, but just that being showered & clean clothes helps me alot. I also get a boost of energy/mood from exercise….crazy, cuz I really don’t enjoy it that much. But, the effects afterward are worth it! Especially if I can get up & do an exercise video & get my shower before the kids wake up…..my day/mood is sooo much better! But, I don’t always do this cuz the pillow sucks out all my motivation sometimes, but I can feel the effects all day when I don’t.
    I especially love Lindsay Brin and her Moms into Fitness DVD’s. She is a mom of 3 kids 6 & under so I feel like she understands. I am doing her 60 day Lean Out DVD’s right now and loving them.
    www. momsintofitness.com.
    Thanks for always being honest! Love your blog & what you do!

• Natalia February 12, 2013 at 2:26 am #

Fitness is definitely a good idea. I need to get some videos like that because I don’t really have a gym or anything here. But it does help you feel better about yourself for sure! But boy do I understand the pillow sucking it out of ya! There are days when I feel like I literally cannot get out of bed. Like my body won’t let me I’m so tired!

Getting a chance to shower, get dressed, and maybe dab on some makeup – it’s amazing how that works wonders!

thank you for your kind words about my blog, it really is encouraging! We’re not alone in this & I really want to reach out to women & encourage everyone! Oh and thanks for the fitness DVD recommendations – I’m gonna have to check them out!

11. Jennifer February 12, 2013 at 12:23 am #

LOL! YES! Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt (and sometimes make a monthly visit back)! Fighting the funk for me usually includes a tooth brushing, a shower, spray of perfume and lipstick. Oh, and a trip to Target… ;-)

• Natalia February 12, 2013 at 2:22 am #

Love this! I revisit a little too often as well… Trying to get out of it! Love your remedy too, spray of perfume helps!

12. Jenn @comebackmomma February 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Found you via Take-a-look Tuesday. I can totally relate. I did get in a workout today, but I am still in my ball cap after doing laundry, running errands, school pickup, haircuts, homework, etc. I feel so much better about myself when I can get out of my mom funk too. Great post!

• Natalia February 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Thanks! Totally understand – we can definitely relate here!

13. Katie Pidge February 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

I love when you do posts like this because it makes your blog so real! I go through phases like you do too but this blog always ends up helping me feel beautiful again. I think as women we have so much on our plates and so much we’d love to accomplish that sometimes we just turn off. So thankful my hubby doesn’t freak when this happens :). Anyway I always like to re look at my priorities when I get in a funk and I also look at my goals and choose to do one thing for myself. You are an amazing woman and I’m so glad you do this blog for yourself and us!!!

• Natalia February 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Isn’t it true? I think women do so many things it’s so easy to forget about ourselves. But finding a balance is so necessary, you know? Thankful Lavar loves me no matter what but it’s still nice to look good for him. Life is just one huge balancing act for us mommas! Can’t wait to see you!

14. Kelley February 16, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I can SO relate to this! I laughed when you said you put a bra on.. but its true! Just doing something as simple as that really does help. Thanks so such a great post!

• Natalia February 16, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Kelley! It’s funny how easy it is to get stuck or I guess we kind of slide into it. But then it’s the little things that help us get out of it!

15. Amanda February 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Hahaha, yes!! I totally find this mom thing a very tough balance and find it very easy to neglect my appearance and get In a mom funk. It’s so nice to know even you struggle :). I mean that in a good way! Thanks for being honest!

• Natalia February 22, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Thank you! Yes, I still struggle for sure. I think we all need a little jump start sometimes to get back in our groove. That’s why I write these posts, I want to encourage everyone to just keep on going!

16. Jana February 28, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Thanks, Natalia. I replied with a post of my own here (http://aredheadartist.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-10-day-mommy-challenge.html) and I am now going to do a 10-day Mommy Challenge to put a little more effort into my appearance!

• Natalia March 1, 2013 at 9:49 am #

That’s great, I’ll check it out!

1. Fighting the Mom Funk: Organizing my Business Day - Blog + Biz - Rags to Stitches - February 21, 2013

[…] week my sweet friend Natalia wrote about fighting the mom funk + I found myself totally relating to what she was saying. It’s so easy to get into a mode […]

2. 7 Tips for Work/Life Balance at Home | Ma Nouvelle Mode - February 21, 2013

[…] is hard, wah wah wah!” I thought I’d set out on a mission to encourage other women to fight the mom funk that is sometimes really hard to […]

3. Joy in the everday: play outside. | The Homemakers Post - February 22, 2013

[…] Over my little week break from blogging, a little thing called joy perked it’s a little head up inside of me again. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t walking around for days in a horrible depression or anything serious, but I did feel like I was in a funk. Maybe you could call it a mom funk? […]

4. Copy Cat Closet ~ Animal Print | Ma Nouvelle Mode - February 27, 2013

[…] noticed how the way that you dress really can affect the way you feel for the day? Like when you stay in your sweats all day and then have to run an errand and that’s like the hardest errand in the world to […]

5. 5 Minute Make-Up for Moms | CloudMom - September 16, 2013

[…] that I’ve picked myself up out of that slump (for the most part – I still struggle!) I am out there to encourage busy, tired, amazing moms like you! All that’s to say, I am […]

6. My New Favorite Shoes | Ma Nouvelle Mode - October 1, 2013

[…] I’ve been making quite the effort lately to look cute every day, no matter what. So what if I only take & drop off my kids to school? So what if I’m working indoors most of the day? So what if I don’t leave the house… Sometimes you can get caught up in the mundane and forget that it’s important to take care of yourself. […]