7 Tips for Winter Hair Care

Baby, it’s cold outside. It’s snowing, or rainy, or windy. You know, it’s winter! And if you weren’t sure, check your Instagram or Facebook feed. I’m sure there’s quite a few weather forecasts floating around.

Just because you’re suffering with all of the freezing temperatures, why should your hair suffer too? It really shouldn’t! Don’t let the winter weather break down your hair & make it look unhealthy. So today I have a few things you can do to maintain that beautiful mane through the winter months.

7 tips for winter hair care

7 Winter Hair Care Tips

• Braids

3 winter braids

Hair tossed around by the wind & getting all ratted up isn’t healthy. But we want to stay cute! Braids are a perfect solution during the winter months. It’s cute & your hair won’t be beaten up as much. I have a quick tutorial on 3 simple braids that are perfect for winter. They easily can go under a hat or ear warmer!

• Buns

earwarmer with top knot

I know what you’re thinking. But your ears will be cold! Not if you have some super cute ear warmers! Then you can rock your regular top knot, you hair is protected, and your ears are warm. I got the braided ear warmer I’m wearing courtesy of the Knitting Nannies.

• Hats

put a hat on it

They really make sense. Keep your head warm & your hair safe? Yes please! But really, by wearing a hat you are protecting your hair from the wind & ice & snow or rain. You can also try wearing a hat with a side braid or ponytail (like the ones I shared above) to keep it all wrapped up.

• Moisturize

In winter the weather drys you out. It drys your skin, your lips, and even your hair. So keeping it moisturized is a must! I have used this Orofluido Elixir and it made my hair so soft & silky! Ouidad also has some amazing products. They cater to women with curly hair, but anyone can use it. This moisturizing styling gel would be a great one for winter.

• Deep Condition

Going along with the fact that your hair will dry out during winter, it is probably good to give it a good deep condition every once in a while, depending on how dry it is. You could head to the salon or DIY that baby at home. Ouidad has a good 12 minute deep treatment.

• Lay off the Heat

It’s actually a tough balancing act. You don’t want to subject your hair to more heat than necessarily which means more air drying, but you don’t really want to let your hair air dry because you don’t want to be sick during the winter months! Try washing your hair less (enter dry shampoo - here’s a good one) and blow drying a bit at the roots at night & sleeping with a braid.

• Static guard

Say what? Static guard? Yep. You know when your hair gets all static-y and you look a little bit like Medusa.  Just me? Well try spraying a little static guard on that bad boy, patting it down & rockin it. Sounds crazy, but it’ll work!

Well, that pretty much sums it up! I hope these are helpful tips during these very cold winter months. Have any tips of your own? Leave them in the comments!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

26 Responses to 7 Tips for Winter Hair Care

1. April February 7, 2013 at 7:28 am #

You know we don’t have cold winter weather here, our coldest day may be 40,  but the heater on at night dries my hair out like crazy!! I have honestly never thought of putting a little static gaurd on it! I am definitely going to try it. I do try not to blow dry too much, as it’s already pretty scary and dry. And I switched to a moisturizing shamp/cond that has helped alot as well.
    Thanks for such good tips!!
    -april

• Natalia February 7, 2013 at 9:54 am #

That’s funny, because I’m from Cali originally so before moving here I didn’t experience cold cold winter! I really hadn’t thought of something like this until recently! But it does help, I know my hair can become a ratted mess, so I try to keep them up! Thanks for your comment

2. hillary February 7, 2013 at 11:23 am #

You are So. Pretty. My fave is the ear-warmer with bun. I do that one a lot because it keeps everything out of my face!

• Natalia February 7, 2013 at 11:34 am #

You’re so nice, thank you! I am chopping my hair off next week!! YIKES!

3. Danielle Smith February 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

These are so dynamite!  You look fabulous… how is it being overseas???

• Natalia February 8, 2013 at 5:44 am #

Thank you, Danielle! Overseas this year is going really well. I like our city, it’s small & I can walk most places. The weather is cold, but not horrible, and we’re really close to Paris! All in all, we’re doing good! I hate missing out on things back home, but I’ll just have to capitalize on opportunities when I come back in May! If you’re ever in So Cal again, I’d love to hang out! It was so fun/inspiring the first time! :)

4. Kathleen@ Home Wasn't Built In A Day February 8, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I really need a good smoothing/silkening product because my hair is super harsh and frizzy, but I don’t really want to pay a huge amount of money just to give something a try and possibly not have it work for me. Do you have any cheaper products to recommend? Oh my gosh I’m so cheap!! Ha! And are these pictures of your new haircut? I am loving your bangs!! I have a hair apt tomorrow and I kinda want to get something super awesome instead of just a trim!

5. Sandy a la Mode February 11, 2013 at 10:08 am #

i want to do the braids! i need to teach myself!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

• Natalia February 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

So easy, Sandy, promise! One of them isn’t even a braid!

6. Carissa February 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

i pretty much live in braids and buns:)

• Natalia February 12, 2013 at 2:27 am #

Amen sista! Sportin’ a bun right now!

7. Ochena Bikel May 31, 2013 at 10:32 am #

I love winter but my hair don’t because of becoming frizzy and dry. Deep conditioning, moisturizing and egg mask works great for my hair :)

• Natalia May 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Yep! definitely a must have during the cold months!

8. Air Curler August 18, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Moisturizing seems like a constant factor for healthy hair in any weather conditions. Good post.

9. NatasHA August 20, 2013 at 7:25 am #

hEYa nATaLIe
    M FROm iNDIa N MaH PRoBlM iS mAh DrY FRizzY CURLs
    I loVe The vOlUmE (touchwOOD) oF My haiRs pLz teLl me N HeLP Me oUT To seArcH A cHeAp yEt EFFecTivE pRoDuCt VcH Vl Jst iMpRoViSe my cUrlS :)

• Natalia August 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Probably a moisturizing conditioner like Ouidad would be good. ANd maybe a leave in conditioner every once in a while. It’s best to just try some out and see what works for you!

10. jenny October 9, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Once you have your hair moist, lock in the moisture by running your hair through cold water, this will also give your hair an extra shine.

Don’t go outside with your hair wet, you risk breakage; your hair will freeze if it’s cold enough outside and may break. Limit your use of “hot” items on your hair such as a blow dryers and curling irons.

• Natalia October 11, 2013 at 7:20 am #

These sound like great tips, thanks for adding them!

11. Wonderlust November 16, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Your hair isn’t covered under your hat in the photo. Just thought I’d point that out.

• Natalia November 17, 2013 at 4:57 am #

Thanks for pointing that out. I really meant that the hat would protect your hair from flying around all over the place and truly being exposed to the elements. But you’re right, it’s still somewhat exposed. You got me!

12. Nina Holmlut January 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

Your hair is just gorgeous! I wish I could also use some of those beautiful braids, but my hair is too short… :/

13. Julia February 4, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Thanks for sharing these great tips. I usually have a dandruff problem in winter. For me i think it is due to my dry skin. For dandruff i give my hair a hot oil treatment. I use virgin olive oil and coconut oil to give my hair a hot oil treatment. Hot oil massaging is best way to get rid of dandruff and to repair damaged hair in winter. Apply directly on damp hair and cover your head with plastic cap. Then rinse thoroughly. Hope this will be helpful for you all.

1. 3 Winter Braids | Ma Nouvelle Mode - February 18, 2013

[…] week I wrote about some winter hair care tips and this was definitely one of them! It’s easy, still cute & protects your hair! So […]

2. Messy Top Knot for Short Hair | Ma Nouvelle Mode - March 22, 2013

[…] Wasn’t that easy? Now you’re all ready for spring/summer to roll around! If it’s still cold where you are, just add an ear warmer like I used here. […]

3. 7 Winter Hair Care Tips | hairideaz - December 12, 2013