Copy Cat Closet – Mixing Patterns & Colors

You know you’re a fashion blogger when… you can take pictures in public because there’s a cool backdrop and not care what anyone thinks.

Well, I must not be a fashion blogger then.

I felt cute this day. I was wearing a skirt & tights. I actually did my makeup (a rarity these days) and I put a little effort into my hair.

Then we were walking home from school and I saw this beautiful wooden garage door type thing. There was no one around, it was perfect!

“Tae wait!” I said. “Can you take a picture really fast?”

Now I guess to any child of a blogger taking pictures to document almost every aspect of life is not that abnormal. Tae has taken quite a few of my outfit posts. He was my very first photographer!

I took off my jacket, dropped in on the ground with my purse really fast. Made Eli go stand next to Tae so he didn’t get in the way.

“Now go Tae! Take the picture!”

He snapped two, one of which was usable, and then people started staring. I lost my gusto, put my jacket away, and walked shamefully back to the apartment…

Here’s what he got. patterns & colors

Luckily for me, it worked for Copy Cat Closet challenge this week! Alissa from Rags to Stitches (she’s also over on the side bar—> check her out!) so graciously challenged us to mixing patterns and colors. I love this idea, it opens up your wardrobe to so much potential!

Here’s Alissa’s look for inspiration:

mixing color & patterns

How cute is she?! And she mixes the patterns so wonderfully. Here are a few tips she gives when mixing patterns & colors:

• When mixing patterns and colors try to find pieces with coordinating colors.
~ For example, the diamond pattern in my colored denim has green in the center that matches my tank, and the outside of the diamond has brown that matches my sweater, then the blue in my plaid shirt matches the blue stripe edge in my sweater.
  • Mixing patterns work better when one pattern doesn’t stand out as much as the other.
~ For example, the diamond pattern in my colored denim is a small and less noticeable pattern so it doesn’t conflict with the larger plaid pattern of my top.
  • Experiment with what’s in your closet.
  • Be confident – Beauty comes with confidence + if you confidently show off your mixed patterns + colors people will love your outfit as much as you do.

I know I wrote this in the e-mail, but can I just get an AMEN to that last point? Confidence is what makes outfits work!!

If you’re wondering what CopyCat Closet is, it’s a weekly e-mail that is sent out on Thursdays with a style challenge/inspiration. You can then recreate a look & make it work for you and what you have in your wardrobe. Then come back here or to Kelley’s place on Wednesday and link up said cute outfit! Browse around to some other styles inspirations to see what people have come up with!

If you weren’t able to create the challenge/inspiration outfit, we’d still love to have you link up! The link up is open to all fashion related posts, so join in!

If you’d like to be a part of it, you can sign up here:

And before we look at all your beautiful link ups, I wanted to tell everyone that we’re having a Twitter party on Monday, January 21st with Radiant Cosmetics! If you don’t know about them, go take a look at their site. They sell beautiful beauty products and support women caught up in human trafficking. This month is human trafficking awareness month & we’re doing our part by hosting this party! There will be prizes, good conversations, & fun so we hope you join! Tomorrow we will have the link up, so make sure to come back!

Now, it’s time to show off what you put together!! Link up below or with Kelley at The Grant Life, visit some fellow ladies & share the love!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

20 Responses to Copy Cat Closet – Mixing Patterns & Colors

1. Christina @ Christina's Adventures January 16, 2013 at 7:15 am #

haha I love the story behind the picture :)  that’s totally something that I would do!!  you look fab :)

• Natalia January 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

It’s intimidating! But I love my city, it’s so pretty! I need to just stop caring, but I still kinda do. I mean, I don’t know any of them, that’s for sure!

2. christina January 16, 2013 at 10:48 am #

this is super cute! and you cut your hair, right? nice =) I LOVE your description of this photo shoot!!! it just doesn’t seem like you’d be embarrassed about that, but I totally always am. I always think it makes me look like I’m all “yeah, I’m hot and awesome” which is why I couldn’t even post pictures of outfits on my blog before you started doing this challenge – it’s my perfect excuse! I mean, I’m still a little weirded out by it because I still don’t want people to think I think that, but I don’t think that when other people post, so… I guess maybe it’s just their problem if they do =)

• Natalia January 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Actually, I didn’t cut my hair, it’s tucked into my scarf. It’s SOOOOO long that it needs to be cut. And I think the same way. I don’t want to do the pictures because it makes me feel like I think I should be a model or something, which I do not! I am still weirded out by it too, no matter how hard I try. But my city is really pretty & I want to get out there and take some pics in it! I’m determined to try!

3. Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark January 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Tell me about it.. I hate taking pictures in public – I get so embarrassed!! Whenever someone passes us out on the street – I literally make my husband wait until they’ve come & gone. And I always just KNOW they’re judging me.. even though they’re totally not (or maybe a little) Anyways – I LOVE your outfit – especially the purple tights! Oh & P.S. you live in Europe which practically enforces you to take outfit pictures! Embrace it girl – you’re gorgeous!! :)
    xoxo,

Nikki at http://www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

• Natalia January 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Um seriously!! The city is so pretty & very typically French. I love it! But I’m such a wuss, I do the same thing you said your doing!! I’m pretty sure one guy walked by & was kinda staring, like what the heck? Maybe I should just act like I’m kinda a big deal in America & they just don’t know about it. haha!

4. Leigh Anne January 16, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Loved your photo story! Its always funny to know the behind the scenes :)
    I am not a fashion blogger, but I’m pretty sure I would do the same thing as you. Gonna have to get some patterns out of my closet & mix it up!

• Natalia January 16, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Thanks! Ya, it was pretty funny. I don’t know why I care, I don’t know any of these people! Somehow still I do!

5. Amanda January 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I still haven’t worked up the nerve to take outfit photos in public. I think it’s because I have my nice fenced-in backyard as a crutch. I really should attempt it sometime. Though the idea of trying to inconspicuously wield tripod and remote in a public place is a bit daunting. Perhaps I can rope the boy into playing photog one weekend.
    Love your skirt! :)

• Natalia January 17, 2013 at 4:05 am #

When I was in California I had that! I rarely took outfit pictures outside my home. But now I have to work up the nerve since we live in an apartment on the 2nd floor! But I am heading to Paris in a week & a half with a girlfriend who I know will take some pictures for me! That will be fun!

• Amanda January 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Ahh! Paris! I think I’d get over my public-photo-taking phobia if I had such a backdrop as Paris. Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

• Natalia January 18, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Oh I will! & I’ll be with a friend, so she can take some for me! yay!!

6. Amanda January 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

You look great Natalia! If it makes you feel better, I feel weird about getting my photo taken IN my house. Your son has some skills by the way!

• Natalia January 17, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Me too, it’s a weird thing. But now my apartment is small & not very interesting for pictures, so I have to go outside, but it’s harder to find time to do that! I guess I Just need to make it work!

7. Tina @ My Highest Self January 18, 2013 at 6:50 am #

Oh my gosh I can’t believe you got your three year old to take a photo of you, that was so awesome!! Why didn’t I think of that?? I love the photo you got for this post and thanks for showing that you are human and still get shy/nervous/embarassed, it really helps someone like me who’s just starting out with outfit photos. It’s SO difficult to figure out how to get a decent photo at home with two kids.

• Natalia January 18, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Actually my 5 year old took that. Although he started when he was 4. :) Photos are hard & kinda embarressing! But it is good motivation to get dressed & take care of ourselves. For me at least! Go get it girl, you can do it!

8. Tiff Ima January 28, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Haha it is scary sometimes….It’s worse when you are using a tripod!

• Natalia January 29, 2013 at 12:43 am #

I bet it would be! Haven’t done that yet!

1. What I Wore: Winter Mint | Dragonflight Dreams - January 16, 2013

[…] up with The Pleated Poppy, Create Hope Inspire, Transatlantic Blonde, Ma Nouvelle Mode and Two Thirty-Five Designs. […]

2. A Frugal Life: Shopping Your Wardrobe « The Homemakers Post - January 16, 2013

[…] I will be linking up with Natalia over at Ma Nouvelle Mode for another week of copy cat closet. The fashion challenge this week was mixing patterns and […]