Chic Up-do

Okay, so I’m back! To semi-normal! If you read yesterday’s post, you know that we had been a bit busy. Seriously, I am still adjusting to the time change! I am still a little behind & it’s gonna take me a week or so to get caught up. But I’m cool with that, cuz this is life, right? Blink and you miss it, so no apologies, let’s just do this!

I have a hair tutorial today! One that I did a while back and actually shared over at 30 Handmade Days where I am the beauty contributor. It is very easy and I am certain any of you could do it.

big low chignon text

In fact, I think it’s so easy, I’ve made a step-by-step pinable version for you! If you feel like you’d like to see a video version of this tutorial, please give me  a shout out! I’ll see what I can do! Here’s how I break it down.

bun & half up tutorial550

Okay, so you do a half-up hairstyle like I showed you here. Then you create volume by back-combing or teasing the rest of the hair that is left down. Then just take all that hair and roll it upward toward your head. When you have it all there, secure with bobby pins into the half-up section of the style.

The front becomes a very vintage-y and the back is a chic & classic bun!
big low bun front

I am trying to debunk the myth that cute, chic, classic hairstyles (or any hairstyles for that matter!) have to be hard & intimidating! If you search through my hairstyles archive, I am certain you could find a few that will definitely work for you within your ‘expertise.’ I encourage you to try one of them!

big chignon

I hope you enjoyed this style & give it a try! I’d love it if you pinned or shared it too! Here are some of my favorite styling products that I like to use. I have either tried them all personally or they have come highly recommended by professionals. Enjoy!

Oh and I totally bailed on Copy Cat Closet this last week. My life was insane, I really hope you understand! But stay tuned because next week I have a special treat for you! :)

Have a wonderful day!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, , , ,

15 Responses to Chic Up-do

1. Leigh Anne January 8, 2013 at 7:56 am #

This looks so nice and polished!  So did you just secure the top and bottom portions with only bobby pins?  My hair is so heavy and it never seems like enough hold.  Maybe I’m not using enough of them?   So glad u r back!  What a crazy/fun time you had.  What a dream to be able to live in France!

• Natalia January 8, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Hi! Yes, I secured it both with bobby pins. My hair is long and semi-heavy & it worked for me. It does take quite a few & putting them in the right places. I pinned from the inside out and then did the top. Hope this helps!

2. Kathleen @Home Wasn't Built In A Day January 8, 2013 at 8:37 am #

That is a really pretty hairstyle! I am trying all the ones you’ve posted lately and I have decided I need to buy a teasing comb! My regular old comb doesn’t do it, ha!

• Natalia January 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

It’s so true that having the right utensils definitely makes a difference! I hope you like them!

3. Alex January 9, 2013 at 4:54 am #

Very pretty and looks quite simple. But my favourite part is the colour of your hair. It’s beautiful.

• Natalia January 9, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Thank you! Glad you like it!

4. Anita January 11, 2013 at 8:27 am #

I love all your hairstyles but I have such trouble trying to follow them.  I have very thick, wavy/curly hair.  Are there any tips for this hair always in a ponytail girl??  Have you always just been amazing with hairstyles and makeup?  Thanks :)

• Natalia January 11, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

hhmmm well my hair is thick and kinda wavy but not really curly. I am working on a curly hairstyles post/series. I would try teasing it, lots of bobby pins, mastering the technique of the bobby pin. Do you have trouble following them because they’re hard, I do a bad job explaining or your hair type? If it’s cuz i do a bad job, how do you think I could do better? I want to be helpful! :)

5. Anita January 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

No, you do a great job!!  I think I have bobby pin issues.  Maybe do a video on how to use them correctly for great hair style want to be’s like me :-).  Love all your blogs!!  Keep it up!!!

• Natalia January 13, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Yes, that sounds like a good idea! I think I’ll try that!

6. ashley @ little miss momma January 14, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Can I just say that your blog is super fab!
    You seriously post about every skill that i lack! I need to learn how to do my hair more than 1 way! And now i have you! xoxo!

Love all these updo ideas :)

xoxo, ashley

• Natalia January 15, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Thank you Ashley! I’m no expert, but I just like to have fun with it! And as a momma of two boys, I don’t have a ton of time, so they all should be able to be done pretty quick!

Thanks for your compliments! :)

7. Annette January 21, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

This hair style looks so elegant and classy. I need to try this!
    Your hair is wonderful and shiny.
    Love,
    Annette

• Natalia January 22, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

1. 12 Buns for the Holidays | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 10, 2013

[…] This is honestly one of my all-time favorites. I mean, I’m all about messy & right out the door kind of styles, but this one is very classy & chic. Very Audrey Hepburn. It takes a little more skill as far as pinning goes, but other than that, it’s still pretty easy. If you need some help with how to use bobby pins, here’s a tutorial. Also you can find the play-by-play for this one here. […]