Focused

A word. Just one word to describe what you want your year to look like. Or something you’d like to do or achieve in that year.

Last year my word was “balance.”

balance1 (1)

What a great choice that was. Did I achieve it?

Nope.

Did I try? Do I continue to try?

Yep.

Balance is funny like that. I don’t think there is ever a time in your life where you can say “Okay, that’s it! I’m balanced. We’re good here, moving on.”

Specially as a mom. I mean, I don’t know about you but how many hats do you have to wear?

Chef.

Maid.

Manager.

Supervisor.

Lover.

Friend.

Fight breaker-upper.

And many, many more.

So this year, I’m going for a different word. It is actually kind of opposite in a sense. Because as good as balance was, it’s definitely something I am going to be working on for the rest of my life. I’m sure of it. So this year’s word is:

seine river - focus

As I am sitting here looking at my word, I am thinking of all the other words I could have chosen.

Adventure – to get out there and make adventures for me and my family.

Bravery – don’t be shy or scared when speaking French or making this world my own.

Explore – there’s so much to see around here!

Love – just love on my kids & husband. Because they’re pretty stinkin’ cool.

Reach out – start to think more outside myself and of others & their needs & wants.

Well, I suppose the list could go on. And I suppose it will every year. But I chose focus because I want to accomplish things. I have goals & dreams and sometimes I’m such a scattered brain I don’t get anything done because I can’t focus on the task in front of me.

Could I put organizing on that list too?

But I feel like if I set tasks & focus to get them done, whether it’s in the kitchen, on the blog, crafts with the kids, I will get them done instead of putting them off for whatever reason.

So there it is. I am going to work on being focused in 2013 — among other things.

What is your word for 2013 and why’d you choose it?

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Bring it on 2013!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

16 Responses to Focused

1. Anna December 31, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Hey! I have been following your blog for a few weeks now and really enjoy how down to earth you guys are. My word for 2013 would have to be “contentment.”  I think a woman is truly beautiful when she has a contented and sweet spirit, like in 1Peter… “A gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of the Lord.” Sure, hair and clothes and makeup are fun, and we should use them to put our best self forward, as it were.  But a beautiful, well-groomed woman with a bad attitude who always whines is just not attractive!!
    We are in a state of transition too … My husband finishes a LONG road of training, and we will be moving and making a bajillion decisions about housing and whether or not I go back to work part time and all sorts of things, but I want to have an attitude of thankfulness and contentment with whatever The Lord provides… Cause I know it will be WAY more awesome than what I could dream and scheme for!
    Also, I’m so excited for your family and the adventure of living overseas. I grew up in Spain, and it was very much a part of who I am today. Not to mention your kids being totally fluent in French in like two weeks :)

• Natalia December 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I like contentment! It’s kinda like balance in that we’re always working on it. I totally understand & I hope I portray that on the blog. The fact that ya, I like beauty & hair & fashion and I write about them because it’s fun for me. But there is so much more to life. And to find contentment in your situation and not compare to others is huge! It makes all the difference in enjoying life and living in the moment. Living in France has a lot of cool things but there are some things that are a huge bummer as well. I try to choose to focus on the good and the fun instead of the bad because I don’t want to miss it. We won’t live here forever and I want to enjoy it not always wish I was somewhere else & miss it! Thanks for your comment & let’s practice contentment together! Happy New Year!

2. Renee December 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I’ve been inspired.  I think that I will go with “Discover” this year.  There is so much to learn and do.  This year I will venture on discovering all that life has to offer.  Thanks for the inspiration!

• Natalia December 31, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

I am so glad you liked it! I saw someone else said ‘intentional’ I liked that one too. I guess there are lots of words! Here’s to 2013!

3. Sharon Siqueiros December 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

~wow~
     Focus was my word/goal for 2012…..
    Last night I was thinking Balance will be my word/goal for 2013…..I swear…..
    Life is so serendipitous!!!

• Natalia January 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

That is so funny! How did you do with focus? Any tips for me? Good luck on balance for this year!

4. Allison January 2, 2013 at 5:05 am #

Thanks for the inspiration! I love this idea! I decided on “push it” as a kind of motto for the year! I want to push myself outside of my comfort zone. Hopefully having this motto will help me stay focused when things get tough. I like that unlike resolutions, a word (or motto in my case) is much easier to remember all year long. Happy New Year!

• Natalia January 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Totally agree. And push it is a great one, it can apply to a lot of different situations. Love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

5. Nichole January 2, 2013 at 7:52 am #

I just discovered your blog through Mama Kat. But I am glad I did. You inspired me today. My word is “present.”

• Natalia January 5, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

That is a great word too! I want to present in my kids lives while they are young (well, always for that matter) – definitely a great choice!

6. Emily @ My Pajama Days January 3, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Focus is a great word – as is balance – perhaps by being more focused you will find the balance. Being a wife and mother is a juggling act every day, which makes it hard to balance. After all – doesn’t balance require stillness? I don’t know about you, but there are few moments in my day that are truly still. Have a wonderful 2013!

• Natalia January 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

That makes perfect sense to me. If I focus more on what I’m doing I will be able to balance tasks & get things done. Good thing life is a journey – always working to improve!

7. christina January 11, 2013 at 9:02 am #

I like this! great word =)

1. Writer’s Workshop – I’m doing it! « My thought exactly…! - January 3, 2013

[…] by for the year. Choose a word for 2013 and tell us why you chose it. ( I like how Natalia from Ma Nouvelle Mode had hers come full circle this year.) 2.) Share any blogging tips you picked up in 2012. 3.) Do […]

2. {Writer’s Workshop} FOCUS « meandmyspicylife - January 15, 2013

[…] by for the year. Choose a word for 2013 and tell us why you chose it. ( I like how Natalia from Ma Nouvelle Mode had hers come full circle this […]