How to: Ballerina Bun

Heeellllooooo everyone!

I am seriously having the greatest day. I got a campaign with a big company that is super duper awesome, it’s my husband’s birthday (as I write this, 12/4), and I’m moving to Paris in a couple weeks!  Yikes, wait, the last one kinda stresses me out a little bit… One day at a time. Deeeep breaths…

On to the hair tutorial today. It’s a super fun one and my new favorite! The ballerina bun! If you missed the others, here they are:

I’m gonna be honest with you. This style was intimidating at first. To get this perfect round bun with my long layered hair — and with a sock? But I finally tried it and I did it and it was fabulous and now I love it! Oh and I didn’t use a sock. I used a bun maker type thing. In this post & in the video I show two different ways to achieve this look, one of them is bound to work for you! So without further adieu….

Ballerina Bun

The ‘sock’ bun

Big Chic Bun with Braid

This is the second version. If you can’t figure out how to get all your hair perfectly around your sock or bun enhancer, this is the perfect look for you. It’s easy and anyone can do it. I added the braid to dress it up a bit, but you could very easily do it without the braid & it will still be fabulous!

Well, what do you think? Will one of these looks work for you? I think they are perfect for the holidays or anytime really! Watch the video to see how I did both looks & you can subscribe to my channel here. Have a great day!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, , , , , ,

27 Responses to How to: Ballerina Bun

1. Jenn December 5, 2012 at 7:39 am #

How do you get your upside down braid to look so nice! My hair is heavy so it tends to fall down with gravity in .5 minutes.
    Found your blog through Sugar Bee’s link up and I love it!

• Natalia December 5, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Secure it tightly at the top? I have a lot of hair and it’s long, but it’s not that heavy. I mean, more so than others, but I’ve seen heavier! Just make sure you have some good elastics and secure tightly!

• Jenn December 5, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Maybe I need new elastics! Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep practicing!

2. Jennifer December 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Excellent video! I too recently bought one of these bun helpers a few weeks ago and wore it out for our trip to Chicago (I wanted that chic city feel, which worked, but it made my ears cold b/c all of my hair was up! ;)

As for the first style: My hair is medium-long right now (just above my breasts) and yes, it is still messy when I roll it into the bun enhancer as well. Even though mine is not as long as yours, you had an interesting way of rolling it, which I might try just because of the layers tend to be a pain to roll in from all the way at the end. The only way I was able to make the look almost perfectly smooth was with semi-damp hair (which I learned for when I used the sock bun for curls).
    The second style: Thanks for showing me the teasing of the hair first, that looks more manageable. I was having some trouble twisting it around mainly because it was a new technique and I was being awkward and clumsy with it, I’ll have to see if teasing it makes is better, which I think it might.
    With that hair poof/bump you get in the back, I just twisted it into itself like a French Twist, and pinned it up. Your braid is pretty though. :)

Glad to hear you are having such an awesome week! What exciting opportunities for you and your family, stay safe and congratulations.

• Jennifer December 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Okay, I just tried rolling it the way you did in the first technique – so much better! So, even if my hair isn’t as long, I’d say this method works very well – it’s easier to manage the layers, and keep things looking good (it’s actually not as messy this time around). Thanks again for the tips!

• Natalia December 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

You’re welcome! Glad it worked better for you. I found it a lot easier too. Such a fun look!

• Natalia December 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Glad you worked this out! Thanks for your comments!

3. Amanda Fouts December 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I love both of them. I really want to try the beehive version. I just need to buy one of those bun maker things. Hopefully Ill be able to do it…my hair is medium length and not very thick. You should do a copy cat hair link up…haha, except my versions would probably be hilarious. Anyways, thanks for the great tutorial!

-Amanda.

• Natalia December 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Hey that’s a good idea! What a fun way to challenge people to try new things with their hair. Yes, you must get one of those bun enhancer things, they work great. And it sounds like your type of hair would work perfectly!

4. elly December 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I soo have that book here in the sewing room. Gifted from my mom when we did crafts together. Cant wait to see inspiration from PARIS!!!

• Natalia December 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Hope Paris provides lots of inspiration!

5. Brianna December 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

You’re moving to France again?! Woopee!! You might even be there when my husband and I go! (I’m the one who emailed you about Paris during Christmas. Two weeks and we’ll be there too!) I love the bun on you! I have tried the braid and it always turns out a disaster. I think I just need practice. :)

Bri

• Natalia December 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Yes, we’ll be there for Christmas!! I thought of you too! So fun! I can’t wait, I bet you can’t either. I think it is going to be fabulous. Maybe I’ll see you ice skating in front of Hotel de ville!

6. Sandy a la Mode December 10, 2012 at 10:52 am #

i wish i had the time to do this!! love it!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

• Natalia December 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

It takes all of like 5 minutes really! You should try it! :)

7. Melanie December 11, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

I love your videos–such awesome hairdo’s and you make it seem so easy! Do you have any suggestions on where to find that bun thing? I looked at a few of my local stores and can’t seem to find it! I’ve tried using the sock before and it just doesn’t work :( Thanks!

• Natalia December 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

I bought mine at my local Sally’s beauty supply. I also had a link in the post if you wanted to buy it online. You know what, I think I’ve seen them at Target too! Here is the link for the one I had in the post: http://beso.ly/rd/4285985942?a=431610&p=1

8. Gloria M December 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Hello  I just saw ur ballerina bun tutorial .. It was great I purchased bun thing and I received so many ooooo’s and awwwww’s at work it was great. Plus I am a new mom and barley have any time to do anything. This was fast and easy.

• Natalia December 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Oh I am sooo glad you loved it! I feel the same way – like no time at all and people feel like you spend all morning doing it! And being a mom is hard, so finding ways like this are perfect!

9. ines peralta pino May 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Hello I love your blog. wanted to consult you if the tail rotor to make the purchases so as called
      kisses

1. Copy Cat Closet – Holiday wear! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 18, 2012

[...] Ballerina bun two ways [...]

2. Christmas party outfit in real life « The Homemakers Post - December 19, 2012

[...] Copy Cat Closet. I went ahead and took on one of her hair challenges as well, and tried out her ballerina bun tutorial for the first time. Totally fool-proof, and [...]

3. 9 ways to Style Blunt Bangs | Ma Nouvelle Mode - November 8, 2013

[…] Slick your hair straight back and secure with mousse or even a light weight gel. Wear it in a ponytail or ballerina bun. […]

4. Easy Updos: Pass on the Ponytail - Savvy Sassy Moms - January 16, 2014

[…] Ballerina bun Low braided twist DIY Crown braids  2 Minute updo tutorial Fishtail top knot hair tutorial Upside down French braid bun Waterfall braided bun by Christina of Hair Romance Grown Up Topsy Tail tutorial by Martha Lynn Kale, photos by Kate LeSueur for Camille Styles  […]

5. Braids Braids Braids! - Petit Elefant - January 29, 2014

[…] Flip your hair upside down and braid it! It adds a fun texture to it and dresses up a simple bun or ponytail. It might look complicated, but if you can French braid, then you can do it. Like I said, just flip your head over and French braid all the way to wear you want to put the bun and continue the braid all the way to the end of the hair just so it doesn’t loosen up the braid in the back. Then secure with a ponytail holder & then you can let the rest of the braid loose. Create the bun or ponytail you want with it and you’re done! Here’s the full tutorial. […]

6. Quick and easy braided hairstyle ideas - April 4, 2014