Boho Chic Pony

I have another ponytail tutorial for you today! A while back I ‘modeled’ for a photo shoot that was featured on Style Me Pretty, a popular wedding blog. The hairstylist did this cool boho looking ponytail and I loved it! I loved it so much I just had to recreate it. Since I am on some kind of ponytail kick – I might as well add to it!

Here is the look from the photoshoot:

Here is my recreation of how to do it:

• Curl the top layer of hair with the rest of your hair messy/curly. Mine was kind of curling from no heat curls the night before.
  • Tease your hair starting just past your bangs on top, back to where you will secure your ponytail
  • Gather your hair in place where you want it, not tight at all, and secure with an elastic.
  • Pull tight, then pull out strands as needed to create a “messy on purpose” type of look.
  • Wrap an extra piece of hair around the elastic.
  • You’re done!

This is a simple look for a casual day or dress it up a bit by just changing your outfit! I feel like it’s a look that can go both ways.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and if you did, feel free to pin away!

Have a happy Monday!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, ,

39 Responses to Boho Chic Pony

1. Kelly October 29, 2012 at 7:37 am #

This is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!  I love it!

2. Lindsay October 29, 2012 at 7:40 am #

ok, first off your hair looks gorgeous!!! i am kicking myself in the butt for cutting mine. i have decided i LOVE my longer hair better.
    secondly, aarika just got me a wand like the one you used, where it goes from fat to skinnny. for the life of me i cannot figure it out. i tried it last night and it looked terrible. i know it isnt because i have medium length hair because it works for aarika. any suggestions?!?! your hair looks gorgeous!! seriously…totally jealous!! :) :)

• Natalia October 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

I hold the wand out to the side when I curl so it won’t slip off, or even up, with the thinner part in the air. Because the hair falls off the curling iron. I also start with wavy/curlish hair so if I miss some it’ll be okay. And that way I don’t have to curl as much, you know? Thank you though! It’s too long right now, but I’m too broke to cut it! haha

3. Yuri October 29, 2012 at 8:24 am #

How pretty! love this look!

4. Kat October 30, 2012 at 7:19 am #

You seriously have the best hair.

• Natalia October 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Thank you! It’s a little too long right now, but trying to make it work!

5. Hilary Biggart October 30, 2012 at 7:29 am #

I have major hair envy! It looks beautiful, and I will definitely be trying it out soon.

• Natalia October 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

cool, glad you like it! It’s a fun one to try!

6. Carissa October 30, 2012 at 8:44 am #

love it, your hair is gorgeous. I wear my hair in some sort of pony tail probably every day! I love this look

• Natalia October 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

I am so glad you liked it! Nice way to vamp up a ponytail!

7. nat October 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

I love this! You are so gorge! Just found you through Kimmie’s WIWU link party and I’m sure glad I did! New follower to your fab blog!

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

I am so glad you liked it!! It’s always fun to have messy hair on purpose, right? I always love making new friends, so I’m glad you found me!

8. Peggy October 31, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Just stopping by to invite you to My Wednesday Linky party. http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/10/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-linky-party-6.html

9. Debbie S. October 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Love it come and join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

10. Samantha November 1, 2012 at 6:15 am #

This is so cute! I feel like I always wear my hair in a boring ponytail. I’m excited to try this.

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

I am so glad you liked it!!

11. Thalita November 1, 2012 at 6:28 am #

First of all you are GORGEOUS. Holy moly. My hair is slightly longer than yours right now, and I have been putting off getting it cut for almost 6 months! I let it grow for my wedding (and ended up having an up-do!) and I have not cut it since. This is such a gorgeous way to make my too-long hair look and feel like it’s not just a mop sitting on my head! Thanks for the great tutorial!!

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

I am so glad you like it! Trying to think of cute, easy creative ways to do your hair!

12. Ilene @ Much Love, illy November 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

you are so gorgeous – and i am digging this boho ponytail look!

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Thank you, you are too sweet!

13. Sandy a la Mode November 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

this is soo soo beautiful, i love it!! must try it soon!!
    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

14. Tea Rose Home November 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Very pretty! Thank you for the excellent tutorial!

15. Jessi @ Practically Functional November 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Wow, what a great ponytail! Now I kinda miss my long hair :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

16. Amanda November 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Seriously love your hair! I want mine that length, getting there slowly. I’m tryin this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

• Natalia November 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

It’s so easy & fun! I love this style. Tweet me a pic tomorrow, can’t wait to see it!

17. lauren November 16, 2012 at 7:35 am #

very pretty!!

18. Elizabeth H April 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

You are a beautiful genius! This is my new favorite blog. :)

• Natalia April 18, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Oh you’re so sweet! Thank you so much! I am really glad you enjoy it!

1. The Boho Chic Ponytail | Long Hair Styles How To - December 22, 2012

[…] source […]

2. DIY Hair Roundup – 5 Easy Tutorials | The Clutch Guide - August 7, 2013

[…] Ma Nouvelle Mode shows you how to make a chic pony tail. […]

3. Hill City Bride | Lynchburg Wedding Bridal Blog » Blog Archive » DIY Hairstyles – 5 Easy Tutorials - August 7, 2013

[…] Ma Nouvelle Mode shows you how to make a chic pony tail. […]

4. 7 HAIRSTYLES TO TRY THIS FALL | Best Friends For Frosting - November 24, 2013

[…] boho chic ponytail tutorial is a simple look for a casual day. Or go the other route and dress it up a bit just by changing […]

5. Top 10 Flowing DIY Boho Hairstyles - January 21, 2014

[…] Tutorial and photo credit to manouvellemode.com […]

6. 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - July 1, 2014

[…] Boho Ponytail […]