10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail

So it seems like everyone liked the ‘13 ways to wear your bangs‘ post I did a week or so ago, I thought I might stay along those lines! So today I have 10 creative ways to wear a ponytail.

We all do it. Busy morning. Barely finished your breakfast. Coffee got cold. Kid’s hair is an afro (maybe that’s just me…). And inevitably your hair ends up thrown up the quickest way possible – the ponytail.

I don’t judge. I’m sitting right there next to you in the chair labeled guilty. It’s easy, it’s fast, it’s practical. So instead of beating ourselves up about it, let’s just cuten them up a bit. Is ‘cuten’ even a word? I don’t think so, but we’re gonna roll with it! So without further adieu: 10 cute ways to wear a ponytail.

10 Ways to Wear a Ponytail

Soft Swept Pony

Double Side French Braids

This one is for the punk rocker in you. I did a deep side part and did two French braids on the side with less hair. I braided the braids all the way to the end and wrapped them around the pony for a little extra touch.

Triple French Braids

When I first started this look, I thought I wouldn’t like it. Now I find myself trying to find excuses to wear it.  You do a big, chunky French braid on top and on each side. Secure the braids with bobby pins as you go and then secure the ponytail up high.

Topsy Turvy Pony

I love this simple, chic look.  All you do is secure your ponytail where you want it (mine was up high), then loose it a little and create a hole in your hair. Then loop your hair under, through the hole, & up and around so that your hair is like a waterfall over the top. You can tease at the base for a little more volume.

Add a headband!

This one is simple, right? Just add your favorite headband. And to make it more fun, just have your headband have some big feather (like mine) or rhinestones or something fun. It vamps up the look pretty fast! I teased my hair and poofed it up before I added the headband. Gotta love volume!

The loooong ponytail trick

Now, my hair is long. Too long if you ask me, but I haven’t had a chance to get to my girl to take some off, so long it is.  But I wanted to show you this trick so you can extend your ponytail. Start at the top and create a ponytail with most of your hair. Then with the rest, create a ponytail just under the top one. The ponytail will look a lot longer and the ponytail underneath is hidden. Perfect!

Messy Pony

If you’ve been on Pinterest lately, you’ll probably figure out that messy is in. This ponytail is piecey and messy on top. I just pulled it back with my fingers, really loosely, and held it where I wanted it while I secured the hair. Then pull out pieces as you need to or pin pieces in place. I pinned the front twisty poof.

Big Pompador

I didn’t want to recreate ponytails for each look of my 13 ways to wear your bangs because that’s pretty obvious, right? Of course I can just throw those into a pony. But this one I like because it’s pretty & classy. Just do the big pompador like you would on your hair normally. Twist and pin to secure it. Create a ponytail with the rest of your hair that’s down. Then wrap the top hair around the ponytail and secure with bobby pins.

Double Side Braids

This is easy. Just add two braids to the side. I messily pieced together the top because my hair was curly.  I also did this on both sides, but one side would be fun too.

Twisted Pony

Start by separating your hair from behind your ear all the way up. Keep that hair out & secure your ponytail. Then part where you want and twist all the way back and around the elastic. Same with the other side and you’re done!

Phew! There you have it! 10 creative ways to wear a ponytail. So take an extra 5 minutes this morning and try one of these!

Happy Monday! :)

Here are some other posts you might like:

boho ponytail

Boho Ponytail

24 ways to wear braids

24 Ways to Wear Braids

top knots

Ways to Wear Top Knots

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, , ,

97 Responses to 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail

1. Shirley@motivatedmommyoftwo October 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

I would to be able to see a video of thee techniques

• Natalia October 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

That’s a great idea! I’m gonna get on that soon!

• Mickey January 28, 2014 at 11:47 am #

I absolutely love these ideas! Its so hard trying to find ways to wear your hair for school without violating the school rules. Could you do a more school orientated hair tutorial, please?

• Natalia January 29, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

That sounds like a good idea! What kind of rules do you have for hair at school? I’ll start thinking of some ideas!

• RIYA JAIN June 18, 2014 at 12:21 am #

if u get the hairstyle plesae inform me. i want sme diffrent hairstyles. : ) .

2. Brandi October 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

my favorite is the double sided braid. But these are all great! thanks for the ideas!

• Natalia October 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Thank you! Glad you like them!

3. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box October 24, 2012 at 4:28 am #

Loads of great ideas that I’ve never seen anywhere else before. Love the long pony trick. Pinning :)

• Natalia October 24, 2012 at 6:23 am #

Thank you! I am so glad you liked them! :)

4. MaryBeth October 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you! I work in a coffee shop, so I wear my hair up nearly every day. I’m getting so tired of doing a plain braid or ponytail, so this is excellent to have more options. Made my day.

• Natalia October 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Oh I am so glad you liked it!! Thank you for your sweet comments! I hope these work for you!

5. Michele October 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

What great ideas! I’m always looking for new ideas for my girls. Love them all. You are beautiful!! ;)

• Natalia October 25, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Thank you, you are too kind! I hope your girls love these!

6. Rachel October 25, 2012 at 5:16 am #

Love these ideas and I love your blog! Yes, I too am guilty of throwing my hair up in a ponytail far too many mornings. Hopefully now I can “cuten” them up:)

• Natalia October 25, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I am glad you like them and I hope they work for you!!

• vaidz August 31, 2013 at 10:43 am #

yup these work on well… nic ways to tie a ponytail..

7. Grace @ Craftadon.com October 26, 2012 at 7:03 am #

I love the topsy-turvy look! I made a cheerleader costume for Halloween, and I think I’ll try this look for the party! Now, if I could just get my hair to perfectly curl in the pony like yours…

• Natalia October 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Oh perfect! Try the topsy turvy & tease it a big right out of the pony tail and it should have some volume in the flip. Hope it works!

8. K Coake October 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Love all the different ways you came up with…so cute.

9. Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Love all these ideas, especially that long ponytail trick! You look fabulous, as well. I have to wear a ponytail when I work, and I dislike it because it’s not quite my favorite look. But now I have these styles to try and have fun with! Thank you for sharing!

• Natalia October 29, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Oh I totally understand! I do it too much too. That’s why I tried to create some fun ways to wear them! Glad you liked it!

10. Claire October 31, 2012 at 3:15 am #

Thank you so much! I love the topsy turvy pony and the long pony tail! So simple and makes such a difference!
    Will have to learn how to do braids so i can do the rest…

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

You should try to learn some braids, it will add so much to your hair wardrobe! Glad you liked some of the choices!

11. Vanessa October 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Since I seem to LIVE in ponytails these days this post is perfect for me…wearing one right now of course! I really needed some ideas like this for taking them up a notch (or 2 or 3!) and I’m so glad you shared this with us last weekend at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

• Natalia November 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

I am so glad you liked it! I feel like we are probably all guilty of doing it from time to time, it’d be good to have cute ideas on how to wear them!

12. Erin December 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks for posting about this.  I just saw it on pinterest…question for ya.  It seems as though you have a lot of hair, i do too.  My hair is heavy and is hard to do anything with and i have a fear of buying product that doesn’t help my hair stay put!  I wondered if you use product and if so what kind? You don’t even have to go brand, if you could just tell me what type helps i would appreciate it!  Thanks!

• Natalia December 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

I do have a lot of hair! It’s is heavy & thick, but I have seen thicker. What I try to use is a volumizer like Kenra 13 or Aquage. I would stay away from using a smoothing cream like Moroccan oil or straightener because that could make it heavier. Do you have short or long hair? Oh and a good hairspray like kenra 25 or Bed Head or Big Sexy Hair would be great. Ones that are more of a solid hold. You can see a collection of products I put together of what I use in my hair here: http://www.beso.com/users/manouvellemode/collections/c19bdec1-0182-410b-95df-91ef897bd603 let me know if that link works for you. Not necessarily all at once, but good products to know about. Also, definitely tease your hair, that will help! I have a lot of hair tutorials going on now & I go over products & everything, so you can check those out! Hope this helps!

13. Emma December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

This is great! Pinned it! I am guilty of wearing my hair down almost all the time, because i don’t like the normal pony! Thanks for showing different ways to spice it up a bit! Will use all of this!! THANK YOU! :)

• Natalia December 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

I am so glad you liked it! It’s always nice to have new ideas!

14. Angel December 11, 2012 at 12:05 am #

These are great! I always wear my hair in a ponytail. It’s great to have options now. Thank you thank you! Btw, you look great in every single one of them. Cheers!

• Natalia December 11, 2012 at 7:28 am #

You’re so sweet, thank you! And yes, isn’t it nice to have options? I think so!

15. alisha December 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Do you do tips on eyelier I love how you wear yours :) thanks love love love your site..I cannot wait to try out some of your hairstyles. Can you tell me the brand agian of the rollers . And do you just have long layers in your hair? :) love this site

16. Elizabeth December 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

How do you prep your hair after you wash it? Blow dry? Mousse? I tried the French braid down the middle on your bangs post but the pieces ran together instead of being chunky… It ended up looking like a sloppy poof.. :(

• Natalia December 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I use a volumizing foam called Aquage. You can use any kind. Then I blow dry my hair upside down. Then try when you braid it to start with smaller sections & take smaller sections. You can also try some dry shampoo on off-wash days. And tease a bit too if you need to. Hope this helps!

17. Stephanie December 19, 2012 at 8:25 am #

I used to do that topsy turvey one the opposite way back in the 90s… there was this weird plastic wand tool and everything, lol. I’m going to have to try it this way now that I’m a grown up! :)

• Natalia December 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

I’ve seen those tool things! I think at Target they have them, how funny! Although you really don’t need them, it’s super easy on it’s own!

18. Shaughn December 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Wow! Thank you for the great ideas, I’m growing out my bangs and seem to put my hair in the same basic pony everyday, soon boring…your ideas are great and probably try each of them. Thank you again. You have very pretty hair.

• Natalia December 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Thank you! I am so glad you liked them! I wear my hair in a ponytail too I was just thinking how it’s still possible to be cute you know? Glad you like it! Thanks for your comments!

19. shahzeen January 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

hey, jus loved the above trendy triks, its amazing… :) Would love if u could suggest some nice braids style.

• Natalia January 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Thank you for the suggestion! I am actually working on it! :)

20. Jenny Benson January 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Hi~
    I am also a mother in a house full of boys! I have hair that seems very similar in color, length, and texture to yours. I usually have to straighten it though to get it to look good. I rarely pull my wavy hair into a pony tail as it never quite seems to lay how I want it to or stay unfrizzy! What types of products do you use to get your waves to look that good in a wavy pony tail? I would love to try anything you do as I think that with the right products I can get my hair to look as good as yours!
    Thank you!

• Natalia January 17, 2013 at 4:08 am #

You can try using a heat protective like Kenra has or Chi before you straighten it. You can also try using a smoothing cream after you’ve styled it. I use a John Freida which is on the less expensive end & I still like it. But Bumble & Bumble has a good one. I also have used a hair oil after getting out of the shower & before styling, so when my hair is still wet. My hair has never felt so smooth!! I ran out of that particular one & haven’t tried another yet. I hope this all helps a little! Let me know!

21. Jaye de Paulo February 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I’m so glad I found this! I really love the two ponytail trick, I tried it today, & it worked perfect, & I was happy with the way it turned out and looked. You have the greatest ponytail ideas ever! Thanks for this.

• Natalia February 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Thank you so much, I am so glad you liked them! Lots more tutorials around these parts if you want to browse around! :)

22. Jule February 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Oh Natalia, very beautiful – all of them.
    I’m a Great Fan of ponytail. Your ideas are Loreley. Will try topsy turvy Pony tomorrow! :-)
    Thanks! Jule from Germany

• Natalia February 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Thank you so much! I am glad you like them! Have fun with it :)

23. Kristin February 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

I love all these. Going to try a couple of them for work. I work in a pizza kitchen so I have to wear my hair back all the time and have a visor over it. Is there any others that would be good to wear a visor with that you can see its more then just a ponytail?

• Natalia February 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

Honestly, with a visor I would try some top knots, I have a post on different types of those (http://manouvellemode.com/2012/06/29/beat-the-heat-the-top-knot/). That way you can see the hair above your visor. You could also try a poof on top, or braid the pony tail or even a fishtail. I have three different braids, a post a recently did, (http://manouvellemode.com/2013/02/18/3-winter-braids/) and if you have long hair this would be perfect coming out of the visor. I hope this helps a little! I’ll be thinking about this one and let you know if I come up with anything else!

• Kristin March 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you so much!!! I love these!

• Natalia March 6, 2013 at 1:38 am #

You’re welcome! I am glad you like them!

24. LongBlondeHair March 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

LOVE the styles! I’ve been trying to figure out some new hair styles for my long blonde hair instead of a ponytail, straight, wavy, and braided. Thanks!! :)

• Natalia March 21, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Glad you liked them! Thanks!

25. rayya May 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

The double side french braid looks good!

• Natalia May 14, 2013 at 6:45 am #

Thank you! It’s kinda funky, but I like it too!

26. Nivi June 22, 2013 at 8:35 am #

All d hairstyles r jst awsme!! But wud u plz tell me a hairstyle wich i cn wear in my school…as v r nt suppose to leave our hair open in d school..nd m to bored to wear a plain ponytail evryday..thx..:)

27. Syrec June 22, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Could do with some tips for short hair. As I have short hair, these are impossible to do.

• Natalia June 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

I don’t have super short hair, but I’ll try to find a way to show some!

28. Bárbara July 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

I love the look of a ponytail on layered cut. Your hair is so thick and pretty!

• Natalia July 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Thank you! Sadly I have cut a lot since then! Thankfully, it grows fast!

29. Victoria August 2, 2013 at 4:38 am #

My hair’s a mess when I do the topsy turvy ponytail, is it supposed to be like that? But I love the hairstyles, very creative! I like ur hair too!

• Natalia August 2, 2013 at 7:41 am #

Thank you! Maybe try teasing the top to get it to stay in one place but then smoothing out the very top layer so it doesn’t look crazy. Then use the thin part of a teaser comb to part your hair behind the ponytail to flip it through. It shouldn’t be too messy! Although messy is ‘in’ so if you can’t get it smoother, just embrace it!! :)

• Victoria August 3, 2013 at 5:05 am #

Ur welcomed! But 4 the picture of the back of ur head, why does it look like u have the hair at the sides of ur head in the hole, too?

• Natalia August 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

That’s the way it looks when you twist it through. Give it a try!

• Victoria August 6, 2013 at 5:28 am #

Not really… I wish there was a video tutorial, but anyway, does ur ponytail keep falling down to the middle? Mine does.

• Natalia August 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

Mostly just tease & spray, tease & spray. That should help give you the hold you need. No video yet, but maybe sometime!

30. Jess August 5, 2013 at 9:36 am #

This would be MUCH easier to see the steps and what the hair looks like if it were done on a blonde model. It’s too hard to see with such dark hair!!

• Natalia August 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I’m sorry, I have dark hair, so I’ve got to work with what I’ve got!

• Jess August 6, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I just meant to try demonstrating it on different models with lighter colored hair, so you can see the designs a little better. These are all great.

• Natalia August 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Oh ya, that’s a great idea! I just need to find some models who will let me play around with their hair!

31. Mel August 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

This is really more for people who have GOOD and THICK hair.. I have long hair but it’s much thinner and stick straight and a lot of these just don’t work unfortunately..

• Natalia August 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Oh I disagree! I think quite a few of these could be done on any kind of hair! Have you tried them yet? Hopefully there are a few that work :)

• Mel August 27, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I will definitely try again as they all look great! Perhaps it’ll take a few tries to perfect them. My hair can be hopelessly stubborn though!

• Natalia August 30, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Sometimes it takes me a few times to perfect styles! And maybe use this as a base but adjust it as needed for your hair type. good luck! Hope it works out!

32. Sidney September 7, 2013 at 12:57 am #

How do you get your hair to actually stay IN the ponytail, especially the high ones? Mine always manages to fall out and ends up becoming a low ponytail.

• Natalia September 8, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Couple things – how tight do you tie it? or what type of elastic are you using? Maybe it’s not strong enough? I get the thick, ‘ouchless’ ones you can buy at Target or a beauty supply store. I wrap it 3 times and it works. I have pretty thick hair. Also, do you use any product? Maybe try adding a voluming gel like big sexy hair or John Freida. Here’s the links respectively: http://bit.ly/19oUH0x & http://bit.ly/17dcsQh – hope that helps!

33. Yasmin November 20, 2013 at 4:42 am #

Hi, i love all of your hare styls. I love ponytail’s but always when i do it my head looks realy big in it i don’t like it and sometimes it’s not even beautiful anymore do you have Somers tip’s for me.

• Natalia November 20, 2013 at 5:07 am #

Maybe try a slicked back pony tail, tight to your head. Then it won’t make anything look bigger? Worth a shot! Good luck!

34. Nancy December 24, 2013 at 6:58 am #

these tips are awesome………………………………. you are best!!!!!!!!!! Natalia

• Natalia December 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Glad you like it! :)

35. ann July 22, 2014 at 9:32 am #

thanks a lot

36. Angela September 7, 2014 at 7:14 am #

Love the double-pony!

1. Hookin Up with HoH #123 - October 31, 2012

[…] Ma Nouvelle Mode shares several creative ways to wear a ponytail. […]

2. do something craft #64 - November 1, 2012

[…] 10 creative ways to wear a ponytail via ma nouvelle mode […]

3. Lovely Crafty Weekend #97 - November 2, 2012

[…] ponytail ideas at Ma Nouvelle Mode blew me away! I am always looking for new ways to wear my long […]

4. Boho Chic Pony | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 5, 2012

[…] ponytail and I loved it! I loved it so much I just had to recreate it. Since I am on some kind of ponytail kick – I might as well add to […]

5. 13 Different ways to wear your bangs | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 9, 2012

[…] if you like ideas on how to wear your bangs, you might like 10 creative ways to wear a pony tail! We’re full of […]

6. 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail « Renewed Style - January 16, 2013

[…] With this look I tease a little on top, pin back the top how you’d like it, then secure the ponytail right on top or close to the pins. You can wrap a piece of hair around the ponytail too, if you’re fancy like that. READ MORE […]

7. shout outs - February 22, 2013

[…] ma nouvelle mode […]

8. 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail « Renewed Style - March 7, 2013

[…] Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to spend a lot of time on my hair. But at the same time, I don’t want to look like a homeless hairdresser when I go to work, so I try to make my ponytails as fancy as possible. Here are ten easy ways I like to dress up my ponytail. READ MORE […]

9. Ways to Wear Braids | Ma Nouvelle Mode - March 10, 2013

[…] Another personal favorite. It’s a ponytail with three braids, one on each side & one on the top. As I was making this ponytail I was thinking “Oh this is not going to turn out how I thought” but it actually was better! I ended up liking it a lot and wearing it more. The original post is 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail. […]

10. Beat the Heat: The Top Knot | Ma Nouvelle Mode - March 10, 2013

[…] new post with a video on two ways to create the messy top knot.  Check it out!  You can also see ’10 Creative ways to wear a ponytail’ here. […]

11. 10 Creative Ways to Wear a Ponytail - Renewed Style - June 18, 2013

[…] With this look I tease a little on top, pin back the top how you’d like it, then secure the ponytail right on top or close to the pins. You can wrap a piece of hair around the ponytail too, if you’re fancy like that. Read More […]

12. 50+ Hair Tutorials - Hairspray and Highheels - November 26, 2013

[…]    //    13 Different Ways To Wear Your Bangs The Top Knot & Messy Bun Guide    //    10 Creative Ways To Wear A Ponytail    //    Messy Top Knot Front Rope Braid    //     14 Tips For Styling CURLY Hair    // […]