How to: Coloring your Hair at Home

I don’t know about you, but sometimes (well, a lot of times) I don’t have time to make it to the salon every 6 weeks for a haircut, let alone fresh color! So I have become quite the expert on coloring my hair at home. Today I wanted to share with you my tips & tricks for making it look like you never missed the salon!

I used�Natural Instincts Creme Hair Color. I have long, thick hair, so I like to buy two boxes to make sure it will all get covered. �This time I bought two different colors. �I mixed #31 Darkest Brown and #30R Dark Auburn. I like a little red in my hair, but I also like it really dark, this was the perfect blend.

Step one: Mix Color

Start with mixing your color. When you buy Natural Instincts it comes with everything you need, even gloves, and instructions on how to do it. Follow instructions for mixing. If mixing two colors like I did, you might need an extra bottle like shown to the left.

Step Two: Section off hair

Part down the middle and behind the ears on both sides. You don’t need to pin it or anything, just have it generally parted.

Step three: Apply

I start in the middle and I apply at the roots and rub in and out. I continue just doing the roots until I have done the whole front section of my hair. Then I take the color and apply it to the rest of the hair in the front section. Once the color has been brought all the way through to the ends, I start with the back section. Same thing, starting at the roots first then completing the rest of the hair.

Step four: Saturate Hair & wait

Once I have it all the way through, I twist my hair into a bun on top of my head. It usually stays because of the color and I let it sit there for usually 20 minutes. The Natural Instincts color said only 10 minutes which is always nice! If you have color on your ears or forehead you can use baby oil on a cotton ball to take it off. It might not take it off completely, but it will definitely help.

Step five: rinse, wash, condition

Natural Instincts came with not only conditioner for right after you wash, but also a Color Fresh conditioned for a week or two into the color treatment to revitalize the color. Brilliant! Is there anything worse than your color fading too fast? I think not.

The end product!

And voila! You have beautiful, natural hair color at home! If you would like to just cover your roots, it’s also easy. Do the same steps as above except just don’t bring the color all the way to the tips. I am loving my Natural Instincts Color, it’s so vibrant and beautiful, it turned out great! No go grab a box bring your hair color into fall!

Download a digital coupon for a different product each day straight to your shopper card at the�Cart Buster site�for great deals on your favorite products at the Kroger Co. Family of Stores!

I was selected for participation in this campaign as a member of Clever Girls Collective.

15 Responses to How to: Coloring your Hair at Home

1. Sandy a la Mode October 15, 2012 at 4:58 am #

your hair looks beautiful!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

2. Amy November 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

So do you actually mix the two colors together in the bottle or do you apply the two different colors separately on your head? I’d be worried about the different colors reacting funny with each other?

• Natalia November 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

I mixed the two colors in a bottle together then put them on my hair. I bought the same product, just different colors, so I wasn’t worried about having a bad reaction or anything. Maybe if you mixed different products or companies, that could be bad. It worked for me!

• Kristen November 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm #

Did you mix the two colorants together and then mix with the developer?

• Natalia November 14, 2016 at 1:35 pm #

I mix it all in one bottle – the developer and the colors all in one. It’s worked for me!

3. Stephanie August 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Will it work for a different color or their than deep red? How about a deep burgundy?

• Natalia August 23, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

I think it would work beautifully that way! Maybe try it with non permanent color and see how it goes. Be brave!

4. Stacey November 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Hi! The color you mixed is beautiful! However, I have red undertones in my skin so I always try to stay away from shades of red hair color. Are there any two browns you would recommend mixing together for an espresso brown hue?

• Natalia November 11, 2013 at 1:18 am #

Okay, so I’m not a hair stylist or certified colorist or anything, but I would mix a light brown-ish color and the deepest brown you can find. If you need to mix them at all, maybe they have a nice espresso color? Good luck!

5. Kitty June 12, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Hi, love your hair color, thanks for sharing it. This is my first time thinking of coloring, not sure you apply it to washed hair or shampoo after applying color. Also do you apply to wet damp hair or dry. Thanks.

• Natalia June 13, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

I color my hair when it’s dry and it can be dirty, it works well that way. Good luck I hope it works out for you! I’m going to be writing a post on the most recent color I’ve used soon! 🙂

6. Meg Hallman July 17, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

How often can I color my hair? Is every 3 weeks safe?

• Natalia July 31, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

I don’t think you’d need to do it every 3 weeks, but maybe with Madison Reed it shouldn’t be so bad. Maybe every 4-6 is better

1. Salon Hair at Home | Ma Nouvelle Mode - February 19, 2013

[…] also have hair color. If you’ve read here for a little bit of time, you know that I color my hair myself. Once again, why pay the big bucks when you can do it yourself at home? Don’t think you can […]

2. At-Home Hair Coloring 101 - January 13, 2016