Messy Top Knot with Video

Recently I have seen my Top Knot post just blow up on Pinterest.  Well, blow up for me anyway!  So I thought it was time for a follow up post.  The most popular top knot out of that post I did was the  messy bun. If you have short hair, no worries, I’ve gotcha covered with this tutorial for a messy top knot for short hair.

There is a particular art to it, and I have put together a video to show you how I did it.  Actually, I show you two different ways to do it!  Because I know everyone is different and one look might work for someone but not someone else.  So try them out and see which on fits your style!

I hope you enjoyed the video and that it can help you create the perfect messy top knot.  Which is kinda an oxymoron, isn’t it?  If pictures are more your thing, you can check out the original post here.

So rock that messy bun today, ladies and go on wich ya bad self!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, , , , ,

59 Responses to Messy Top Knot with Video

1. Katie September 24, 2012 at 9:38 am #

I LOVE it! I wish my hair was longer so I could do it!

• Natalia September 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Well, store it away for future use! And depending on your length, you might give it a try! Thanks for stopping by!

2. Bethany September 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Love this!  :)

3. May @ So Very Domestic September 25, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Great video!! So cute, I love messy buns. :)

4. Laura@live-love-scrap September 26, 2012 at 5:26 am #

This is really cute! I wouldn’t have thought to bring some hair from the back around to the front to cover up the ponytail holder. The video is well done and easy to follow- thanks! The top knot is beautiful!

• Natalia September 26, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Thank you so much, I am glad you liked it!! Thanks for stopping by!

5. Divya N September 30, 2012 at 6:43 am #

really cute..but when I try and do this my hair just flops back as I have length but no thickness whatsoever in my hair..It would be really great if you could do some chignons or buns for people with thin hair

6. JB October 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

I can’t wait for my hair to grow more so I can wear my hair like this!! Great tutorial :]

• Natalia October 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Thank you so much! I am glad you like it!

7. Carlene Marie December 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

This is definitely going to be my new “go to” for school!

• Natalia December 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Isn’t it perfect for that? I love it and it’s definitely a go-to look for sure!

8. Jen December 8, 2012 at 11:32 am #

I love your tutorials! Thank you!

• Natalia December 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I’m so glad you like them, thank you!

9. Sharyl December 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

I keep trying to do this because I love it and it looks soooo easy but I can’t get the bobby pins to stay in!!!!!! They keep backing out of my hair. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Grrrrrrr……..

• Natalia December 29, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Maybe you’re trying to pin too big of pieces. That happens to me when I stick too much hair in one bobby pin. Try more pins, less hair in each one. And when you pin, Try grabbing the hair with pin like it is going to go into your head. Then slide it in sideways. Does that make sense? Hope that helps! Let me know if it doesn’t!!

10. Josie December 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

I’m sorry, but neither of the buns in the video look anything like the picture above that I have seen all over pinterest… Was that just a lucky mistake?

• Natalia December 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

The picture that you’ve seen all over pinterest was done one morning when I had done my hair and just tilted my head & snapped a shot. Then when I posted the top knot post with all the different ways to wear it, this one was the most popular, so I decided to do a video for it. This video is two ways on how to create the bun, but obviously they were done on different days. So the buns look different! But it’s my hair, & I did it myself.

• Josie December 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Okay. Just making sure I didn’t misunderstand. :)

• Natalia December 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Oh of course! Sometimes I’ll try the style first & take a picture of the end product but not the process. Then I’ll do the process later. Hairstyles don’t always turn out exactly the same all the time, but sometimes that’s the beauty of it!

• Megan June 23, 2013 at 2:59 am #

I agree with you, it looks nothing like the video and I can’t see how one would end in the other. The tutorial in the video is a hairstyle I’m fairly certain I invented (obviously others have probably done it in the past) so that was NOT new to me. But seeing the picture that was all over pinterest was new to me and I really liked it and wanted to know how to create that look. But alas, that look is not created in the video so I’m not sure anyone knows how to create it.

• Natalia June 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

As I answered in reply to Josie, the buns were done on different days. Sometimes my hair doens’t come out exactly the same when done twice. I don’t know how else to convince you that it’s my hair and I did the style except through these pictures & videos. The video is two different ways to create this look that I continue to use to this day, so I don’t know what to tell you about them not being it. If you did invent a hairstyle that I am showing here, it’s not something I have seen. I most definitely don’t copy other people’s work and would never try to pass something off as my own that I didn’t do. The look in the videos are the look in the picture, just done separate days. Sorry you don’t think so! Hope this is helpful in some way!

11. Kristina January 27, 2013 at 8:24 am #

I have “long layers” and I just cant seem to get this right .
    Any suggestions ?

• Natalia January 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

I would try doing it one of the ways in the video & then just using more bobby pins to keep the rest of the layers in place. You could also try to tuck some of the hair back into the elastic. Hope this helps!

12. Meli February 7, 2013 at 8:43 am #

i love it! thanks for sharing =)

• Natalia February 7, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Glad you like it, thank you!

13. Melissa March 15, 2013 at 6:10 am #

You have mad fabulous hair girl! I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for the vid!  :)

• Natalia March 15, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked it! :)

14. Zoey March 22, 2013 at 9:53 am #

ok so I am 12 and I was looking around for ways to do my hair that are simple and easy and I came to this site and I just LOVE it!! I use one of your hair styles everyday and guess who has the best hair at school yup thats right me! <3

• Natalia March 24, 2013 at 3:07 am #

You’re so cute, thank you!! I am so glad you like it and you like my site, I appreciate your comment! :) Go get ‘em girl!

15. Jamie April 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

So looks great but my hair is floor length….. will try and let you know if it works. Oh and by floor length I mean I am 5’6″ and  my hair is one inch from the floor….

• Natalia April 12, 2013 at 1:36 am #

Oh my goodness, that’s a lot of hair!! You might have to tuck it a little more, maybe it’ll work? Let me know!

• Jamie April 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

So… it didn’t work on me. BOO! It does however work wonderfully on my little girl. I am at such a loss as to what to do with my hair…. if you can think of anything I would be very interested. Anything that doesn’t require 100′s of bobby pins that is.

• Natalia April 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Oh man, that’s too bad! Did you try both ways? I’ll definitely be trying to think of things!

16. melissa April 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

hi natalia,             i tried the messy top knot and love it , i just love ur blog so much i was looking at a video were you show ten ways to wear ur hair down or something like that the other but it ried looking for it and cant find i do t know if you could problably send me a link for it ?            thanks

17. Kimberly May 20, 2013 at 3:43 am #

Thank you for your video tutorial! I have long, straight hair and I never know what to do with it. I’m pretty useless at coming up with hair ideas :) so I really appreciate your tutorials. I LOVE videos as the picture tutorials can sometimes be hard for me to replicate. This might sound dumb….but could you do some video tutorials on really simple stuff, like how you use a bobby pin? I noticed that you kind of pin down, then up…..does that make sense? I’m not sure of the technique you use. My fine hair tends to fall right out of bobby pins and I need help learning how to make these cute hairstyles stay!

• Natalia May 20, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Yes, those are good ideas! I will do some simple stuff, maybe coming up in June. I am so glad you liked the tutorials, thank you so much!

18. Jen January 11, 2014 at 2:21 am #

Wow, that’s brilliant!! I’ve been looking for ages for an easy, but looks good, up-do for long hair and this is the only one I’ve found that’s actually easy (and doesn’t just claim to be).

Thanks for sharing!!

• Natalia January 22, 2014 at 9:39 am #

I am so glad you found it easy!! I mean, most of the time all the styles I try are easy. I’m all about quick and practical and easy. So glad it worked for you!

19. Sarah C April 23, 2014 at 8:50 am #

This is great! Thanks for that, found you through GYPO. I’m going to try this, this weekend!

• Natalia April 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

So glad you liked it! Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

20. Jennifer May 27, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Love this! I did my hair like this years ago and was reminded on how easy it is! Plus, I never even THOUGHT about pinning in the stray hairs to make it look better!! Thank you!

• Natalia May 30, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

So glad you liked it!! Thank you for taking the time to tell me, I always love hearing about how people like them!

21. Lonnie June 20, 2014 at 1:41 am #

I have very long hair, but the second version in your video worked for me – yay! I haven’t been able to do a messy ‘bun’ before, but this one I really like. I hope it holds through the day :D.
    Thank you.
    ~ Lonnie

• Natalia June 20, 2014 at 8:24 am #

So glad it worked for you! Add some bobby pins to make sure it holds for the day! Let me know how it works out!

22. Lonnie June 20, 2014 at 1:42 am #

Thank you.
    ~ http://www.Lonnie.eu

• Natalia June 20, 2014 at 8:08 am #

So glad it worked for you!

23. shannon province July 11, 2014 at 5:12 am #

I keep hoping to get this done because I love this and yes it seems to be simple nevertheless I can’t receive the bobby hooks to stay in. They keep backing outside of the hair. I don’t know what I’m doing drastically wrong.

• Natalia July 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

You could be taking too much hair in each pin. They tend to slide out when I do that. Just grab smaller pieces and tuck them under. If you need more bobby pins, that’s fine, but they’ll hold better. Hope this helps!

1. Beat the Heat: The Top Knot | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 5, 2012

[...] Jun 29 2012 ** If you’re stopping by from Pinterest, I have new post with a video on two ways to create the messy top knot.  Check it out!  You can also see ’10 Creative ways to wear a ponytail’ here. [...]

2. Cute Updo’s; | The Teen's Beauty - April 30, 2013

[...] this cute bun, but I’ve tried. If you haven’t heard of the topknot look, you can click here, and get a good tutorial. But for a quicker, “lazier” way you can pull it up like this! [...]

3. Easy Faux-Hawk Tutorial | Ma Nouvelle Mode - August 23, 2013

[...] first part of the faux-hawk part start it at the height you want it. You’re going to create 4 messy buns (or for short hair) down the back. Then you just pin away until it’s even and the way you [...]

4. 5 Hair buns for moms - Savvy Sassy Moms - March 25, 2014

[…] Did every mom in the world shout for joy when ‘the messy bun’ came into style? I mean, I was rocking that look long before it became hip! I guess I’m just ahead of the game. It’s super easy, just a little difficult to explain. Pull your hair all the way through like you’re creating a ponytail. On the second pull through, only pull your hair half way through. Do that again only pulling half way through. The key to a cute messy bun is the pinning afterwords. Pull out sections that need to be pulled out and pin down where needed so it’s even everywhere. Make sense? If not, here’s a video tutorial. […]

5. Natalia of Ma Nouvelle Mode | Pretty Mom Profile - April 23, 2014

[…] popular posts including a Guide to Visiting Paris (I wanna go!), Closet Remix and her Messy Top Knot Hair Tutorial (the girl has mad hair styling […]