The Art of the Cat Eye

So lately I have been really into a thick cat eye look.  It’s fun, it’s retro and it’s more bang for your buck! (less work yet bigger effect).  However, I understand that the cat eye can be intimidating to some people, and rightly so, it takes a bit of practice.  But I have come up with a little tip that might help you give it a whirl!

I did a video a little bit back on a thick winged liner and Christie has a post on how she does her cat eye look as well.  She also has a post how different liner shapes can change the shape of your eye.  (oh and for baby Bennet updates, check out our Facebook page.)

Here’s what you need:

Oh and that eye liner is from my Birchbox, it’s amazing.  It doesn’t smudge, it stays nicely all day, it’s easy to apply because of tip, it’s just great.  You can find it here.  And here’s my picture tutorial on how I get it done.  Description is below.

Okay, so you start with a neutral shadow.  You don’t want the shadow colors to take away from the liner.  Then look straight in the mirror with your eyes open normally and make a dot with your liner on either side, in the same spot, where you want your liner to come up to (shown in the first picture).  The line your eye and connect to the dot.  It can be messy because after that you go over it again until you have the shape you want.  If you are a bit messy or need some clean up, just use a pointed q-tip with makeup remover, lotion, or just plain saliva (yep, sometimes I just stick it in my mouth!) and wipe where you need to.

There you have it!  Sounds easy, doesn’t it?  Well, it is.  And as a side note – this is perfect for our more mature audience.  It kind of lifts your eyes up and out and helps with the affects of aging without any surgery! 🙂  There’s your tip for the day, you’re welcome!

I hope you give it a try, and if you don’t get it the first time around, no worries, try again! Sometimes it might take a few tries! Have a happy Tuesday!

, ,

24 Responses to The Art of the Cat Eye

1. Mandy@OrangeAutumn September 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Love cat-eyes, so pretty and dramatic!

2. Leigh Anne September 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

So pretty! Definitely gonna have to give it a try….I’ve been a bit intimidated , but with your tutorial I think I could manage it. Still praying for Christie, Bennett & fam 🙂

• Natalia September 4, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Thank you for your prayers! You can see updates on Facebook.

I hope you give this look a try! It isn’t as hard as it may seem and give it a few tries before you give up, it takes practice!

3. Britney {Jesse's Girl} September 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

You are gorgeous! Oh my goodness! I’m obsessed with cat eyes! I want to try this method and do it thicker like you do. AMAZING!

• Natalia September 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Thank you! I have been seriously loving this look and wear it probably way too often! Hope you love it too!

4. Ruthie September 5, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Love your site!  Found you through Sew Much Ado and now I’m following 😉

• Natalia September 5, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Thank you! I am gonna check yours out too!

5. Shirley@motivatedmommyoftwo September 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

It looks so pretty

6. Jessi @ Practically Functional September 7, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Wow, that looks amazing on you! Thanks for sharing the tutorial and pictures and linking up at The Fun In Functional!

7. Sandy a la Mode September 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

sooo soo beautiful!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

8. Ariel E September 10, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Great tutorial! I always use liquid eyeliner for my cat eyes, but any smudges are so hard to fix! I’ll definitely be trying this!

• Natalia September 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

This eye liner is perfect for no smudging! Seriously I have to really wash it and use make up remover at the end of the day. It’s perfect!

9. lisa September 11, 2012 at 5:18 am #

Thanks for the tips! I always feel like it looks better in photos than when you stare at yourself up close in the mirror. Yours looks great!

• Natalia September 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Ya and it always looks better with mascara on too. I am always unsure until I add a coat, then I am okay with it!

10. Kayla September 12, 2012 at 5:39 am #

This is a GREAT tutorial. I have to admit, I am NEVER able to make the pointy bits even. I think it has to do with crossing my body to do my left eye with my right hand. But, I’ll keep practicing!! If you have a minute, I’d love for you to link up to Sweet Sharing Monday – http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-22/

• Natalia September 12, 2012 at 8:49 am #

I had the same problem! One day I was sitting there and I thought “I know! I’ll make the dots then fill them in!” It works most of the time. Thanks for stopping by, I’ll head on over and link up!

11. Courtney September 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

GREAT tutorial!!! Love your blog!

• Natalia September 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Thank you! I am glad you like it!

1. No Makeup, Makeup {Winter Edition} | Ma Nouvelle Mode - February 25, 2013

[…] doing the same thing over and over again. Today I want to share one of them with you. {Oh and here’s one and here’s another, in case you were […]

2. Easy Holiday Makeup Looks | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 9, 2013

[…] You can use regular scotch tape to tape off where you want your cat eye to be or connect the dots like in this tutorial. You can have it thicker winged out like this or nice and thin. Here’s the tutorial for the […]

3. Easy Eyeliner Tips & Hacks - Styletic - June 29, 2016

[…] source The first step is to curl your eyelashes, and then make small dots in the space between the lashes. Use liquid eyeliner for this and then connect them. Make a thin line along the top of the lashes, and use more eyeliner to the outside of the eye so you can create an upward curve. […]