Low Maintenance Hair & Makeup for the Hospital

Ok guys, I totally hesitated to do this post because I wanted it to come off the way I intended. And we all know that sometimes things can be misunderstood when it is in writing. So I want to tell you before I start this, from the bottom of my heart, I DON’T CARE how I look in the hospital as long as my baby is born healthy and strong. My mom was laughing with me the other day about how my readers may think I am primarily concerned with the way I look since that is what I blog about, when in all reality you could see me at my VERY worst and it wouldn’t bother me. I hope you all have always known my heart is this : I think we SHOULD try to take care of our bodies and make an effort with our appearances for numerous reason. But that if my character, family, ministry, or my relationship with God ever took second place because of my own vanity, then I have lost sight of why I love fashion and beauty and I had just better stop.

So, in light of what has been said, I am going to share with you my hair and makeup plan for labor/delivery and hospital stay. I am sure most of you know that this is my third baby. The circumstances for my first two deliveries could not have been more different! My first delivery had some major complications (a story for another day) and my second delivery was cake! Both stories were totally out of my control and ended the same way- With a gorgeous baby! However, there are some GLARING differences in the pictures of those two events. See if you can spot them:

Left:Minutes After Delivering my Daughter in ’07 Right: Minutes after delivering my Son in ’09

Left: Mommy & Daughter ’07 Right: Mommy & Son ’09

Now hopefully showing you these pictures has accomplished two things: proving to you once and for all that I am not vain (I mean GEESH could I look any worse in my first delivery!!??) and will help you understand why I am hoping for more pictures like my second delivery 🙂 As I said before, there was nothing I could do about how I looked after my first delivery, BUT I might as well plan as best I can so if all goes well, I will have some beautiful pictures that will end up in my son’s wedding slide show in 30 years (just kidding, but you catch my drift).

So here are a few different options I have in my mind for my hair and makeup:

Makeup: My makeup plan is set in stone. It is quick and easy, will stay during delivery and will help a girl out when the cameras start going off!

1. Tinted moisturizer
2. Bronzer for face and eye lids (I use Bare Escentuals Warmth)
3. Little bit of pencil liner
4. Mascara
5. Tinted finishing powder (I use Bare Escentuals  Mineral Veil)

Hair: For my hair I have 3 options. Obviously this will have a lot to do with when and how I go into labor, but unless something crazy happens, I am pretty sure I will be able to accomplish one of these looks before flying out the door!

1. Hair dried naturally with some Sea Salt Spray, Bangs pinned back

2. Bangs braided back and hair pulled into a ponytail

3. Hair blown dry and bangs quickly styled (This would be ideal so I can pull my hair back into a ponytail later that day and still have some bangs styled in front)

It will sure be interesting to see what the final outcome is when all is said and done, right!? I will solemnly swear to show you my pictures of how i look no matter what I look like 🙂 Even if I look like a broken, busted up, hot mess! And by the way, I am 39 weeks today, I am at least 3 cm dilated, the baby’s head is in place and I have been having some sporadic contractions! XOXO- Christie

, , ,

24 Responses to Low Maintenance Hair & Makeup for the Hospital

1. Andi T. August 20, 2012 at 5:41 am #

I think this is awesome 🙂  Everyone makes fun of me because I say that I’d like to do my hair and makeup before going to the hospital…  Obviously, I know that isn’t the most important thing, but if I’m feeling up to it – why not?!?

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Uh-greed!!! It’s worth the little effort right!? Especially now with Facebook and instagram documenting our every move 😉

2. Gina @ Oaxacaborn August 20, 2012 at 8:27 am #

So funny! The last thing I did before we drove to the hospital when I was in labor was wash my face and take off all my makeup! Between contractions, I was like, “Wait! I need to take off my mascara so my eyelashes don’t fall out if it’s on all night” ha ha ha ha ha.

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Gina totally! I actually should have clarified that I have REALLY fast labors so my makeup stays on! It’s all about making sure we don’t look repulsive, and makeup down the face would qualify right!? Lol

• Gina @ Oaxacaborn August 20, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Totally! Ha ha! 🙂 Love your tips on hairstyles for labor — any first-time mommas should take note of this great advice! I didn’t put my hair up, and I ended up with a huge rat’s nest in the back of my head.

3. Donna August 20, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Great job, Christie! I know you felt this way and it’s good for your readers to hear your heart on this.

Happy Labor day (soon)…….one way out!
    Love you. xo

4. Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 August 20, 2012 at 8:39 am #

After looking at my first delivery photos, I wanted to make sure I looked a lot better when I delivered my second child. I felt great during labor, so I put on some makeup and did my hair. As soon as they broke my water I started writhing in pain and sweating profusely. I delivered about an hour later, looking like a raccoon, or maybe like I had been punched in both eyes! Mascara and eyeliner definitely backfired for me! 😉 Make sure you wear waterproof! Good luck! I think you look beautiful in both sets of photos!

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Good point! My eye makeup is all waterproof and that certainly is a must 🙂

5. ayemi August 20, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Christie,

This IS a good idea if it works into the schedule because these are memories to remember, why not put a little effort into it? And NO we never thought you were vain but thanks for the honesty with your pictures! =) Hope you’re gonna use waterproof mascara! hehe.

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Awe thank you Ayemi! You are a true encourager 🙂

6. Blair @ The Straightened Path August 20, 2012 at 11:17 am #

I am almost 32 weeks and totally thinking about all things delivery lately. I always hate how I look in those first few days of pictures so I am happy to see this post. I love your statement in the beginning too cause I totally would have judged you otherwise. 😉 lol

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

🙂 well good! Then I am glad I did this post AND that I wrote my beginning statement! 🙂

7. Sara T August 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Nothing weird about this at all! Anybody who thinks that you would actually care more about how you look than your healthy baby is dumb. When my water first broke, I had some time to kill before going to the hospital because I was home alone with my too-little-to-drive brother. So, I hopped in the shower, had my brother call my boyfriend and while I waited for him to leave work and get home I flat ironed my hair and put on make-up. It was better than sitting by the window and panicking, right?

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Makes sense to me! 🙂

8. MiMi August 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Oh I had big plans to wear make up the first time. It was NOT conducive to putting make up on that day though.
    It was a really hard birth so I looked a lot like you, only not as cute. LOL
    Second? Was cake for me too! Twinsies, huh? LOL

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Yes! Twinsies 🙂 thank God for easy second deliveries!

9. Kelley August 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

I am loving the first picture of your hair – is sea salt spray a product you buy or do you make it yourself?  I have never heard of it!

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Yes! You can get get it at target or beauty supply stores. I use the bumble and bumble brand but there are a ton. I have also seen a couple recipes floating around on pinterest bit have not tried it myself. Thanks for the comment!

10. Leigh Anne August 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

New reader here (for a few mos)….first time commenter 🙂 LOVE this post! I totally appreciate your honesty and I can really tell your heart is pure. Also, thx so much for sharing the delivery photos…..and keeping it real….haha! With all 3 of my deliveries, I’ve had time to shower & fix my hair/makeup (and shave my legs) before heading to the hospital. makes me feel so much better afterward when the family starts showing up 🙂

• Christie August 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

So glad you commented! Thank you! And yes, you are soooo right about feeling better when visitors come! Lol

11. Alyx August 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Can’t wait to meet your precious baby!

12. Lindsey October 30, 2012 at 9:07 am #

I made sure to do my makeup, as well!! I had a natural childbirth but I was very lucky in that I had a very easy delivery. I didn’t feel any pain until 8cm so I did my makeup in the hospital while I was in labor. I realize not everyone can do that but I just want to let you know, you are NOT vain and every mama wants to look hot in those first pictures! With that said, I think you look wonderful in the first pictures! I know it’s not your best, glamorized  face, but you still look beautiful without makeup! I know my comment is late and you’ve already had your baby but I just wanted to tell you how gorgeous you are even withOUT the makeup! 🙂