Simple DIY Summer Skirt

Okay, so I guess I have a slight obsession with my sewing machine.  And it’s great because I get to be creative and I get new clothes and it’s all cheap!!  I made the next skirt for about $10.

So you just buy about a yard of fabric and then fabric to line the skirt as well if you need it.  You sew the sides, right sides together, like the picture below.

Then sew a basting stitch which is just a really long stitch.  Then if you hold the material and pull on the looser stitch and the fabric will bunch.  Cinch it all together to fit the widest area of your hips.  I made the mistake of making it the size of my higher waste and need to redo it so it fits better.  Cut the elastic band the size of where you want it to fit at the waste.  You can sew it together like I did for the DIY maxi skirt/summer dress.

Then you pin the material to the elastic so it’s even, right sides together.  Stretch the elastic and sew the material as it is stretched.  Keep doing that all the way around.  Then hem the bottom and you’re done!

Seriously ladies (gentlemen?), it’s so easy!  You can trust me when I say I don’t post DIY projects or sewing projects that can’t be done within a couple hours.  This project probably cost me $10, that’s the skirt, the lining, the elastic, and thread.  That’s my kinda skirt!

If you are wondering, here is three ways to wear this simple summer skirt.  And if you go to my church, then you saw it yesterday!

Happy Monday!

, ,

27 Responses to Simple DIY Summer Skirt

1. Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims July 2, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Girl, check you out being so crafty! Adorable 🙂

• Natalia July 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

haha, thanks! I try every once in a while!

2. the domestic fringe July 2, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Your skirt is adorable! I love it. Almost makes me want to go buy a sewing machine.
    ~Fringegirl

• Natalia July 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Oh I would! It’s such a fun way to be creative!

3. Mary Dailey July 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

I love it and you look great in it. Wish your head had been in the pic too. LOL

• Natalia July 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I cropped my head because I really wanted to showcase the skirt. Outfit posts with it will be Wednesday!

4. ReStitch Me July 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

So, so cute!

5. Krista July 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

I DID see it yesterday! 😉 Never would have guessed you just whipped it up.  Super cute.

6. JaanL July 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Your skirt really turned out cute….I used to do the same, including making a quick boat neck blouse. Whipped them up on a Sunday afternoon. New outfit for the office. Whether you make it like yours or a pencil type skirt, they really are woth it. Love your material by the way, looks so fresh and summery with your pretty pink blouse.

• Natalia July 3, 2012 at 8:02 am #

I don’t think I’m as crafty as you… a quick boat neck top? I like simple and easy, if it gets to complicated, count me out. I also never follow a pattern, which might show in my projects, but I just like to stick to easy!

• JaanL July 3, 2012 at 10:06 am #

We are much alike, never use patterns as they are to time consuming. The boat neck was 4 pcs only, if you don’t include the ‘interfacing’. With 4 major seams, a quick hem of the blouse and the sleeves, and if I can get away with it, it would turn the edge of the boat neck under,give a quick sew and forget about the interfacing. FYI as close to a pattern I use is anything I am currently wearing that fits good, then just fold and lay on top of the material I want to sew….snip, snip then sew and sew. DONE! (have tons of stick pins, but really loath pinning material).

7. Mary Dailey July 3, 2012 at 5:35 am #

I pinned this, Natalia! I know it will get repins galore!

8. Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com July 3, 2012 at 7:49 am #

It looks fabulous !! Come link it up with us at our party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ . This is something to show off!!

commentluv: http://www.finecraftguild.com/bathroom-mats/

9. stacysewsandschools July 3, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Definitely Pinning this! Too cute and so simple! 🙂

• Natalia July 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Yep! Hope you get to give it a try!

10. Clare Purvis July 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

This is totally cute! And it looks like something I could totally make.

11. Lindsey July 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Cute skirt! Look at you gettin all crafty!

12. Kristin @ Little Corbin Hill July 7, 2012 at 5:13 am #

So cute! I’ve been on a skirt making kick here lately! But I always forget to pick up some lining fabric =/

• Natalia July 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Me too! I love it because they’re cheap! I would ussualy forget too, but when I bought the black and white I could tell it was see through so I got some liner right there. Perfect!

13. Tammy July 8, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I love this! I may try to make one for myself. I’m currently losing weight so this would make a nice transitional piece that would be inexpensive and yet easy to take in as I continue to lose. Thanks for sharing!

• Natalia July 9, 2012 at 8:24 am #

This would be great! And a great way to be comfortable and cute and still transition with you. I hope you get to give it a try!

14. Amber July 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

This is super cute!

15. Erin @ Carolina Country Living July 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Adorable! I’m a novice sewer and this seems quote do-able. Thank you for the tutorial–I just recently learned the settings for a basting stitch on my sewing machine so now I can put that newfound knowledge to use. 🙂

Erin
    (visiting from Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage)

• Natalia July 9, 2012 at 8:23 am #

It totally is do-able! I am really a novice sewer too, and I did it! It isn’t very hard at all. I hope you get to give it a try!

16. Elise July 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Love your website! There are so many great ideas! http://www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

• Natalia July 9, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Thank you, I am so glad you like it!

1. Summer Skirt | Ma Nouvelle Mode - July 4, 2012

[…] Skirt Jul 4 2012 0 Comments Well your lovely comments on Monday’s Simple DIY summer skirt post have been so lovely, thank you!!  I am so glad that a lot of your that I’ve heard from […]