DIY Lace T-Shirt Refashion

Okay you guys.  If you didn’t already know, I live half of my life in France.  Well, most of my life, around 8 months to be more exact.  Most people are always telling me how cool it sounds and how awesome it must be.  And while there are super awesome parts about it, There are some things that kinda stink.

My closet for example.  As I was packing my bags this year to return to the states, everything I own fit into two suitcases.  Jewelry and shoes included and I don’t have small feet.  Everything I own.  My husband says to me “babe, you have a lot of clothes.  I mean really, I think you’re good, you have a lot of stuff.”   Um. ya.  If he only knew how regular women were, he would probably freak out.  All that to say, I have to rely on what’s already in my closet/suitcase or make clothes for as cheap as possible.  So it doesn’t matter if something gets left behind in one country or another!

Enter t-shirt redesign.  I bought this big black t-shirt at Joann’s for $2.50.  I bought the lace for a little more than that.  So a shirt for about $5 to $7!  Want to know how it’s done?  It’s easy, guys, check it out.

Start by folding the t-shirt in half.  Cut out the neckline, a little length off the bottom, and a little off the sleeves.  I wanted it to be a little bit off the shoulders, but cut accordingly.  I think the photo below describes it pretty well, right?  I hope so!

Then you want to cut off the back of the shirt so you can replace it with the lace.  Cut the top and bottom of the sleeves and then fold the shirt in half again, but this time with the front on one side and the back on the other.  Like the picture below.  Then cut down the side.

Then fold it in half again.  Lay the lace over it and just cut the same shape as the shirt.  The greatest part about this shirt is that because it’s kinda of slouchy, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Then, I don’t have pictures of this part, but it’s self explanatory.  You sew the two pieces together down the middle for the back, there will be a seam and I think that’s kinda cute.  Then sew the completed back to the sides and top and voila, you’re done!

Here’s the final product:

Here is the side.  I like the way it’s solid in front and pretty lace in the back.  It’s a sexy surprise!

I also love the way the lace curves around at the bottom.  Obviously that material was like that, but it definitely worked in my favor.  I didn’t have to do anything to it and it was so pretty.

The great thing is that it can be versatile.  I have worn it like shown and also as a swimsuit cover up which is kinda cute.  Gotta love inexpensive and easy!!

Well, hope you liked it and give it a try!  Thanks for reading!

Linking up to our link parties here.

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

34 Responses to DIY Lace T-Shirt Refashion

1. Morgan June 21, 2012 at 10:07 am #

I love this, it is adorable. What a creative way to refashion a shirt.

• Natalia June 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Thank you! I had fun with it. I have 3 more shirts I want to do different ways. We’ll see what I come up with!

2. Lindsay June 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

I love it! You never would believe that came from an oversized shirt. beautiful. I love your hair too!! :)

• Natalia June 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

thank you so much! It was fun to do and easy! Thanks for stopping by!

3. Kelly June 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Oh I LOVE it!  I’ve been dying to see this post!!  I am DEF going to try this!

4. Gina_AcuteDesigns June 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

SO pretty!  And your hair looks amazing.

5. irene wibowo June 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

nice idea.. :) Irene Wibowo

6. Sarah ~ Creating Amazing June 23, 2012 at 9:04 am #

High Five to you! That shirt looks like it would have taken hours and yet it didn’t. Love it! You could do it in all different colours too. A white lace top like that would be great for the beach!  Thanks for the inspiration :)

• Natalia June 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Oh yes, there are so many options, I love it! Thanks so much for your kind comments, so encouraging!

7. Jessi June 24, 2012 at 9:31 am #

That is so adorable! I love the look of the lace over a tank top! I’d be thrilled if you would link this up to my current link party so everyone can see how cute it is! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/06/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-4/

• Natalia June 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Thank you so much, I will definitely check out your party! Thanks for asking!

8. Tamara @ Etcetorize June 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

This is lovely! I have the perfect top to try this out on. Thanks for the tutorial~

9. Chrissy June 27, 2012 at 9:39 am #

This is so cute! I am in love~ Definately a new follower/fan~! :)

• Natalia June 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Thank you so much, I am glad you liked it! And we’re glad to have you! :)

10. Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts June 27, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday – – you were featured today!! and most viewed link!
    Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

11. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy June 28, 2012 at 4:35 am #

this is awesome – I love it!  Now THAT is what I call a great upcycle!

• Natalia June 28, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Thank you! And it was really easy, promise!

12. pc June 28, 2012 at 6:59 am #

This is super gorgeous and brilliant!

• Natalia June 28, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Thank you!

13. Bethany June 28, 2012 at 11:13 am #

This is absolutely beautiful!  And you are just gorgeous! :)

• Natalia June 29, 2012 at 6:45 am #

You’re really too sweet, thank you!

14. Marisa June 29, 2012 at 1:54 am #

Your hair looks amazing!!

• Natalia June 29, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Thank you!!

15. Chanda Erickson June 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Who are you fabulous people? This is great.

• Natalia June 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

Thank you so much! You’re too sweet! :)

16. MiMi July 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Okay, I checked out the “normal woman’s” closet. That ain’t normal! lol

17. Audrey July 4, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Hi, I love this project! And you look pretty. Keep posting =D

• Natalia July 4, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I got some more ideas up my sleeve… :)

18. jen lossing, the consigner designer July 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

This is absolutely adorable. I have some maternity clothes that I love that I am not looking forward to giving away when I am done. Maybe I can repurpose them like you have shown here. What a great tip! Thanks!!!

1. Double Hanging Front Braids | Ma Nouvelle Mode - June 22, 2012

[…] Double Hanging Front Braids Jun 22 2012 0 Comments I love doing hair.  I love creating tutorials and trying to come up with new content.  I think it is fun to try to wear your hair in different ways.  I know that this doesn’t always apply to everyone.  In fact, probably more often than not women just stick to what they know as far as hair goes.  In a sense, I don’t blame them.  I mean, it’s easy, you know it works so it’s quick, and you’re comfortable with it.  But today I’m gonna challenge you to do something different!  Mainly because the tutorial I have for you today is a little different!  But it’s easy and cute, so I hope you give it (or something else out of your comfort zone) a try!  Remember this from yesterday? […]

2. Copy Cat Closet – Beach Day Style | Ma Nouvelle Mode - August 2, 2012

[…]  It just makes sense to be comfortable while lounging by the pool or at the beach.  I wore my DIY lace shirt, which is kinda fun with the see-through back.  Appropriate because I am wearing a bathing suit […]

3. 10 ideias criativas para repaginar sua camiseta | Mulher Vitrola - April 3, 2013

[…] Renda + camiseta […]

4. Creative Collections: Repurposing T-Shirts | a project at a time - May 1, 2014

[…] Lace T-Shirt Refashion by Ma Nouvelle Mode […]

5. Simple T-Shirt Refashion | Ma Nouvelle ModeMa Nouvelle Mode - July 7, 2014

[…] have some new shirts for next to nothing!  Here I am with refashion #2.  The first one was the lace t-shirt refashion.  Well, with another one of those shirts and a little left over lace, I have a new […]