Beat the Heat: The Maxi

Can you believe we’re almost half way through June?  I cannot believe it, time flies!  And we are loving our summer.  Keeping the kids busy and wearing them out for nap times are my main goals and we’ve been pretty good at it!  I love doing this for my kids, and as you might already know, I’m a mom of two boys.  Two very active boys.  So my goal for myself would be to manage the craziness and manage to look cute doing it!  One of my favorite ways to attempt this is the maxi.  It is flowy, comfortable, and easy to manage without the typical shorts and t-shirt.  (although I love rocking shorts too!)

Here’s what I came up with.  I have quite a few maxis but these are some of my recent favs.

The Maxi Dressy Skirt

Skirt: me // jacket: Charlotte Russe // Tank: old // Earrings & shoes: Target

I made this skirt (which is also a dress) and I love it.  It’s flowy and comfy.  It’s jersey so it just kinda flows with you.  It really is perfect for summer.  You can feel comfortable and also look cute.  Perfect!

The Casual Maxi Dress

This dress is perfect for everyday wear.  It is really light weight and breezy.  It doesn’t have a lot of definition so I added the belt for color and a waist.  I wore this to my son’s best friend’s birthday party and it was perfect.  I party full of 5 year old boys and it worked!

The Casual Maxi Skirt

I made this skirt too!  I have been having a lot of fun since I’ve been in the states just sewing away!  Which also means I have some fun tutorials to share in the near future.  I love this skirt because it’s versatile.  I wore it to a baby shower in the morning and right when I got home we decided to turn around and go out to the zoo!  And it worked both ways!

Like I mentioned, I have a few other maxi dresses but I thought it might be a little redundant.  These are three main styles and it will definitely give you a lot to work with.  This might be becoming my summer uniform!

I hope you liked it! We’ll be linking up to The Pleated Poppy and The Letter 4.

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

16 Responses to Beat the Heat: The Maxi

1. Lindsey June 12, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Where is the black dress from? They are all super cute! I think I need to ge my sewing machine out.

2. Candace Barshaw (@MagpieEventCo) June 12, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Super cute!! As always though. =)

• Natalia June 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Thank you, you are so sweet!

3. Breanna June 12, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I am loving all of these different looks :) I need to get myself another maxi skirt, they are extremely comfortable :)

Happy Tuesday!

• Natalia June 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

I agree! Which is why I have quite a few. It’s like the summer’s uniform!

4. ashley June 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

I honestly was scrolling down to see where your skirts are from. IM OBSESSED!!!!

• Natalia June 13, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Oh thank you!! I made two of them and they are really easy! I am going to be posting the tutorial for the orange and pink one soon. Want me to make you one? :)

5. Kristi V. June 13, 2012 at 6:51 am #

The maxi length looks amazing on you and suits your height. Can you do a post on us short gals can pull the maxi off without looking stumpy? And also, still not exposing half of our chest? Those are my issues. :)

• Natalia June 13, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Both Christie and I are kinda tall. Well, I’m really tall and Christie’s above average. Maybe I will have my 5’2″ sister in law model for us! She wears them and I have never thought anything of it, I think she looks great!

6. Lindsay June 13, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Love how you dressed up the striped maxi!  And I adore that ikat maxi that you made.  Beautiful!  Wish I was talented like that!

• Natalia June 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

I made the other maxi as well, it’s easy I am sure you could do it! Thanks for your compliments though!

7. Dawn June 17, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Ooooo these are perfection – would LOVE a tutorial for the first one… looks amazing on you!

• Natalia June 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

I actually linked to the tutorial in the post, it was a few days prior. Hope you get to check it out, it wasn’t too hard!

8. Edith July 3, 2012 at 5:08 am #

These all came out great!   Did you make the black dress as well?   I especially liked that one.   I am a HUGE fan of the maxi skirts this summer as well,  but am always on the llook out for easy,  breezy dresses and the black one you have is PERFECT!

• Natalia July 3, 2012 at 8:01 am #

I didn’t make the black dress, but it looks simple and I am going to try something like it soon. Except an easier version, because I like easy! Thanks for your compliments, you’re so nice! :)

1. Copy Cat Closet – Holiday wear! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - December 18, 2012

[...] The maxi. Nope, it’s not just for summer! You can wear a fancier version or just dress up the one you have with accessories or a blazer. [...]