Half up Dutch Side Braid – Tutorial

Good morning everyone!  I leave for the states in approximately 2 weeks to travel back to the states again.  I have mentioned before, I really don’t like packing (not to mention, I’m horrible at it).  I don’t like packing a suitcase for a lovely vacation, let alone packing my entire house to move.  If only I had a few organizing genes in my blood.  Unfortunately, this is not my gift.  I do, however, have a lovely hair tutorial for you!! You can see where my priorities lie!

It is called the front side dutch braid.  I am fairly certain this look can be worn on all types of hair.  Long, short, thin thick.  It is pretty versatile.  And braids almost always look beautiful, so that’s a bonus!  It is perfect for summer and you can mix it up with a side or low pony if it’s just too hot outside.

I do not have a video tutorial for you today.  However, I do think that it is an easy enough style to be explain through pictures.  So here ya go!

•  Start with braiding a dutch braid (I call it inside-out braid), down one side of your head.  I left out my bangs, but if you don’t have any or don’t want to leave them out, it would be easy to just do a braid.  I braid all the way down and secure with an elastic.
  • Tease your hair starting with the hair right behind the braid and continuing all the way back to where you will be pinning.  I pinned mine just above the nape of the neck.
  • Instead of braiding the other side, which you could if you wanted to, I just took a piece of hair from the front and draped it down to meet the braid in the back.
  • I twisted the two a bit and pinned into where I had teased and voila, you’re done!

Thank you everyone for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!  Remember, if you want a chance to win some beautiful makeup (and help fight human trafficking, you know, because you’re a philanthropist) , enter our Radiant Cosmetics giveaway!  And as always, we will be linking up to these awesome parties here!
Have a stellar day!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

, , , ,

41 Responses to Half up Dutch Side Braid – Tutorial

1. Terra May 3, 2012 at 5:28 am #

SO cute!!!

• Natalia May 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

thank you! I am glad you liked it. Thanks for your comment!

2. Kelley May 3, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Gorgeous!  And it does seem really simple!  I love it.. and your outfit!  Ps.. are yall moving back to the states??

3. Toni May 3, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Love it! So pretty and just in time for summer! I have always braided my hair inside out, because I could never get the hang of French braiding. People kept asking me how I did it and I honestly couldn’t tell them other than to say that I just did it backwards. At least I know that there’s a name for the type of braid I do! LOL! Thanks for sharing!

• Natalia May 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

That’s funny, someone just told me the name of that braid like last week! Other than that I just called it an ‘inside out braid.’ Glad you liked it and thanks for your comment!

4. Katie May 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Trying this tomorrow – thanks! I love all these braids, but I just can’t seem to master the inside out french braid :( Practice, practice!

5. Vanessa May 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

Super cute!! Now I wish I had long hair!

• Natalia May 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

Oh I bet this would look great on your hair, from what I see in your pics anyway! If you can’t braid it all the way back, just pin it to one side and your good!

6. lee May 4, 2012 at 2:37 am #

Gosh I love this braid, I have just discovered your blog through My Romantic Home linky, I will be back for more, I find this very inspring ☺

Lee x

• Natalia May 4, 2012 at 5:01 am #

I am so glad you liked it! Thank you so much for stopping by and your sweet comment, it is really appreciated!

7. Bekuh May 4, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Thanks for sharing, I am loving all the braided styles out lately and your tutorial was super easy to follow. i’ll be trying this soon for sure.

• Natalia May 4, 2012 at 11:38 am #

I am so glad you liked it! And that it was easy to follow! Sometimes I try to explain and I am not sure if it is coming out right. Hope you give it a try!

8. lolachoco May 5, 2012 at 9:14 am #

oh thank you for sharing this..i need this so much..love it..:)

• Natalia May 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I am so glad you liked it! It’s easy and fun, hope you give it a try!

9. Jessie May 5, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Gorgeous! You make it sound so easy!! I’m going to try this , I hope it come out half as good as yours did :)

• Natalia May 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

It is easy, promise! Give it a try, you’ll see. And I am sure yours will be gorgeous!

10. Anne Marie Freitas May 8, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Slipping in from TipJunkie. This is soooooo pretty!! I am going to have to find the patience to try it :)

• Natalia May 8, 2012 at 11:38 am #

It’s really easy, so I am sure it will work for you. Thanks for stopping by!

11. Kendra May 8, 2012 at 10:26 am #

That would be a fun one for the girls I watch, thanks for the idea!

• Natalia May 8, 2012 at 11:37 am #

It would be perfect! Glad you like it!

12. Amber @ Recipes We Love May 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Love the braid!! Found this on Funky Polkadot giraffe party.

amber

• Natalia May 9, 2012 at 12:19 am #

Thank you! I am glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

13. Ginny May 9, 2012 at 4:45 am #

GORGEOUS! You have my dream hair. I might just have to go cut some bangs in my bathroom so I can be just like you! :)

Thanks for this! Pinning!

• Natalia May 9, 2012 at 5:04 am #

Oh I am glad you like it! Try it without bangs before you chop some yourself, I bet it would look beautiful!! :)

14. Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts May 9, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Thanks for linking to TAke-A-Look Tuesday – you were featured today!!
    –Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

• Natalia May 9, 2012 at 10:13 am #

That’s awesome, thank you! I am going to check it out!

15. Micki @addhousewife May 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

i’m going to have to try this with my teen’s hair, tho I’m not sure the braid will show well amid all her ringlets.

• Natalia May 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Oh it might look beautiful with the curls! Give it a try!

16. Abby May 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

That is such a lovely look! I’ve pinned it to try later! Thank you for sharing!

• Natalia May 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I am glad you liked it, thanks for pinning! It’s super easy, so I am sure you’ll love it even more!

17. Aimee Lane - It's Overflowing May 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Love this! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

• Natalia May 12, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Thank you so much!

18. Jennifer May 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Beautiful! As always!! Thanks so much for linking it up….featuring you tomorrow!

1. Ways to Wear Braids | Ma Nouvelle Mode - March 10, 2013

[…] This one is still pretty popular. I like it a lot too because it’s easy. Gosh, I think all my tutorials are easy! Just the way I like it! Christie did a short hair version of it too, for all your shorties out there. Here is my tutorial. […]

2. Half Up Dutch Side Braid for Short Hair! | Ma Nouvelle Mode - March 10, 2013

[…] Natalia’s Half Up Dutch Braid? Well I decided it was time to try it on myself Pretty much the same with some slight variation in […]

3. 7 Hairstyles in Under 5 Minutes « Hellostyle « FancyLittleThings.com - April 8, 2013

[…] the back with some hair from the other side and you’re done. Yep, that simple! You can see the full tutorial here or for short hair […]

4. Grab Your Clogs: 5 Easy Dutch Braid Hairstyles | Latest-Hairstyles.com - July 12, 2013

[…] Natalia of Ma Nouvelle Mode looks nothing short of dreamy in this headband-style Dutch braid. To create the look, fashion a Dutch braid down one side of your head. If you have bangs, leave them out of the braid to create more of a headband vibe. Check out the full text/picture tutorial on Natalia’s blog for all the pertinent deets! […]

5. Grab Your Clogs: 5 Easy Dutch Braid Hairstyles | womenstyles.asia - July 12, 2013

6. HairStyles DIY for 2014 | What Is Trending? - January 5, 2014

[…] Source : Half up Dutch Side Braid – Tutorial […]

7. Braids Braids Braids! - Petit Elefant - January 29, 2014

[…] two boys and don’t have a ton of time to spend on my hair but I still want it to be cute. The full tutorial is here but you just Dutch braid to the side and secure it with some hair from the other side in the back. […]

8. Romantic Half Up Fashion Week Hairstyle Tutorial | Hair Modern Styles - July 26, 2014

[…] Half up dutch side braid – tutorial | ma nouvelle modema Love it! so pretty and just in time for summer! i have always braided my hair inside out, because i could never get the hang of french braiding.. […]