A Day in the Life – Link up!

A day in the life….  You know, people often think that somehow my life, living in France and all, must be especially glamorous.  “She lives in Paris… ooh it must be so fabulous!”  Well, I have news.  I don’t live in Paris.  And it seems like no matter how much I say that, people assume that because I live in France I must live in Paris.  Unfortunately for me, I don’t.  (Because my life would be glamorous if I lived in Paris.  Or I’d just be broke.)  Instead I live in an industrial city a little more south, but not south enough to especially cool.  It’s not know for anything and has no historical landmarks.

I live in France, not Disneyland.

And my life is… well just that – life.  I do the same things you do.  I take my son to school.  I play with my toddler who doesn’t get to go to school.  I attempt to keep the house in decent order.  I cook, they eat, I cook again, they eat again and this process repeats itself over and over and over…  It’s just life.

There are some benefits, however, I must say.  For one, most French people do not speak English.  This usually works to my disadvantage seeing as French is a hard language to learn, but it has come in handy a few times.  For instance when someone does something stupid in the store.  I can talk about them in English and they don’t understand!  Kinda nice to be able to vent right then and there.

Or when I am at a basketball game and forget a diaper and Eli decides it would be a perfect time to take a dump.  So I head over to another couple in the gym with a baby seeing if maybe they could help a motha out.  Nope, no diaper.  Well I guess I’ll make a little small talk… “Oh she is so cute!  Wait, what?  It’s a he?  Oh my goodness, um… uh… well you know, I don’t speak French very well, I always get he & she mixed up!  Sorry!!  Welp, see ya later!”  Yes, that happened.  In my defense, totally looked like a girl.

Or when we are just outside of my son’s classroom and out of no where Tae proceeds to tell me that his teacher has a ‘big booty.’  WHAT? There are so many things wrong with this situation.  First of all, where in the world did he learn about big booties?  I know, he is a boy and all, but still!  And why is he telling me about it?  More importantly, why is he telling me about it right outside the classroom door where the teacher is standing?  Oh wait, I think we’re good here… she doesn’t speak English!  Phew, another crisis averted.

And did you know that in France when a little kid has a special toy or blanket, they call the ‘doudous.’  Yep, you say it like it sounds.  Well, I have a 5 year old American boy.  As you can imagine, it took us a little while to get past this word without laughing.  And by us, I mean him.

So what about you?  Do you have a funny story to tell?  Need to vent about something?  Just want to chat?  Well, that’s what today is for!

MaNouvelleMode

So here’s the party ‘rules’
1.) Please link up a post, not your entire blog. And as awesome as I think your craft/DIY project probably is, let’s stick with the theme!
2.) It’s not a party when no one is talking to each other! So party on and leave some comment love on a few blogs!
3.) If you can, grab a button and slap it on your post so we can spread the word! Just think the more people to join in, the more your blog is seen!
4.) We’d love it if you’d subscribe RSSso you can come back every week to share! Totally not a requirement, but we’d love to have you!

Natalia

Natalia

Owner & Author
Natalia is a mom to two crazy boys and wife to one handsome dude. She lives in France part of the year where her husband plays professional basketball, but she hails from Southern California. The hubs was born & raised in Nassau, Bahamas, which makes them an intercultural, interracial family traveling the globe together since 2007. She loves to cook (but mostly eat), hang with her fam, be adventurous, & find ways to stay girlie in a house full of men. On her site you can find loads of hair tutorials, makeup ideas, & fashion tips for the everyday woman. She believes that beauty and fashion don't have to be intimidating and that every woman should learn to embrace her own beauty.
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia
Natalia

Latest posts by Natalia (see all)

13 Responses to A Day in the Life – Link up!

1. Heidi April 9, 2012 at 6:06 am #

This post really made me laugh– especially the part about not knowing French. My mom is from Belgium and speaks French. As kids, my sister and I were always learning French via my mom. We never became fluent and to this day we still make some really awkward mistakes. There have been many laughs over mispronounced words or words that sound like something else! Such a difficult language!

2. Tiffany April 9, 2012 at 7:08 am #

Hahah this is great. I guess living in another country would actually be tougher because of the language barrier! Big booties are being taught by the other kids? Hehe as long as he isn’t saying that over here in the states, right?
    I hope to link up sometime this week!

3. Samantha April 9, 2012 at 7:22 am #

First time link-er upper! Gotta love big booties! ;)

~Samantha

4. Yvette April 9, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Hey! I couldn’t get your button to work! :(

5. Gina @ Oaxacaborn April 9, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Oh, I love you!!!

• Natalia April 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

You too!!  Your comments always make me smile!!

6. MiMi April 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I forgot! Doudous!
    Next week.
    This is a HILARIOUS post, btw. Best ever. :)

• Natalia April 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

haha good, glad you liked it!!  I was looking forward to reading yours! You can link it up later this week or link an older post.  Can’t wait either way!

7. Gina_AcuteDesigns April 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I love how you said “I live in France, not Disneyland.”  Because I totally think of your life at Disney-esque!

Loved this post :).

8. Oni April 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Love this! Especially the big booty part. According to my mother in law, my husband did something similar when he was that age. He has always been fascinated by them. Good thing for me since mine is quite ample. Great post!!

• Natalia April 10, 2012 at 1:20 am #

haha, love it! I guess most guys are, my husband included! So I guess he’s passed it on… But funny a little… hehe

9. Eva April 11, 2012 at 1:29 am #

Natalia- i can totally re late to you! My husband plays basketball for the town next to saint etienne- even smaller and known for …nothing. I live in germany so i travel back and forth to wherever he is playing and people always call me a jet setter and think what i am doing is so glamourous…but it so is not. Most places he played at are places i would never care about going to if it wasnt for him.
    I got so frustrated on my last france trip. it was really nice weather and we wanted to go to a park and have a picnic, no big deal really…but we found no nice park!  We spent hours walking around trying to find a certain one and when we finally found it it was a freaking trailer park. It was absurd. there where strollers hanging in trees. It looked like the gypsy camp in sherlock Holmes 2. Lol . I was thinking about you a couple of times that day really just admiring you for what you are doing!!

• Natalia April 11, 2012 at 11:10 am #

I can totally understand!! It may look glamourous on the outside, but it is hard! And still has all the other normal life things too! What city do you live in? Your husband probably knows mine & vice versa, this basketball world is a small world, they seem to all know each other! Hang in there girl! If you are in St Etienne, then there is a nice park called Jean Marc. I am sure there are more, maybe in Parc du Pilat, but I haven’t been. Let’s stay in touch, it is always nice to know people in the same situation!