The weather is warming up and we’re all headed to the water! Okay, maybe not just yet, but we’re getting closer! I thought it would be the perfect time to share a simple beach makeup routine for when you’re by the water. It’s simple and natural so it doesn’t look or feel like you have a ton of makeup on but just enough to brighten you up. It’s SPF and water resistant, the perfect beach makeup routine for the summer!
Now you might be thinking “why the heck do I need to wear makeup to the beach?” And you don’t. I totally get it, no one wants to get gussied up for a day at the beach. However, I know that when I’m going throughout my day with my makeup is done and I happen to catch a glance of myself in the mirror, I sure feel a whole lot better when that face looks nice. You’ll see below the difference between my ‘unpainted’ face and after I’m done. If I have an extra 10 minutes to spare, you better believe I’m doing it!
Beach Makeup Routine
IT’s really simple and if you use my 6-step makeup tutorial, this has just a few variations of it. Here is what you’ll need:
- Primer – I use Younique mineral primer and I really love it. Starting with primer helps your makeup to stay put and not crease throughout the day.
- BB or CC Cream with a SPF – gotta make sure you protect your skin! I use the Aveeno CC Cream with SPF 30.
- Concealer – only if you need it. Mostly when I’m going to the beach it’s not a big deal, but I had a few spots on my cheek I wanted to conceal a bit.
- Waterproof eye liner – I use this one which is great for making a cat eye, but it’s also waterproof so if you get wet, it’s not going to stream down your face!
- Neutral eye shadow – You can also skip this step if you like, but it definitely adds a bit. I always use a very neutral color so it’s enough to give dimension to my eyes but it’s not a ton of work.
- Waterproof Mascara – For obvious reasons! Even if you don’t plan to get in the water, sweat and the threat of getting splashed is enough for me to whip out the waterproof mascara! I use this one and it STAYS.
- Bronzer – This is a great option to take the place of blush. It gives your faec dimension and color and the perfect bronze for a day in the sun! Vitamin D is great, but we all know too much isn’t good for our skin. Bronzer can help with the effect without the damages! Makes you feel better about wearing a high SPF!I’ve used Clinique bronzer for a while and love it.
Now here’s how I do it. It’s super simple, like I promised!
- Start with a fresh, clean face and apply the primer. Apply it all over your face and neck including your eye lids.
- Then add the CC Cream. Just smooth it out all over onto your face and neck. No need for a makeup brush or blender to apply it, just use your hands and wash them after.
- Then I did a little spot correcting with my concealer, but like I said, you can skip this step if you don’t need it. Less is more for this look!
- Apply the neutral eye shadow to just the lid of your eyes. No need to go up on your brow bone, just a simple one color.
- Apply the waterproof eye liner right along your lash line. It’s just enough to make your eyes pop, but the more natural looking the better.
- Apply the waterproof mascara.
- Apply the bronzer to your cheeks like it’s blush. You can also bring the bring the blush up onto your forehead near your hairline and down under your chin kind of creating the shape of the number 3. It’s an easy way to add some contouring and color and you’re already using the bronzer anyway!
- It’s a good idea to add some SPF lip balm. I made the mistake of not doing this the other day and my lips were quite chapped after!
That’s it! Now, keep in mind, less is more with this look. I love it. I feel so free and even more confident when I am natural. That’s why I love doing tutorials like this, it’s a little of both. Enough makeup to feel nice, but it didn’t take too much time or effort to get there!
Now throw your towel and suit in a bag and get out there! You’re ready to enjoy the water, looking great and not worrying about makeup running down your face!
Have a great Monday!